Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (16999 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Balley(f): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
My neighbour Mr Femi....., has 2 kids a boy about 4 years and and a girl 2 years.

They both call their dad Femi and not Dad. Initially i didn't know it was their dad that they were referring to, when i got to know, i asked my mum, why are these children calling their dad by his name and not Dad.

My mum said its what their dad want.

So that's was what lead to my curiosity to know why ask is children to call him his name.

What does a man stand to gain by asking his children to call him by his name, his own name oo, not surname, instead of daddy or father.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
nice topic, in my place if ur father is a titled man you can address him by his title but calling him his name is disrespectful.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 13, 2013
I believe there's nothing to it,It's all in their Relationship...their mutual Respect for each other.For instance; I was out one Evening,playing Video Games with Friends,one Friend's Mum called him and he picked and said"MumC,how far?"..."okay,i don dey come",then promptly drop what he's doing and head for Home,while others would say"Mummy...yes Ma,I'm on my Way" and sit down comfortably for another Hour or more,all the while telling their Mums when they call that "I'm on the Way".

20 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 6:31pm On Nov 13, 2013
I think it is an utter lack of respect to allow an offspring to allow them to call their father by their first name. No child should ever do that. Parents deserve the outmost respect.

4 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Balley(f): 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2013
koonbey: I believe there's nothing to it,It's all in their Relationship...their mutual Respect for each other.For instance; I was out one Evening,playing Video Games with Friends,one Friend's Mum called him and he picked and said"MumC,how far?"..."okay,i don dey come",then promptly drop what he's doing and head for Home,while others would say"Mummy...yes Ma,I'm on my Way" and sit down comfortably for another Hour or more,all the while telling their Mums when they call that "I'm on the Way".
. At least, ur frnd said mumc and not yemisi. Dis children practically cals deir dad Femi!!!

9 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Balley(f): 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2013
koonbey: I believe there's nothing to it,It's all in their Relationship...their mutual Respect for each other.For instance; I was out one Evening,playing Video Games with Friends,one Friend's Mum called him and he picked and said"MumC,how far?"..."okay,i don dey come",then promptly drop what he's doing and head for Home,while others would say"Mummy...yes Ma,I'm on my Way" and sit down comfortably for another Hour or more,all the while telling their Mums when they call that "I'm on the Way".
. At least, ur frnd said mumc and not yemisi. Dis children practically cals deir dad Femi!!!. Check my post bak, av modified it
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
Balley: . At least, ur frnd said mumc and not yemisi. Dis children practically cals deir dad Femi!!!. Check my post bak, av modified it
well,that's true but what I was trying to highlight was the Level of Informality and Latitude given the Children in their Interaction with their Parents,and the Respect and Obedience displayed,this contrasted with the apparent Respect concealing utmost Disrespect in another Set of Children. I guess its simply a Case of different Strokes for different Folks.

10 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by blank(f): 7:40pm On Nov 13, 2013
How is it your business? The father is comfortable with it and you are here fuming and ranting about it.

Does it make you less of a person to hear your neighbour's kids calling their father's name?

Next time just cover your ears so you will hear no "evil".

27 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Balley(f): 8:00pm On Nov 13, 2013
blank: How is it your business? The father is comfortable with it and you are hear fuming and ranting about it.

Does it make you less of a person to hear your neighbor's kids calling their father's name?

. Ofcos its none of my biz n it doesn't discomfort me in any way, jst curious y he want it dat way. I once had a frnd dat calls her mum 'my aunty'. Reason bein dat d mum stil wants to b claiming swt 16. But in Mr femi's case, don't knw wat to think

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SalC: 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
That's wrong, why would a child call his father by name. The parents should do something about it now. I've seen children refering to either of their parents as aunty or brother but not calling them by name.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 10:25pm On Nov 13, 2013
Sal C: That's wrong, why would a child call his father by name. The parents should do something about it now. I've seen children refering to either of their parents as aunty or brother but not calling them by name.

That is also very disrespectful. Calling your father things like "man", "dude", "brother", etc. Just thinking about it infuriates me. Calling ones mother things like "sister", "sis", "aunty" I thought all these things were abominations in all Nigerian cultures. If I were a parent I dare one of my children to ever use terminology around myself or my future wife and see what happens.

