Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! (8460 Views)

Fasting On The Day Of Arafat: Sins Forgiven For Two Years / Fasting On The Day Of 'ashura (10th Muharram) / Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 10:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
BetaThings:

Shias claim Prophets and their Imams never err
But that thread supplied evidenceS to the contrary from the Qur'an that Prophets erred and sought forgiveness

Really?
Shia too stone adulterers - where is it in the Qur'an?
And the Shia central concept of imamate is not in the Qur'an.
Please don't bring those circumstantial evidences (verses).
When it suits you, you guys claim everything should be in the Qur'an

Betathing,
You don't really do justice here brother. You only bold the area you wanna use to 'attack' while leaving the other part (hadith or sunnah)which in truth fall into the categories of your points. Thank God I made mention of it otherwise you ....
Let's be fair and sincere pls. It is not WIN or LOSE situation its should be all about understanding and salvation so sincerity of heart is needed.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2013
Akiika:
Salam Al-Baqir, i have read your comments and enthused by your seemingly depth of Shiite theology, but i recommend you thread softly in making pronouncements. As regards Ashoora, you have made some valid arguement concerning the date chronology which i intend to research. I am neither a Shi'a nor a Sunni, but i am a muslim (as in, what the holy prophet taught us). I'll like to comment on the following you wrote ""O ahl al-bayt of the prophet! Your LOVE has been made obligatory in the holy Qur'an...it is enough among your many exalted virtues that if anybody prays without sending blessing on you, his prayer is void" ~Imam Shafi'i (R) " You have condemned some Hadiths, what makes this authentic? In what context was the quranic verse that the commentary follow revealed? The holy prophet made it clear that blood cannot move you forward where your deeds had moved you backward. Let Allah be the judge, you can't be sure your theological belief is the right one. I personally take exception in the part of Shiites belief that Aisha, Umar, Abbas and other non-progenies of the holy prophets are not given credence. While i support healthy discussion on differing opinion on theological beliefs, it should be civil and we should not attempt to discredit opinions of others especially when we were not there when these historical events occurred. I think we should be concerned about the very fundamental undeniable articles of our faith and the very basic sane rules of humanity. W'Allahu a'alam.

Wa alaykum salam brother,
Thanks for your recommendation but honestly I didn't grab what you meant by "..softly in making pronouncement". Kindly elaborate.

As regard Ashura: pls do research as you intended may Allah be your guide.

You said you are neither Sunni nor Shia! How can it be bro? Did you met the prophet (saws) to know how he actually practice his sunnah? You and I are only followers of written books of hadith and sunnah written by either a sunni, a shia or any other sect. So our practices (convince or not) is in line with either of them. Vis-a-vis by practice, you are either sunni or shia or others. You can only be 'just a muslim' by mouth never by practice or certain sets of belief: Even belief about God, prophet, Qur'an etc!

LOVING THE AHL AL-BAYT!
"..."Say (O prophet): No reward do I ask of you for this (service) except kindness to my kindred" ~ash-shura vs 23.

Please kindly check any books of Tafsir you can laid your hands on with respect to that verse. They all concur 'loving the ahl al-bayt is an obligatory task for all muslim.

1. Imam shafi'i's comments was in regard to that noble verse. I employ you to read Ibn Hajar's text Al-sawaiq al-Muhriqa. If you wish, I can quote his comments too on that.

2. Part of salat's validity is to perform "Tashahud with Salawat on the holy prophet (saws)" and All the books of hadith claimed the holy prophet said no salawat is accepted till you include his ahl al-bayt (household) in it. In respect to Q. 33 vs 56!

B. Condemnation of certain hadith!
Many scholars of hadith have criteria to grade hadith as true, sound, weak or fabricated. As a shi'a, Imam Jafar as-Sadiq (a.s), the 6th Imam of ahl al-bayt of the holy prophet (saws) said: "whatever agrees with the book of God in the prophetic narration, be it known is from my father (saws); take it. Whatever does not agrees with Qur'an is not from my father...".
This is how Shi'a scholars treat hadith before applying any other criteria. So you can judge Imam Shafi'i's comment with that.

