Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,597 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison (1687 Views)

Harry Kitilya Carrying Bucket Of Water In Prison / Donald Trump Vows– Will Lock Museveni And Mugabe In Prison If I Become President / Ariel Castro Commits Suicide In Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Kunberg: 4:47am On Nov 12, 2013
[img]http://4.bp..com/-AR61I87gak0/UoGeno1TmVI/AAAAAAAAD3k/_L2VfxllYVo/s1600/Kash-Delano-Register.jpg[/img]

In 1979, Brenda Anderson testified that a young man with whom she had gone to high school shot her elderly neighbor to death. Thirty-four years later, Anderson’s sister Sharon took the stand and said the account, which helped send the young man to prison, was a lie.

On Thursday, a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge sided with Sharon Anderson and threw out the conviction of Kash Delano Register, who maintained his innocence during more than three decades as inmate No. C11693, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Register took his first steps of freedom just after 4:30 p.m. Friday. The 53-year-old exonerated inmate was transported from a Northern California jail to the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown Los Angeles, where he left a free man, CBS Los Angeles reports.

“It was just an emotional feeling that just came out of nowhere,” Register said. “Finally, after 34 years.”
His release followed a Thursday ruling in which a judge overturned Register’s murder conviction in connection with the 1979 fatal shooting of a 78-year-old man in West Los Angeles.

“I lost my eyesight for a minute. I couldn’t see. I was so rejoiced,” Register’s mother said. “I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. That he had his freedom back.”

His freedom is due in part to Keith Chandler, a former inmate at Folsom State Prison and prison library clerk. Thirteen years ago, Register asked for Chandler’s advice.

“‘I need your help with the parole board,’” Chandler recalled Register saying. “‘I want to know how to explain to the board that I’m not crazy when I say I’m innocent,’ because he was being repeatedly denied parole.”

When Chandler was released from prison, he wrote a petition to get a judge to appoint Register an attorney.
Register ended up with a team of attorneys and students from Loyola Law School’s Project for the Innocent.

They presented a new case, including testimony from Sheila Vanderkam, the estranged sister of one of the original key witnesses, who said she knew her sister lied during her testimony in Register’s trial

http://www.emmanuelbabatunde.com/2013/11/black-man-wrongly-convicted-released.html
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by segzyj(m): 5:07am On Nov 12, 2013
GOod.
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Gboliwe: 5:29am On Nov 12, 2013
How is he going to intergrate in the larger society? I hope they compensate him heavily and remove the ex-convict stigma. Chei! I just feel for him. 34years of restrained freedom. God shield me from evil witnesses

3 Likes

Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by BabaEleko(m): 5:32am On Nov 12, 2013
Only God understands!!!
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by waleadex(m): 5:35am On Nov 12, 2013
So sad...
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Sageez(m): 5:44am On Nov 12, 2013
too bad he had to wast his life in prison
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by greatgod2012(f): 5:57am On Nov 12, 2013
Did i see "good" up there as a comment to this thread? Abeg, what is goodin this? His most fruitful and potent years have been wasted in jain for an offence he's innocent of, and moreso, he's gonna suffer the ex-convict stigma for the rest of his life foran offence he's innocent of, only for him to be released after 34 years that he's actually innocent of the said offence and someone is saying good, good ko, gooder ni, he better go back and demand for a heavy compesation from them all to be able to stand back on his feet again, or else, insist on staying there with them until his demand is adequately met.

Arrant Nonsense!
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by biafranqueen: 6:18am On Nov 12, 2013
greatgod2012: Did i see "good" up there as a comment to this thread? Abeg, what is goodin this? His most fruitful and potent years have been wasted in jain for an offence he's innocent of, and moreso, he's gonna suffer the ex-convict stigma for the rest of his life foran offence he's innocent of, only for him to be released after 34 years that he's actually innocent of the said offence and someone is saying good, good ko, gooder ni, he better go back and demand for a heavy compesation from them all to be able to stand back on his feet again, or else, insist on staying there with them until his demand is adequately met.

Arrant Nonsense!
unfortunate, but common in the American justice system right now in Guantanmo 90% of the prisoners are said to be innocent and have been in Prison since 2001 for possible threats to Americas security. None of the men even got a trial just in prison waiting for almost 13 years. At least 2 African American men a year are set free after innocence has been proven since I was a teenager it is no longer a news in the states, they say because the system is so backed up it takes decades for evidence and other possibilities for justice to prevail to be approved. The same goes in Nigeria, so many people in jail just for haterism but no chance for review for the poor masses, the rich criminals can do no wrong as long as cash can be exchanged!
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by go4value(m): 6:21am On Nov 12, 2013
End time tins.....
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by tsleazy(m): 6:35am On Nov 12, 2013
go4value: End time tins.....
sharrap
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by 99100(m): 6:53am On Nov 12, 2013
So pathetic.
But atleast it is better late than never.
I'm sad and happy for him.
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by fr3do(m): 7:01am On Nov 12, 2013
He's black na
Bloody racists
But did he get a good lawyer?
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 12, 2013
A man was sentenced to jail for donkey years cos of a lying witness.? there is more to this story.
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Peterwizzy: 7:03am On Nov 12, 2013
Okay
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by pendusky(m): 7:10am On Nov 12, 2013
same thng is happening here in nigeria
SEVEN YEARS IN PRISON B'COZ HE COULDNT AFFORD N2,000-

i wrote this note back in 2009
This morning as we were driving slowly in a tense "Go Slow" we heard a
story by YAw from wazobia fm, the story lead us into arguments with
my Uncle, And finally It lead him giving us a true life story of an
innocent young man...

