Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work (29707 Views)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff! / Danfo Drivers/conductors To Wear Uniforms And Badges In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by juman(m): 7:29am On Nov 12, 2013
The drivers would still make money.

There are three 8 hours in a day.

The driver on the first shift would hand over to the second driver after 8 hours driving. Then after another 8 hours the first driver would take over again making his driving hours 16 hours that day. While the second driver would drive 16 hours the second day. So they rotate it like that daily.

Or they can make it 4-4 hours after the first 8 hours driving.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by 4q: 7:29am On Nov 12, 2013
These guys thinks we are already a developed country.

Common sense is no longer common.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by iheneme(m): 7:33am On Nov 12, 2013
Very soon if you sneeze for Lagos them go arrest you. Eko don baje oo
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by YEBOBBY: 7:33am On Nov 12, 2013
i Suggest that the state government should first enforce restriction on traillers and big trucks
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Delafruita(m): 7:33am On Nov 12, 2013
talktimi: it has long been in practice for inter state journeys within Nigeria, the new scenario we are talking about is for intra state/inner city commercial drivers and i dont believe the claim that many accidents involving danfo drivers are caused by drowsiness at least until verifiable statistics are provided. [b][/b]I personally know that most danfo accidents are caused by reckless drivers and or faulty mechanicals like brake failure due to poor maintenance of vehicles which puts the vio, mot & road safety officials under a bad spotlight.
and you attained the knowledge extolled in the bolded after extensive research?or its just another brand of beer parlour statistics
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by ojimbo(m): 7:33am On Nov 12, 2013
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst,,,, does traffic law in lagos includes allowing thoes dirty touts that calls them self ALAYE to take over the roads of lagos state, even if government want to impose a tax on commercial buses, cant they find any other reasonanble and more conducive way of conducting the exercise than sending millions of dirty rats on the roads to be shouting and commiting nuisance, and let me put it to your sence mr governor, we are africans, we have strength more that white people, so dont interfer in the ways which we do our works here and the time which we spend in our works, after all during your campaigns, you used every hours of your time to run around seeking for votes from okada riders, commercial bus riders, market women, students, now you have one, its just 3 hours at office, other hours with ASHAWO in a hotel, one week at office, 3 weeeks leave in United Kingdom, who is fooling who?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by sukky4(f): 7:35am On Nov 12, 2013
End tym tinzzzz
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by vickyjay2407(m): 7:37am On Nov 12, 2013
Pls guys, read well and use ur brains. Buses won't stop working after 8hrs. Drivers would work on 8hr shifts. That's reasonable (more job creation for drivers sef). Its a welcome development. Atleast some drivers can also do better and meaningful things with their spare times like staying with their families or singing fuji lol. Fatigue kills faster than AIDS. Sanity should be brought into lagos garages and roads. But honestly; lastma and police shld be checked!!!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by nex(m): 7:42am On Nov 12, 2013
There's no danfo that works 8 hours straight. I have actually spoken with the Lagos Commissioner for Transport one on one during a BBC organized media event, and he told me and a friend that he plans to remove all the structures sustaining poverty in the state so that poor people will have no other choice than to get rich or ship out. He didn't see that there could be other options which would turn out o be out of his control.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by buJu234: 7:46am On Nov 12, 2013
this mega lagos city frame work plan its like it doesnt have consideration for the poor and average people of Lagos oo..

8hrs

so how will the poor gate man that closes his work@ ikoyi or VI @ 7pm get to his house at Sango Ota.

