Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work (29708 Views)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff! / Danfo Drivers/conductors To Wear Uniforms And Badges In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by klax(m): 3:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
But lets wait a minute why is Fashola regime so found of this law that law, this banned that banned for goodness sake what is going on is this what APC are coming to power in Nigeria to do to cage everybody or limit people freedom of movement and thereby says it was because of this reasons or that??

People should wake up because the finger print of what is about to happen is coming up all the time on the wall. Please is Fashola a true born of Lagos at all because its only a bastard that would prefer his own house turn to rubbles and yet feel comfortable about it.

Okada gone, market buldozed, levy upon levies, deportation, market shutting down, LASTMA madness and so on now its Danfo. Please is Fashola a real born of Lagos because his action sometime is so weird to me as if SOMEONE who doesnt care if Lagos crumbles or not. Sorry I dont care what is the reason or reasons he has to do all these nasty things to oppress the poor I dont care, all I know is before the West would know the damage they are doing to themselve its untill Lagos lost the economic power of Nigeria then they would know the extent of the damages Fashola and his people are doing to them. I'm so sick of Fashola regime so sick of it indeed every day something must come up this is absolutely nonsense and if care is not taken people would need visa to enter Lagos from Ibadan or from elswhere in Nigeria and yet some i di ots will say yea Jashola is right and begin their nonsense slogan Eko ko ni baje craps. God bless
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by moshoodn(m): 3:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
redcliff:

Lacuna and gap is one and same. Lol.

Not entirely the same....

They are synonymous anyway.

Lacunae have other parallel extended meanings than gaps..
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by GboyegaD(m): 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
What has smoking got to do with driving? Is the government trying to live our lives for us? They should focus on more important issues abeg.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
klax: But lets wait a minute why is Fashola regime so found of this law that law, this banned that banned for goodness sake what is going on is this what APC are coming to power in Nigeria to do to cage everybody or limit people freedom of movement and thereby says it was because of this reasons or that??

People should wake up because the finger print of what is about to happen is coming up all the time on the wall. Please is Fashola a true born of Lagos at all because its only a bastard that would prefer his own house turn to rubbles and yet feel comfortable about it.

Okada gone, market buldozed, levy upon levies, deportation, market shutting down, LASTMA madness and so on now its Danfo. Please is Fashola a real born of Lagos because his action sometime is so weird to me as if SOMEONE who doesnt care if Lagos crumbles or not. Sorry I dont care what is the reason or reasons he has to do all these nasty things to oppress the poor I dont care, all I know is before the West would know the damage they are doing to themselve its untill Lagos lost the economic power of Nigeria then they would know the extent of the damages Fashola and his people are doing to them. I'm so sick of Fashola regime so sick of it indeed every day something must come up this is absolutely nonsense and if care is not taken people would need visa to enter Lagos from Ibadan or from elswhere in Nigeria and yet some i di ots will say yea Jashola is right and begin their nonsense slogan Eko ko ni baje craps. God bless
You just spoke my mind. He's becoming more anti-people with each passing day.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by ba7man(m): 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
klax: But lets wait a minute why is Fashola regime so found of this law that law, this banned that banned for goodness sake what is going on is this what APC are coming to power in Nigeria to do to cage everybody or limit people freedom of movement and thereby says it was because of this reasons or that??

Say no to lawlessness and dirty environments.

Residents of Lagos must embrace civillization or be forced out.

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Obinoscopy: I chose to ignore your first comment. I will ignore this as well.

Your call. My only concern is that some people will read your posts made from a conclusion drawn from a wrong perception and run with it.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
ba7man: Say no to lawlessness and dirty environments.

Residents of Lagos must embrace civillization or be forced out.
Forced out to where? Why must we be barbaric to our fellow denizens? Why?

Yes, its imperative that we enshrine civility. But we cannot do so at the expense of impoverishing the masses. We cannot do that by encouraging barbarism. Our govt must be sensitive to the plight of the poverty stricken populace.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 4:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Your call. My only concern is that some people will read your posts made from a conclusion drawn from a wrong perception and run with it.

You were the one with the wrong perception. What made you think I didn't notice the "8hr stretch" stuff?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Obinoscopy: You were the one with the wrong perception. What made you think I didn't notice the "8hr stretch" stuff?

This:

Obinoscopy: If you ask me, I'd say this is very harsh on the danfo operators. This guys are struggling to make ends meet. Agberos/Area Boys/Touts feed on them, Police/Yellow Fever feed on them, LASTMA/VIO/FRSC feed on them and even the military also feed on them (they claim "Staff" thus they don't pay for their Tfare). How do you expect these danfo operators to feed all these parasites and still have change left for him and his family with just 8hrs of work. And if I may ask, how do the govt intend to measure the number of hours spent by a danfo driver?

