Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Starting A Plantain Farming. - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Plantain Farming. (50268 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / The Goldmine In Plantain Farming – Regular Sources Of Income / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:31am On Jan 28, 2015
Some people are just attention seekers, Give what you have and let us learn from how you market successfully your plantain and help someone instead of criticising other people's work.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 2:20pm On Jan 29, 2015
EmmaAjayi:

GGfadar, please give your feedback on the marketing stuff. Thanks

......................................... .....

After making several market survey within IBADAN, i got to the largest market selling plantain and other fruits called " OJE MARKET " and discovered the prices of plantain in larger quantities. they buy and sell in dozens and the best price is 6,000naira per dozen.
i didnt believe in one person enquiry result and checked other dealers of plantain in the market but there was no difference in price offer.
i went with 2 dozens of gd bunches to make a trial and make proper contacts with the dealers but i had to sell just one dozen and had to leave the market with a bit state of disappointment.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 2:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
Some people are just attention seekers, Give what you have and let us learn from how you market successfully your plantain and help someone instead of criticising other people's work.

no one is bn criticised here
just making people understand the most important aspect in the business that is not always mentioned.
all i read is " make millions from plantain farming "

hope 'm clear
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

"""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""" """""""""""

if truly i'm seeking attention,
then i wonder what a farmer like you is doing on this forum and still ignoring facts of your posts
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 2:58pm On Jan 29, 2015
i'm a part-time farmer and i'm making good returns from my plantain farm.

i've been able to make good returns cos i don't sell to whole sale buyers, i sell to staffs of the company i work with and some churches.

to me, its d best way i can make good money from plantain farming business.

i sell for as much as 1,500 per bunch and as less as 700 naira per bunch depending on sizes of plantain bunches.

if anyone will make good money (MILLIONS) within year or two from plantain farming business just the same way we've been reading on NAIRALAND threads,
its very possible but it also means you such a farmer or investor must start big; meaning he/she will start with a minimum of plantain plantations of 6 - 8 acres growing up 7,000 plantain suckers and expecting 6,000 good bunches of plantain @harvest.
This is @ worst case scenario with proper management.
With these illustration, then i can see a farmer counting millions by end of d season.

thereby selling at open market supply cost of 5,000 naira - 6,000 naira per dozen will not become a loss.

"""""""''''''''''''''''-----------------------"""""""""""""""

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:18am On Jan 31, 2015
@GGfadar
As EmmaAjayi have said that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion,
you have stated yours and share your own marketing experience and i believe one or two people would have learnt from your own.experience.

If i can share mine,and you can share yours,then every intending farmers are better off at the end of the day.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 8:38am On Jan 31, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
@GGfadar
As EmmaAjayi have said that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion,
you have stated yours and share your own marketing experience and i believe one or two people would have learnt from your own.experience.

If i can share mine,and you can share yours,then every intending farmers are better off at the end of the day.

Thank you for understanding
Now u know I'm not a critic
if there's a better market somewhere close to ibadan pls lets know......

AGBE LOBA
Nice work
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Johnnyessence(m): 3:59am On Feb 01, 2015
GGfadar:
i'm a part-time farmer and i'm making good returns from my plantain farm.

i've been able to make good returns cos i don't sell to whole sale buyers, i sell to staffs of the company i work with and some churches.

to me, its d best way i can make good money from plantain farming business.

i sell for as much as 1,500 per bunch and as less as 700 naira per bunch depending on sizes of plantain bunches.

if anyone will make good money (MILLIONS) within year or two from plantain farming business just the same way we've been reading on NAIRALAND threads,
its very possible but it also means you such a farmer or investor must start big; meaning he/she will start with a minimum of plantain plantations of 6 - 8 acres growing up 7,000 plantain suckers and expecting 6,000 good bunches of plantain @harvest.
This is @ worst case scenario with proper management.
With these illustration, then i can see a farmer counting millions by end of d season.

thereby selling at open market supply cost of 5,000 naira - 6,000 naira per dozen will not become a loss.

