Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart (18540 Views)

Be Like Bill - Be Smart On The Internet / 9 Reasons To Stop/reduce Eating Instant Noodles. / How To Be Smart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by maclatunji: 2:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hello, it is an understatement to say I read a lot of stuff on the Internet. Some of it I blog about, others I share on Nairaland or other websites whilst I just assimilate others personally.

I am sharing this one with you Nairalanders.

13 Reasons Why It is Cool to be Smart

1. You Don't Have To Try As Hard

Contrary to popular belief, it's really cool to be smart! Being brainy has a lot of perks, so get ready to soak up all of the great things that life has to offer you.

First of all, you don't have to try as hard to do well. If you've already got the knowledge, it takes a lot less effort to do well on a test, finish an assignment, study, or get your work done. With all of that time back at your disposal, you can fit in plenty of fun on the side!

2. Being Smart Is In

In the olden days, being smart meant that you were looked down upon as a "nerd" or a "geek," and mocked mercilessly for your intelligence. These days, though, being smart is considered "in." Even one of the biggest hit shows on TV, 'The Big Bang Theory,' revolves around smart people!

It's a great time to be smart, so don't bother dumbing yourself down. Be proud of your intelligence!

3. Win More Arguments

If you ever get into debates or arguments with people, you know how much high intelligence can help! Smart people win arguments left and right, because they always know how to out-smart their adversaries.

They may find you annoying and say that you think you're "smarter than everyone else," but so what? You actually are, so if the shoe fits, put it on and go for a run!

4. Get Better Jobs

You've probably heard it said that you should be nice to the nerds, because you'll end up working for them someday. That saying didn't come into existence for no reason!

Smart people generally have the qualifications and intellect required to snag better jobs. That's just the way it is. You might as well be one of those people on top of the job market, right?

5. Understand the Best Jokes and References
Some jokes are so intelligently planned and executed that they sail right over the heads of people of average intelligence. If you're smart, though, you'll be able to understand even the most difficult-to-comprehend jokes!
Who doesn't love a good joke?

6. Raise Smarter Kids

If you're hoping to start a family one day (or you're already in the process of doing so), think about your kids! Smarter parents usually result in more intelligent children, either due to genetics or learned behaviors.

Creating a new generation of intellectuals can only be good for humanity as a whole, so passing your smarts onto your kids is very cool, indeed!

7. Be a More Well-Rounded Person

Uneducated people generally have a very small view of the world around them, and they miss out on a lot of the great things life has to offer. That rarely happens to smart people, though! They see things that the average person would never even notice, and they understand the way things work in a completely different way.

If you're smart, rejoice and remember that it's part of what makes you such a cultured and well-rounded person.

8. Make More Money

Like we mentioned earlier, smart people have a tendency to get better jobs than the average Joe Schmoe. As you can imagine, money goes along with that! Intelligent people are more likely to have incredible job opportunities that result in high paychecks.

It doesn't get much cooler than a big pile of green. Bill Gates would probably agree.

9. Better Conversational Skills
Some people have a hard time with holding long, thoughtful conversations. But if you're smart, you have plenty of interesting things to say, and you'll be better equipped to turn those tidbits into an actual conversation.

Interpersonal relationships are one of the most important things in life, and communication is the key to success, so this perk definitely comes in handy!

10. Get More Respect
Have you ever heard someone go on a rant against "stupid people"? Honestly, the world is filled with uneducated folks who can be a real drain on the rest of society. As a result, disrespect is sent their way regularly, and they probably don't have any idea why.

Intelligent people, on the other hand, are respected by their peers and sometimes even complete strangers. That's an incredibly good feeling!

11. Get Awarded for Your Brilliance

Athletes get a lot of rewards for playing a good game or getting a certain rank, but what do smart people get for being intelligent? Well, oftentimes they get prizes, too!

Whether you're in school or working in an adult job, rewards are given for being successful, and intelligence can help you get there. It could come in the form of a trophy, a plaque, or even a promotion or raise!

12. Even the Celebs Are Doing It
If you thought being smart equated to being stuffy, boring, and/or ugly, think again! Even some of the most glamorous celebrities have brilliant minds, with some going so far as to pursue higher education in Ivy League schools.
Here's just a short list of celebrities who are considered very smart:
• Natalie Portman
• Emma Watson
• Jake Gyllenhaal
• Rashida Jones
• Conan O'Brien
• Matt Damon

13. Be Surrounded By Greatness

Finally, if the company of celebrities doesn't interest you, maybe the company of fictional characters will! These are just some of the totally awesome intelligent characters the world has come to know and love:
• Topanga Lawrence from 'Boy Meets World'
• Donatello from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'
• Hermione Granger from 'Harry Potter'
• Dr. Temperance Brennan from 'Bones'
• Sherlock Holmes
• Tony Stark from 'Iron Man'

Source: http://www.plusbrainpower.com/gallery/6186/13-reasons-it-s-cool-to-be-smart

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are not mine. I am only sharing what I discovered and found interesting. I thought it nice to share.

