Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Relocating To Abuja From Lagos - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To Abuja From Lagos (39374 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Driving From Lagos To Abuja / Aero Contractor 6k To Abuja From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Katieposh(f): 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Buy bread come!
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nextworldnx(m): 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
raqueal: .

With 200k/ 250, he'll get a detached bis sized self con in Kubwa and live like a king with security and water he doesn't have to go as far as Lugbe. Daylight robbery? Where? Bush market? Big buses? Maka gini? When most every private car owner in Abuja picks up passengers for 100/150 naira for 15-25 minutes non-stop distance. When cabs would charge you probably 800 for the same trip?
I stay in Dawaki extention which is opp Galadinma and I spend 330 naira or 430 max daily to Wuse 2 without taking big buses. My rent is 200k, my water runs and I v security. I go to Dutse market which is like most Lagos markets but cheaper. So what are we saying?

Pls can I get ur contact or any agent dat stays around dawaki extension? I will love to get a room n parlour. For a good price I hope. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Gerald007(m): 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Though life in abuja is expensive,u can still make it if u cut ur coat according to ur size. . .As a lagosian who came 2 abuja a mth ago,i would say abuja has opportunities(met 2 powerful men here).transportatn is cheap here wit cabs chargng 4oo to ur destinatn,5o for taxis nd elrufai buses. . . Bt accmdatn is so expensive u cud use house rent in utako 2 build a house in ur village.. .i love abuja for its serenity bt it cud be boring atimes mst people forming class nd posh.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nextworldnx(m): 11:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
kevoh: Guy sharply move to Abuja if you are sure of your source of income. Once you sort your accomodation out, every other thing will be piece of cake. I'll suggest Saburi,Dei-Dei to you for accomodation, one room and parlour there goes for 270k to 300K with steady water and electricity.
Don't let anyone fool you, there are enough opportunities in Abuja.

Bros! Help a broda, I need ur contact to help with abt dat location. I need a room n parlour for a good price. Thanks
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by EZECO(m): 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
Lol...
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by afrokid(m): 1:23am On Nov 13, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: In general, Abuja is twice expensive than Lagos. Believe it or not.

I will not totally agree with u on that, transport in abuja is somehow the same or in some cases cheaper than lagos, if you take a vehicle for N100 just know that its gonna be a long journey unlike lagos where its shorter, in terms of feeding there are still areas where u can get mama put but housing seems to be the main issue
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by afrokid(m): 1:27am On Nov 13, 2013
2ru-talk:

Spot on! I have spent a few months in Abuja and over 6 years in Lagos. Any creature be it human or animal that can survive in Lagos can survive anywhere in the world even in terms of income and expenditure. Somebody mentioned Suleja and other areas around Abuja that have lower cost of rent. People in Abuja see Suleja as being very far from Abuja main town, hence high cost of transportation and much stress. But places with far distance like Sango Ota, Okokomaiko, Agbara to Lagos Island is more than twice the distance from Suleja to Abuja, yet some Abuja residents regard such journey (Suleja to Abuja) as far and stressful. When people say Abuja is too expensive compared to Lagos they should equally take cognizance of the part of Abuja and part of Lagos in question. If a room and parlour self-contain in Abuja costs about 300-400k, we should also consider the price of similar apartment in a place like Victoria Island, Ikoyi, VGC etc.

Guy, u just said my mind, I don't see the difference between abuja and those places yet they say abuja is expensive when we in lag can't live in those areas
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 1:30am On Nov 13, 2013
honey86: Abuja in my opinion is too expensive for those who are just starting life. please stay back in lagos. Accommodation, transport and food stuffs is do expensive unless you want to be going to the outskirts to shop.
It's only accomodation that's expensive. Transportation and Food items are cheaper and better when compared to Lagos. Though i don't think Abuja is somewhere someone goes to be financially whatever.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by afrokid(m): 1:33am On Nov 13, 2013
mystical10: for me is like from fire to friying pan. U can still try.hmm but i tink abj is far beter than lag. I pity lag ppl, if God gv u 80yrs to live on earth and u re in lagos the pson wil die @50 due to stress. Lagosians are liable to die young acording to report

Guy, you're funny
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by bennieman: 3:27am On Nov 13, 2013
sam.baba32@yaho:
I love dis person dat sick for advice of relocating to abj, I was in abj and tins was going on fine wit me,imagine 4rm LAGOS to ABUJA 4rm ABUJA to SOUTH AFRICAN!!!!!to God be d glory as am writing dis nw am in sunny side in SOUTH AFRICAN!!!!!so u dat sick for advice of relocating to abj all I need to tell u is dat just follow ur mind gud locks!!

