Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,410 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (25731 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by ceo4eva: 6:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
Lagos State government has said it will no longer admit student who failed to obtain a 60% pass in its placement examinations into any of its model colleges and other schools

Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye who disclosed this over the weekend at an interactive meeting with Parents Forum of public secondary schools in Lagos State explained that the placement tests are necessary in order to ensure that lofty standards are not only maintained but set in public secondary schools in the state.

Oladunjoye who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Mrs. Omolara Erogbogbo urged parents to desist from approaching teachers and other people for the placement of their wards into model colleges and upgraded schools.

She affirmed that students who failed to meet the promotion criteria set out in the state would not be promoted.

The commissioner urged teachers and principals of public secondary schools in the state to adhere strictly to the promotion criteria and guideline in the state.

She said for a JSS I student to be promoted to JSS II, such a student must obtain an average pass of 50% including English and Mathematics in the examination.

According to her, “for a JSS II student to be promoted to JSS III, he or she must also obtain a 50% average pass including English and Mathematics in his or her examination while a JSS III student must obtain credits pass in six subjects including English and Mathematics at the Basic Education Certificate Examinations in order to be promoted to SS I”.

“An SS I student must also averaged 50% in six subjects including English and Mathematics in order to be promoted into SS II class and a SS II student must similarly obtain 50% in 5 subjects including English and Mathematics in addition to a 50% cumulative pass in the screening tests undertaken in schools”.
http://leadership.ng/news/111113/lagos-ban-unintelligent-students-public-schools

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by JECBOSS: 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2013
In as much as I understand what the Lagos state govt. is trying to convey, I think Nairaland should replicate this. I'm of the opinion that poor command of English language as usually observed on Nairaland is symptomatic of our falling standards in education.

53 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by macjive01: 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
Thank God!
Thats all we have bern praying for. Level playing ground and let the best win .

Let the olodos, ugly daft Inbreeds to turn to their natural calling, agbero. Omo ni le. Area boys.

Time for the people who has been marginalised and denied opportunities to show their true potential.

There is going to be a MANESFESTATION.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by rexbuton: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
5O% is okay, but the problem is actually executing it.. These teachers and headmistresses are nigerians, and also have affiliations. The policy would work on paper! Can You chase alhaji's son from school?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Mynd44: 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Those public secondary schools are getting crowded mehn.....they should not be thrown open to everyone. If a student fails placement exams, he/she should try again next year or go learn a trade

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2013
grin This is hilarious. Na their money dem dey spend ni? Or are the parents complaining?

Aproko? Or madness? Or they re out of ideas?

Perhaps, they should trim down the number of subjects pupils and students offer.

It'd be awesome if apart from English language and Mathematics, other subjects in which any student isn't good in should be taken off his/her number of subjects in a calender year.

This idea is still subject to scrutiny though.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Mynd44: 8:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
emmy-richie:
grin this is hilarious. Na their money dem dey spend ni? Or are the parents complaining?

Aproko? Or madness? Or they re out of ideas?
Public schools in Lagos are free save for PTA dues which is less than 500 naira per term or is it session?

This means the government is spending its money on these kids so they have a right to turn down pupils who are don't meet up to a certain standard. In other words NA THEIR MONEY THEM DEY SPEND

16 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by geeez: 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
How I wished NL could do that too?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Mynd44: 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
geeez: How I wished NL could do that too?
gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by tpia5: 9:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
So what are they supposed to do then?

Didnt read the write up, however i thought public schools are open to all.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by tpia5: 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2013
geeez: How I wished NL could do that too?

Thats a fantasy.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by jara: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
Well, it could be a good idea if everyone is accepted but channeled into various disciplines according to their abilities. Some of the late bloomers will have the opportunity to return to serious academic field. It is a mistake to intentionally create hoodlums that will come back and hunt us. School itself is a way to teach kids how to behave into adulthood. It is not a favor, it is a way to steer children away from bad behavior.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by theoctopus: 9:55pm On Nov 11, 2013
Mynd_44:
Public schools in Lagos are free save for PTA dues which is less than 500 naira per term or is it session?

This means the government is spending its money on these kids so they have a right to turn down pupils who are don't meet up to a certain standard. In other words NA THEIR MONEY THEM DEY SPEND

Stop lying. Public schools in Lagos are not free. You people are too full of lies. You cannot even get admitted without showing your tax clearance. Even poor jobless widows had to pay a minimum of 5k to get so called tax clearance for their wards. LASG is a big fraud as ever! Thieves! Ole! So you want jobless masses to produce tax clearance certificates? So you want people living on less than a dollar a day to produce their tax clearance certificates? Olodo! Is it not you folks that go around shouting that Nigerians are all living in abject poverty? So why are you improverishing them more with your anti masses, elitist policies.