He told us how his client called him to prepare and charged a case to
court of an Innocent young man 10 years ago...
This young man was a graduate looking for job so he got up that day
and went to look for job, unfortunately for him, that moment some
robbers raid that area and police came to that point and arrested any
person they saw there. He was also arrested and was charged to court
on, They court adjourned their cases that day and the wicked people on
uniform demanded N2000 from them to be release, since the innocent
man could not get a dime on him he could not promise the police, on
their way back to prison they wrote Robbery case on his file and He was
transferred to ROBBERS prison.(I mean condemn ones)
He wrote home for several times, he would give those evangelism team
that will come to preach to them his parent address, but sometimes he
will not heard anything about it, and some times he the person will tell
him your parent are not living there anymore.(Am imagining if at all
those letter were really delivered)
After Some Months later where they could not heard from this young
man His relations and parent have gone to Churches, and they will be
telling them, He is still alive yet they could not see him
After So much thorough and empty searching for their Hope and Son in
Lagos they declare their Son DEAD! and The memories of their lovely son
was faded away.( GOD FORBID BAD THINGS!)
After Seven years ( I MEAN 7 YEARS) in the prison you can imagine how
old he will be looking, Fortunately for him, A primary school friend of his
was just posted to that station as a warder, After Giving him food one
day, The young prisoner recognized him and after introduction they could
recognize each other, He asked Him what makes him to be there when
he narrated his story the warder his friend could not hold back the
tears, He told him that How his dead has been announced in the Village
six years back after a thorough but in vain searching for him.
The warder contacted His mother and their relations that the guy was
still alive, they were so happy to hear that their son was alive and since
the mother was working in a hotel, the owner who is my uncle's client
contacted my Uncle to prepared a case of the guy which he did and he
(my Uncle) said during the court session for the guy's case, the Judge
was MAD after hearing the case of the young man who suppose to
spend just three month in his case but rather spent SEVEN DEADLY
YEARS! He was FREED at that instance by the Judge without Delayed.
This was wickedness because the Guy couldn't afford N2000, Some ONE
wrote ROBBERY CASE on his case file!
Thank God today for the mobile technology that would have resolve that
issue before it got deeply.
But Please Fellow friends, If we could have compassion for someone this
world will be a better place for us,Please Stop doing wickedness to
people because you have the power to do so. Lets Know that "WHAT WE
SOW WE SHALL REAP" Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have
them do unto you. I can assure you that not Everybody in the prison
yard actually committed the crime they are charge with. So Why not
visit them, Give them what you can and preach to them... You and I can
change this world if we believe stop the wickedness and start loving your
neighbors as our selves!
pendusky

1 Like

Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2013
Gboliwe: How is he going to intergrate in the larger society? I hope they compensate him heavily and remove the ex-convict stigma. Chei! I just feel for him. 34years of restrained freedom. God shield me from evil witnesses
amen X100!!!
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by coalcoal1(m): 7:21am On Nov 12, 2013
Freedom at last! This guy must have lost touch with reality. He needs a lot of catching up to do like Al Muatapha, in terms of learning how to use new gadgets...etc.
Most of all, I pray he gets settled quickly and probably start a family.

But wait o. Will he be compensated?
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Energito: 7:23am On Nov 12, 2013
END TIME THINGS
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 12, 2013
where is the brenda anderson biatch

i swear the us criminal justice system - it is full of wrongly convicted people
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 12, 2013
WTH?!? angry

He wasted 34 years of his life in jail? As in, THIRTY-FOUR? shocked

That's bad.

Well, he's lucky he wasn't killed. Some get killed for the crime they didn't commit. Once there is life, there's hope.
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by dridowu: 7:59am On Nov 12, 2013
34 yrs no be moin moin , dy need to compenste d man adequately
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Burger01(m): 8:22am On Nov 12, 2013
What a life and what an injustice. The court is blind. Evidence on hearsay or oral testimony without proper investigation should not be taken and used in law court. Some people would testify wrongly just to get at the accused. But one thing in life is the wicked would not go unpunished.

sad
Re: Black Man Wrongly Convicted Released After 34 Years In Prison by Coldfaya(m): 10:08am On Nov 12, 2013
Smh up down sideways. Oh Lord may we not see such. Oh Lord pls free your children who r languishing in jail for what they didn't do. Even to those who committed crimes and r willing to turn a new leaf, Dear Lord pls grant them a second chance to freedom n life. Amen.

Singing Doncan mighty's 'Ikemefuna'

(1) (Reply)

Biden Gets An Unassailable Lead, He Is Now On 264 Out Of 270 / This Might Be The Last Time You See Me Alive’: Zelensky / Dollars Vs Rubles: Kremlin Drops Rubles Demand On Russia's Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.