Your english is in dire need of deliverance. Haba!
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by lymelyte(m): 4:04am On Nov 13, 2013
jamp: Bros u can survive. I told myself in 2005(when I came for NYSC) that if okada men,meruwa etc can survive then me a graduate must survive.
To the glory of God am still in Abuja.
You are still in abuja doing what? Tell us naw.maybe u don join association of meruwa. cheesy
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by jaybabs1(m): 4:52am On Nov 13, 2013
Wadosky: my brother house rent in abuja is very high .
abuja is a very beautiful city but considering u r not financially stable ,you r not going to be staying in places like gwarinpa, asokoro, wuse,garki,maitama,.places like lugbe,kuje gwagwalada maraba nyanya masaka could match ur income.kubwa deidei suleja dutse can also match ur income.
a small self contain in lugbe can go between 250 to 300k per annum with or without water supply.
security is not that tight in abuja,daylight burglary is common in some certain areas.
foodstuffs are cheap when u go to bush markets around abuja.
transportation is affordable when you use big buses.
this pal spoke from real everyday experience.
All i can add is when u arrive u need to do alot of networking and publicity about ur profession. Network via associations, your religious denomination, traders selling materials you use for your profession, your friends and use your complimentary cards and small handbills. Package yourself and pray well. You'll be good. Then you can consider staying with a good friend before renting your own apartment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by striker07(m): 5:53am On Nov 13, 2013
I don't even agree that Abuja is more expensive than Lagos, I did my NYSC in abuja in 2008/09 there are places cheaper to live in Abuja than some areas in Lagos, apart from accomodarion,others like transport is cheaper, even food is almost thesame or could even be cheaper in some areas than Lagos.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by beelyjay45(m): 6:20am On Nov 13, 2013
Abuja with free accommodation and a car a 50k job is Managable
Abuja with paid accommodation and a car a 50k income is patchable
Abuja with paid accommodation and no car a 50k income your are working for the landlord and Transport company
Abuja with no accommodation and no car no income Bros stay in Lasgidi

But you should really have a plan, come in for 3 months look @ the biz environs. and check wether it suites you or not

4 Likes

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by biggiedol: 6:57am On Nov 13, 2013
1st.deolaw:
Please guys I need your advice and information.
I am a young man planning on relocating to Abuja from Lagos. I am still trying to be upright financially (not financially strong. Main reason for my relocation).
I would like to know:
1. The cost of renting a self-contained apartment (small size o).
2. How high food stuffs are.
3. Cost of transportation around town.
4. Secuirity strenght .
Thank you as your help a brother/son

Bro same time last year, I was in your position and I must let you know I didn't regret it, Abuja seems expensive buh more calm than Lagos, transportation in abuja is not as expensive as Lagos, the only expensive thing here is housing,also the houses are worth the price at times, getting a job is pretty difficult buh with time you will be sorted, the only thing is to believe in yourself and have the winning mentality, and don't forget this,you need a good friend to accommodate you before you can find your feet, but if you have funds, you can get an accomodation ranging from 100-300k one room self-contain, Bro life is good in Abuja. Welcome on board , don't be afraid your mate full here dey hustle .

3 Likes

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by freshdew: 6:59am On Nov 13, 2013
With ur income level,look for a house in Maraba. I stay in Asokoro. It really expensive here with all the state govts lodge here and state governors building dia personal houses all around here,its only going to be more expensive. My 2 u Op-go 2 Maraba-stay well.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by osram(m): 7:17am On Nov 13, 2013
1st.deolaw:
I will make more earnings in Abuja compared lagos but the fear of spending worries me. I will earn double of my ends as at now.
Please what about business opportunities in Abuja?
are u gay?dts d only biz dt thrives in abuja
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by zuker: 7:23am On Nov 13, 2013
I moved from lag to abj like 3 yrs ago and I can deduce this.....
Abuja is cool and lovely to stay than Lag
Abuja is expensive and designed for the upwardly mobile people
If you dont have a good salary job or not connected you have no business in Abuja
Lagos has more opportunities than Abuja as ordinary people can start from scratch and makeit....but Abuja unless you are connected its difficult for ordinary people here. And the govt ensure they do all the laws to frustrate them.
Also my savings dropped ever since I move here.

