Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (58017 Views)

What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? / What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? / Export/import Used Car Engines To West Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by adanny01(m): 6:05pm On Apr 09, 2017
folarinmiles:
Post since 2008!!!!!
Jesus is Lord

Wanted to reply some post but when i saw 2008, i said jeez. How can someone remember saying such things.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by kashflynn(m): 7:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
And the over sabi has come,

Kashif:
@jp, you seem to be confusing some terms.

the V6 delivers 27mpg (miles per gallon), and the 4 cylinder delivers 30mpg which means that the 4 cyl will take you longer distance than the V6 with the same quantity of fuel. You were interpreting it as if those were consumptions. There is no way 194hp would consume less than a 136hp (excluding load factors).

I am not an auto expert but I am sure of the above.  grin wink
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
I will like to know, what is the difference between an engine that uses diesel and that which uses petrol
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by HBola(m): 11:23pm On Apr 09, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Don't go off of number of spark plugs.

Some 4 cylinders had 8 spark plugs.

I was about to come in and make corrections but you already did. Some people don't realize that plug count does not determine the number of cylinders an engine has. A lot of newer vehicles have two spark plugs per cylinders for efficient combustion of the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by HBola(m): 11:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Nacoss25:
I will like to know, what is the difference between an engine that uses diesel and that which uses petrol

Petrol engines use spark plugs to light the air-fuel mixture for combustion to occur while diesel engines relies on the heat generated by the high compression pressure of air-fuel mixture to ignite it and get it burning in the combustion chamber.

The petrol engines are good for high revs whereas the diesels metals don't like this. The high revs of pet engines generates higher frequency which is easy to dampen and balance hence they run smoother than diesel engines which prefers idles at lower RPMs. The diesel engines have more torque compared to similar displacement pet engines.

Diesel engines are used in trucks because they have the required torque to move heavy loads with less fuel consumption while a petrol engine that will be required to carry same loads will be a fuel drinking monster, hence it's not viable. Because of this high load capacity due to it's high torque output, diesel is used in heavy machineries and also ships.

I'll edit this when I think of more. Got presentation to prepare for right now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
HBola:

I was about to come in and make corrections but you already did. Some people don't realize that plug count does not determine the number of cylinders an engine has. A lot of newer vehicles have two spark plugs per cylinders for efficient combustion of the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.

Very true.

It might be a US thing but we had similar on the 1980s Nissan pickup.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by mytym(m): 8:52am On Apr 10, 2017
Midas02:
"V6" is an acronym for an engine with six (6) cylinders configured in a V-shaped vertical arrangement over the Main crankshaft (with 3 cylinders in each bank of the engine block). All internal combustion engines are configured with certain number of cylinders, it could be 1,2,4,6,8,10 or even 12 cylinders. All of these configurations are normal and actively used in engines all over the world!. Four (4) Cylinder engines (which I am sure you are referring to as normal) are however most commonly used in cars in many parts of the world (including Nigeria) because of its balance of decent  power, economy, smoothness and reliability. It must be noted that it is possible to have a six (6) cylinder configuration without neccesarily using a "V" arrangement - as a matter of fact, until the last decade the most common arrangement of 6 cylinder engines was the Straight-Six and not the V-6. Examples of cars that used straight-six engines in the last decade include; MB 260/300E V-boot (W124 series), Nissan Laurel, BMW 325/525 (up till date), Volvo 960, Toyota Cressida and Crown (up till 1992) and most trucks including Canter, Dyna, Coaster bus , etc. Whether an engine configuration is arranged as a V-6 or a straight-six has both merits and demerits, however, I will refrain from pushing too deep into such territories here as I do not want to digress!. In automobiles today, the most commonly used configurations are 4-Cylinders, 6-Cylinders and 8-Cylinders, with a popularity in that order. The obvious advantage of having extra cylinders is to give more Power, smoother performance and durability. The disadvantage on the other hand, is that of increased gas consumption and a slightly higher cost of maintenance and purchase. I hope this helps.

Bravo
You just simplified Internal Combustion Engine
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Ricmayak1: 9:54am On Apr 10, 2017
adanny01:

I dont think you know enough of engines.

If i give you a V6 or a supercharged I4, which will you pick.

The supercharged I4 will give the V6 power and the I4 fuel efficiency.

V6 isnt more durable than I4 generally. The durability difference comes from the load factor. A V6 might be operating at say averagely 50% of its power while I4 may be say 70%. This means the I4 will be working more than the V6. On the other hand, say you put a 2.6L V6 in a 5000kg car and put a 2.0L I4 in a 1500kg car, the V6 will have more load and would perform worst than the I4. The same can be said of the durability. Assume you use both at the same load factor and service at each one's recommended period. I think the V6 should give up first especially since it features more dead weight on its crankshaft.

It is also the same when you compare bike engines with cars. If you think a V6 is always better and faster, would a V6 car be ever faster to an I4 power bike?

Its not about the engine, its all about the load.

The load determines alot of things like acceleration, fuel efficiency, durability etc.