Or

How will he be able to resumed as early as 6am at his place of work .... when there will b no danfo bus at that time
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Michky: 7:49am On Nov 12, 2013
beauty&Brains:
8hrs? Oh really? I have just one question, when does it start and when does it end? Cuz by 4am you have lagosians trying to get to work in a bid to bit traffic and get there early. If its 8hrs, from 4am by 11am work ends? No buses? Did people really sit to think about it? I'm lost, this is a very ill-thought out plan sorry to say. It makes absolute no sense.. None what so ever.. So when does the 8hrs end? And what happens to the citizens stranded on the road? Citizens who do not own cars? This is a joke. A bad joke.
Please dont mind the dumb fashola laws. The guy and his crew just enact laws without fine reasoning. He's just so dumb attimes. Mistake after mistake. Is that what Lagosians deserve? I support no party btw (just saying). Problem is, after the damage must have been done, they eat back their words, apologise and then return to statusquo. Fine; Its very okay to make mistakes. But when it becomes one too many, there's definitely a big problem. E.g: Foolishly ejecting the popular 911 buses without understanding that brt buses can only do so much. Deporting the easterners and braging about it on national dallies, forgeting that their voices always count in Lagos elections plus many many more errors. Shame.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by vickyjay2407(m): 7:52am On Nov 12, 2013
BRF is a good strategist. Imagine if this working module or strategy is adopted by the entire workforce, civil service, corporate organisations etc. There would be lots of job creation. This is what is done in europpe and americas and that's why there's job available for whoever is qualified and ready to work. International labour Organisation supports shift works for more job creation, but in Nigeria; na 1 man go work 8-5 monday to saturday. Our recreational senses is all vanished. No family time, no holidays. Some civil servants have other trades they can also do if working on shift. Nigeria!!!! C'mon and wake up. Support the "shift" working system!!!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by rabzy: 7:59am On Nov 12, 2013
I wonder how they are going to enforce this. I know many of those drivers already run shifts on their own because its quite strenuous to drive for 12 hrs continuously on Lagos roads. Even the bus conductors dont work everyday they also rest on some days.

But it is the Agbero law they should enforce, these people are in everybodys face and they are terrorising the poor drivers and commuters everyday.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by dartsidius7(m): 8:03am On Nov 12, 2013
I think more needs be done in terms of curbing their lawlessness. They don't obey traffic laws .(and for some funny reason, don't get arrested by lastma officials), they drive recklessly, most of them are usually under the influence, they make money but never maintain their buses. I dont think fatigue is the major cause of their accidents. but the fact is that, unlike factory workers that work for 12 hours at the risk and detriment of thier own health, whatever affects the Danfo driver puts not just his passengers at risk but other road users too. The idea of of insuring the passengers is lovely. I think the government should limit the activities of the touts too. If their association does not do something to control them, the government would come out with tougher policies that will affect them.[b]I think more needs be done in terms of curbing their lawlessness. They don't obey traffic laws .(and for some funny reason, don't get arrested by lastma officials), they drive recklessly, most of them are usually under the influence, they make money but never maintain their buses. I dont think fatigue is the major cause of their accidents. but the fact is that, unlike factory workers that work for 12 hours at the risk and detriment of thier own health, whatever affects the Danfo driver puts not just his passengers at risk but other road users too. The idea of of insuring the passengers is lovely. I think the government should limit the activities of the touts too. If their association does not do something to control them, the government would come out with tougher policies that will affect them.[/b]I think more needs be done in terms of curbing their lawlessness. They don't obey traffic laws .(and for some funny reason, don't get arrested by lastma officials), they drive recklessly, most of them are usually under the influence, they make money but never maintain their buses. I dont think fatigue is the major cause of their accidents. but the fact is that, unlike factory workers that work for 12 hours at the risk and detriment of thier own health, whatever affects the Danfo driver puts not just his passengers at risk but other road users too. The idea of of insuring the passengers is lovely. I think the government should limit the activities of the touts too. If their association does not do something to control them, the government would come out with tougher policies that will affect them.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by lertee(f): 8:04am On Nov 12, 2013
SLIDE waxie: i knw some comments like urs will be worth quoting, hence..the reserved space!

Is there something u are missing? Like a common sense? Anywhere 'lagos' is mentioned, ur common sense eludes u and the only things coming outta ur mouths are nonsense without logic.

