Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38254 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by obowunmi(m): 10:17am On Nov 13, 2013
Let Nigeria privatize airports.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ilaje44(m): 10:21am On Nov 13, 2013
Joshthefirst: neo-colonialism?
Are you racist to your own people?

No, he/she ist not racist to his own people. Overwhelming numbers of Nigerians actually behave as portraited, even the educated ones. If you go through Nairaland threads, especially the political section, you will see them ampfully. Nigerian case is not just about bad leadership, the followership is equally yoked in barbaric behaviour.

7 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by opylas(m): 10:22am On Nov 13, 2013
Joshthefirst: neo-colonialism?
Are you racist to your own people?
I wonder o
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ilaje44(m): 10:24am On Nov 13, 2013
obowunmi: Let Nigeria privatize airports.

I think Nigeria should either privatise everything or reform it political sytem entirely. The current setup does not promote diligence, honesty, sincerity to duty etc.

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pink1: 10:25am On Nov 13, 2013
On a side note, I don't know why folks keep complaining about paying to use the trolley. All the airports I've used/passed through, I've always paid. How in the world would the trollies be maintained if there's no charge attached to it.
Let's be reasonable in our complaints pls.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by oluwacjay: 10:25am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija: There has been a deliberate attempt to run down Lagos ,and in extension,the entire SW.
If it were possible to cart away the Atlantic Ocean to Abuja ,they would have done so already.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE OTHER STATES APART FROM THE (NIGER DELTA )KEEP TAKING AND NOT GIVING ANYTHING BACK.
They have tried all they could to cart away the corporate sector ,including banking ,telecommunications etc.
But guess what,the people who make things happen and make it rain(the Yorubas ,foriegn investors )are not interested.
If they decide to move a fraction of their investment to iwo today,it automatically becomes the "It" place.
In fact, Ibadan stands a better chance of rivalling Lagos than any other place and that shows in the number of foreigners who already live and work there.

U must be dreamin 2 tink yorubas ar d richest or contribute significantly 2 d economy of d country. If not 4 d ibos, lagos wld be dead. Do u knw ow much IGR is contributed by SE in lagos? Lagos has nuttin, yet its a force 2 be reckoned wit. Let all d ibos pull deir investments 4rm lagos, den u'll see meltdown in its economy.... Or all d invstmnts in dft part of d country.... I rememba readin an article dat disclosed ibo assests lost 2 crisi in d north 2 be in Trillions of naira & ow 9ja can't survive witout dem yet we no get oil.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by opylas(m): 10:29am On Nov 13, 2013
oluwacjay:

U must be dreamin 2 tink yorubas ar d richest or contribute significantly 2 d economy of d country. If not 4 d ibos, lagos wld be dead. Do u knw ow much IGR is contributed by SE in lagos? Lagos has nuttin, yet its a force 2 be reckoned wit. Let all d ibos pull deir investments 4rm lagos, den u'll see meltdown in its economy.... Or all d invstmnts in dft part of d country.... I rememba readin an article dat disclosed ibo assests lost 2 crisi in d north 2 be in Trillions of naira & ow 9ja can't survive witout dem yet we no get oil.
Abeggiii, whch investment?? Spare parts?? Itz d truth bt "dead" is an overstatement

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 10:31am On Nov 13, 2013
We really need fashola to become president, in two years nigeria will become at least like Ghana.

I just wish that fashola man will contest for presidency, people go too vote for am.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 740megawatts: 10:33am On Nov 13, 2013
Pink!:
On a side note, I don't know why folks keep complaining about paying to use the trolley. All the airports I've used/passed through, I've always paid. How in the world would the trollies be maintained if there's no charge attached to it.

Can you please list these airports for us? I am very much interested to know international airports that charge trolley rentage fees....thanks in anticipation

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by obailala(m): 10:34am On Nov 13, 2013
Where then do we start? We can start by doing away with the touts inside the lobby. We can start by ensuring the air-conditioning systems work. We can look to make sure passengers are well-treated on arrival and departure. We always look at problems and immediately assume throwing money at them will solve them. [size=13pt]I have since realised half the problems with Nigeria have nothing to do with money[/size]. Even with all the money in the world, our airports and our country will not work as long as we do not have people who care about excellence. Caring about excellence means knowing that Nigerians deserve the best all the time. When we reserve the rights citizens of other countries take for granted, upgrade such to privileges for our citizens, we will always miss the point of making things work. Nigerians deserve more but as long as we have people – including the President – dancing on national TV because a road contract has been awarded, we’d always have a situation where mediocrity will remain the norm. Would anyone say the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is the mess it is because of money? Nay. It is what it is because we are who we are. We have become a people accustomed to seeing nothing work.

