Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,608 members, 7,801,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2463 Views)

Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by BlackPeni5: 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
The culture and tradition of every society does not only tell the story of their past, but is also an indication of how well that society will develop in the future.

Everything we hold dear today as "tradition" started with a ruler many hundred years ago. Most of these rulers made these laws based on the society of that time.

A lot has changed but we still hang on to some old primitive traditions such as the "Osu" syndrome which classifies human beings as outcasts.

I find it appalling that this tradition is still being religiously upheld in the Eastern Part of this country (I wonder if it exists anywhere else). Unfortunately most people who discriminate call themselves Christians and all what not.

I am not an Osu...besides I don't even come from that part of the world. But I think it is a Stvpid Tradition.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by ammyluv2002(f): 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ignorance is a disease grin
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by geeez: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
And they cry wolf when they are deported

3 Likes

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by abdulg: 3:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
G
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
Black Peni5: The culture and tradition of every society does not only tell the story of their past, but is also an indication of how well that society will develop in the future.

Everything we hold dear today as "tradition" started with a ruler many hundred years ago. Most of these rulers made these laws based on the society of that time.

A lot has changed but we still hang on to some old primitive traditions such as the "Osu" syndrome which classifies human beings as outcasts.

I find it appalling that this tradition is still being religiously upheld in the Eastern Part of this country (I wonder if it exists anywhere else). Unfortunately most people who discriminate call themselves Christians and all what not.

I am not an Osu...besides I don't even come from that part of the world. But I think it is a Stvpid Tradition.
OSU CASTE SYSTEM HAVE BEEN ABOLISH READ THE HISTORY OF OSU CASTE SYSTEM AND STOP BEING MISCHIEVOUS
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by iterator25: 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
Black Peni5: The culture and tradition of every society does not only tell the story of their past, but is also an indication of how well that society will develop in the future.

are you Nigerian at all
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
ammyluv2002: Ignorance is a disease grin
actually, ignorance is a bliss

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by BlackPeni5: 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
presher: OSU CASTE SYSTEM HAVE BEEN ABOLISH READ THE HISTORY OF OSU CASTE SYSTEM AND STOP BEING MISCHIEVOUS

To Hell with the Abolishment of the Caste system...I'm talking about what happens in the streets, the communities. Your communities.

The annoying thing is that it happened even in the Church. A man was denied his burial rights simply because he is "Osu" in their own words.

If you are not aware, just keep quiet...

If you have doubts just search comments made by people on this forum over this same issue...Very disturbing.

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by iterator25: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Black Peni5:

To Hell with the Abolishment of the Caste system...I'm talking about what happens in the streets, the communities. Your communities.

The annoying thing is that it happened even in the Church. A man was denied his burial rights simply because he is "Osu" in their own words.

If you are not aware, just keep quiet...

If you have doubts just search comments made by people on this forum over this same issue...Very disturbing.
I think you've been reading too much 'village' novels

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by BlackPeni5: 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: I think you've been reading too much 'village' novels

I want to believe you live under a Rock. If you didn't you would have at least asked your uncle in the village.

Suddenly the concept of "Osu" is now alien...Una no well.

3 Likes

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Mynd44: 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: I think you've been reading too much 'village' novels
Unfortunately he is not.....we even had a debate on it in romance some months back

https://www.nairaland.com/1330424/u-marry-osu

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by iterator25: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
Mynd_44:
Unfortunately he is not.....we even had a debate on it in romance some months back

https://www.nairaland.com/1330424/u-marry-osu
Don't you get it, d shiit ain't in existence anymore ..Op has issues

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Mynd44: 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: Don't you get it, d shiit ain't in existence anymore ..Op has issues
If you go through that thread, you'd see where people say they would not marry an osu. You would see where people although say they don't discriminate, it is real where they are from.

Answer this question honestly, hell, don't even answer: would someone who is classified an "osu" be allowed to take up an elective office in the village he is from? Can he vie for local government chairmanship or governor?

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by iterator25: 8:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Mynd_44:
If you go through that thread, you'd see where people say they would not marry an osu. You would see where people although say they don't discriminate, it is real where they are from.

