Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident (1649 Views)

Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Lagos To Spend N19bn On 114 Roads. Check If A Road Close To You Is Listed. / Rochas Okorocha Sustains Head Injury In Road Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
A former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Festus Iyayi, is dead, union officials said.

Witnesses said Mr. Iyayi, 66, died along the the Lokoja-Abuja highway in an accident involving the the convoy of Kogi state Governor, Idris Wada.

The late university teacher was among ASUU leaders who met with President Goodluck Jonathan in Abuja last week to deliberate on how to end the four-month strike by lecturers.

Mr. Iyayi is believed to be travelling to Kano for Wednesday’s National Executive Committee meeting where a vote is likely to be taken on whether the ongoing strike should be called off.

One of the pilot cars in the governor’s convoy reportedly rammed into the vehicle in which Mr. Iyayi and other activists were travelling, killing him instantly, witnesses said.

But the Special Adviser to the Governor, Jacob Edi, said it was untrue that it was the governor’s pilot vehicle that hit Mr. Iyayi’s car.

“There was a collision on a narrow road and it is too early to say who rammed into who,” Mr. Edi told PREMIUM TIMES. ”The ASUU car was dodging a trailer and an accident occurred. It is not fair to politicise this incident.”

Mr. Edi said as soon as the accident happened, the governor directed that the ambulance in the convoy be used to convey the victims to the Federal Medical Centre, Lokoja.

Some of the victims, he said, were also taken to the Government House Clinic.

The Kogi governor’s spokesperson said the governor later visited the hospitals to sympathize with the victims of the accident.

He dismissed suggestions that the accident happened because of overspeeding by his boss’ convoy, saying Mr. Wada’s convoy travels at 80 km per hour.

Details later…

Below is Mr. Iyayi’s brief biography as published by Wikipedia.

Iyayi was born in Edo state, Nigeria. His family lived on little means but instilled in him strong moral lessons about life. Iyayi started his education at Annuciation Catholic College in the old Bendel state popularly known as ACC finishing in 1966. In 1967 he went to Government College Ughelli, graduating in 1968. In that same year he was a zonal winner in a Kennedy Essay Competition organised by the United States Embassy in Nigeria.

He left the shores of Nigeria to pursue his higher education, obtaining a M.Sc in Industrial Economics from the Kiev Institute of Economics, in the former USSR and then his Ph.D from the University of Bradford, England. In 1980, he went back to Benin and became a lecturer in the Department of Business Administration at the University of Benin.

As a member of staff of the University, he became interested in radical social issues, and a few years after his employment, he became the president of the local branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), a radical union known for its upfront style on academic and social welfare. He rose to the position of president of the national organization in 1986, but in 1988, the union was briefly banned and Iyayi was detained. In that same year, he won the Commonwealth Prize for Literature for his book “Heroes”. He was later removed from his faculty position. Today, Iyayi is a member of different Nigerian literary organizations and works in the private sector as a consultant.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/149464-ex-ASUU-president-festus-iyayi-dies-in-auto-crash-involving-kogi-governors-convoy.html

Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
Has anyone heard the news? please i need an update. Didn't get the full gist on the radio. But i heard the former president died on the spot and the incumbent secretary is critically injured. Updates pls.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by MRWHINNIG: 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
i smell conspiracy.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pendusky(m): 3:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
the president? or which chapter? with the money they wan inject into their system they cant board a flight? hope not true
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pendusky(m): 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pompey1477(m): 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Pls someone confirm.heard they had an accident in lokoja and a renowned professor from uniben died on the spot.i just pray its not true
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by texazzpete(m): 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
pendusky: the president? or which chapter? with the money they wan inject into their system they cant board a flight? hope not true

I was going to tell you that it's been mentioned repeatedly that the money ASUU is fighting for isn't going to their pocket...

But you know, I can't be bothered anymore.

I knew him. He was a Gentleman and a Scholar and he always fought for what he believed was the right thing. Fearless and courageous. RIP cry
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by oluwashaddow(m): 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
Former ASUU President Dies In
Tragic Car Crash Enroute To ASUU
National Congress in Kano

The ongoing Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) strike has claimed its
biggest casualty as renowned writer,
university teacher and activist Festus
Iyayai died in a road accident on his
way to the national congress of ASUU in
Kano.
ASUU President Dr. Nasir Fagge
confirmed his death to SaharaReporters.
He said the sad news was broken to the
union a few hours ago.
The professor died on a failed portion of
a Nigerian highway around Lokoja in
Kogi state according to ASUU.

SAHARA REPORTERS

Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pompey1477(m): 4:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
Rip my beloved prof.i will miss u.your mba students in uniben will miss u greatly.rest in peace my mentor

1 Like

Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by juman(m): 5:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Very unfortunate.