The trick her is, 'no driver', not 'no bus' (will be allowed to drive at 8hrs a stretch)!
Which means a bus can have two or more drivers fuckin her! Some already do that.

Except a driver on enhancement drugs, which its avoidance is the main reason behind this law, no sane man can drive those cars on an 8 hrs stretch! Especially wen they are not even automatics!

These drivers are on drugs, and u knw it!

What will u say abt their health risks, domestic abuse they dished out due to drugs, accidents, etc. Is insuring the passengers and the cars also a bad move?

Like someone will say, 'a wretched man thinks all laws are against him, the rich makes them work for him'...the difference btw the rich and the wretched is common sense..only a wise man, with God's help can make wealth!

KINGwax™
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Michky: 8:07am On Nov 12, 2013
rabzy: I wonder how they are going to enforce this. I know many of those drivers already run shifts on their own because its quite strenuous to drive for 12 hrs continuously on Lagos roads. Even the bus conductors dont work everyday they also rest on some days.

But it is the Agbero law they should enforce, these people are in everybodys face and they are terrorising the poor drivers and commuters everyday.
ANOTHER FASHOLA ERROR: There was a time the dumbas kicked the touts outta the motor parks without even thinking of the consequences or providing viable alternatives. After crime rate in Lagos almost trippled within a record time, hence accentuating the flaws of our police quicker, the fash govt had no choice but to revert his dumbly thought-out decision. God help us.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by lertee(f): 8:08am On Nov 12, 2013
Green buses popularly known as Araba was banned in abuja and the fct govt provided few buses and this makes it tough kinda for residents without personal car to move from place to place.
I think the lagos state govt is even a bit considerate.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by talktimi(m): 8:09am On Nov 12, 2013
Delafruita: and you attained the knowledge extolled in the bolded after extensive research?or its just another brand of beer parlour statistics
mr man this is a public forum, if you have any contrary argument then post it for all to see abeg. Besides how are we sure you're not in a beer parlor right now sef
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by sharawwy(m): 8:09am On Nov 12, 2013
Eko oni baje oooo
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by tayork(m): 8:13am On Nov 12, 2013
Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.
That one thing about you people, u all wanna go to america and you insult the government that they are not making the country good, is there anything like okada or danfo in europe,,,,no wonder it hard to experience traffic jam over there....secondly can't you see how accident happen and it the long buses that causes it due to d drug they take besides they don't even maintain the danfo well so what will government do to satisfy you people
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by codeworks(m): 8:13am On Nov 12, 2013
If they want to actualise this task, they need GPS Technology. not only will reduce manpower will save government lot of money. is a shame that Nigeria is yet to utilise this technology called GPS/satellite technology.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by christiscomin: 8:16am On Nov 12, 2013
I love this, they should only please addd regulation of the transport fare, so this drivers won't have excuse of rain and hold-up to push up the fare
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Davidolives(m): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2013
beauty&Brains:
8hrs? Oh really? I have just one question, when does it start and when does it end? Cuz by 4am you have lagosians trying to get to work in a bid to bit traffic and get there early. If its 8hrs, from 4am by 11am work ends? No buses? Did people really sit to think about it? I'm lost, this is a very ill-thought out plan sorry to say. It makes absolute no sense.. None what so ever.. So when does the 8hrs end? And what happens to the citizens stranded on the road? Citizens who do not own cars? This is a joke. A bad joke.
4 ur mind u don talk abi?y dont u pple read well.dont u know we have more drivers dan buses
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Durchmann(m): 8:18am On Nov 12, 2013
These guys are crazy...

How about those street urchins who lay siege at every bus-stop in the state chanting, "OWO DA!"?

Clueless folks...

SMH...
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Flakkydagirl: 8:20am On Nov 12, 2013
Baba what's the way forward?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 12, 2013
Delafruita: how will anyne in his right senses assume its alright for commercial bus drivers to work 24hrs at a stretch?methinks comprehension is the major problem of some people.the law explicitly states 8hrs at a STRETCH meaning the focus is that there should be breaks.these drivers should be encouraged to take 2-3 hrs in a day to calm their nerves and regain focus and concentration.most drivers of danfo remain at the wheel all day.they even eat at the wheel which does nothing but put commuters lives at risk.