Inasmuch as I don't like the poor services and poor HR of our danfo drivers, I think the govt is coming down a bit hard on them. The government must realise the bad economic situation of this country and ensure that its policies are not anti-people. I rest my case.

Still going to defend that?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 4:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

This:

Still going to defend that?
Whichever way you look at it, there's no way you'd expect a danfo driver not to be on the look out for passengers for 8hrs at a stretch. Telling him not to work for 8hrs at a stretch is the same as telling him not to work beyond 8hrs. This is because once he goes to rest, the rest of the day becomes useless. The law stipulates that the commercial driver should go and rest for a stipulated period of time. What if the period he's supposed to rest is the rush hour? You want him to continue to rest when he hasn't even made enough money to feed his family for the day (LASTMA and co must have taken the ones he made earlier). Then when he comes back from the compulsory leave, he will then queue up in the park waiting for his turn. When it eventually gets to his turn, the rush hour will certainly be over.

Its very wrong to stipulate the period of time a danfo driver works. He's not a civil servant. He pays his taxes. Don't dictate to him on when to go and huzzle and when not to. Our economy has been harsh on him, don't make it harsher. Mind you, its not every day that a driver will even want to work beyond 8hrs. There are days he works for just 3hrs and there are days he doesn't work at all. So let him decide when to rest, don't do so for him tongue.

Note: I'm not saying that its good that our drivers are overstressing themselves. I'm just saying that its the fault of the economy and not the drivers. Let's treat the cause and not the symptoms. There are many things that are wrong: the danfo buses (paragon) is a moving corpse, the drivers are illiterates, the conductors are touts with bad HR skills. But all these are just symptoms. We need to treat the cause. If we do, the symptoms will disappear. But even if they don't, then the govt will be justified when they try to eliminate the symptoms.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
Obinoscopy: Whichever way you look at it, there's no way you'd expect a danfo driver not to be on the look out for passengers for 8hrs at a stretch. Telling him not to work for 8hrs at a stretch is the same as telling him not to work beyond 8hrs. This is because once he goes to rest, the rest of the day becomes useless. The law stipulates that the commercial driver should go and rest for a stipulated period of time. What if the period he's supposed to rest is the rush hour? You want him to continue to rest when he hasn't even made enough money to feed his family for the day (LASTMA and co must have taken the ones he made earlier). Then when he comes back from the compulsory leave, he will then queue up in the park waiting for his turn. When it eventually gets to his turn, the rush hour will certainly be over.

Its very wrong to stipulate the period of time a danfo driver works. He's not a civil servant. He pays his taxes. Don't dictate to him on when to go and huzzle and when not to. Our economy has been harsh on him, don't make it harsher. Mind you, its not every day that a driver will even want to work beyond 8hrs. There are days he works for just 3hrs and there are days he doesn't work at all.

Nobody is stipulating the time he should or should not work. What the government is stipulating is the duration he works at a stretch. The government did not set any specific time that they can start work and they should end work. For all we know, any driver can choose to start work at a time the rush hour falls within his 8 hour stretch. It becomes an issue of planning for the drivers and not that they are mandated to begin and end at any specific time.

Once he goes to rest, the rest of the day becomes useless? And who made this so? When your regular workers take their breaks, does it make the rest of the day useless for them? If after he takes a rest he chooses not to continue for the day, it is his call. If he chooses to continue, then it's back on the road for him and good-luck to his hustle.

That he is not a civil servant even makes it more imperative for him to take breaks and regain some energy. Civil servants are entitled to breaks and most of their jobs are not as physically demanding and tasking as what these drivers do. Who needs a rest more between civil servants and commercial bus drivers, especially in an over-crowded and stressful city as Lagos? It is not in the driver's best interests to allow him just go gung ho till he breaks down because Nigerians are such hustlers that if you leave some of us, we will work round the clock to make an extra dime which, while good for your pocket, is not good for your health. And if they are not healthy, how will they earn money for their families to survive? If any of these drivers experiences a breakdown at the wheel and crashes, would you foot the medical bills of both driver and passengers?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Note: I'm not saying that its good that our drivers are overstressing themselves. I'm just saying that its the fault of the economy and not the drivers. Let's treat the cause and not the symptoms. There are many things that are wrong: the danfo buses (paragon) is a moving corpse, the drivers are illiterates, the conductors are touts with bad HR skills. But all these are just symptoms. We need to treat the cause. If we do, the symptoms will disappear. But even if they don't, then the govt will be justified when they try to eliminate the symptoms.

