Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,402 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators (10711 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Rhea(f): 12:03am On Jul 15, 2008
Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator Smart Adeyemi, has advocated an immediate ban on use of generators at home to ensure the success of the expected state of emergency on the power sector.

Senator Adeyemi, who stated this in an interview, said that all hands should be on deck for the success of the state of emergency in the power sector.

He said the government should immediately set a target date of two years to place a ban on use of generators at home.

“We can allow generators at business centres, but after two to three years, when the effects would have been seen, we can then place a total ban on use of generators in every sector. That is when everybody will pray for the success of the emergency,” Senator Adeyemi said.

He said by banning the importation of generators, the government could successfully tackle the cartel that ruined all initiatives in the power sector in the past.

Adeyemi said: “the president must summon the political will. We should take a cue from the way nations have solved their pressing problems. There is no way except leaders take the radical steps. Energy problems have been on for over two decades now and unless we effect change through reasonable radicalism, we may be a long way to success.”
http://www.tribune.com.ng/14072008/news/news7.html

This must have been one of the mad public office holders that Farida has talked about. grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 1:11am On Jul 15, 2008
why dyu think he is mad??what he is saying makes sense but i dont have any faith in it because it lacks political will for it to suceed,i cant imagine the generator importer's cartel allowing that nor the big bellied politicians
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Jul 15, 2008
How can placing a ban on generators make sense in a country like Nigeria?? What Next?? A Ban on use of solar panels and Windmills as well? Maybe Inverters will come next. What about the people’s right to alternative source of energy?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 2:13am On Jul 15, 2008
They banned chicken, we said nothing

They banned toilet roll we did nothing

They banned okrika (fairly used clothes), we acted like we did not notice

Now they want to ban generator, Hah!! the contry will go on strike be that o!!

Nigeria without generator?? even mr. president no go gree this one. Banks will fail, man-power output will drop, yawa go too much.

Simply put, its not do able.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Queenisha: 2:17am On Jul 15, 2008
who banned Chicken and toilet paper
abeg stop this kain joke
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 2:26am On Jul 15, 2008
No be only that o!!

They banned toothpick, matches, leather shoes, Tokunbo cars, the list plenty O!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by maxell(f): 2:33am On Jul 15, 2008
Esss:

They banned chicken, we said nothing

They banned toilet roll we did nothing

They banned okrika (fairly used clothes), we acted like we did not notice

The point was the govt wanted people to buy from local producers (save foreign exchange).

Now, the generator banning is baffling; how else are we going to get any power with PHCN completely
dilapidated ?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by blacksta(m): 6:15am On Jul 15, 2008
Sad state of Affairs

What i dont understand? - How are the cartels stoping this useless government from implementing or solving the power generation in Nigeria. Simply Solution - Solve this power generation and the need for generator simply goes away. I believe we have two seperate entities here
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 11:44am On Jul 15, 2008
for people who dont understand the context the man said it,what he means is that if generator use is banned,the rich in the society,politicians e.t.c will see the power problem as a clear and present danger and see it as a real emergency,for your information only the rich,politicians have acess to the generator, majority of nigerians cannot afford them and the only people making money out of this are the generator importers like oba otudeko and his cabal and the likes of otedola and co who sell diesels, so unless you think people's right to alternative source of power supercedes the average nigerian's right to have something done fast about the power crisis,
as far as i am concerned,the man made a noble statement considering he is a senator/politician in nigeria who ordinarily enjoys the perks of being a senator and isnt affected with the whole power issue
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 11:51am On Jul 15, 2008
OH ! "Special context" for this to make sense ROFLMAO!!!

Only rich people can afford generators at their homes?? So the many people who live in face to face and have generators are suddenly classified as rich and need to be handcuffed?? So No more freedom to import and buy generators instead as you want cause Government wants to fix electricity in Nigeria??  If these rich people and politicians do not see that the power problem is an emergency, Yar adua will not fix power??  ROFLMAO!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by deor03(m): 11:56am On Jul 15, 2008
If the Ban is going to cut across board, rich,poor, politicians, then No problem!!!

Otherwise No!!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by SENATORJD(m): 12:05pm On Jul 15, 2008
is the ban just to homes or all over including companies and orgs?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 12:05pm On Jul 15, 2008
tHE Economy will just 'collapse' sad

Most industries are spending heavy money on generators to stay 'alive'. Now they want to ban!

Give us light and you'll have every reason to ban
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Godalone(m): 12:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
If the ban will affect everybody,i think it is good for all.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by SENATORJD(m): 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2008
if thre is a ban without an action to effect a drastic change in the power sector to make things work then what use is the ban?
its like banning importation of rice and yet u dont have any whatsover in your country and no provision is being made to grow any.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

OH ! "Special context" for this to make sense ROFLMAO!!!

