Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

"Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN (59937 Views)

Nigeria Banks Are Now Black Market For Dollars Abroad? / Multiple Taxation Cause Businesses To Fail - FIRS / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by alotofgrace(m): 5:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by ddeola: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Story-story...even the big banks of America crumbled. Is it not the same banks we know in this nation with corrupt leaders.

Imagine a bank granting loan to buy bullet-proof cars when real investors and entrepreneurs are being dribbled everyday. Insult upon injury

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
penny01502: poor brain, what brings titanic into this thread?

No dear, you are the one with the poor brain.

I guess the only thing you know about titanic is the movie,he is talking the ship,dummy.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
goldenspoon: nawa oo wetin concern me jore..
……………… my guy help me ask d stupid poster
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by vislabraye(m): 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2013
And their marketers are busy doing all sort of things to get customers.
First Bank will always remain strong.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Ammanda(f): 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
pelhurmy: plz,wea is WEMA bank
is wema bank name of a brief case?

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by ballabriggs: 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Headline is misleading.

What the man has said here is not that there is high or low likelihood of these banks failing but about the consequences and impact of failure of these banks as they hold a significant percentage of aggregate savings in the system.

With high consequences of failure brings the need to monitor these banks effectively. Basic in risk management.

Mr reporter reported something different.

2 Likes

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Iceman296: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
And why Must Ecobank be there? Is it Because Of their International Affiliations? That Bank is Useless. I mean Useless. I'd Rather Bank with FCMB, Atleast i know they Won't Charge Outrageous Levies Incessantly!

Nonsense
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Miner13: 5:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Owkay o
i don hear
so 4 security reasons or mayb unxpeted liquidatn i am xpeted 2 do my banking wit any of d giant 8.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2013
Elliotwiz1: Are they indirectly telling Nigerians to deal with these banks alone?
no dey r sayin deal with the one that can pack up with ur money... otondo!!!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
then again, it doesnt matter, they will be bailed out if they fail and the consequennces (high inflation, Naira weakness, high sovereign debts) dumped on Nigerians. The complex financial products and assets and contagions amongst the banks that give rise to the TBTF do not exist in the banks balance sheets. So clueless CBN is wrong again!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Iceman296: And why Must Ecobank be there? Is it Because Of their International Affiliations? That Bank is Useless. I mean Useless. I'd Rather Bank with FCMB, Atleast i know they Won't Charge Outrageous Levies Incessantly!

Nonsense

True talk broda! When I click on the balance enquiry at the ATM sometimes I just want to cry cry
I must port.

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by iterator25: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chillisauce:

They control most international transfer.
Ask around.
do you know the value of zenith and GTB let alone others?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by PeeDaVinci: 6:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
ballabriggs: Headline is misleading.

What the man has said here is not that there is high or low likelihood of these banks failing but about the consequences and impact of failure of these banks as they hold a significant percentage of aggregate savings in the system.

With high consequences of failure brings the need to monitor these banks effectively. Basic in risk management.

Mr reporter reported something different.

I wonder if nairalanders really read and understand the original post before commenting
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Onuokwu: 6:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
boneruns: This is a very bad report coming from a supposed regulator and promoter of our economy and financial system. What then is the job of CBN if they can't make all our banks healthy? What happened to AMCON bail-out funds, injected into the failed banks? The report seem to be a politically motivated.

On what metrics would Skye Bank, that relies so much on LASG funds and deals be classified as "too big to fail"? What then happens when there's a change in Govt., or the deals from LASG stops coming?

Where is Union Bank today, one of the pioneers in banking? So many bigger banks have failed before!

This report was probably done by an armchair CBN analyst! What a crap!

E be like say you dey work for Fidelity bank....or Stanbic?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by eluquenson(m): 6:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
Absolutely true, for this period their failure can lead to a recession, but here on NL people seems not to understand the impact of their survival in the financial economy, they are simply the major bankers. Too big to fail & if failed, the economy will be recessed.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by chiefololade: 6:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Anything can happen, remember USSR
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by obinoral(m): 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
I saw, i read, i comment and i move on.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by agidachris: 6:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
Formal ASUU boss Festus Iyayi died on auto crash,,12 of nuvember...on tuesday
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by WellLady20(f): 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gosh, I hate Access Bank.. Bloody Thieves!!!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by wescoBaba: 6:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Good evening everybody,pls I need your help on how to get to calabar,have not being to that state before and am planing to go there,even stay there to watch super Eagle game against Ethiopia on Saturday,am currenty in ondo state,how much is T-fee from lagos,akure,benin to calabar? which transport company is good for the state and how many hour jounery.
Also how mush is accommodation there for an average nigerian like student and pls recommend names of hotel.thanks alot
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
paranorman: First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank), Zenith Bank Plc, United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), Access Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, Ecobank Nigeria and Diamond Bank Plc have been designated by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as “too big to fail”, owing to the fact that their failure could pose a systemic risk to the banking industry and the larger economy.

The eight banks alone account for 75 per cent of the banking sector in terms of earnings, profitability assets, customer deposits and branch networks.

[Thisday]
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Eyop: 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
This one they included access bank which to me is another useless bank that charges my savings account with Birthday wishes,merry xmas,happy new year,happy easter,public holidays,advertorials etc like as if i send them message. If not for the mess intercontinental bank got themselves involved in which resulted to merging with access bank,nothing would have taken me to them.

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by victorv12(m): 7:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
If your bank is not listed among the banks CBN mentioned, the earlier you transfer your money to another bank the better. Anybody that's familiar with the Nigeria banking system, whenever our bankers are trying to do some funny things, they always send out some signals.

It's now left for the entire public to decide their gameplay. Abeg everybody, try stay vigilant for ur money matter o! Nigeria bankers are not different from our politicians. They're even more dangerous than our politicians, because we trust them. Shine ur eyes!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by wogorparadise: 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
magarito: Wit UBA i think my money should be save.
safe...... Olodo
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by bebechuks: 7:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
What of mainstrt bank?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
shikaan: no dey r sayin deal with the one that can pack up with ur money... otondo!!!
if they mean that, then you do know it has a negative effect on banks not on that list?they trying to tell all the customers of the rest to port!! Which is not proper...btw must you include an insult in your post?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akraym(m): 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
wescoBaba: Good evening everybody,pls I need your help on how to get to "calabar",have not being to that state before and am planing to go there,even stay there to watch super Eagle game against Ethiopia on Saturday,am currenty in "ondo" state,how much is T-fee from "lagos,akure,benin" to "calabar"? which transport company is good for the state and how many hour jounery.
Also how "mush" is accommodation there for an average "nigerian" like student and pls recommend names of hotel.thanks alot
Its "much"....olodo
Next capitalize the quoted, okay
Thank me later not now
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Akuneshiobike(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
First City Monument Bank (FCMB) remains my favourite Bank till Christ come. I am highly satisfied with their quality of products and services. CBN are talking trash!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
penny01502: poor brain, what brings titanic into this thread?

undecided your brain seems empty
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by rhames(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
That doe not mean they are too big to fail.Remember Union Bank wass also too big to fail when crisis knocked open its doors? First Bank was in a similar state too after the IIIL Nitel saga which claimed its MD Bernard Longe in 2001. None of these banks is too big to fail. cheesy
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Stevosty: 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
If you are not banking with UBA and/or GTB, you are wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FCMB Replies Customer Who Requested For Loan To Buy Sex Doll / Shyngle: Herbert Wigwe’s Father Slumps, Rushed To Hospital / I Got Credit Alert From A Loan App I Did Not Apply For (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.