BLOOD vs VIRTUE
Generally, I agreed with you blood-line can't do nothing where moral virtue is lacking. The case of the sons of prophet Nuh and Yaqub are there for us to learn from. Their sons were condemned despite their father's being prophet. On the other hands, blood-line works : al-Baqarah vs 124; and there are 'chosen ones even uptill their offspring':
Al-Imran vs 33 -34.
The holy prophet (saws) and his ahl al-bayt (a.s) were among these two groups (blood-line + chosen ones).
Ahl al-bayt (a.s), had it been you research into their life history, you would have known they exceed ALL in piety and virtue hence Qur'an praised and chose them ABOVE all others (e.g sura al-Imran vs 61: www.nairaland.com/1497911/islam-suprimacy-over-christianity). Then history testify to their unequal services in Islam.
Take a look at Ali (a.s). He preceded all sahaba in anything you can EVER think of. These are not claims brother. Qur'an, hadith and Islamic history are there for us to analyse. But 'scholars' deliberately sweep them under the carpet and make them ordinary like others companions. If Allah could say He has exalt some prophet above others, why not sahaba? Ali was trained and tutored by Muhammad himself. Qur'an refer to him ALONE as "Anfus (self)" of the prophet. And prophet described him as "gate" or "door" to his city of knowledge in which NOBODY could enter except through the gate.
NB: Am all yours brother on this area if you wish. www.nairaland.com/1513491/ahl-al-bayt-a.s

C. ON SAHABA
Shi'a stand on general sahaba is that: Not all of them were righteous. Qur'an exposed many Munafiq among them to the point that Allah said only Him know them (sura Tawbah vs 101). And truly there were many righteous steadfast role-model personalities among them. Sunni however believe all of them were righteous.

Let me give you a peep:
Ala b. Al-Musayyab narrated from his father, who said: "I met al-Bara'a ibn Azib and said to him: "You are fortunate, you were a companion of the prophet and paid allegiance to him under the tree". Whereupon he said: "'My nephew, you do not know what we INNOVATED after him" (al-Bukhari vol. 5 p. 66)

Allah knew many of them will violate their oath; hence he warned:
"Those who paid allegiance to you in fact pay allegiance to Allah. The hand of Allah is over their hands. And WHOEVER VIOLATES that oath has done so against his own(self)~Q48:10"

Also prophet fore-told:
"On the day of resurrection you will be grabbed from the left, and I will say: 'where are they (being taken) to?' It will be said: "To Hell, by God. ' I will say: "my Lord! These are my companions'. It will be said: 'You do not know what they did after you. From the time you left them they never ceased to apostatize. ' I will say: 'Away with him, away with him, woe to him who changed things after me. And I do not see anyone of them being saved except that he will be like a forlorn sheep".
(Sahih al-Bukhari vol. 7 p. 209, vol 4 p. 94, 156; Muslim vol. 7 p. 66).

Sahaba are so important to us that even scholars of hadith grade many hadith weak or fabricated as a result of the personality of a particular sahaba. If Allah can ask the prophet (and his companions initially) to learn from the story of this and that (of the good and bad people of the past), why won't we scrutinize those who are 'closer' to us in time? Ours is never to judge but to learn from their good and bad. Emotionally some shia do curse certain sahaba but this is never the way of our Imam(a.s). When Imam Aliconquered Aisha, one of his disciples suggested she should be taken captive. Imam said: "woe on to you, will you take your mother captive?"
Shia best book of Du'a is "Mafatih al-Jinan" (you can search and download it here:www.getjar.com). See if you will ever find curse of sahabas there! Only those who killed Hussain and ahl al-bayt of their prophet were cursed!

ON AISHA!
Do you really want my view? Its the Qur'an! Please read surah Tahrim chapter 66 revealed solely because of her and Hafsa, another wife of the prophet (saws).

Being prophet's wife!
"O consort of the prophet! You are not like any other woman PROVIDED YOU HAVE TAQWA..." ~sura al-Ahzab.

Being prophet's wife does not guarantee an automatic salvation. You gatta work for the status before you merit anything and if you bleeped up, your punishment is doubled (Qur'an says). Look at the case of Noah and Lut's wives refer in the very sura Tahrim as an example to the subjects being addressed in the sura (Aisha +Hafsa). I enjoyed you to read. Then her role in the battle of Jamal against the 'righteous khalipha' of her time, Ali; after the death of her husband (saws) worsen her case despite Allah ordering all the wives of the prophet to stay in door.

ON UMAR!
Honestly the GREATEST problem I have on his personality is the "Event of thursday" or "hadith of pen and paper" where he accused the prophet of being "Yahjur" (delirious)" just 3 days before the death of the prophet. Bukhari, Muslim, and many sunni classical work reported all these in detail.( Wikipedia is another resource on this). Despite the fact that sura al-Hujurat has already been revealed to warn him and AbuBakar: "O you who believe...do not raise your voices above that of the prophet lest Allah make your deeds in vain..." (Bukhari vol 6. P 46 on the interpretation of sura al-Hujurat).