Answer this question honestly, hell, don't even answer: would someone who is classified an "osu" be allowed to take up an elective office in the village he is from? Can he vie for local government chairmanship or governor?
smh.. some peeps still hung onto primitive thingz.. anyways, Goodluck to you
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Mynd44: 8:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: smh.. some peeps still hung onto primitive thingz.. anyways, Goodluck to you
Which is why we should not assume that it is no longer practiced

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Dibiachukwu: 11:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
I never heard of anything called Osu until I started watching movies.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Afam4eva(m): 2:17am On Nov 13, 2013
Dibiachukwu: I never heard of anything called Osu until I started watching movies.

No be only you oo...I have never seen an osu in my life or even heard where they've been discriminated against before. I know it exists but in very minute capacity. I think it's exaggerated.

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Freewilly(f): 2:20am On Nov 13, 2013
I'll rather be an osu any day than have those dreadful marks on my face. We are a nation of different cultures no one culture is better or more dreadful than the other. Osu was practiced in the Eastern part of Nigeria, but it's long abolished just like the calaba's used to kill twins years ago and was also abolished I'm sure the OP knows all this but just wants to act stu pit.

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Freewilly(f): 2:22am On Nov 13, 2013
Afam4eva:

No be only you oo...I have never seen an osu in my life or even heard where they've been discriminated against before. I know it exists but in very minute capacity. I think it's exaggerated.

Maybe I'm the Osu that hurts you in your dreams.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by BlackPeni5: 6:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Freewilly: I'll rather be an osu any day than have those dreadful marks on my face. We are a nation of different cultures no one culture is better or more dreadful than the other. Osu was practiced in the Eastern part of Nigeria, but it's long abolished just like the calaba's used to kill twins years ago and was also abolished I'm sure the OP knows all this but just wants to act stu pit.

This is not about the Easterners, but a culture although abolished and still actively practiced.

Parents even go the extra mile to verify if the spouses of their kids are Osu before allowing them to get married.

If you are ignorant, I'll understand. But I you choose to be stvpid, I have no control over that.

iterator25: Don't you get it, d shiit ain't in existence anymore ..Op has issues

The only issue i have now is your ignorance...its even worse than the Osu syndrome. Don't just sit on your computer a type shiit, ask questions.

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by classicEntity(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
Osu caste system is nothing much, its jst lyk a ban from the king on a particular individual who has done something wrong/broken d law within the community, whereby restraining d person inquestion from association, participation and using some important social amenities in the community (reap wat u sow), nd d person is due to b un-banned if some kind tins are done right as usual bt if nt un-banned dat 'osu' wateva might folo his generation 4eva (dis is wia its wrong). Hweva its more lyk UN sanctions etc, though it has been abolished since.....
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by macof(m): 5:58pm On Nov 13, 2013
Afam4eva:

That's because u live outside igboland
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2013
I was born and raised in Igboland (Anambra and Enugu states).I'm quite advanced, age-wise, and I am yet to see a single osu. Like Afam, Nollywood introduced me to that concept; then I went on to read about it in books.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. From what I have heard, it is practised in some places in Imo state. But I feel people who haven't lived in the East exaggerate its prevalence. Many parts of Igboland don't even know what osu is. And in places where it exists, it is dying out. I wish the pace of the dying was faster though.

There are many threads on NL about this Osu issue...So I wonder why the OP felt the need to start a new one.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by bigfrancis21: 8:05pm On Nov 13, 2013

macof:

That's because u live outside igboland

Don't judge your impressions based on some things you read on nairaland here. Me personaly]ly have never seen an osu neither do I know anyone who is. Osu doesn't even exist in the whole of Igboland. Osu is non-existent in Delta Igbo, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi and Rivers Igbo. Imo state(Owerri and environs) is where the Osu caste system exists, and even still it is very much downplayed. I spent half of my primary and my full 6 secondary school years here in Owerri and never heard anyone being called Osu in school neither did I meet anyone who is. I then went on to Enugu state for my university and never met anyone belong called Osu. I'm now serving in Owerri again and its still the same status quo. I am from Anambra state and the Osu thing is totally absent in my state. Calling of someone Osu is seen as a taboo and derogatory just as calling a black person 'nigger' is seen as derogatory. The issue of Osu comes up mainly during marriage.

