Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,984 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? (7397 Views)

Ogun Pastor Turns Bottled-Water To Wine Inside Church (Video) / 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway / The Bible Forbids Tattoos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by chukxy44(m): 6:54pm On Jul 15, 2008
Since the bible teaches about moderation, can a christain also moderate his/her drinking level or is the bible totally against alcohol drinks ??
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 15, 2008
lets not stir up controversy, but doesnt smwhere in ur bibl say 'wine is a brawler' ?
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by madamkoko: 1:32am On Jul 16, 2008
Well, I'm not sure if the bible forbids such but I do remember the bible saying that strong wine and alcoholic beverages are not suitable for "Kings" I imagine in this day and age that "King"means leader/or someone who leads.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by smile4kenn(m): 7:54am On Jul 16, 2008
The bible doesnt condemn it, Bible says dont let it master you, but you should be its master

just drink as much as u want but dont get drunk

Lets get High!!!
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 11:19am On Jul 16, 2008
Deuteronomy 14 :26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink.
1 Timothy 5:23:

23 Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

I beleive the above two passages answer the question, even though some people would still want to state their contrary hallucinations. There are also several other passages that says christian can drink alcohol, i won't even bother to be labour the fact that Jesus turned water into wine or served his disciples wine at the last supper.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by 702: 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2008
trojan.exe
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by kadijen: 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2008
i tot d wine used for holy communion is also alcoholic? undecided
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
@702
Very well written, i never even knew our lord Jesus Christ ws critisized for taking alcohol just like some hypocrites critisize those of us that indulge in alcohol today. I would post the passage you referenced for all to see even though i know it won't stop our over zealous hypocrites from giving their opinions as scripture
Luke 7:34:
34The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, Behold, a Man Who is a glutton and a wine drinker, a friend of tax collectors and notorious sinners.

The above statement was made by Jesus Christ himself concerning himself.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by IloveGod1: 4:11am On Jul 18, 2008
The bible tells us that we should not allow alcohol to control us.
A lot of Christians do not believe in drinking, like me.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2008
I love God:

The bible tells us that we should not allow alcohol to control us.
A lot of Christians do not believe in drinking, like me.
Well Jesus Christ himself the Founder of our faith used to drink so anybody that says he doesn't drink becos he is a christian is just deceiving himself or is being deceived. I am not saying you must drink though, but one thing is clear christians are allowed to drink in moderation.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Cayon(f): 8:18pm On Jul 20, 2008
Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost and we are told that if we destroy the temple (the body) that God will destroy us lipsrsealed go figure
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 12:19pm On Jul 21, 2008
Cayon:

Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost and we are told that if we destroy the temple (the body) that God will destroy us lipsrsealed go figure
So how does taking of alcohol/ wine relate to destroying the temple of God
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by ow11(m): 1:13pm On Jul 21, 2008
KunleOshob:

So how does taking of alcohol/ wine relate to destroying the temple of God

Good question.

They just quote meaningless sentences to score cheap points by using what a man told them without carefully dissecting what it means. I just wonder how drinking alcohol destroys the body. Scientists have carried out tests and someone can still claim not to know the difference between drinking 2 units of alcohol a week and an alcohol addict.

People like Cayon have failed to see that things they eat and drink like paracetamol, cough syrup and Mr Biggs snacks can also destroy the Temple if taken in excess just like alcohol but since they have failed to use reason in making accusations, they blab out ignorance at the slightest opportunity just beacuse a pastor cannot tell the difference between what is culturally wrong ( what the general Nigerian society condemns) and Biblically wrong ( what the bible condemns)
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Gamine(f): 1:20pm On Jul 21, 2008
God gave free will.

and the ability to make a choice.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by ifyalways(f): 7:22pm On Jul 21, 2008
If you must take,know your limits and dont get drunk.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Phemmmy(m): 8:24pm On Jul 21, 2008
Hmmm!This is a verry controversial issue.It's been argued over years.Even,strong men of God preached against it but the same remains the case.People don't want to hear the truth.The worst part is that people read the bible and give it their own interpretation.Don't you know that the devil is indirectly ministering to you?You are so adamant that your decision is impenetratable.The fact is that THE ALCOHOL IS NOT SWEET.So,how do you people manage to enjoy it.Just for the sake of feeling among!Too bad.Repent
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 22, 2008
@phemmmy
The topic is "does the bible forbid taking of alcoholic drinks or strong wine?" so if you can't point out to us were the bible forbids it, i suggest you keep your opinion to yourself. There is nothing controversial about the topic, it is only hypocrites that want to present their words and opinions as God's word that are causing this whole wahala. Even Jesus Christ used to drink wine and was accused of being a drunk. Luke 7 :33-34 That is not to say he ever got drunk, but the emphasis is that hypocrites have been around since the time of Jesus condenmimng the drinking of wine.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Phemmmy(m): 12:15pm On Jul 22, 2008
Actually am confused!
Since it cannot be proved that do not drink can be find in the bible!
That means you can never be convinced on that platform.So,my advice is that be yourself.But we can't ignore or overlook to words of powerful men of God.You no!
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by ow11(m): 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2008
Phemmmy:

So,my advice is that be yourself.But we can't ignore or overlook to words of powerful men of God.You no!

we CAN ignore and overlook words of 'powerful men of God' for the simple reason that they are MEN and their interpretation is subject to their own bias because they were neither authors of the bible nor can we effectively prove that God specifically told them to tell us anything.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 12:40pm On Jul 22, 2008
@phemmmy
So how do you determine who is a powerful man of God? Some people would tell you Rev King is a powerful man of God others would say he is a demon. The problem is that human beings focus too much on "Men of God" than the Word of God, in effect a lot of people are left confused becos these Men of God ar just men like you and i and they are presenting their opinions to you has the word of God. i once challenged a pastor who told me that drinking is a sin to show me it is written in the bible and the flimsy answer he gave me is that when you become a christian the holy spirit would minister it to you. How hypocritical?? when Jesus christ himself used to consume wine.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Phemmmy(m): 3:25pm On Jul 22, 2008
I'm afraid.I read it in a weekly publication of the mountain of fire and miracles ministries."FIRE IN THE WORD" that drinking is bad.Do you want to tell me that Dr. D.K Olukoya doesn't no what is saying?Rem,those are the kind of powerful men of God am talking about.Up to you.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by KunleOshob(m): 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2008
Well that is Dr Olukoya's opinion, as is evident, Jesus christ whom i serve and believe in used to drink wine while he was here with us on earth. So who is Dr Olukoya to condem drinking. What the bible says is bad is excessive drinking, my submission is that Dr Olukoya is quoting the word of God outside it's context.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by fatstan1: 5:04pm On Jul 22, 2008
not much of a drinker myself and someone a very good critic at that esp when it comes to matters of the church and Bible.
over time i have come tot bout the issues and here is my conclusion
the Bible is a Lil controversial about the matter of alcohol at one point its condemning it
then another its approving of it so i pull me self from the bible and view it from two angle
1. obedience
2. moral

1. Obedience
my dad has never asked me not to drink though has asked me if i v ever seen him drinking
so i say to u ll whose dad has said to u do not drink thats drinking is a SIN.not the drink in itself
but the act cause by drinking you have disobeyed Ur dad or guardian.and we all agree disobedience
is a SIN

2. Moral
simple Wat's the societies idea if u re were its accepted its okay drink on and if its illegal or looked down upon
then friends what are we saying, kiss your beer goodbye

and try not to bad month men of God they view the word from an angle we dont really like to c from.
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Roughlen(m): 10:33am On Jul 25, 2008
There is nothing wrong with drinking wine or alcoholic beverages as long as you don't get drunk.
Please, read Matthew 15:11 and 17-19 with me: 11 It is not what goes into a person's mouth that makes him ritually unclean; rather, what comes out of it makes him unclean. 17 Don't you understand? Anything that goes into a person's mouth goes into his stomach and then on out of his body. 18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these are the things that make a person ritually unclean. 19 For from his heart come the evil ideas which lead him to kill, commit adultery, and do other imoral things: to rob, lie, and slander others.
Somebody reasoned that alcohol is bitter so why take it? Forgetting that there are sweet wines and alcoholic drinks.
My conclusion, don't let anybody make you feel guilty for taking alcohol. But please, do it in moderation. Just remember the rule "too much of everything is bad" cool
Re: Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? by Ebonyj(f): 3:12pm On Jul 25, 2008
There is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol if it is done in moderation.It is when you now drink yourself to a stupor that you dont know your left from your right, this is where there is a problem.

Anyway in saying that , we should all remember that too much of anything is not good, be it alcolhol, food etc.

(1) (Reply)

How Allah Misled Satan (iblis) According To This Surah! / 9 Signs Of Cult Church And How To Recognize It / Atheism Is A False Belief, Evil And Dogmatic . Why Is It Being Propagated ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.