ABBAS AND ABDULLAH IBN ABBAS
All these personalities were "shi'a (supporter)" of Ali in all respect. Ibn Abbas followed Imam Ali (a.s) in all ramification immediately after the demise of the prophet (saws). He fought along Ali against Aisha (and others) in the battle of Jamal. Pls read about Ibn Abbas. Even Aisha's elder brother sided and fought along Imam Ali against her sister.

ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALS - ARTICLES OF FAITH!
Brother by Allah you don't wanna be part of differences of understandings of all these too except you are truly ready for the truth.

I appreciate your approach and mature mind.

Thanks sir
Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 10:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
Akiika:
Salam Al-Baqir, i have read your comments and enthused by your seemingly depth of Shiite theology, but i recommend you thread softly in making pronouncements. As regards Ashoora, you have made some valid arguement concerning the date chronology which i intend to research. I am neither a Shi'a nor a Sunni, but i am a muslim (as in, what the holy prophet taught us). I'll like to comment on the following you wrote ""O ahl al-bayt of the prophet! Your LOVE has been made obligatory in the holy Qur'an...it is enough among your many exalted virtues that if anybody prays without sending blessing on you, his prayer is void" ~Imam Shafi'i (R) " You have condemned some Hadiths, what makes this authentic? In what context was the quranic verse that the commentary follow revealed? The holy prophet made it clear that blood cannot move you forward where your deeds had moved you backward. Let Allah be the judge, you can't be sure your theological belief is the right one. I personally take exception in the part of Shiites belief that Aisha, Umar, Abbas and other non-progenies of the holy prophets are not given credence. While i support healthy discussion on differing opinion on theological beliefs, it should be civil and we should not attempt to discredit opinions of others especially when we were not there when these historical events occurred. I think we should be concerned about the very fundamental undeniable articles of our faith and the very basic sane rules of humanity. W'Allahu a'alam.

Thanks for your recommendation but honestly I didn't grab what you meant by "..softly in making pronouncement". Kindly elaborate.

You said you are neither Sunni nor Shia! How can it be bro? Did you met the prophet (saws) to know how he actually practice his sunnah? You and I are only followers of written books of hadith and sunnah written by either a sunni, a shia or any other sect. So our practices (convince or not) is in line with either of them. Vis-a-vis by practice, you are either sunni or shia or others. You can only be 'just a muslim' by mouth never by practice or certain sets of belief: Even belief about God, prophet, Qur'an etc!

LOVING THE AHL AL-BAYT!
"..."Say (O prophet): No reward do I ask of you for this (service) except kindness to my kindred" ~ash-shura vs 23.

Please kindly check any books of Tafsir you can laid your hands on with respect to that verse. They all concur 'loving the ahl al-bayt is an obligatory task for all muslim.

1. Imam shafi'i's comments was in regard to that noble verse. I employ you to read Ibn Hajar's text Al-sawaiq al-Muhriqa. If you wish, I can quote his comments too on that.

2. Part of salat's validity is to perform "Tashahud with Salawat on the holy prophet (saws)" and All the books of hadith claimed the holy prophet said no salawat is accepted till you include his ahl al-bayt (household) in it. In respect to Q. 33 vs 56!

Many scholars of hadith have criteria to grade hadith as true, sound, weak or fabricated. As a shi'a, Imam Jafar as-Sadiq (a.s), the 6th Imam of ahl al-bayt of the holy prophet (saws) said: "whatever agrees with the book of God in the prophetic narration, be it known is from my father (saws); take it. Whatever does not agrees with Qur'an is not from my father...".
This is how Shi'a scholars treat hadith before applying any other criteria. So you can judge Imam Shafi'i's comment with that.

BLOOD vs VIRTUE
Generally, I agreed with you blood-line can't do nothing where moral virtue is lacking. The case of the sons of prophet Nuh and Yaqub are there for us to learn from. Their sons were condemned despite their father's being prophet. On the other hands, blood-line works : al-Baqarah vs 124; and there are 'chosen ones even uptill their offspring':
Al-Imran vs 33 -34.
The holy prophet (saws) and his ahl al-bayt (a.s) were among these two groups (blood-line + chosen ones).
Ahl al-bayt (a.s), had it been you research into their life history, you would have known they exceed ALL in piety and virtue hence Qur'an praised and chose them ABOVE all others (e.g sura al-Imran vs 61: www.nairaland.com/1497911/islam-suprimacy-over-christianity). Then history testify to their unequal services in Islam.
Take a look at Ali (a.s). He preceded all sahaba in anything you can EVER think of. These are not claims brother. Qur'an, hadith and Islamic history are there for us to analyse. But 'scholars' deliberately sweep them under the carpet and make them ordinary like others companions. If Allah could say He has exalt some prophet above others, why not sahaba? Ali was trained and tutored by Muhammad himself. Qur'an refer to him ALONE as "Anfus (self)" of the prophet. And prophet described him as "gate" or "door" to his city of knowledge in which NOBODY could enter except through the gate.
NB: Am all yours brother on this area if you wish. www.nairaland.com/1513491/ahl-al-bayt-a.s