Condolence to nigeria.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
When ASUU called the strike 4 months ago, they did not do it through zonal congresses so why organise zonal congresses now just to call off a strike? This is just another Nigeria way of making otherwise easy things very difficult and cumbersome.

Anyway, may the soul of the dead RIP
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pendusky(m): 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
texazzpete:

I was going to tell you that it's been mentioned repeatedly that the money ASUU is fighting for isn't going to their pocket cry
".... .Although the government
is planning to allocate just 9% of the 2014 budget to education, ASSU
now seems set to end thestrike after government offers that would
surely boost lecturers’ take home pay and improve varsity
infrastructure..."

so what are u telling me??
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by texazzpete(m): 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
pendusky:
".... .Although the government
is planning to allocate just 9% of the 2014 budget to education, ASSU
now seems set to end thestrike after government offers that would
surely boost lecturers’ take home pay and improve varsity
infrastructure..."

so what are u telling me??

The allowances have been agreed to long ago. They are relatively trivial. The reason the strike has been on for so long now is the capital injection the FG agreed to inject in the University system in the 2009 agreement. That is yet to be delivered yet.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by dapachez: 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP Sir,you death is a colossal loss to the academia. Just left his residence its such a sad sight. May GOD comfort the family and give them the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by chemashie(m): 5:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: When ASUU called the strike 4 months ago, they did not do it through zonal congresses so why organise zonal congresses now just to call off a strike? This is just another Nigeria way of making otherwise easy things very difficult and cumbersome.

Anyway, may the soul of the dead RIP
Get your fact right, ASUU strike was first declared at the National level after a NEC meeting at Nasarawa State University and all chairmen were directed to declare the strike in their various congress meetings. Where did you get your own story?
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by atlwireles: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
texazzpete:

The allowances have been agreed to long ago. They are relatively trivial. The reason the strike has been on for so long now is the capital injection the FG agreed to inject in the University system in the 2009 agreement. That is yet to be delivered yet.

beautiful story cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by atlwireles: 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2013
pompey1477: Rip my beloved prof.i will miss u.your mba students in uniben will miss u greatly.rest in peace my mentor

MBA lecturer? RIP and sorry to his family. But MBA lecturer, Nigeria business we have a problem.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by topeorekoy(m): 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
R.I.P to the dead.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
chemashie:
Get your fact right, ASUU strike was first declared at the National level after a NEC meeting at Nasarawa State University and all chairmen were directed to declare the strike in their various congress meetings. Where did you get your own story?
You shameless liar. Read how the strike was called and the REASONS below:

Sincere 9geria:
** ASUU begins indefinite strike

July 2, 2013 by Segun Olugbile

The ASUU National President, Dr. Isa Fagge, said in Lagos on Monday that the decision to embark on the action was reached during the National Executive Council meeting of the union held at Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State on Monday.

“One of the issues that needed to be addressed was basically that of the academic earned allowance.
“This earned allowance, and other issues, had dragged on until government then agreed to write an MOU with the union.

http://www.punchng.com/education/ASUU-begins-indefinite-strike/

When ASUU called the strike, there was no jamboree. But now they need a jamboree to call off the strike. Yeye dey smell
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by texazzpete(m): 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

When ASUU called the strike, there was no jamboree. But now they need a jamboree to call off the strike. Yeye dey smell

When they went on strike, they had ONE common agenda in mind. Actualizing the legally 2009 agreement which was also endorsed by your master GEJ.

After 4 months of strike, their demands have not been fully met. FG has put forward a COMPROMISE solution which is different from what ASUU members agreed on. Is it now so difficult for your addled brain to comprehend why they now need to hold a referendum and hold discussions on calling off the strike, when their chief goals have not yet been met?

For weeks you have babbled on about them meeting the FG halfway. Now they are holding internal discussions to consider the FG's proposals, you're making noise.

Anytime I think I've seen the depths of your silliness, you one-up yourself. Bravo.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by chemashie(m): 7:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by chemashie(m): 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
You are a WRETCHED LIAR! I thought you said there was no NEC meeting prior the ASUU strike. You came here with your usual lies to rant as if Faggae woke up and declared the strike without consulting all the lecturers. Idiota..
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by AMACRITY(f): 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
pendusky: the president? or which chapter? with the money they wan inject into their system they cant board a flight? hope not true
don't say that. he was d former ASUU president, a humble man always fighting for human right. Uniben will miss him.
Re: ASUU Members Involved In A Road Accident by pendusky(m): 11:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
AMACRITY: don't say that. he was d former ASUU president, a humble man always fighting for human right. Uniben will miss him.
thats okay!

(1) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu And Chris Ngige Phone Conversation After Elections. / Ewooo!! Ebola In Adamawa / BREAKING NEWS: IGP Orders For Tambuwal's Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.