Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,504 members, 7,770,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:19 AM

Starting A Plantain Farming. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Plantain Farming. (50063 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / The Goldmine In Plantain Farming – Regular Sources Of Income / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 2:31pm On Nov 13, 2013
Intend to start a platain plantation anywhere within the South West.
Need advice on the type of Land to invest in, the capital outlay, the species of the plantain that can do very well and other things to be taken into consideration.
Nairalanders, l count much on you to contribute from your wealth of experience.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 8:33pm On Nov 16, 2013
Emma Ajayi: Intend to start a platain plantation anywhere within the South West.
Need advice on the type of Land to invest in, the capital outlay, the species of the plantain that can do very well and other things to be taken into consideration.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 4:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
Emma Ajayi: Intend to start a platain plantation anywhere within the South West.

Hello Ajayi, I'm a plantain farmer and I won't lie to you the business is highly lucrative if you have someone that would put you through. Aside the fact that you cannot start a plantain farm at this period of the year,there are various factors you need to put into consideration.

Just try to update this thread when the new rainy season start approaching and i will give you one or two advise or better still search for a material on the net.

Warning; you may need a practical knowledge from a reliable farmer before you start. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by rammytt(m): 8:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
Thank God i saw this thread.i'm seriously interested in plantain farming,infact i ve rented an acre of land to start with.i wil start clearing d land in preparatin for the next planting season.i've being reading some blogs online and they are really helpful.what i need now is hw i wil get abt 1000 suckers n d best way to market d produce..location,Edo state/Etsako west.Any help on how to get suckers?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by bunmita: 8:06am On Nov 18, 2013
@ yemmit90
Intrested.Can you please drop your email box.Mine is bunmita@gmail,com.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:05am On Nov 18, 2013
Many thanks @ yemmit90 for the post.
Better still, in preparation for the raining season, what & what in your opinion do you advise to be put in place to kickstart the project? Meanwhile as you advised l will still search for more materials in the internet.
Nairalanders, pls more contributions are still welcome as a guide to myself and other intending plantain farmers.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Nairaanddollar: 11:07am On Nov 18, 2013
Off to Ogbomoso to start our new plantain plantation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Cnoteuchay: 11:17am On Nov 18, 2013
rammytt: Thank God i saw this thread.i'm seriously interested in plantain farming,infact i ve rented an acre of land to start with.i wil start clearing d land in preparatin for the next planting season.i've being reading some blogs online and they are really helpful.what i need now is hw i wil get abt 1000 suckers n d best way to market d produce..location,Edo state/Etsako west.Any help on how to get suckers?
am into plantain and banana plantation i can get u a high yield cameroun suckers @ an affordable rate inbox me lloydcnote@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Cnoteuchay: 11:27am On Nov 18, 2013
yemmit90:

Hello Ajayi, I'm a plantain farmer and I won't lie to you the business is highly lucrative if you have someone that would put you through. Aside the fact that you cannot start a plantain farm at this period of the year,there are various factors you need to put into consideration.

Just try to update this thread when the new rainy season start approaching and i will give you one or two advise or better still search for a material on the net.

Warning; you may need a practical knowledge from a reliable farmer before you start. Goodluck!

hi gud morning am a plantain farmer too, but later have been trying to find out if their is other commercial way plantain can be process to or comsumed apart from d normal chips and selling to d local market women. Pls reply if u have any idea and materials abt processing plantain into something apart from plantain chips
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 11:42am On Nov 18, 2013
@rammytt, getting a good variety of sucker is not a problem when it's right time to do the plantation. Note; an acre of land is small for 1000 suckers as you must space them to achieve a desire result.
also, make sure the materials you're reading on the internet are indigenous and not foreign, or get useful knowledge from practical farmers.

@bummita, adebisiyemmit@yahoo.com

@Ajayi, plantain farming consist of 3 segment of 3 factors each. Let me give you the first segment at least for now.

1. Get yourself(arable land), remember, the land must not be too waterlogged or dry.

2.You also need wind control method to avoid any destruction of plants by wind.

3. Your farm should also be located at a secure place,so that you won't get to your farm and see all plantain been cutting off by thieves.

@all, please don't rent/lease lands by a mere mouth without a special/written agreement between you and your landlord or better still buy your own land. It's very risky as the owner may ask you to leave if he discover you're making huge amount of money or incessantly demanding for money. Goodluck to you all!

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2013
C'noteuchay:
hi gud morning am a plantain farmer too, but later have been trying to find out if their is other commercial way plantain can be process to or comsumed apart from d normal chips and selling to d local market women. Pls reply if u have any idea and materials abt processing plantain into something apart from plantain chips

Good to know you're a plantain farmer too.

You can always process your plantain into flour and package it well. It's our plan to start making standard plantain flour in the nearest future especially when our products exceed what the market demands.

Besides, why selling your plantain to the local-market women who're likely to buy it at cheapest prize ever when you can market it by yourself? Marketing is very important if you're going to make it in farming in Nigeria. Marketers makes 10x of profit made by farmers,so why will you allow these people to reap you off when you can be a producer and marketer at the same time? The best way to do it is to start sourcing for market before harvest.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by realghy(m): 2:48pm On Nov 18, 2013
rammytt: Thank God i saw this thread.i'm seriously interested in plantain farming,infact i ve rented an acre of land to start with.i wil start clearing d land in preparatin for the next planting season.i've being reading some blogs online and they are really helpful.what i need now is hw i wil get abt 1000 suckers n d best way to market d produce..location,Edo state/Etsako west.Any help on how to get suckers?