C. ON SAHABA
Shi'a stand on general sahaba is that: Not all of them were righteous. Qur'an exposed many Munafiq among them to the point that Allah said only Him know them (sura Tawbah vs 101). And truly there were many righteous steadfast role-model personalities among them. Sunni however believe all of them were righteous.

Let me give you a peep:
Ala b. Al-Musayyab narrated from his father, who said: "I met al-Bara'a ibn Azib and said to him: "You are fortunate, you were a companion of the prophet and paid allegiance to him under the tree". Whereupon he said: "'My nephew, you do not know what we INNOVATED after him" (al-Bukhari vol. 5 p. 66)

"Those who paid allegiance to you in fact pay allegiance to Allah. The hand of Allah is over their hands. And WHOEVER VIOLATES that oath has done so against his own(self)~Q48:10"

Also prophet fore-told:
"On the day of resurrection you will be grabbed from the left, and I will say: 'where are they (being taken) to?' It will be said: "To Hell, by God. ' I will say: "my Lord! These are my companions'. It will be said: 'You do not know what they did after you. From the time you left them they never ceased to apostatize. ' I will say: 'Away with him, away with him, woe to him who changed things after me. And I do not see anyone of them being saved except that he will be like a forlorn sheep".

Sahaba are so important to us that even scholars of hadith grade many hadith weak or fabricated as a result of the personality of a particular sahaba. If Allah can ask the prophet (and his companions initially) to learn from the story of this and that (of the good and bad people of the past), why won't we scrutinize those who are 'closer' to us in time? Ours is never to judge but to learn from their good and bad. Emotionally some shia do curse certain sahaba but this is never the way of our Imam(a.s). When Imam Aliconquered Aisha, one of his disciples suggested she should be taken captive. Imam said: "woe on to you, will you take your mother captive?"
Shia best book of Du'a is "Mafatih al-Jinan" (you can search and download it here:www.getjar.com). See if you will ever find curse of sahabas there! Only those who killed Hussain and ahl al-bayt of their prophet were cursed!

ON AISHA!
Do you really want my view? Its the Qur'an! Please read surah Tahrim chapter 66 revealed solely because of her and Hafsa, another wife of the prophet (saws).

Being prophet's wife!
"O consort of the prophet! You are not like any other woman PROVIDED YOU HAVE TAQWA..." ~sura al-Ahzab.

Being prophet's wife does not guarantee an automatic salvation. You gatta work for the status before you merit anything and if you bleeped up, your punishment is doubled (Qur'an says). Look at the case of Noah and Lut's wives refer in the very sura Tahrim as an example to the subjects being addressed in the sura (Aisha +Hafsa). I enjoyed you to read. Then her role in the battle of Jamal against the 'righteous khalipha' of her time, Ali; after the death of her husband (saws) worsen her case despite Allah ordering all the wives of the prophet to stay in door.

ON UMAR!
Honestly the GREATEST problem I have on his personality is the "Event of thursday" or "hadith of pen and paper" where he accused the prophet of being "Yahjur" (delirious)" just 3 days before the death of the prophet. Bukhari, Muslim, and many sunni classical work reported all these in detail.( Wikipedia is another resource on this). Despite the fact that sura al-Hujurat has already been revealed to warn him and AbuBakar: "O you who believe...do not raise your voices above that of the prophet lest Allah make your deeds in vain..." (Bukhari vol 6. P 46 on the interpretation of sura al-Hujurat).

All these personalities were "shi'a (supporter)" of Ali in all respect. Ibn Abbas followed Imam Ali (a.s) in all ramification immediately after the demise of the prophet (saws). He fought along Ali against Aisha (and others) in the battle of Jamal. Pls read about Ibn Abbas. Even Aisha's elder brother sided and fought along Imam Ali against her sister.

Brother by Allah you don't wanna be part of differences of understandings of all these too except you are truly ready for the truth.