Bro, there is nothing wrong with alleviating the symptoms while treating the root cause. The government did not say "oh, since the drivers will now start taking rests, we will stop providing infrastructure and creating better transport systems". Laws like this are supposed to be effective in the short term while long term solutions are being implemented. If we wait till the root causes are dealt with, what happens to the drivers who do have health breakdowns during the same time frame? Would you call those collateral damages of treating the root cause? You also realize that when these drivers have health issues, most of them either self medicate or resort to public health centers which means more pressure on our less than effective and over-burdened public health centers. With one move, the government is trying to reduce its burden and encourage a bit of healthy living amongst the drivers. Is there anything wrong with that?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by getukudo(m): 6:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Those that have eyes should read...'8hours stretch'...meaning after eight hours they can rest and continue after say 30mins. Olodo full this country sha...and na una be youths of tomorrow oh! chai...lol
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by willibounce: 7:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ban agbero first.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by femishow2005(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
vislabraye: I wonder how the want to monitor it. Whether Lagos state plans to place a micro chip on each bus to count the number of hours ?

And what is the start time ? How feasible is it especially in a society where people work for more than 8 hours ? It means that if I leave for work at 5 am with a bus, it means by 2pm I can not get home because buses have closed for the day

So will Lagos State organise a sort of shift where some bus drivers will work in the morning and some in the evening ? In a place like Lagos where U can spend up to 2hrs in traffic, that means the day is already gone.

Read! Read!! Read!!!
Why you guys don't read before posting a comment. Opeifa never refers to bus but the drivers. This doesn't affect the availability of bus at any time t. Pls always read before posting nonsense
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by femishow2005(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2013

You've just said Rubbish. Go back to your village than saying Nonsense
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by UyiIredia(m): 10:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Let's see waht this fool has vomitted.

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Even poorer thinking from a brain that fails to notice simple and essential details in really simple statements. Remember what caused the whole back-n-forth? Your apparent failure to notice the words "at a stretch" that came after "8 hours"? One would think you would have learnt from that one but no, your addled brain went ahead to skip over another essential word when I typed some and you took it to mean all. Let me help your lazy self out by pointing out where:

And who drives for 8hrs without taking a break ? You are silly to assume so. Let's see this 'essential word'.

It would do you well to take note of the bolded word next time. Then back to your suggested policies:[/quote]

I was referring to the next messed-up point where you mentioned a person, as not bothered by drivers suffering mental breakdown from drug and stimulant abuse. Too dumb to know which sentence I was referring to. Too much the nitwit, to note, I used the word SUGGESTION.

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:
Now, I would like you to point out where exactly in the report that it was said that the Government was trading in its responsibilities to provide the above in exchange for drivers taking breaks after each eight hour stretch.

An inane question, you douchëbag. The point is that other, more basic problems exist and you applaud 'white-washing policies'. Policies that fail to address more pertinent problems some of which warrant long work hours: a peabrain as yourself would question this.

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:
Se what an interminable complainer you are?

What a d*ckhead ! How many times have you seen me complain ? Given your lack of mental acuity, get this into your airhead, I hardly comolain except when it is of relevance.

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:
Oh, and we should wait till the drivers complain before such a law is passed? Oh really?

So off-point undecided

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:
Why don't we wait till all the airlines are complaining that their planes are dropping out of the sky before implementing reforms in the aviation sector. Isn't ASUU still on strike? Is that not the product of government waiting for the complaint before acting?

Another cold trail.

senbonzakura_kageyoshi:
Wait, are you for real or are you just an annoying internet troll?

Then comes up with a failed assumption. It would be a comolement to call you a dunce in this case.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Let's see waht this fool has vomitted.

And who drives for 8hrs without taking a break ? You are silly to assume so. Let's see this 'essential word'.

It would do you well to take note of the bolded word next time. Then back to your suggested policies:

I was referring to the next messed-up point where you mentioned a person, as not bothered by drivers suffering mental breakdown from drug and stimulant abuse. Too dumb to know which sentence I was referring to. Too much the nitwit, to note, I used the word SUGGESTION.

Now, I would like you to point out where exactly in the report that it was said that the Government was trading in its responsibilities to provide the above in exchange for drivers taking breaks after each eight hour stretch.

An inane question, you douchëbag. The point is that other, more basic problems exist and you applaud 'white-washing policies'. Policies that fail to address more pertinent problems some of which warrant long work hours: a peabrain as yourself would question this.