Dont forget you can make it overnight in abuja so if you are the adventurous type why not
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 13, 2013
2ru-talk:

Spot on! I have spent a few months in Abuja and over 6 years in Lagos. Any creature be it human or animal that can survive in Lagos can survive anywhere in the world even in terms of income and expenditure. Somebody mentioned Suleja and other areas around Abuja that have lower cost of rent. People in Abuja see Suleja as being very far from Abuja main town, hence high cost of transportation and much stress. But places with far distance like Sango Ota, Okokomaiko, Agbara to Lagos Island is more than twice the distance from Suleja to Abuja, yet some Abuja residents regard such journey (Suleja to Abuja) as far and stressful. When people say Abuja is too expensive compared to Lagos they should equally take cognizance of the part of Abuja and part of Lagos in question. If a room and parlour self-contain in Abuja costs about 300-400k, we should also consider the price of similar apartment in a place like Victoria Island, Ikoyi, VGC etc.

you're right...
Consider the cost of accommodation in Ikoyi /VI/Lekki VS Garki/Wuse/Maitama. In Lagos, few people can afford to live in these high brow areas. Living in the outskirts: Kubwa, Lugbe, Gwarimpa etc isn't as far and stressful as setting out as early as 5am & crossing the 3rd mainland, Eko or carter bridge to and fro everyday.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 13, 2013
Op the only real challenge with abuja is accommodation.stay in places like masaka,nyanya.gwagwalada is ok but too boring.
Food is very cheap.Abuja is a class society which provides for all classes of people.just know your level,there are expensive restaurants everywhere and also cheap restaurants with good food everywhere.
Start planning to buy a car.You need it else transport will be challenging.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nosyke(m): 9:42am On Nov 13, 2013
freshdew: With ur income level,look for a house in Maraba. I stay in Asokoro. It really expensive here with all the state govts lodge here and state governors building dia personal houses all around here,its only going to be more expensive. My 2 u Op-go 2 Maraba-stay well.

^^Oh please shut that trap you call a mouth. You think because you claim to stay in Asokoro, others that live elsewhere are less humans than you. I can bet you are just squating with somebody. People that stay in Asokoro dont denigrate others.

@ Op, Abuja is not as difficult as most people make it seem. In places like Dutse, Bwari you can get self contained apartments (with or without water) with circa 200k per annum. Transportation might eat deep into your pocket but once you get familiar with the environment you will know the best routes to take.
If deep within you you are convinced and with God on your side, please come the sky is your limit. Its a beautiful place to be the peace of mind is unrivalled in this country.

I give thumbs up to those that live in Lagos!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl:

Why?
"Abuja is cool and lovely to stay than Lag
Abuja is expensive and designed for the
upwardly mobile people
If you dont have a good salary job or not
connected you have no business in Abuja
Lagos has more opportunities than Abuja as
ordinary people can start from scratch and
makeit....but Abuja unless you are connected
its difficult for ordinary people here. And the
govt ensure they do all the laws to frustrate
them."@zuker.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 13, 2013
freshdew: With ur income level,look for a house in Maraba. I stay in Asokoro. It really expensive here with all the state govts lodge here and state governors building dia personal houses all around here,its only going to be more expensive. My 2 u Op-go 2 Maraba-stay well.
Nyanya too.
OP their is a difference between moving to "Abuja" and moving to the "F.C.T".
The main abuja re places you pay 800k and above, the other places you've read above re just villages, with poor road networks, no water, very unstable electricity supply and d list goes on, and they re not cheap either!
Anyways Goodluck.
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by airclipse(m): 10:12am On Nov 13, 2013
1) Try n get a car....(transportation fare fit tear ur pocket....)
2)Try start as an underdog since ur ɴσт financially strong yet....(Bone flexing first)
3)Do not depend on anybody...(Dem fit fail u)
4)Food stuffs are affordable(go тσ markets тσ shop....nor go exclusive, or grand square o...)
5)ʟooк for accommodation in low cost areas....Goodluck cuz u go rili need am....
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by touche(m): 10:25am On Nov 13, 2013
1st.deolaw:
Please guys I need your advice and information.
I am a young man planning on relocating to Abuja from Lagos. I am still trying to be upright financially (not financially strong. Main reason for my relocation).
I would like to know:
1. The cost of renting a self-contained apartment (small size o).
2. How high food stuffs are.
3. Cost of transportation around town.
4. Secuirity strength .
Thank you as your help a brother/son

1. Living in Abuja, is similar to living abroad. Its tough and requires careful planning. First and foremost, come up with a realistic budget. I will suggest you stick to reality and budget 25% of total cash you have at hand for 1 year rent. Another 25% for second year rent. 25% for furnishing and the remaining 25% for savings, transport and daily upkeep.
Thus, if you have 2 million naira saved up, go for a self contained apartment that costs between 400,000 - 500,0000.