The bolded statement is soo true but a lot of Nigerians are so myopic to see this.

MMIA is the only airport where I have to arrive up to 4 hours ahead of time or risk missing my flight. An airport where passengers for different flights are bundled into the same check-in queue and it always ends in chaos EVERYDAY... sometimes I wonder if the airport management are kindergarten pupils because a little bit of common sense will solve this issue and not money.

The airport car park is another hell... it could take several hours just to drive out of the car park at night not ONLY because the roads within the premises are horrible but because the airport security bluntly refuses to control the traffic (I was told airport security somehow makes some money from the traffic gridlock, still can't figure out how they do that)...

Nigeria is a shame and it's obvious most of these problems require just a little bit of common sense and not money.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 740megawatts: 10:34am On Nov 13, 2013
oluwacjay:

Enough of these fictional postulations. We are discussing MMIA here....thanks

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by howfarwhatagwan: 10:35am On Nov 13, 2013
I love Nigerians all we do is rant and criticize but when it is time to rise up and act no way everybody becomes sentimental saying silly things like '' conspiracy against the east, north, west, Niger delta, Ibos, Yorubas, Hausas etc it is on this same forum that we read all these sentimental comments so why the complaints about the state of infrastructure in the nation? As long as you continue to support corrupt people simply because they are from your tribe, region or religion this is exactly what you will continue to get so live with it or rise up simple.

Even the Israelites had to unite to fight the tribe of Benjamin when great evil was done to the Levite's wife and after they worked together to restore and rebuild the tribe of Benjamin.

Dear Nigerians please stop the whining and complaints and do what you have to do. The power is in your hands and no one else.

6 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by IYANGBALI: 10:36am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija: There has been a deliberate attempt to run down Lagos ,and in extension,the entire SW.
If it were possible to cart away the Atlantic Ocean to Abuja ,they would have done so already.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE OTHER STATES APART FROM THE (NIGER DELTA )KEEP TAKING AND NOT GIVING ANYTHING BACK.
They have tried all they could to cart away the corporate sector ,including banking ,telecommunications etc.
But guess what,the people who make things happen and make it rain(the Yorubas ,foriegn investors )are not interested.
If they decide to move a fraction of their investment to iwo today,it automatically becomes the "It" place.
In fact, Ibadan stands a better chance of rivalling Lagos than any other place and that shows in the number of foreigners who already live and work there.
they can only try,but they cannot succeed,we are miles ahead of them all.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by anonimi: 10:37am On Nov 13, 2013
haibe: We really need fashola to become president, in two years nigeria will become at least like Ghana.

I just wish that fashola man will contest for presidency, people go too vote for am.

Na joke be this abi na wetin?
Person wey nor fit govern the WHOLE Lagos STATE na im you wan promote to president

If your aspiration/expection level is so low for PUBLIC SERVANTS do not believe that others are like you.
SMH!!!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by IYANGBALI: 10:38am On Nov 13, 2013
oluwacjay:

Lagos has nothing,yet it is the dream of an average igbo boy/man in the village to see Lagos before he dies,keep deceiving yourself that Lagos has nothing. Oponu ayilara tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ilaje44(m): 10:40am On Nov 13, 2013
haibe: We really need fashola to become president, in two years nigeria will become at least like Ghana.

In an ideal society he could become the president, but I'm afraid not in Nigeria. Even though he has his flaws, I really wont mind him or anyone like him becoming the president. However, him becoming the president alone wont get things solved, because Nigeria is a terribly difficult country to administer. There must be a total overhaul of the system. Duties and obligations must be completely spelt out and due sanctions meted out to anyone found not doing his duties.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 13, 2013
I said it, yorubas are incompetent.
So, common air conditioning system the management no fit do.
Na to extort money put for pocket Dem know.
This is not the situation in Enugu airport o.
@ op, u can't eat your cake and have it. yorubas should mend their ways.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by opylas(m): 10:45am On Nov 13, 2013
ngozievergreen: I said it, yorubas are incompetent.
Ur comment got me laffing. U must b still very young.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 10:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Ilaje44:

In an ideal society he could become the president, but I'm afraid not in Nigeria. Even though he has his flaws, I really wont mind him or anyone like him becoming the president. However, him becoming the president alone wont get things solved, because Nigeria is a terribly difficult country to administer. There must be a total overhaul of the system. Duties and obligations must be completely spelt out and due sanctions meted out to anyone found not doing his duties.