Se what an interminable complainer you are?

What a d*ckhead ! How many times have you seen me complain ? Given your lack of mental acuity, get this into your airhead, I hardly comolain except when it is of relevance.

Oh, and we should wait till the drivers complain before such a law is passed? Oh really?

So off-point undecided

Why don't we wait till all the airlines are complaining that their planes are dropping out of the sky before implementing reforms in the aviation sector. Isn't ASUU still on strike? Is that not the product of government waiting for the complaint before acting?

Another cold trail.

Wait, are you for real or are you just an annoying internet troll?

Then comes up with a failed assumption. It would be a comolement to call you a dunce in this case.

Oh, you ARE an annoying internet troll.

And, heads up, comolement is not an actual word. There are free dictionaries you can download online.

Dah, forgot, you're about to run out of free bandwidth.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Nobody is stipulating the time he should or should not work. What the government is stipulating is the duration he works at a stretch. The government did not set any specific time that they can start work and they should end work. For all we know, any driver can choose to start work at a time the rush hour falls within his 8 hour stretch. It becomes an issue of planning for the drivers and not that they are mandated to begin and end at any specific time.

Once he goes to rest, the rest of the day becomes useless? And who made this so? When your regular workers take their breaks, does it make the rest of the day useless for them? If after he takes a rest he chooses not to continue for the day, it is his call. If he chooses to continue, then it's back on the road for him and good-luck to his hustle.

That he is not a civil servant even makes it more imperative for him to take breaks and regain some energy. Civil servants are entitled to breaks and most of their jobs are not as physically demanding and tasking as what these drivers do. Who needs a rest more between civil servants and commercial bus drivers, especially in an over-crowded and stressful city as Lagos? It is not in the driver's best interests to allow him just go gung ho till he breaks down because Nigerians are such hustlers that if you leave some of us, we will work round the clock to make an extra dime which, while good for your pocket, is not good for your health. And if they are not healthy, how will they earn money for their families to survive? If any of these drivers experiences a breakdown at the wheel and crashes, would you foot the medical bills of both driver and passengers?
Okay, good luck with the enforcement of the 8 hours work for all danfo drivers (one even wonders how you guys would enforce such). And while you guys are at it, you can as well dictate the type of food the danfo operators are to eat. Hell, you can even dictate the multivitamins they are to take. I wish you guys the best. However I earnestly hope you guys will realise that our danfo operators are suffering and they need succour.

Eko oni baje
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by hayubee(m): 10:48am On Nov 13, 2013
95% of the posters didn't even bother to read d article, out of d 5% who read it only 1% understood it!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by olumide4christ: 6:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
KriTic24_A++:

On this particular issue, i think i fully agree with you LastPage...

Why did Fashola and his co-horts who have been preaching Lagos as a model not start "Social Security Benefit" the past thirteen years of their strangle hold on Lagos despite the astronomical rise in their IGR?
Everything they do is hardly in favour of the masses.
Opeifa compeled all Lagos Taxi users to buy taxi cabs from his own company's arrangement with a bank at a higher rate.
Opeifa condemed the use of Tokunbo vehicles for taxi because he has a company that sells new cars at cut-throat amount..

Though, agreed that Lagos no longer need molue for transportation, they were chased out of existence by a Lagos government that did not have a heart for them and the people who use them, only for all of us to be queueing up in the scorching sun sometimes in the rain on a daily basis, waiting for a BRT that is more or less a glorified molue that are not even readily available...

If BRT arrangement is actually for the masses, why was the Train banned from picking passengers at Oshodi, a bus stop that even expatriates know as one of the busiest bus stops in Lagos with the largest concentration of passengers, considering the fact that trains are the principal means of transporting large commuters?
Because BRT in those route will not make money for their owners, so the train was prevented from there.
Why did Lagos government not apply the same agression they visited on Okada and its riders on the Touts at every bus stops in Lagos...because somebody up there will need them when an election comes arround...

They will soon remind you that it is your CIVIC RIGHT to vote, but ask, why are they not telling you now that it is also your CIVIC RIGHT to benefit from all the good thing they and their families enjoys??

Because they don't have a heart for us but for their pockects...

VERY FACTUAL.... WE ARE HOPING TO HEAR WHAT THE GOVT & THEIR DIE-HARD SUPPORTERS HAVE TO SAY TO THIS! OUR GOVT IS LARGELY HYPOCRITICAL IN THEIR ACTIONS!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) / Innoson Acquires Robot Equipment, Increases Production Capacity To 60,000 / On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.