Thanks sir
Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 11:16pm On Nov 14, 2013
AHZAMALLAHU UJUURANA BIMUSOBINA BIL HOSSEINI (A.S) WA JAHALANA WA IYAAKUM MINAL TOOLIBINA BITHARIHI MAHA WALIYIHI AL IMAM L MAHDI MIN AHLI MUHAMMAD ALEIMU SALAM
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 12:27am On Nov 15, 2013
LagosShia:

you don't deserve to be answered or helped.you should help yourself because your ignorance stems out of nonsense.research and reach a certain level that can merit answers from us and to engage you in discussion.

I understand u brother. talk about headache one undergo talking to this kind of people. long story n they will complain about long epistle. but sometimes u never cant tell
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by kaybyte: 10:46am On Nov 16, 2013
Al-Baqir:

LOVING THE AHL AL-BAYT!

BLOOD vs VIRTUE
Al-Imran vs 33 -34.

C. ON SAHABA

Let me give you a peep:

Also prophet fore-told:

ON AISHA!

Being prophet's wife!

ON UMAR!

Thanks sir
Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by kaybyte: 10:55am On Nov 16, 2013
[quote author=Al-Baqir]

LOVING THE AHL AL-BAYT!
"..."Say (O prophet): No reward do I ask of you for this (service) except kindness to my kindred" ~ash-shura vs 23. ) al baqir ash-shura vs 23 has nothing to do with what you claim please recheck
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by kaybyte: 11:21am On Nov 16, 2013
Al baqir, you are just misquotin verses. The verse ash-shura vs 23 did not say ' no reward do i ask of you except kindness to my kndred' but it says '' no reward do i ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you''. Now you can see how you people misquot the verses of the qur'an just to suit your practice.

2 Likes

Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 11:38am On Nov 16, 2013
kaybyte: Al baqir, you are just misquotin verses. The verse ash-shura vs 23 did not say ' no reward do i ask of you except kindness to my kndred' but it says '' no reward do i ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you''. Now you can see how you people misquot the verses of the qur'an just to suit your practice.

You see dear brother he who throw stone...

Initially I thought I made mistake for that quotation then I realized you were the one who actually make the biggest mistake.

The arabic read: "...qul La Ashalukum alayhi ajran illal mawadata fil Qur'ba..."

This (' no reward do i ask of you except kindness to my kndred') is never my quotation brother. My quotation is: ""..."Say (O prophet): No reward do I ask of you for this (service) except kindness to my kindred" ~ash-shura vs 23.

My translation is 100% correct. Kindly check your english text and preferably the arabic text.

Here's Abdullahi Yusuf Ali, another translation:

"...say: 'No reward do I ask of this except the love of those near of kin..."

There's no such thing in the sura as you quoted "...to me for my kinship with you"

You have to be very careful with different translation otherwise you will absorb translation according to set of beliefs of the translator. Many translate to suit their belief. I wonder why they cannot translate word for word arabic to english meaning. This is how bible lost its value but thank God we have Arabic original preserved.

Try and compare different translations then you will see difference of 'opinion in translation'
There are many verses like that with different translations due to each particular sets of belief.
And this goes as to different interpretations (tafsir) on the same verse.

Dear brother, it is only reasonable to vex out your
complain had it been all my references (tafsir, books of hadith and tarikh of ahlu sunnah) were false.

Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2013
kaybyte: Al baqir, you are just misquotin verses. The verse ash-shura vs 23 did not say ' no reward do i ask of you except kindness to my kndred' but it says '' no reward do i ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you''. Now you can see how you people misquot the verses of the qur'an just to suit your practice.

You see dear brother he who throw stone...

Initially I thought I made mistake for that quotation then I realized you were the one who actually make the biggest mistake.

The arabic read: "...qul La Ashalukum alayhi ajran illal mawadata fil Qur'ba..."

This (' no reward do i ask of you except kindness to my kndred') is never my quotation brother. My quotation is: ""..."Say (O prophet): No reward do I ask of you for this (service) except kindness to my kindred" ~ash-shura vs 23.

My translation is 100% correct. Kindly check your english text and preferably the arabic text.

Here's Abdullahi Yusuf Ali, another translation:

"...say: 'No reward do I ask of this except the love of those near of kin..."

There's no such thing in the sura as you quoted "...to me for my kinship with you"

You have to be very careful with different translation otherwise you will absorb translation according to set of beliefs of the translator. Many translate to suit their belief. I wonder why they cannot translate word for word arabic to english meaning. This is how bible lost its value but thank God we have Arabic original preserved.

Try and compare different translations then you will see difference of 'opinion in translation'
There are many verses like that with different translations due to each particular sets of belief.
And this goes as to different interpretations (tafsir) on the same verse.

Dear brother, it is only reasonable to vex out your
complain had it been all my references (tafsir, books of hadith and tarikh of ahlu sunnah) were false.

Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2013

As I said earlier, many translate to suit his personal set of beliefs. Few translate word for word. Some translate with already accepted interpretations (tafsir). Here are some different translations of different authors from different websites:

1. "...Say: I do not ask of you any reward for it but love for my near relatives;..."

2. "...No reward do I ask of you for this [message] other than [that you should] love your fellow-men..."

3. "I do not ask you any recompense except your love for being my close relatives."

4. "I do not ask of you any reward for this work. However, I do seek the love of the kindred."

5. " ...Say (O Muhammad ): "No reward
do I ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you."

NB: this is where your translation comes in.

6. "...(O Prophet): “I do not ask you for any recompense for my work except love towards kinsfolk."

7. "...(O Prophet): 'I do not ask you for any
recompense for my work except love towards kinsfolk.'
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by xclusive43(m): 10:31am On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Salam,
To your points:
Point1. I don't need to comment on personal theories.

2. Al-hamdulillah for once you agree Abdullah Ibn Abbas (R) was not credible to report the hadith because of his age. Then why lying against him (r)? and this has suggested you concur the "arrival" was the 1st year of Hijrah otherwise you wouldn't have submit on Ibn Abbas just like that. Telling me its for the sake of argument do not hold.

Other reporters:
Abu Musa al-Ashari came from the tribe of Ashar in Yemen. He converted to Islam before Hijra and since that day till khaybar (7th year Hijrah), he was no where to be found. The prophet sent him back to Yemen to spread Islam and he was never with the holy prophet in the 1st year of Hijra.

Abu hurayra converted to Islam 3years before the demise of the holy prophet(saws) in Sham (Syria) and was only seen in Madina after khaybar which occured in 7th year hijra. If one werent at the event then how can one narrate what happened?

Muawiyyah converted to Islam in the 8th year of hijra which was 7th yr after the mentioning of the hadith relating to Ashura.
Besides can one label Mu'awiya a reliable source? Somebody whom the holy prophet (saws) said: "“At the time of his death, Mu’awiyah shall not be counted as member of my Muslim Ummah.” (Al- Tabari, Muhammad ibn Jarir. Ta'rikh Al-Rusul Wa'l-
Muluk(Vol. 8, Pg. 186; Imam Nasai was killed in Sham because of a single hadith he narrated on Mu'awiyah where Rasul cursed him))

NB: Please how can you say ALL the sahaba of the prophet (saws) are righteous?

ON SAHABA!
Shi'a stand on general sahaba is that: Not ALL of them were righteous. Qur'an exposed some of Munafiq among them to the point that some were unknown to the prophet; Allah said only Him know them (sura Tawbah vs 101).
Qur'an, hadith and History even reveal those who apostatized among them after the death of the prophet.
And truly there were many righteous steadfast role-model personalities among them.

Let me give you a peep:

Also prophet fore-told:

To your last theories:

Brother, ain't gonna take those theories dogmatically. Prove with concrete evidence inkuntum sadiqin.

Salam.

it is not only the companions
listed by you or me who narrated
the Hadeeths about the fasting of
Ashuraa. The Prophet’s order to fast
Ashuraa is reported by many
companions, such as Aishah (Bukhari
and Muslim), and Abdullah ibn Masud
(Bukhari and Muslim), both reporting
that this day was fasted before
Ramadhan was ordained (in the 2nd
year of Hijrah). Aishah was not only a
Muslim at birth but the Prophet’s wife
soon after he migrated to Madinah,
three years after conducting the
marriage contract with her in Makkah.
Ar-Rubayyi Bint Muwawwidh (Bukhari
and Muslim), and she is from the
Ansar, and Abdullah ibn Umar
(Bukhari), one of the earliest Makkan
Muslims, also reported that the
Prophet of Allah, salla-llahu alaihi wa-
sallam, fasted Ashuraa and ordered its
fast. Ibn Umar was among the early
Muslims in Makkah and migrated to
Madinah early on. Ar-Rubayyi became
Muslim early on in the Madinah era.
The same is said about Salamah ibn Al-
Akwa who also reported the fast of
Ashura (Bukhari and Muslim). Aishah
(Bukhari and Muslim) reported that
Ashura was also fasted by the pagans
of Quraish and that the Prophet, salla-
llahu alaihi wa-sallam, used to fast it
too; when he came to Madinah he
fasted it and ordered that it is fasted
until Ramadhan was ordained then the
fast of Ashuraa became optional. The
same report is found in Sunan Abi
Dawud from Abdullah ibn Umar.