Same way a 2008 Toyota Hilux and 2008 Toyota Prado both have the same engine 2.7L I4 but the Hilux is more fuel efficient. This is for 2 major reasons, weight of each car and drive train. The Prado is a Full time 4x4 while Hilux a part time 4x4. The Prado has constantly more friction and dead weight to overcome which increases the load on the engine each time both cars start off from 0km/h.
best analysis

2 Likes

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Nobody: 5:49am On Apr 11, 2017
mikkybrick:
My V6 does 120Km/h @ 2100rpm. Now tell me that isn't fantastic! no noise, no vibrations nothing! The engine hasn't even started working sef...i hate I4s!

As the saying goes, once you go V6 you never go back to I4s. I've got two V6s, and honestly speaking, if you're the lover of speed, there's no freaking way you're going to compare with I4s which will do criminally higher rpm at equivalent km/h. With V6 you go 140 km/h or more without sweating too much about the rpm.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Kashif(m): 6:06am On Apr 11, 2017
kashflynn:
And the over sabi has come,

This topic was discussed when you were in junior secondary. Check the date, see what you can learn from it. Maybe, you too can become an 'oversabi'

2 Likes

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Nobody: 7:11am On Apr 11, 2017
Here is a schematic of what V6 engine looks like according to Wikipedia:

"A V6 engine is a V engine with six cylinders mounted on the crankshaft in two banks of three cylinders, usually set at either a 60 or 90 degree angle to each other. The V6 is one of the most compact engine configurations, usually ranging from 2.0 L to 4.3 L displacement (however, much larger examples have been produced for use in trucks), shorter than the inline 4 and more compact than the V8 engine. Because of its short length, the V6 fits well in the widely used transverse engine front-wheel drive layout. It is becoming more common as the space allowed for engines in modern cars is reduced at the same time as power requirements increase, and has largely replaced the inline 6, which is nearly twice as long - too long to fit in many modern engine compartments - and the V8, which is larger, more expensive, and has poorer fuel economy. The V6 engine has become widely adopted for medium-sized cars, often as an optional engine where an inline 4 is standard, or as a standard engine where a V8 is a higher-cost performance option"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by brightnelly(f): 5:10pm On Jun 28, 2017
Hello guys

I need the experience of those that have used DODGE CARAVAN (2008 model) here.

How do you find mechanic?

How expensive are the parts?

How rugged is it?

Any other general info will be appreciated.

Considering getting one before the end of this month.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by good188(m): 5:46pm On Jun 28, 2017
please go for toyota corrolla ,you will take me later ,with your budget you can go for toyota corolla used 2004 but that you budget cant buy tokunbo ,i recently bought corolla 2006 i am enjoying it bro
Exceptionalstef:

please i want to buy toyota car for my family use. i need advice on the best product to go for and yr and ds s my first car.
thanks. my budget is 1m.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by adekzy: 11:48am On Jan 19, 2018
HBola:
Old thread and I'm late to the party, but I'll contribute nonetheless.
Midas02 left out the 3 cylinder found in some mini Cooper models and 5 cylinder engines in some older Audis. Yes they're available but rare.
There are also VR6 engines in some older VWs, the engine was largely developed by VW. In this type of engine, the engine block is straight like that of a straight 6 engine but the cylinders are offset from one another such that if you plot out a profile for the offset cylinders, it'll show a 15° angle instead of a 60° or 90° angle like the traditional v6 engine. This engine has a single cylinder head not two like a traditional v6 has. The advantage of this is that it's not as wide as the v6, it has the narrowness of the I4 engine while being only a little bit longer than it. This allows it to be mounted transversely in the engine bay for FWD cars so they can have a more powerful engine than the I4 engines without a lot of compromise in packaging. So basically same packaging space and proportions but bigger engine and more power. This engines are not without its own problems though. Over heating is a major problem as the combustion chambers are tightly packed and there's more cylinder in little space compared to v6 engines. Excessive fuel consumption is also another notable problems amongst others. Turbo 4 engines can now produce matching power to the VR6 so it's being dropped in favor of the turbo 4 pot.
Edit.
A lot of kazeem[/b]s don't know how to set the ]timing on v6 engines when replacing the timing belt or chain hence the engine gets damaged with out of whack timing by smashing the valves into the piston therefore ​bending the valve and cracking the Pistons plus other damages. They also can't properly rebuild such engines as the timing will be a challenge they can't resolve which was what caused the initial damage. You'll hear them tell you not to buy v6 engine car because they know they won't be able to handle that Challenge.
I've seen this happen to someone close.

Your submission is topnotch but why used Kazeem.

[b]My name is Kazeem and I am not a mechanic
!���
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by inas911(m): 10:38am On Apr 14, 2019
Jagermeister:
Is a V6 an abnormal car engine? Lol. Come-on, wise folks knows this, I4's are shit engines, my last two cars are 6-cylinders & my next will be a V6 too, except if God blesses me some more then I'll buy a V8 SUV... Nigerians obviously have a lot of stuff going on in their heads about V6 rackets,I feel sorry for them, ignorance is not bliss!