Thank you.

15 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by prof800(m): 2:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for sharing. smiley
Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Alikaxon(m): 3:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for being honest, that doesn't mean you can't do it or do better.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Lawconfessor(f): 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nice post though.

I dont knw- Some of dem dd nt mak much sense to me, or shud i say dat some of doz re certainly what one cant control.

Thanks for posting sha.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by maclatunji: 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
Law-confessor:
Nice post though.

I dont knw- Some of dem dd nt mak much sense to me, or shud i say dat some of doz re certainly what one cant control.

Thanks for posting sha.

I agree with you, there are many ways the article/collection can be improved on. You could list reasons why you think being smart is cool.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Fkforyou(m): 3:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice article....but I think the article is trying to say being smart is synonymous to being educated but I think there are some illitrate that are quite smart too...I might be wrong though.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
Fkforyou: Nice article....but I think the article is trying to say being smart is synonymous to being educated but I think there are some illitrate that are quite smart too...I might be wrong though.

Very true. I would say you have to be literate in at least one language to achieve your true potential at being smart.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Fkforyou(m): 4:23pm On Nov 13, 2013
^^^...o.k
Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by kekakuz(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2013
so how can one be smart

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Sard(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice post cool but.....

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by sexymoma(f): 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
Law-confessor:
Nice post though.

Thanks for posting sha.
Mother confessor nawa 4 u o angry

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by anselm791(m): 4:47pm On Nov 13, 2013
So how come nobody likes the president? Are you trying to say he's not smart? Tell us now o!
Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by packman: 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
[size=24pt]RUBBISH[/size]

4 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Wizdray: 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice 0ne

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by AlphaMaximus(m): 5:02pm On Nov 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by constance500: 5:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Being 'too' smart can lead to madness and paranoia and poor judgement!! Just ask Isaac Newton! cheesy

tell dem o..

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by adezjamz(m): 5:12pm On Nov 13, 2013
Wait make I register cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Olugbenger(m): 5:13pm On Nov 13, 2013
some smart folks still don't understand how to make Fp.
And this piece doesn't help too!

3 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by mrphysics(m): 5:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
everyone is smart just that the level of our smartness differs from individual to anoda. first to commment

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by abubaka101: 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
This article seemed to hav articulated being "smart", "street smart", "intelligent", and "brilliant" as one... Though they are different in certain cases...

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by anonimi: 5:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
maclatunji:
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are not mine. I am only sharing what I discovered and found interesting. I thought it nice to share.

Now that is smart.
Not like some posters here who post and try to pass it off as theirs only for another to post the link later.

maclatunji:

I agree with you, there are many ways the article/collection can be improved on. You could list reasons why you think being smart is cool.

wink

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by anonimi: 5:45pm On Nov 13, 2013
anselm791: So how come nobody likes the president? Are you trying to say he's not smart? Tell us now o!

Or it takes really smart people to appreciate another smart person and we may not have the critical mass of smart people yet in Nigeria hence we are the way we are.
You must have heard that a one-eyed man leads blind people.
What do you think

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by abubaka101: 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Being 'too' smart can lead to madness and paranoia and poor judgement!! Just ask Isaac Newton! cheesy
He lived over 200years ago... And besides Newton was a scientist who was trying to strike a balance between religion and science, at a time when believing totally in science could get you burnt as a heretic by the church during the Renaissance which fueled the Scientic Revolution and the Enlightenment! Especially after wat Galileo went through (the guy had to deny his own work that proved dat the earth revolves around the Sun, and not the other way around as the church believed those days)...

3 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by OmolodMilkman93(m): 5:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
Noted

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by abubaka101: 5:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
anonimi:

Or it takes really smart people to appreciate another smart person and we may not have the critical mass of smart people yet in Nigeria hence we are the way we are.
You must have heard that a one-eyed man leads blind people.
What do you think
Now that was a smart reply! lol

4 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Abbey2sam(m): 6:23pm On Nov 13, 2013
Been smart is a very cool tin
If you tink your not smart, try reading a lot of books (read any type of book)

Watch highly intellectual movies
Like "big bang theory"

I put it to you that you can never understand this movie if your not smart

Hang around intelligent chaps
Always tink b4 you open anything (especially your mouth) lol

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by stevebond007(m): 6:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
big ups to dt. m officially an addict of "big bang theory". been smart is cool.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by iskalamong(m): 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice write up
Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by Jordanmusa(m): 6:45pm On Nov 13, 2013
Olugbenger: some smart folks still don't understand how to make Fp.
And this piece doesn't help too!

90% of the people on nairaland are so daft, it hurts my brain. That's why this may not have made front page except for the intelligent 10%.

1 Like

Re: 13 Cool Reasons To Be Smart by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
kekakuz: so how can one be smart

Let's start at being smart enough to know that when you post a question, you add a question mark at the end of it! tongue

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Proposed Ban On Okada: How Feasible Is It? / 8 People Drown In River Niger / I Don't Understand How To Make Or Reply Ppls Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.