That's exactly one thing fashola does, he doesn't take rubbish, ask those public workers in lagos.

why do you think lagos has improved in fashola's tenure? one reason is because of the disciplinary action he carries out for defaulters, if our leaders in the federal level can be like this, then nigeria will become a better place and will improve just like lagos has.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pangea: 10:47am On Nov 13, 2013
Pink!:

See liar! shocked
Which airport does that? angry
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by duni04(m): 10:48am On Nov 13, 2013
ngozievergreen: I said it, yorubas are incompetent.
So going by ur line of thinking, the Igbo minister in charge of the Airport deliberately fixed the Airport in her home state and is also deliberately neglecting MMIA cos its in a yoruba state?

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 10:48am On Nov 13, 2013
anonimi:

Na joke be this abi na wetin?
Person wey nor fit govern the WHOLE Lagos STATE na im you wan promote to president

If your aspiration/expection level is so low for PUBLIC SERVANTS do not believe that others are like you.
SMH!!!

you sound like you know little, so I won't say anything else

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Unblockable: 10:49am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by iamdsam: 10:49am On Nov 13, 2013
It's not only in the aviation sector. But almost all other sectors in the country all do have half wrecked structures. We need a drastic change in this country or things might go for the worse.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 13, 2013
opylas:
Ur comment got me laffing. U must b still very young.

Yep, she just left secondary school.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by fpeter(f): 10:51am On Nov 13, 2013
Honestly, this piece is heart wrenching...i traveled through Adis Ababa
to Dubai in September,Gosh! their airport reminded me of the shame
called Nigeria...this is a wake up call to our Govt and FAAN..which one
do we even tackle? Is it luggage thefts or thieving security people or the
trolley hijackers or ACs that never work or the smelly toilets??
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bintalabi(f): 10:52am On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros what percentage of the national income does the sw even contribute? If to say na una get oyel pesin for no hear word again!!

Don't even try to mention that word 'ibadan' again as that place is a glorified village!! Too much foreigners indeed I wonder where we would place port-harcourt

"Ibadan glorified village" o p o n u is what u are

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by khamas19: 10:52am On Nov 13, 2013
duni04:
So going by ur line of thinking, the Igbo minister in charge of the Airport deliberately fixed the Airport in her home state and is also deliberately neglecting MMIA cos its in a yoruba state?

..bros u will do well to ignore that cretin her catalogue of untreated STDs have finally gotten to her brain....

grin

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by MrAboki: 10:57am On Nov 13, 2013
Shey Stella Oduah is trying to fix the Airports and you people want to kill her because of BMW.. grin

Anyways.. I feel the writer of the article and where he is coming from..

First of all..

>>>

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 13, 2013
IYA NGBALI: Lagos has nothing,yet it is the dream of an average igbo boy/man in the village to see Lagos before he dies,keep deceiving yourself that Lagos has nothing. Oponu ayilara tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

It is the dream of all yorubas to see Lagos too.
most yorubas I see in the east claim they are from Lagos, - Lekki, ikoyi are their hometowns.
Ogun, osun, ekiti no dey gree them talk.
smh.
Of course, an Igbo man or any biz man will want to do biz in a place where importation will be easy and population high.
But have u ever asked them of their hometown and they mention Lagos?

6 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by victorazy(m): 11:02am On Nov 13, 2013
mumumugu: When it was good, no praise
now its bad, all complaint
Don't mind the foolish guyz ranting.
MMA is one of the best airports in the whole world. Ask the man if he has AC in his house.
Shey na Stella be wan put the place in oda but bad belle ppl no want.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 13, 2013
Two-pronged problems Nigeria as a country has: Culture and Leadership.

To avoid banging on about the problems too much, let talk about 'how do we solve these two problems?
I am open to discussions on strategic solutions to these two problems. Let's discuss this, just in case any of us happens to be in a position of to change things.

Time to prepare for cultural change and leadership is now!

Please stay away if you have nothing constructive to contribute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / Pilot Lieutenant Ebitimi Owei Buried(pictures) / Seven Important Points To Know Before Travelling To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.