Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof (40696 Views)

The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria / Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows / My agent sold my land without my knowledge what can i do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 29, 2015
Aks:
You did the right thing and it is a sign of maturity.

I read the whole episode btw you and CityNG and i was shaking my head in disbelief at his response even when you tried to play it down.

Pls continue to do what u know how to do best. Cheers

I am elated that I invoked a response from you.

CityNG, invoking emotions in others that they themselves do not know from whence it came from grin

Thank you.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by shamecurls(m): 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2015
shamecurls:
Can i tell from the survey if a land is genuine?

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by lawyer(m): 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2015
shamecurls:
Can i tell from the survey if a land is genuine?

Nope because that's a perimeter survey of a section of the village in question. From my limited observation of this survey plan I discovered the following omissions:

1. No date

2. No name of the surveyor who drafted it

3. No free from Government acquisition stamp

4. No survey plan number

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by shamecurls(m): 10:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
lawyer:

Nope because that's a perimeter survey of a section of the village in question. From my limited observation of this survey plan I discovered the following omissions:

1. No date

2. No name of the surveyor who drafted it

3. No free from Government acquisition stamp

4. No survey plan number

Thanks alot
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by kaykad: 10:36am On Feb 13, 2015
Dear Lawyer:

please can you state the document needed to secure a land to be your permanently and how to get them:

etc
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Nobody: 1:45am On Feb 16, 2015
Buyers please beware of the userid DangoteCementPLC, it's a scammers account.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Perpetual459: 12:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
i jst got an half plot of land@mowe.i only ve the receipt from the omo onile.what other document do i need to guard against future challenges
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
Dear Lawyer, thanks a lot for this eye-opener. Please do you have any information on a Peace Garden Estate in Okun Ajah? Thanks.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by UniqueHomes(m): 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Bar Mato, I must say that I am really impressed by your professionalism on this matter and I will in fact be willing to work with you.
As an agent, I am fully aware of the fact that some agents are dubious and they will go ahead with a transaction even if they know it will be detrimental to the client. But what about Agents or property consultants like us who are willing to do right and is fighting to rid the profession of criminals. How will we be heard if we are been categorized as criminals.
I am sure you understand me. I just want to make a way in this business but with good intent.
How can you help?
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by jman77(m): 8:12am On Mar 23, 2015
Pls house, I'm about acquiring a land but don't know the doc I will be issued immediately I pay for it.....is it the receipt only or any other docs to prove ownership?
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by spassion: 12:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
Dear Lawyer,

I bought a one acre land along Shagamu-Papalanto road/expressway, Ogun state inside a village. It is about 10minutes drive from Lagos Ibadan expressway.

Can you please advise if this area is under government acquisition?

Thanks.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Empiree: 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2015
This is very sad. He could have avoided this mess with just 50k. He was probably thinking "what's the point paying for due diligence when I could just buy the land." Okay, 2013 to 2015, did he recover anything yet or you don tire for his case?
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by benbertie: 4:47am On Oct 25, 2017
DO YOU KNOW THAT

1. Buying a Land that is deemed to be “free” but it has no Certificate of Occupancy or Governors Consent or Gazette / Excision is a gamble?

2. Buying a Land with “Gazette in Process” and “Excision in View” or “File Numbers” is an unsecured investment? This is a commonly used scam / trick by real estate development companies in Lagos, Nigeria.

3. There are cases where fraudulent Sellers present cloned Certificate of Occupancy or Registered Titles, alongside fake or forged means of identification?

4. In a situation where a Property is owned by a Corporate Body incorporated or registered under the Companies and Allied Matters Act, Search at the Companies Registry is paramount?

5. Without a grant of probate and /or letters of administration, no Vendor or Seller [whether family members or otherwise] possesses the requisite authority to sell the estate or property of a deceased person? Hence Search at the Probate Registry is vital.

6. The consent of the principal members and head of the family or community to the sales transaction needs to be obtained so as not to make the sales transaction void or voidable?

7. If the Title of a Land is defective, whoever buys a House built on such a Land is merely a tenant at the mercy of the true Owner with a valid legal Title to the Land? The Legal Maxim: “quicquid plantatur solo, solo cedit” in very instructive. It simply means that whatever is affixed or planted to a land belongs to the land.

8. It is the duty of the Lawyer of the Buyer or Purchaser to prepare the Documents which includes: Contract of Sale; and Deed of Assignment; or Deed of Sub-Lease; or Deed of Conveyance; or Deed of Transfer; or Power of Attorney; as the case may be? The rationale for which the duty of preparation of the Documents is on the Lawyer of the Buyer or Purchaser flows from the right of the Buyer or Purchase to the non - reversionary interest of the property.

9. If there is litigation on a property, the Court may order that status quo be maintained and the person in possession would remain in possession? After making payments and executing Title Documents, a Buyer can take possession by: erecting a small fence, farming on the property, putting tenants on the property, putting a security person on the property, putting construction materials on the property, etc.

10. The Land Use Act prohibits alienation of Land without the consent of the Governor?

11. Failure to pay stamp duty renders a title document unacceptable for registration and inadmissible in evidence in a court of law?

12. Registration does not cure defects neither does it confer validity on the Instrument which it would not have otherwise had but for its registration?

You need to know how to go about the process of buying and owning a Property in Nigeria. There are several Laws which govern and regulate the process. Hence, usually, it is time and capital intensive. On Property transactions, the legal maxim is apt: “Caveat Emptor” - Buyers Beware. It is not for a Seller to beware. A Buyer needs to exercise full caution and due diligence when buying a property.

READ MORE https://www.nairaland.com/4136950/guide-how-buy-property-land

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Qualify For The National Housing Fund Loan And Buy Your First Home / 3-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Yaba, Lagos (Photo) / See The House I Built For My Age Parents.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.