Only rich people can afford generators at their homes?? So the many people who live in face to face and have generators are suddenly classified as rich and need to be handcuffed?? So No more freedom to import and buy generators instead as you want cause Government wants to fix electricity in Nigeria?? If these rich people and politicians do not see that the power problem is an emergency, Yar adua will not fix power?? ROFLMAO!!
yes it does,im sure you know what context means,thats why you need to understand the context people say stuffs or it will have been a world war by now if we took all articles and statements from politicians the world over at face value.

well,im hazarding a guess and i think its been a while you have been to nigeria,seems you dont know how much a tokunbo or nigerian used 10kva generator goes for,or how much a drum of diesel goes for presently or hou much diesel you ll use for an average 9pm to 6am in the morning like 4/5days a week at least,they dont need to be hancuffed but they need to feel what the poor people are feeling and appreciate the emergency of the power sector.
by all means why shouldnt generator importers have freedom to do whatever,but not at the expense of the nation's power sector, an example is oba otudeko one of the top generator importers who got a contract in the 16billion dollars expose,and was part of the defaulters,if thats not sabotage,i wonder what is,
exactly,the rich are in the corridors of power,they are the jobbers,they have acess to the president's living room you dont ,the president has informal advisers who are ordinary biz men and who inform him on the pulse of the nation,seems you need to find out how the nigerian society works,govt
SENATOR JD:

if thre is a ban without an action to effect a drastic change in the power sector to make things work then what use is the ban?
its like banning importation of rice and yet u don't have any whatsover in your country and no provision is being made to grow any.
now that i agree totally with
Godalone:

If the ban will affect everybody,i think it is good for all.
yes o why not
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by faoni572(m): 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2008
Actaully the ban on generator is a good one, it will cut across all category of people like rich, average and the poor. It will let the government to see the power problem as a danger to the country.

My problem is that nothing works in this country, can the government backs it with action even if they see the power problem as a danger to the country?

As a result of this whether they ban the use of generator or not will not have any effect during the emergency period. I don't still believe that government will do anything on power problem.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2008
lucabrasi:

yes it does,im sure you know what context means,thats why you need to understand the context people say stuffs or it will have been a world war by now if we took all articles and statements from politicians the world over at face value.
You always try to create one of those so you can get away with silly reasoning. Lol

lucabrasi:

well,im hazarding a guess and i think its been a while you have been to nigeria,seems you don't know how much a tokunbo or nigerian used 10kva generator goes for,or how much a drum of diesel goes for presently or hou much diesel you ll use for an average 9pm to 6am in the morning like 4/5days a week at least,they don't need to be hancuffed but they need to feel what the poor people are feeling and appreciate the emergency of the power sector.

For the UMPTEENTH time , what has what you think of my person and how much I travel to do with this? What has the cost of tokunbo or Nigerian Used Generator to do with the ban? The rich need to be made to feel poor before Yar adua can fix electricity in Nigeria?? Did you think that one through?? Do you harbor some sort of detest for those who are richer than you are, or something?
lucabrasi:

by all means why shouldnt generator importers have freedom to do whatever,but not at the expense of the nation's power sector, an example is oba otudeko one of the top generator importers who got a contract in the 16billion dollars expose,and was part of the defaulters,if thats not sabotage,i wonder what is, .
What nations Power sector? The Power sector that has been deteriorating for so many years before people decided to turn to generators for power? Because of your issues with one particular importer of generators: generators which by the way, majority of Nigerians who are able to afford, willingly buy so they can get the electricity the government has failed for decades to provide them—you feel a ban is best way to harm him without considering that it harms even the poor in the same and also restricts the people and creates another monopoly in the process?

You don’t see how this move will force all to depend on the government in the end and if the government fails, they have practically no alternative if care is not taken? You do not see how small businesses (especially those that operate from homes) will be greatly affected.

lucabrasi:

exactly,the rich are in the corridors of power,they are the jobbers,they have acess to the president's living room you don't ,the president has informal advisers who are ordinary biz men and who inform him on the pulse of the nation,seems you need to find out how the nigerian society works,govtnow that i agree totally withyes o why not
Do you realize that whenever you debate, you seem to have a need to throw someone under the bus just because?? So all the rich in that country are evil and need to be punished, even when the poor will be punished by the same, as long as you get the rich, it is fine by you?? And then in the next breath, the same you will declare the same rich are morally obligated to you. Do you think these things through?? In what context can a ban on generators will reasonable in this Nigeria?
We have had so many bans in that country, how much good can we claim has come from any of them? We still import food, cars, everything, even with all the many bans. All they have done is help shift contracts from one hand to another.

Did Ghana need to ban generators to get its power system working as it ought to? What stops the Nigerian government from actually developing electricity as it should and allowing the people to shift from generators to electricity as the right thing for their situation? Will the same government have to ban Solar Panels, Wind Turbines and mills as well to FORCE people to depend on it?