If you are doing more of high way travels, then the V6 engine is cool, but if you are doing more of driving within town like me then the I4s is better. Like me, I travel once or twice yearly so I don't need a V6
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by swaggerkid(m): 10:48am On Apr 14, 2019
Kashif:

I am not an auto expert but I am sure of the above.  grin wink
Now you are smiley
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by CocoaOla: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
inas911:

If you are doing more of high way travels, then the V6 engine is cool, but if you are doing more of driving within town like me then the I4s is better. Like me, I travel once or twice yearly so I don't need a V6
there are l4 engines that can compete with V6 now example Pontiac G6
3.5L V6 (201 HP @ 5600 rpm, 220 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm)
Acura TSX
2.4L I4 (200-hp @ 6800 rpm, 166 lbs-ft @ 4500 rpm)
So they both have the same horsepower, Of course there are other innovations that change these numbers such as variable-valve timing and exhaust, electronic-lift, double over head cams, number of valves, and so on
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Jagermeister(m): 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
inas911:

Hehe.. This man quoted me after many years..

I think u're missing the point; this highway/city driving you mentioned implies that u're talking about fuel economy.

There's more to "V6 ownership" than fuel economy.. There's power, acceleration, smoothness, quietness and all what not!

Personally, I don't fancy 4-cylinders no matter how many turbo chargers it has fitted-in or how much weight has been shaved off but then again, there's the "Nigerian mentality" factor with most people so...

Speaking of the Nigerian factor, bear in mind that bigger engines
(V6 and bigger) are more expensive to build and that implies that they are fitted in more expensive (and luxurious) cars so u'd pay more to own a V6 (abroad) but that's not to be here in Nigeria.. Matter of fact, V6 are standard with the full option trim (that's not to say there are no 4 bangers in full options) but IMO, no 4-cylinders is worthy of being in any real luxury car even if the leather used in the interior is taken right from the back of a Dinosaur!

1 Like

Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:32pm On Apr 14, 2019
CocoaOla:
there are l4 engines that can compete with V6 now example Pontiac G6
3.5L V6 (201 HP @ 5600 rpm, 220 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm)
Acura TSX
2.4L I4 (200-hp @ 6800 rpm, 166 lbs-ft @ 4500 rpm)
So they both have the same horsepower, Of course there are other innovations that change these numbers such as variable-valve timing and exhaust, electronic-lift, double over head cams, number of valves, and so on

Aye. I believe the Honda S2000 got 240 HP from a naturally aspirated 2.0L i4, which is just ridiculous. The 3.3L 3MZ V6 only gets 228 HP.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by thebigkendo(m): 9:28am On Apr 15, 2019
Jagermeister:

Hehe.. This man quoted me after many years..

I think u're missing the point; this highway/city driving you mentioned implies that u're talking about fuel economy.

There's more to "V6 ownership" than fuel economy.. There's power, acceleration, smoothness, quietness and all what not!

Personally, I don't fancy 4-cylinders no matter how many turbo chargers it has fitted-in or how much weight has been shaved off but then again, there's the "Nigerian mentality" factor with most people so...

Speaking of the Nigerian factor, bear in mind that bigger engines
(V6 and bigger) are more expensive to build and that implies that they are fitted in more expensive (and luxurious) cars so u'd pay more to own a V6 (abroad) but that's not to be here in Nigeria.. Matter of fact, V6 are standard with the full option trim (that's not to say there are no 4 bangers in full options) but IMO, no 4-cylinders is worthy of being in any real luxury car even if the leather used in the interior is taken right from the back of a Dinosaur!

This got me laughing grin grin grin
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by Jagermeister(m): 10:13am On Apr 15, 2019
thebigkendo:

This got me laughing grin grin grin

Made me laugh too after proofreading! grin
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by paix(m): 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2019
youngice:
Naturally a big engine fan, give me a super charged V6 in a coupe and I will be grateful for a while, give me a super-charged v8 and I will love you forever
Love me first and the car is yours for keeps.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by paix(m): 12:47pm On Apr 15, 2019
inze:

. . . what then happens if i give you a Mercedes M275 with a twin-turbocharged and intercooled, all-aluminum, 60° V12 engine?
He will move his bedroom to where the car is parked.
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by CocoaOla: 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Aye. I believe the Honda S2000 got 240 HP from a naturally aspirated 2.0L i4, which is just ridiculous. The 3.3L 3MZ V6 only gets 228 HP.
YOU right my brother when it comes to building tiny engine with high performances HONDA IS incomparable champion! some of their i4 engine can out perform the big boys out there
Re: What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:55pm On Apr 15, 2019
CocoaOla:
YOU right my brother when it comes to building tiny engine with high performances HONDA IS incomparable champion! some of their i4 engine can out perform the big boys out there

Yes. The S2000's engine still has one of best displacement to power ratios in the history of naturally aspirated engines. K-series engines can also match it with bolt-ons and a tune, I believe. Very impressive what Honda manages to do with its i4 engines.

Best engine manufacturer in the world, in my opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15 Vehicles Logos And Their Meaning(pics) / This Armoured Mercedes G-Class Will Navigate A War Zone Without Any Problem / $3M Dollars Bugatti Chiron Spotted Being Pushed On The Streets In Ghana (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.