Budget 400,000 - 600,000 if you want to rent a self-contained apartment in AMAC (Abuja Municipal Area Council) which is within Abuja city and 200,000 - 350,000 for satellite towns. Whether you intend to work 9-5 or open a business you will most likely commute to AMAC daily. The road network is quite good so the duration of a trip from satellite towns to AMAC shouldn't exceed 30 mins if you depart early (before 7.15 am) and leave the office between 3.45 pm and 4.15 pm. Rush hour traffic build up usually starts between 7.30 am and 9.00 am and 4.30 pm - 7.30 pm.
Staying in satellite towns will be most comfortable for you if:
a. you have or can afford a small, reliable and fuel efficient vehicle or (power) bike
b. you can cope with public transport
c. you have good time management skills (can wake up early, depart for work early and leave office early to avoid rush hour traffic)
d. you don't have an active social life (most popular relaxation spots are located within AMAC)

However, if you can't cope with public transport (aje butter), don't intend to purchase a vehicle, I'd suggest you go for an apartment within AMAC where you can get private cabs for as low as 250 - 500 per trip or arrange with a cab driver to pick/drop you from/at your house/office morning/evenings daily for a reduced amount (this is what most people do).
Staying within AMAC (if you can afford it) is most beneficial to help maintain an active social life, and build your business network imho.

2. Cost of food stuffs, compared to Lagos prices, is relatively cheap. Abuja peeps prefer fast food joints and fish,pepper soup and nkwobi in gardens / restaurants. You might also consider shopping malls like spar and shoprite (prices are at par with local market prices). A To save costs, stick to eating at home as much as possible. Don't get caught up in the system.

3. The average cost of a drop (private cab) is between N300 - N500 within AMAC. From AMAC to outskirts of town, between N800 - N1500 while AMAC to airport between N1500 - N2500. Get a reliable cab driver and establish a good rapport with him to save time/costs. For public transport (taxi, sure-p buses, urban mass transit bus within AMAC; okada and danfo like buses in satellite towns) , it costs between N100 - N 200 per drop within AMAC, and N150 - above from AMAC to outskirts.
WARNING: GET A DEDICATED CAB IF POSSIBLE. OTHERWISE, BY ALL MEANS, AVOID PRIVATE, UNPAINTED CABS. NOTE THE NUMBER PLATE OF PAINTED CABS, CHECK BOOT IF POSSIBLE, AND OBSERVE DRIVER AND OTHER PASSENGERS BEFORE BOARDING. AVOID CABS PARKED AT ISOLATED AREAS OR CABS WITH OUTRAGEOUSLY LOW FARES. SIT CLOSE TO DOOR AND KEEP DOORS/WINDOWS UNLOCKED/DOWN, MAKE SURE DOORS/WINDOWS CAN BE OPENED/WOUND DOWN FROM INSIDE THE CAB. "ONE CHANCE" SYNDROME IS QUITE RAMPANT IN ABUJA, ESPECIALLY AROUND JABI/UTAKO AREA. MOST IMPORTANT, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

4. Security is EXCELLENT around AMAC and quite good around satellite towns. However:
- observe security measures in 3. above
- avoid going home late especially if you live in satellite towns, if you have to, move in a group
- travel light. have a small, utility phone for outdoor calls or late night movement (if you are the social/night crawler type). Holding/making use of a smart phones/tablets outdoors makes you a potential target for petty thieves
- don't carry too much cash around. utilize pos terminals as much as possible

The quality of life in Abuja is much better than Lagos (less traffic, better quality of housing, better power supply, more organized transport network, lower crime rate, less air and noise pollution). However, social life in Abuja is not as bubbly as Lagos. Abuja is more of an administrative capital, majority of residents are Muslim, conservative civil servants, bankers etc whose major form of relaxation is to 'hide' i.e sit in one of the numerous dimly lit 'gardens' and drink/eat to stupor on almost daily basis or picnic at recreational parks with their families. Lagos peeps on the other hand are more outgoing, like to be seen/noticed; less conservative. Most Lagos peeps will find Abuja boring socially. Business wise, there are more opportunities in Lagos, but less competition in Abuja.