Is primary and secondary education not the basic right of every child! Have you ever heard of UN standards for education for children. Have you ever heard of UBE? Olodo!

This is the only state where students pay 250k schools fees per session for a dilapidated helll hole, pubic university. And you still want FG to fund the school. What happened to the exorbitant school fees being paid? Oh, I forgot, it is going straight to okpolo eyes, Tinubu's pockets as part of the concessioning of Lagos state to Tinubu's family and cronies. Hve you installed an Iyaloja for LASU yet? Criminals and evil people. Awon Ole!

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Mynd44: 9:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
theoctopus:

Stop lying. Public schools in Lagos are not free. You people are too full of lies. You cannot even get admitted without showing your tax clearance. Even poor jobless widows had to pay a minimum of 5k to get so called tax clearance for their wards. LASG is a big fraud as ever! Thieves! Ole!
You don't want to pay tax again? I am confused ooo

28 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by theoctopus: 10:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
Mynd_44:
You don't want to pay tax again? I am confused ooo

Why were you lying? Simple

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by theoctopus: 10:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
What is so stup1d about this position is that they dont even know how backward it sounds. In 2013, to think that education is still all about getting 60% is so sad! Please they should send some people to Japan and learn how a modern education system should run. It is about training and preparing kids for their future, not awarding scores and grading students. So daft, this LASG! angry

34 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by iamswizz(m): 10:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
nice move
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Freiburger(m): 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
No child is born with a dull brain, they should be working on the quality of the training the teachers receives.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
They should first ban all the dull ex-students in Government-like Patience Goodluck

11 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
grin like seriously? undecided

Why treat a kid as if they are writing exams to get into college, the title is misleading tho - wonder what the Mods is angry
Title is misleading, the word "ban" is offensive.

Title should read: " Lagos to raise admission and promotion benchmark in public schools."

22 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Odunharry(m): 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
theoctopus: What is so stup1d about this position is that they dont even know how backward it sounds. In 2013, to think that education is still all about getting 60% is so sad! Please they should send some people to Japan and learn how a modern education system should run. It is about training and preparing kids for their future, not awarding scores and grading students. So daft, this LASG! angry
u tink so?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
now this is nonsense....Education is the right of every child! No child is unintelligent! This is a nonsense policy!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by seedord247(m): 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
What about Egun?
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Egbagirl(f): 10:18pm On Nov 11, 2013
theoctopus:

Stop lying. Public schools in Lagos are not free. You people are too full of lies. You cannot even get admitted without showing your tax clearance. Even poor jobless widows had to pay a minimum of 5k to get so called tax clearance for their wards. LASG is a big fraud as ever! Thieves! Ole!

I'm trying to understand you. So if these people pay their taxes on the regular, they get tax clearance right? So once they have that, do they have to pay any additional fee for their kids? Do they pay school fees?

In short, what fees are they paying?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 11, 2013
Freiburger: No child is born with a dull brain, they should be working on the quality of the training the teachers receives.

I like this and I agree totally

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Shollyps(m): 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Fazhy: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
JECBOSS: In as much as I understand what the Lagos state govt. is trying to convey, I think Nairaland should replicate this. I'm of the opinion that poor command of English language as usually observed on Nairaland is symptomatic of our falling standards in education.

grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
I wish Nairaland banned all those who profess the christian faith.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by OmichaelO: 10:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
So how will they learn when they are banned? some just needs little encouragement and some improper motivation. IMHO not fair

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by tosingcfr(m): 10:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
ok
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
Egba girl:

I'm trying to understand you. So if these people pay their taxes on the regular, they get tax clearance right? So once they have that, do they have to pay any additional fee for their kids? Do they pay school fees?

In short, what fees are they paying?

you dey mind that one? he dey among numerous people wey no dey pay tax na. So tax clearance is now school fees? If you pay your tax regularly, you will have your tax clearance.....if not, that's when officials will try to rip you off to give you a counterfeit

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Unilag Students Sleep Outside Over Re-absorption Forms (photos) / Janet Kyeme, Lokoja University Student Goes Missing After Leaving For Lectures / Unilag Freshers Seen Climbing Wall To Undergo Their Mandatory Drug Test.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.