For those talking about enforcing the law,we are all witnesses to the fact that when fashola sets his mind on a course,he makes a law and always finds a way to enforce it.in this case,implementation might be via the unions.whichever the case,this is a good law and should be supported by all and sundry
Ode! Those of you running ur mouth here ar either staying on d island or u don't us PT,what happens if fagba to ikeja becomes #250?...so because u av a white collar job danfo drivers shud start working 8hrs too abi? Where is ur reasoning faculty? When I say 24hrs dem no teach u figure of speech for school abi? #oponu.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by sundyke107: 8:22am On Nov 12, 2013
Too many laws in Lagos state....Hard and fast policies with little or no Plan B.

God help us all!!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by rman: 8:26am On Nov 12, 2013
The average Nigerian is so not smart.

Are some posters against the law or Fashola?

Some even make ridiculous posts as if there will be no buses after a specific period.

Implementation may be difficult but concerning the objective, this is a welcome development.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 12, 2013
tayor_k:
That one thing about you people, u all wanna go to america and you insult the government that they are not making the country good, is there anything like okada or danfo in europe,,,,no wonder it hard to experience traffic jam over there....secondly can't you see how accident happen and it the long buses that causes it due to d drug they take besides they don't even maintain the danfo well so what will government do to satisfy you people
Listen to ur self,so no accidents in europe? Funny thing we don't know is d@ drinking and driving case in europe is more dan what we av in nigeria, dey can drink anytin drinkable,and what u trying to tell me now is d@ lagbuses don't av accidents abi,private car owners dat do drink and drive don't cause accidents on our road?
NB-70% of danfo drivers get driving sense pass ur driver,and even u.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by talktimi(m): 8:29am On Nov 12, 2013
codeworks: If they want to actualise this task, they need GPS Technology. not only will reduce manpower will save government lot of money. is a shame that Nigeria is yet to utilise this technology called GPS/satellite technology.
the problem isnt about gps technology, the problem is foundational and it cuts across all Nigerian cities going on for decades. If 30/40 yrs ago the LASG (in this case scenario) had looked at population growth projections and started devicing alternative to road transport like sub ways/inner city railways like the Fashola administration is doing with the metro line, we wouldnt be talking about this now. The issue of okada would never have cropped up in the first place not to talk about the need to ban them. Our past leaders both military and civilian systematically set us up to be perpetually backward and it takes a person with grit to move us forward and thats if we agree to the temporary pains
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by ifyalways(f): 8:31am On Nov 12, 2013
Cart before the horse. FASH got this wrong.
Absolutely wrong.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Bamsdayo(m): 8:32am On Nov 12, 2013
SLIDE waxie: i knw some comments like urs will be worth quoting, hence..the reserved space!

Is there something u are missing? Like a common sense? Anywhere 'lagos' is mentioned, ur common sense eludes u and the only things coming outta ur mouths are nonsense without logic.

The trick her is, 'no driver', not 'no bus' (will be allowed to drive at 8hrs a stretch)!
Which means a bus can have two or more drivers fuckin her! Some already do that.

Except a driver on enhancement drugs, which its avoidance is the main reason behind this law, no sane man can drive those cars on an 8 hrs stretch! Especially wen they are not even automatics!

These drivers are on drugs, and u knw it!

What will u say abt their health risks, domestic abuse they dished out due to drugs, accidents, etc. Is insuring the passengers and the cars also a bad move?

Like someone will say, 'a wretched man thinks all laws are against him, the rich makes them work for him'...the difference btw the rich and the wretched is common sense..only a wise man, with God's help can make wealth!

KINGwax™
you guyz sucks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) / On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP / Innoson Acquires Robot Equipment, Increases Production Capacity To 60,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.