"""""""''''''''''''''''-----------------------"""""""""""""""

nice advice sir I love it sir waooooooo getting more interesting .
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Johnnyessence(m): 4:04am On Feb 01, 2015
GGfadar:

......................................... .....

After making several market survey within IBADAN, i got to the largest market selling plantain and other fruits called " OJE MARKET " and discovered the prices of plantain in larger quantities. they buy and sell in dozens and the best price is 6,000naira per dozen.
i didnt believe in one person enquiry result and checked other dealers of plantain in the market but there was no difference in price offer.
i went with 2 dozens of gd bunches to make a trial and make proper contacts with the dealers but i had to sell just one dozen and had to leave the market with a bit state of disappointment.
bro don't be disappointed that's how agricultural marketing looks like oooooooo.if we are much in d system we will form association of plantain farming and marketing plan will be great.this is my advice shaaa.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Johnnyessence(m): 4:07am On Feb 01, 2015
GGfadar:

Thank you for understanding
Now u know I'm not a critic
if there's a better market somewhere close to ibadan pls lets know......

AGBE LOBA
Nice work
waooo love ur comment here sir keep d good work moving .bro I don't forget u ooooooooooooooo I saw bro Hotmass advert still getting in touch with u soon.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 6:09am On Feb 01, 2015
Now is the time to start. Take a decision
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by debeey87(m): 7:02am On Feb 01, 2015
olushollys:

I can connect u with someone in charge of plantain @ iita ibadan if u wish u can send me a mail or ur phone no. Thanks

I will appreciate the contact as well. My email is shittuolalekan59@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by realghy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 01, 2015
datola:
When is the right season to plant?

Thanks.

planting season starting from march of the year.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by realghy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 01, 2015
datola:
When is the right season to plant?

Thanks.

planting season starting from march of the year till off raining season.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:08am On Feb 02, 2015
EmmaAjayi:
Now is the time to start. Take a decision
Rightly said.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
How far?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 12:40am On Feb 14, 2015
2015 Farming season loading seriously. The change is here.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ndbaba(m): 10:41am On Feb 14, 2015
[quote author=debeey87 post=30318960]
I will appreciate the contact as well.
bros I am also interested in dis contact. my email add is endur4life2003@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by INFOTECH2: 2:51pm On Feb 14, 2015
yemmit90:

Sorry for the late reply to your post.

The only alternative to irrigation system is rain. And if you check the post I previously quoted and my post,you will see that I only criticized and gave reason to his assumption that 'plantain could be planted anytime of the year as long as water is available'. Yes, but perhaps he forgot that we have rain and dry seasons respectively.

I therefore centered my reply to his post to irrigation system because I knew that was what he meant by saying that. Like I said before,irrigation is only good and reasonable when you're trying to make sure the plant get enough water during the dry season. My point is that, it might be a grave mistake by starting planting your suckers with a mere irrigation system as suggested by some in this thread and other threads. I'm quite understand they wanted to sell their suckers, but that doesn't not mean they should be advising a Novice with very little or zero experience/knowledge to emback on that dangerous rout.

If one does not start with irrigation as a novice how then does one water the plantain in the dry season?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 3:43am On Feb 22, 2015
Good day friends...its been a while..I have seen many posts and replies..anyway,in all the posts,no one borders to mention how to prevent diseases. Na the profit we dey look at and how to setup.
If you are starting up a plantain farm,you must be able to take care of the disease aspect. Its like you are feeding a big child that is sick,on the long run it will lose weight (I.e yield). Today I was at the land I will be setting up for plantain farm for one of my client at a village called ihunbo in idi iroko of Ogun state. On my way to the farm to the farm to see the work the labourers are doing,I saw a plantain that has a disease called BBTV ( banana bunchy top virus). I want to snap the pic but was not allowed by the villagers. I want all of us to be aware that plantain has enemies in conclusion,I will try to snap the picture when next I go there. Good morning

