Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti (7795 Views)

Dasukigate: Religious And Tribal Lesson By Anonymous / Sacking Of Darius Ishaku Is Supported By Law, Fayose Is Ignorant --Godson36 / Nairaland And Tribal Fights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Akolawole(m): 12:16am On Jun 13, 2006
It is now illegal for Parents to inscribe Tribal marks on their children in Ekiti. similarly tatto is also banned .

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jun/12/15.html

Is this a Right step?

Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by DaHitler(m): 12:23am On Jun 13, 2006
The tattoo part is a bit too far. But I support the ban on tribal marks. No one should have to have permanent marks carved on their face with out their consent.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by alarinjo(m): 12:44am On Jun 13, 2006
Ethnic scarification (aka tribal marks) played a very functional role in pre-colonial Nigerian societies. In the modern world, that role has become meaningless. A child should not have to go through the torture of ridicule all his/her life because of a decision in which he/she had no part. The practice should only be banned on children below a certain age however, say 18, 21?

Banning the practice without educating the would be subscribers (illiterate parents for example) of the meaninglessness of the act is only going halfway and that us not satisfactory.

If an adult decides to get a facial scarification or tattoo, it is up to them, and it should not be for the government to decide whether or not they can get it.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Seun(m): 12:47am On Jun 13, 2006
This is a good step to protect defenceless children from their ignorant parents. Children are not properties.

If there's a plastic surgeon who can surgically remove tribal marks, such a surgeon will make a lot of money.

I'm concerned about the specific details of the law, but we already know that it'll not be efficiently enforced.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by alarinjo(m): 1:01am On Jun 13, 2006
The issue is, of course, a little more complex than it seems at first glance. I think we have so far been addressing this issue only within the context of ethnic identification. Like I said earlier, it is totally meaningless and not called for in a modern world. But parents do not always administer facial scarification because they consider their children as property.

One other reason many people get facial scarifications is because it is tied to ritualistic beliefs. In the case of a seriously sick infant, a helpless, illiterate parent who is poor and has no access to free health care may opt for a traditional healer and the prescribed sickness may involve the scaring of the child's face.

How does the govt. expect parents in such a situation to deal with such a scenario? Live with the torture of not knowing if their child will live or do whatever lies within their power to do, albeit based on limited knowledge? If govt. does not provide the necessary health care and education to its citizens, then such a ban is at the best shortshrift, and at the worst hypocritical.

The fact that in the 21st century Nigerians still get facial scarifications for health and security reasons only reveals shortcomings of the govt. to provide basic health care, security and education.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by hotangel2(f): 1:29am On Jun 13, 2006
The tribal marks own i support. The tatoo own, is a bit too far.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Drusilla(f): 2:48am On Jun 13, 2006
Hopefully somebody will be able to start a new face jewelry business. That will make available traditional African scarification patterns.

In 200 years they'll wear the face jewelry in memory of their ancient traditions on that holiday.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by alarinjo(m): 2:59am On Jun 13, 2006
@Drusilla

Creative business proposal. Are you proposing a national holiday in honor of facial scarification?
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Drusilla(f): 4:06am On Jun 13, 2006
Alarinjo,

No I am saying when they have a one day or so holiday to honor their anscestors. Then they can wear the face jewelry as part of the holiday costume.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by alarinjo(m): 4:08am On Jun 13, 2006
Sounds very cool! grin
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by mochafella(m): 7:44am On Jun 13, 2006
Interesting, good idea I guess, though most "unnecessary" cultural norms die out naturally as a society becomes more educated.

Enforcement now becomes the issue, especially the provisions banning child hawking. Money can be very powerful motivation for law-breaking.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Drusilla(f): 8:37am On Jun 13, 2006
Mocha,

I agree.

Wouldn't it have been nice for the people if instead of the stick alone.

They also got the carrot?

Facial scarring must end and we will enforce that by law.

However, the beauty and uniqueness of facial scarring designs however will be preserved in the so and so muesem and the muesem will also sell facial jewelry that is glued on (just like regular facial jewelry now) in the design of the specific tribe. (at least until others pick up on the selling of it.)

Tourists could buy their own facial jewelry, take pictures in it.

Africans are generally only offered the stick in this world, it would be good if we could think ourselves to offer the carrot. smiley
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Akolawole(m): 11:29am On Jun 13, 2006
hot-angel:

The tribal marks own i support. The tatoo own, is a bit too far.

Afeni:

The tattoo part is a bit too far. But I support the ban on tribal marks. No one should have to have permanent marks carved on their face with out their consent.

Why do you people like the evil of western countries while you condemn the evil in Nigeria.

We can as well rename Tattoe as tribal marks of the body.

1) Tribal marks should be banned and

2) Tatoo of U-18 should be banned [ How would you explain compelling a child to inscribe Tatoo against his/her wish]

Once a child become Adult, can then choose to do Tatoo or not.

Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by favourite(f): 12:02pm On Jun 13, 2006
the tribal mark should be permanently banned, at least so that they can look like normal human beings
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by molluma(f): 4:17pm On Jun 13, 2006
hooray for the law.but lets hope it would be implemented properly. at least children in ekiti state wont have to have their faces permanently disfigured, especially when they have no say in the matter. my problem is Nigeria has issues with continuity.the next governor might not see it as an issue and so be lackadaisical bout the whole thing. well other states should learn and follow suit.so also the other arms of government should all work together to make it a reality.
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by omogenaija(f): 6:53am On Jun 27, 2007
the tribal mark is understandable , but i believe that everyone has the right to decide if thy want a tatoo or not undecided
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by spoilt(f): 8:46pm On Jan 11, 2009
I have tattos. Will i be stopped at the gates of Ekiti state? grin
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by earTHMama: 9:54pm On Jan 11, 2009
He did ban tribal marks but refused to ban political murders in Ekitu state? undecided
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 12, 2009
earTHMama:

He did ban tribal marks but refused to ban political murders in Ekitu state? undecided

He cant ban who he supposedly is. undecided
Re: Child Right Law: Fayose Ban Tattoos And Tribal Marks In Ekiti by Muza(m): 4:11pm On Jan 15, 2009
Ekiti,just a nest of killers

(1) (Reply)

FG To Buy 30 New Aircrafts For Aviation Industry / Breaking News: AIT, PDP propaganda against GMB failed (photo) / Senator Shehu Sani Casts His Vote At Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.