Abu Musa al-Ashaari became
Muslim early on, and attended the
battle of Khaibar after having made
Hijrah to Ethiopia. Abu Hurairah
became Muslim just before the battle
of Khaibar and attended it also.
Therefore, both of these honorable
companions were present during the
battle of Khaibar

If what the
you claims is true, that these
Hadeeths were fabricated by the said
companions, then why no other
companion who was present then
protested their mistake?

The mentioned
companions were indeed truthful in
what they narrated, and what they
narrated is either direct, i.e., they
witnessed it (as we will soon discover),
or it was conveyed to them by other
companions. In a narration collected
by Imam ash-Shafii from Muawiyah
ibn Abi Sufyan, Muawiyah states that
he heard the Prophet of Allah, salla-
llahu alaihi wa-sallam, say that fasting
of Ashuraa is optional. Muawiyah lived
in Makkah until he became Muslim,
and Quraish used to fast Ashuraa in
Makkah. Indeed, Muawiyah heard the
Prophet of Allah, salla-llahu alaihi wa-
sallam, recommend fasting Ashuraa
with his own ears, i.e., after Hijrah,
i.e., the Prophet repeated his
recommendation more than at one
occasion.

you think that just because the mentioned
companions were not with the
Prophet, salla-llahu alaihi wa-sallam,
upon Hijrah or not even Muslim upon
Hijrah, they could not have possibly
gained knowledge of what happened
before them or heard the successive
recommendations given by the
Prophet, salla-llahu alaihi wa-sallam,
to fast Ashuraa. May be you think that
they should not have asked about what
happened before them or narrated
what they heard afterwards.

Allahu a'alam

Salamalaikum
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by xclusive43(m): 10:34am On Nov 17, 2013
babylolaroy:
its true dear brother. The prophet the following year when he intended to observe the fast..That means he gave it approval buh was not opportuned to ever fast it

Allahu alam
Please do not mistake Ashura for Tasu'a
The prophet was not opportuned to fast tasu'a but he did fast Ashura
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 11:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
xclusive43:
Please do not mistake Ashura for Tasu'a
The prophet was not opportuned to fast tasu'a but he did fast Ashura

You are only confusing yourself brother. Prophet (saws) died in the 10th year of Hijrah. If he couldn't fasted Tasu'a (9th of the first month of Arab calendar)the following year (11th year of hijrah), that also mean the incident of meeting the Jew happened in the 10th year. Funny!

The hadith where he met the Jew and asked them what they were fasting for...and they in turn told him the essence of that Ashura fasting: is the centre in which all other hadith on Ashura revolve.
Aisha and other narrators:
On the other hand, Aisha was 6years old (according to Bukhari) in the 2nd year of Hijrah when she got married to the prophet (saws). In fact her own case was described by one of the maid that she was just a small innocent girl who plays with dull and sleeps while playing while goat eat her food. What does that suggested for asserting Aisha to report narration on Ashura?
I beg you to go back and read about Abu Hurayra, Abu Musa al-Ash'ari et al.

The very hadith altogether is full of contradictory statements.

No matter how hard and long we drag this, I will stand on that unique point that if Ashura is so important and real, JEW will never be the one the holy prophet (saws) will get info from for what Ashura stand for.

Other hadith which prove one blessing or two given to different prophet on the day of Ashura from Adam to E'esa...what was the blessing received by the greatest and last prophet, Muhammad on that day?

Till next year Ashura. May Allah spare our lives.

Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by xclusive43(m): 2:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
Al-Baqir:

You are only confusing yourself brother. Prophet (saws) died in the 10th year of Hijrah. If he couldn't fasted Tasu'a (9th of the first month of Arab calendar)the following year (11th year of hijrah), that also mean the incident of meeting the Jew happened in the 10th year. Funny!

The hadith where he met the Jew and asked them what they were fasting for...and they in turn told him the essence of that Ashura fasting: is the centre in which all other hadith on Ashura revolve.
Aisha and other narrators:
On the other hand, Aisha was 6years old (according to Bukhari) in the 2nd year of Hijrah when she got married to the prophet (saws). In fact her own case was described by one of the maid that she was just a small innocent girl who plays with dull and sleeps while playing while goat eat her food. What does that suggested for asserting Aisha to report narration on Ashura?
I beg you to go back and read about Abu Hurayra, Abu Musa al-Ash'ari et al.

The very hadith altogether is full of contradictory statements.

No matter how hard and long we drag this, I will stand on that unique point that if Ashura is so important and real, JEW will never be the one the holy prophet (saws) will get info from for what Ashura stand for.

Other hadith which prove one blessing or two given to different prophet on the day of Ashura from Adam to E'esa...what was the blessing received by the greatest and last prophet, Muhammad on that day?