Best of luck in your quest.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nosyke(m): 10:27am On Nov 13, 2013
airclipse: 1) Try n get a car....(transportation fare fit tear ur pocket....)
2)Try start as an underdog since ur ɴσт financially strong yet....(Bone flexing first)
3)Do not depend on anybody...(Dem fit fail u)
4)Food stuffs are affordable(go тσ markets тσ shop....nor go exclusive, or grand square o...)
5)ʟooк for accommodation in low cost areas....Goodluck cuz u go rili need am....

For a starter, is it maintaining a car that wont tear his pocket? fuel, repairs, incidentals, VIO etc nko, na free?

Funny enough groceries are quite cheap in places like NEXT, Spar and Shoprite. Those exclusive and Grand square people, na 'unarmed robbers' them be grin grin
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by airclipse(m): 10:56am On Nov 13, 2013
Nosyke:

For a starter, is it maintaining a car that wont tear his pocket? fuel, repairs, incidentals, VIO etc nko, na free?

Funny enough groceries are quite cheap in places like NEXT, Spar and Shoprite. Those exclusive and Grand square people, na 'unarmed robbers' them be grin grin
hahaha... True talk sha....bt WiтЂ a car he'll be better off....imagine I had тσ pay 1500k oneday frm jabi тσ kubwa...n I go stil come back тσ jabi o...#i regret that day....although 1500k might sound cheap тσ sum pple on here considering the distance.....bt me wey no get E pain me....#in kd, whr I wan go?? wey I go pay such amount....in fact my T.fare frm kd тσ abj was 1200, den inside abj I come dey pay 1500...haba....that ain't healthy for my pocket naω cry
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by Nosyke(m): 11:01am On Nov 13, 2013
airclipse: hahaha... True talk sha....bt WiтЂ a car he'll be better off....imagine I had тσ pay 1500k oneday frm jabi тσ kubwa...n I go stil come back тσ jabi o...#i regret that day....although 1500k might sound cheap тσ sum pple on here considering the distance.....bt me wey no get E pain me....#in kd, whr I wan go?? wey I go pay such amount....

ehn, you na chairman naw, unless e dey very urgent, you for enter cab 200 go berger, then enter 200 bus/private car from Berger go Kubwa, same thing for your return trip too.
With a car no doubt he will be better off, but considering his current financial state as a beginner, he needs to stabilise first and get to know the city well. Him suppose know say that on Fridays from 12-2pm, you nor fit drive pass sheraton side (mosque tins), by 4p,n to go through barnex to area 11 na die (hold up things) etc. Him suppose know say, if u no wear sit belt for Abj and FRSC/VIO catch am, na serious gobe be that.

grin grin grin
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by airclipse(m): 11:10am On Nov 13, 2013
Nosyke:

ehn, you na chairman naw, unless e dey very urgent, you for enter cab 200 go berger, then enter 200 bus/private car from Berger go Kubwa, same thing for your return trip too.
With a car no doubt he will be better off, but considering his current financial state as a beginner, he needs to stabilise first and get to know the city well. Him suppose know say that on Fridays from 12-2pm, you nor fit drive pass sheraton side (mosque tins), by 4p,n to go through barnex to area 11 na die (hold up things) etc. Him suppose know say, if u no wear sit belt for Abj and FRSC/VIO catch am, na serious gobe be that.

grin grin grin
#well said..... my broda I Knσω Knσω o....kai I rili waste money dat day....tanks for the tip...I done wise nσω.. cool
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by gbishman: 11:31am On Nov 13, 2013
well my friend, food stuffs and transportation are rather cheap as compared to lagos only that in abuja buses dnt operate like in lagos so ur best option are cabs which for me are rather ok as compared to lagos. The only killer is accomodation which is on the hight side except u wanna go stay at the outskirt of town like maraba, lugbe, kubwa which for me is like u saying u living in lagos and u staying in badagry or Ogba while u wrk in VI
Re: Relocating To Abuja From Lagos by angelseddy(f): 12:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
Oh dear don't be discouraged. The only thing is that getting a suitable accomodation at a cheap rate is impossible. If you have friends/family to chill with till you save up enough u'll be lucky. Food price is cool and transport too. My dear the ambience will make you 4get the challenges. Please go and have fun!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UK Man Confronts Nigerian Neighbour After He Stopped Him From Using His Wifi / Yet Again, Trailer Falls On Vehicle. (images) / Fatal Accident Along Sagamu-abeokuta Expressway, 2 Dead (disturbing Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.