Ignorance is very bad indeed. The poster should take a visit to the East one day and see things for himself as it is.

PS: At world bank where I currently stay in Owerri, I was returning home today and came across a couple of Yoruba male investors who bought land in the world bank area, Owerri and were planning to start developing it. This is against the belief on nairaland that Yorubas don't invest in the east. A few do. For those that don't know, the World Bank area is a fast developing area in Owerri.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by macof(m): 8:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
^^^ I am corrected grin
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by tawa89(f): 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
Bigfrancis don't you know that Nairaland is full of people who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. I don't even have the energy to pen a well articulated rebuttal. Op get your facts right there no Osus in igboland, maybe 200yrs ago but not today. Believing that Osu is still in existence is like believing that Yoruba Kings still feast on human heart during their coronation .
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by macof(m): 1:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
tawa89: Bigfrancis don't you know that Nairaland is full of people who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. I don't even have the energy to pen a well articulated rebuttal. Op get your facts right there no Osus in igboland, maybe 200yrs ago but not today. Believing that Osu is still in existence is like believing that Yoruba Kings still feast on human heart during their coronation .

Never happened. Could u post a link on this?

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by macof(m): 1:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
tawa89: Bigfrancis don't you know that Nairaland is full of people who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. I don't even have the energy to pen a well articulated rebuttal. Op get your facts right there no Osus in igboland, maybe 200yrs ago but not today. Believing that Osu is still in existence is like believing that Yoruba Kings still feast on human heart during their coronation .
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Never happened. Could u post a link on this?

Samuel Johnson's "History of the Yorubas". Footnote on page 43:

Tradition says that in the early times while the King -elect
is in the Otun'efa's house among other dishes brought to
him to partake of is one prepared from the heart of the late King
which has been extracted and preserved
. After partaking of
this he is told he has " eaten the King." Hence the origin of the
word Je Oba, to become a King (ht. to eat a King).

But no one is suggesting it still happens today.
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by macof(m): 7:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
Radoillo:

Samuel Johnson's "History of the Yorubas". Footnote on page 43:

But no one is suggesting it still happens today.

Samuel Johnson's books are an unreliable source of Yoruba history. That man was deluded
Re: Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
OK. I thought the only problem modern historians had with him was that his account was too Oyo-centric.

Anyway, I think there were other people who were equally deluded....

From a Yoruba website http://www.oyotunji.org/wisdom-from-the-crown.html

As tradition has it, a King only becomes a King after eating another King; referred to as joba where one eats the heart of the King of which they are succeeding, prior to the candidate being permitted to rule. Yes, this custom does indeed continue for worthy and qualified candidates in Yorubaland, North America and the Diasporas.

This site (quoted above) suggests the practice still continues; I’m skeptical about that though.

E. G. Parrinder’s “Divine Kingship in West Africa”. The article could be read here. You would need to register though, if you are not with an institution that has access: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3269328?uid=3739256&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21102946060993

“It is in eating the heart and thus entering into direct contact with his predecessor that he actually becomes king. The Yoruba word "to become a king" (je oba).”

From Sir James George Frazer’s well known anthropological work (published in 1922) “The Golden Bough”.

“When the Alake or king of Abeokuta in West Africa dies, the principal men decapitate his body, and placing the head in a large earthen vessel deliver it to the new sovereign; it becomes his fetish and he is bound to pay it honours. Sometimes, in order apparently that the new sovereign may inherit more surely the magical and other virtues of the royal line, he is required to eat a piece of his dead predecessor. Thus at Abeokuta not only was the head of the late king presented to his successor, but the tongue was cut out and given him to eat. Hence, when the natives wish to signify that the sovereign reigns, they say, “He has eaten the king.” A custom of the same sort is still practised at Ibadan, a large town in the interior of Lagos, West Africa. When the king dies his head is cut off and sent to his nominal suzerain, the Alafin of Oyo, the paramount king of Yoruba land; but his heart is eaten by his successor. This ceremony was performed not very many years ago at the accession of a new king of Ibadan.”

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes / Calabar Vs Yoruba Women Who Is More Beautiful? / All You Need To Know About Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.