Till next year Ashura. May Allah spare our lives.

Salam.
If you don't believe with all the proofs av givven you fine...
i shall continue the fasting till i am no longer living.....
if you can't fast i wont force you to

salam

1 Like

Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by Akiika: 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
May Allah forgive you and all of the people confusing you. Certainly, only Allah knows the truth.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 10:24pm On Nov 02, 2014
Peace be on Hussain on this day of sadness. Salam on the holy prophet ! Salam on Imam Ali, Salam on Fatima. Salam on al-Hassan. Salam on Ali ibn Hussain. Salam on those spirited souls who stood by Hussain when needed help most.

On this day of Ashura, we commemorate with sadness, the martyrs of Karbala.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by Dmeji4444(m): 5:01pm On Nov 23, 2014
Salam Aleikum,,,firstly, the last time i checked ,our beloved prophet(SAW) did not tell us to b sunni muslims or shia muslim,,and Allah (SWT) never mentioned any divition among d muslims,,so I am just a MUSLIM.
Secondly,if i may ask, what brought up the division?
Thirdly,i read a coment in this thread trying to nullify the hadeeth of the Mustapha(SAW), was d person trying 2say we should not believe in Hadeeth or what?
Fourtly, did Allah prescribe the posture to follow in the quran?,what i wanna say is that there are many things we do as muslims which r not detailed in the quran but was explain by the hadeeth because what i believe is that its the hadeeth that give d full context of the quran.
Lastly,the issue of Ashura ,u fast if u wanna fast and if u don't wanna fast ,left 2u,or r u trying 2say prophet Eisa (SAW) ws not prophet? Because Mustopha(SAW) never said other prophets were no more prophets .what he says is "I am to other prophets what a conner stone is to the building"
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2014
Dmeji4444:
Salam Aleikum,,,firstly, the last time i checked ,our beloved prophet(SAW) did not tell us to b sunni muslims or shia muslim,,and Allah (SWT) never mentioned any divition among d muslims,,

Wa alaykum salam. Ma sha Allah! You are very right brother. In fact, Allah and His noble prophet warned us against sectarianism. Yet, the free-will given to us pushed us to divide ourselves either to the path of success or path of perdition.

The holy prophet said: "My Ummah will divide into 73 sects, and only one out of that 73 will enter paradise". (Tirmidhi, Abu dawud)

While every tom, dick and harry claim its sect/faction or ideology is that "one", accusing fingers is being put at other sects.

Dmeji4444:

so I am just a MUSLIM.

This is possible only in theory. I'm sorry its not in practical. Your ideology (whatever it is) and practice of "sunnah" is definitely belong to a particular sects out of that 'division' so technically you belong while you know not.

Dmeji4444:

Secondly,if i may ask, what brought up the division?

On his death-bed, the exemplary prophet (peace be on him and his household) called form pen and paper to write documents which he said "will prevent his ummah (muslim community) from going astray".

Alas! They (some companions) accused him of MADNESS and prevented him from writing the documents. Others were clamoring for that pen and paper to be provided; and there was chaos to the point that the prophet sent all of the companions present away.

Abdullah ibn Abbas who among those that narrated this incidents, as documented in sahih Bukhari and sahih muslim, said: "calamity and misfortune of muslims started that day"

What does the holy prophet (peace be on him and his progeny) intended to document that will guarantee this Ummah from going astray?

Different theories are presented, and only one could be the truth. That's where I think your research should focus unless you decided on your own volition to keep mute.

Dmeji4444:

Thirdly,i read a coment in this thread trying to nullify the hadeeth of the Mustapha(SAW), was d person trying 2say we should not believe in Hadeeth or what?

Don't mind those 'groups'. They labeled themselves "quranites". In their ideology, only Quran should be followed not ahadith/sunnah.

Dmeji4444:

Fourtly, did Allah prescribe the posture to follow in the quran?,what i wanna say is that there are many things we do as muslims which r not detailed in the quran but was explain by the hadeeth because what i believe is that its the hadeeth that give d full context of the quran.

Hadith clarifies and gives additional informations.

Dmeji4444:

Lastly,the issue of Ashura ,u fast if u wanna fast and if u don't wanna fast ,left 2u,or r u trying 2say prophet Eisa (SAW) ws not prophet? "

Is better you get the gist right before you draw conclusions otherwise you will get controlled by emotions:
www.nairaland.com/1967745/controversy-surrounding-significance-ashura-10th

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Verily, With Hardship, There Is Relief / Who Is This Allah? / Sisters Come In.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.