@op If you really in need of the good hybrid of plantain suckers i can supply you, our farm gate is open for inspection. For more call 09022402529 or whatsapp 08060089114
mail: goldnsoul2009@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by irukandji89(m): 4:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
C'noteuchay:

I can refer u to a lecturer in the physics dept of OOU ... Mr. Odusote.
He helps people in setting up a way of processing plantain into powder (like ELUBO .. Yam flour)
The only gripes is you can only sell locally.
But if u wanna sell nationwide, nafdac will have to approve ... Packaging, nafdac reg etc ... If ur interested in his contact, send me a direct message. I will also notify him that I want to link people to him, so he won't be surprised if you contact him.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by rammytt(m): 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
For those of u dat dropped e-mails.i've mailed u.plz get back to me asap
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by datola: 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
When is the right season to plant?

Thanks.

realghy:

@op If you really in need of the suckers i can supply you, but behold u cant plant it now because the season has gone. For more discussion Here is my phone number 08060089114 goldnsoul2009@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 5:06am On Nov 20, 2013
@emma... thank God for creating this thread. @yemmit90...thank you for sharing your experience as a plaintain farmer with us..
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 8:17am On Nov 20, 2013
@datola The focus should be directed towards the raining season as advised by @yemmit90. Now is the right time to start planning all logistics to kickstart.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 8:22am On Nov 20, 2013
Another issue to start looking at is the Buyers of the products. Suggestions are welcome from experienced plantain farmers on how they sell their produce to both local and foreign buyers.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 9:56am On Nov 20, 2013
yes... marketing is very important. but thank God for plaintain, it has a way selling itself. (that one no mean say you no go look for market o) but it wouldn't be difficult once you are know...@emma, bros... na here the market dey..the local demand and market is large. just like yemmit90 said.. if you can market your plantain yourself, fine! the good thing about plantain farming and marketing is this,after getting first contacts...the rest na lite issue....
Emma Ajayi: Another issue to start looking at is the Buyers of the products. Suggestions are welcome from experienced plantain farmers on how they sell their produce to both local and foreign buyers.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ngezeck(m): 10:11am On Nov 20, 2013
i am intrested in the plantain business. dis is my email ngezeck@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
ngezeck: i am intrested in the plantain business. dis is my email ngezeck@gmail.com

@ngezeck : Where are you based?
In has become necessary to visit some plantations accross South & Mid West soon.
Still expecting more suggestions on the Marketing aspect of this project.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2013

@rammytt, can you sent the blogs you've come accross to me? They may be useful to me as well.
Meanwhile we can still get suggestions on how to source for the suckers.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 20, 2013
Pls send to me mladasigwung@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ymdo(m): 6:00pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hello everyone. Pls, I have a plot of land where I can start this business. How many suckers do u think I need for optimum production?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 6:12pm On Nov 20, 2013
@Emma and all,.... check out this sites....it can be helpful!

http://plantainrichesnigeria..com/
http://www.article.com.ng/news/plantain-farming-for-the-upwardly-mobile/

I found them while researching for Plantain plantation on net.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
@All... you can get improved sucker from any International Institute of Tropical Agriculture office closer to you.(IITA). does of you in Ibadan, you have one institute there.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ngezeck(m): 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
@ Emma ajayi i base in anambra
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 9:21am On Nov 21, 2013
ymdo: Hello everyone. Pls, I have a plot of land where I can start this business. How many suckers do u think I need for optimum production?

You will need between 60- 70 suckers.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ymdo(m): 9:57am On Nov 21, 2013
@yemmit
Thanks a lot. God bless
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
henrimoto: @Emma and all,.... check out this sites....it can be helpful!

http://plantainrichesnigeria..com/
http://www.article.com.ng/news/plantain-farming-for-the-upwardly-mobile/

I found them while researching for Plantain plantation on net.

@henrimoto, you do well with the sites you sent.
Still going through.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by boluwajokosegun: 3:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
You have all spoken well, on a 50 by 100 pplot of land you should pland 100 suckers.
Plantain do have fungus deseases which must be noted, so your sources of sucker is very important
There is also need for regular plantation maintenace, ie each stand spacing must be kept year in year out , otherwise the bounch would be smaller than previous & poor yeild.
We have a specie thatwe sell in ibadan that produce two bounches.
Wind breakers must be planted
Support for plantain crop is also required to support the heavy weight of the plantain fruit, it must be carefully position so as to protect the plant from dying.
We sell the hybrid two/ double bounch plant for N100 a sucker. Each sucher grows to reproduce 10 new suchers at the end of the year.
Do not allow more than 3 suckers to remain on a sport so as to have a good yeild at once.

You should use poultry waste mixed with sawdust as manure at the base of the plantain to get veryy big plantain fruits
Plantain can also be grown from it seed , obtain inside the ripe plantain.

A new type of DODO IKIRE can be package, well season, without sand or dust for sale, infact many new snacks can also come out of the plantain.

For more infor on setting up the biz do call gbenga on 08182355047 or eesteeresources@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by boluwajokosegun: 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
We can send hybrid double bounch producing suckers to any part of the country.
I can't upload pictures

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos) / Buy Your Dwarf Seedling Orange,lemon,mango,cashew, Pawpaw,ogbono,palm,bittercola / An 'ewedu' Plant That Is Almost Twice The Height Of An Average Female Being.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.