Let me guess, you do not know that if that happens, the power companies will now have a monopoly on the electricity market and you will have no choice but to patronize them if you wanted electricity In that country?

Even if two years from now the government successfully deals with the power problem, why should the people not be allowed alternatives? If I want to continue powering my poor house with generator, and can afford it, why should I not be allowed to do so? And Please, do not come back with a new context linking this to the environment cause it is clear the man is not really concerned about such in his bid to ban generators.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 1:03pm On Jul 15, 2008
faoni572:

Actaully the ban on generator is a good one, it will cut across all category of people like rich, average and the poor. It will let the government to see the power problem as a danger to the country.
The Government is too morose to see the power problem as a danger today? Are you human? Do you think you deserve rights as a human?
faoni572:

My problem is that nothing works in this country, can the government backs it with action even if they see the power problem as a danger to the country?
Nothing works but a ban on generator is a good one?? This plan is not even to help clean up the environment but to help your own government see what people have known for decades now? Are you sure you really hold yourself high here?
faoni572:

As a result of this whether they ban the use of generator or not will not have any effect during the emergency period. I don't still believe that government will do anything on power problem.
But you are willing to accept a ban on generators for poor people. Rich people can always switch their homes to businesses to get past the ban, and the many poor who are not savvy will suffer this and you think a ban is a good idea, knowing what you know of how things work in that country?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by SENATORJD(m): 1:11pm On Jul 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

The Government is too morose to see the power problem as a danger today? Are you human? Do you think you deserve rights as a human? Nothing works but a ban on generator is a good one??
Beats me!!!a problem that has lingered for a long time and suddenly its a ban they feel would resolve the power problem.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by frag(m): 1:11pm On Jul 15, 2008
Here we go again,that was a nigerian senator chatting rubbish. We need to ban the importation of everything so that we can realise how useless we are not just gens. Nigerians,thats what u get when u vote for idiots. Open your eyes next time.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 1:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
I do not support the ban in anyway.

People reserve the right to provide basic amenities for themselves. Take a look at the water situation in Nigeria. Let the federal government ban the drilling of individual boreholes and lets all depend on the Nigerian Water Works for water, people will suffer. No, I take that back, people will die.

Banning the importation or use of generators will only lead to the collapse of the economy. Even with generators, people still pay exhorbitant bills to PHCN for no service. Instead of banning generators, let the government allow for foriegn investors to come in and provide independent power, just like MTN, Celtel, e.t.c. People will pay any amount for power if they are guaranteed constant and steady power supply. Its not as if the price of petrol and diesel are cheap anyways.

The government does not have the right to ban generators. Infact Nigeria is running on generator, take this away and watch the resulting effect of such an unproductive ban.

Lets face the issue at hand and stop looking for what to ban/blame.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 1:17pm On Jul 15, 2008
. . .that z why I said the economy will go COMATOSE
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by cooldude62(m): 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2008
please place a big BAN
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by chioya(f): 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
they should ban bad government first before they ban generators.idiots angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
If they want a productive ban, Let them ban generators in all federal parastatals and offices, starting with the presidential villa, gorvernment houses, Federal and states secretariats, Federal and states houses of assemblies, the judiciaries, e.t.c. Then they will sit up.

Why punish the people for the crime of the government.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by nedra: 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
dat wud hv bn a good idea for a country dat d govt cares abt its people, but for a country like nigeria where d level of arrogance and "i dont care attitude " is high, it will neva work, shame on dis useless country
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Pataki: 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
Of all people to talk, Smart Adeyemi is talking.

I used to have respect for him when he was the president of NUJ, not until he got involved in the syndrome of financial scam eating the nation.

Now he is talking of ban on generators. . . This is so ludicrous grin grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2008
Esss:

If they want a productive ban, Let them ban generators in all federal parastatals and offices, starting with the presidential villa, gorvernment houses, Federal and states secretariats, Federal and states houses of assemblies, the judiciaries, e.t.c. Then they will sit up.

angry not jus ban,distroy too,so they all live in total darkness.Then n only then will they sit up indeed!  angry  angry
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by SENATORJD(m): 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2008
Esss:

because the people have to take the gun for their stupid and wicked moves. take the last Nupeng strike.in abuja i never saw so many NASS cars or Presidency cars or their convoys had to go que for fuel?
power sector they can't fix and yet they can ban? Beats me!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by nedra: 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2008
imagine small countries like gabon, cameroun and ghana celebrating one yr of uninterrupted power supply, nigerian nepa will even off light on christmas day just imagne dat kind of nonense. its so disheartening
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by mosunade(f): 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2008
you guys make too much noise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

India Seeks To Import 11m Metric Tonnes Of Nigerian Crude In 2017 / Etisalat Is 5 Years Today In Nigeria! / What Profitable Business Can I Invest 3 Million Naira Into???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.