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by busybee001: 11:01am On Mar 11, 2015
Hello,
Please I am based in Abuja and need contacts of plaintain farmers in Ondo State.
I am into wholesale buying and selling of plaintain.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by world1(m): 11:35am On Mar 11, 2015
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 12:33am On Mar 21, 2015
its been a while that i have visited this thread...........
while awaiting the rain to start fully for planting operation to start, the land is being prepared for spacing and other things needed. sincerely, the land preparation aspect is one of the toughest part because slash and burn system was the system adopted. In the process of packing the dried thickets and woods together for burning, there are issues of the thickets and woods not really burning to the satisfied stage but it has to be burned again.
before you check the pics, i will like to say that farming in the tropical world/system is still in a crude way especially in the rain forest zone of Nigeria where there is thick vegetation and woody plants. therefore, before you venture into any farming business, you must be highly determined cos the unexpected can happen.
i will keep updating more on the activities going on on this land, i believe seeing the pictures will educate more,
Thanks

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 12:56am On Mar 21, 2015
sir, i think you dont get the points he is trying to let you know.
now, the season is dry and the soil is very dry. there is no amount of water you will pour at the base of the sucker planted now that will will satisfy the sucker like that of rainfall. if the plantain is already established, that is the suckers are more than 6 months, then irrigation can come in cos the root system of the plantain will have go very deep down to where there is still water in the soil and will also perform better if helped with irrigation. the point here is that a newly planted sucker cant survive well in a dry soil even when irrigation is in place, its only the established plantains that can survive it. check you environment, you will still see old plantain sucker still flourishing, its because their root system has gone so deep to get the needed moisture and nutrient.
Thank you
INFOTECH2:

If one does not start with irrigation as a novice how then does one water the plantain in the dry season?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:30pm On May 26, 2015
Honourable members of Nairaland, l'm currently in need of 2400 plantain surkers at good price. Quality will not be compromised. Kindly give your price, this request is urgent.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:35pm On May 26, 2015
Nairalanders, please I'm in urgent need of 2400 quality plantain surkers at a good price. Kindly quote your price here. Delivery at Ogbomosho
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by GGfadar(m): 12:28am On May 27, 2015
i av above 1,000 suckers @100naira each but i can't deliver @ ogbomoso. if only u can pick up in my farm @ ibadan.
got mine from I.I.T.A n had a very gd harvest, about 30 + plantain per bunch @harvest if well managed
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 6:16pm On May 28, 2015
GGfadar:
i av above 1,000 suckers @100naira each but i can't deliver @ ogbomoso. if only u can pick up in my farm @ ibadan.
got mine from I.I.T.A n had a very gd harvest, about 30 + plantain per bunch @harvest if well managed

@Ggfadar,

How advisable is it to source from different sources? Can you source it completely so that we make it just a trip?
Then you need to give discount considering self collection
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by world1(m): 9:40am On May 29, 2015
EmmaAjayi:
Nairalanders, please I'm in urgent need of 2400 quality plantain surkers at a good price. Kindly quote your price here. Delivery at Ogbomosho

We can deliver to your farm in ogbomosho
Suckers +Delivery =N180 per sucker.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2015
just finish planting 4600 suckers on 7 acres of farmland in Benin for one of my clients
Agriculture is making sense. I love it cos that's what I study in school and also venture into it
cocoa plantation and oil palm plantation.......loading

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
another plantain farm at ikorodu in Lagos state. planting ongoing. these suckers were raised in nursery at the farm site
#Creativity in agribusiness will change the scope of agriculture#

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2015
Moyanbe:
another plantain farm at ikorodu in Lagos state. planting ongoing. these suckers were raised in nursery at the farm site
#Creativity in agribusiness will change the scope of agriculture#

@Moyanbe, do you have suckers at affordable price? What is your price ex-farm?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cockerel Vs. Broiler / Agric Students At Nnamdi Azikiwe University Kill A Big Python During Farm Work / An 'ewedu' Plant That Is Almost Twice The Height Of An Average Female Being.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.