Parents should teach children respect at an early age.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SugaryBelle(f): 7:00am On Nov 14, 2013
Some men actualy choose to be called their first name and even insist,i have an uncle named Samuel who insist everyone calls him that,his children even call him Sammy,yet they are very respectful so its realy not disrespectful when its the man who choose it.

7 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 14, 2013
Personally, I don't think there is nothing in it. If that's what he want, who r u to pokenose? Not ur biz.
I hate this aunty stuff. Call me my name. I hv an identity pls. Aunty,brother, uncle, what nansense is that?
I actually called one married lady(somewhere my age I think) her name one day and she sternly warned me not to do so. That I should call her mummy this. LOL!
C mentality!

We r still in d stone age! Everybody is passing us by and we wanna cling passionately to some stewpid mentality.
Once somebody is made an officer, a phd holder, chief,lawyers, doctors,engineers,alfa or whatever, that is d end of such persons name. U only c d name in papers.

Bad,so bad.

8 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by dayokanu(m): 7:44am On Nov 14, 2013
Even Obamas daughters would never call him Barack

5 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by vanitty: 8:39am On Nov 14, 2013
Lmao, comedy. I suppose that stupidity is limited to the funky dad only or are they calling their father's age mate and uncles by name as well hehe.

I trust the Nigerians around me
Even if you tell them that you wanted it that way, they will still correct the pikins

God bless my peoples!!!

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 14, 2013
I think the children will by themselves start addressing him as dad as they get older.

It is weird though.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2013
Hmmm.... Really it takes a man to do that...

That is what I will refer to a listening father. What I think is that the guy has some development issues maybe with his own dad and now thinks of a way to bring down that wall with respect to his own kids...

With that, he believes the children will be more free with him to communicate and will be able to talk to him as a friend without any fatherly fear of calling him dad or so...

Nice one from him sha... But na big thing o!

Make my pikin dey call me LeatherFaze... abi CoreDeadRabbits...

Gosh!

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Personally, I don't think there is nothing in it. If that's what he want, who r u to pokenose? Not ur biz.
I hate this aunty stuff. Call me my name. I hv an identity pls. Aunty,brother, uncle, what nansense is that?
I actually called one married lady(somewhere my age I think) her name one day and she sternly warned me not to do so. That I should call her mummy this. LOL!
C mentality!

We r still in d stone age! Everybody is passing us by and we wanna cling passionately to some stewpid mentality.
Once somebody is made an officer, a phd holder, chief,lawyers, doctors,engineers,alfa or whatever, that is d end of such persons name. U only c d name in papers.

Bad,so bad.
lol,thasts nigerians for you.i remember years back when i was still younger than i am now and i saw this my customer who i used to buy clothes from when i was an undergraduate and so out of excitement i yelled kemmiiiiiii and wanted to give her a hug,she just brushed me and said please call me mrs adeshina,i shouldnt call her kemi if i know i want to adress her,i just hissed and walked out of her face,clapped and laughed in amusement.

4 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
blank: How is it your business? The father is comfortable with it and you are hear fuming and ranting about it.

Does it make you less of a person to hear your neighbor's kids calling their father's name?

Sharrap there, stay there and form civilised when tis just a barbaric attitude !!!

Nobody is blaming the Dad nor the Kids but In Africa and Most especially in Yorubaland, it is quite frown @ !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

All Those Little-Little things when Not checked begets adverse disrespect !!!

If Those kids should call their friend's father by his firstname then, Hot slap is what they got from their friend !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ur Children should be trained to fit into the Moral Situations in the society not to be @ odds with them in the name of advancement/civilisation !!!

12 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Personally, I don't think there is nothing in it. If that's what he want, who r u to pokenose? Not ur biz.
C mentality!

Bad,so bad.
Ur case is someone suffering from Inferiority complex thus believing everything that occurs in western countries should be replicate in your society simply because your people are of lesser mentality !!!while you are the one displaying lesser mentality here via Inferiority complex !!!

What odd is it in calling somebody who is older than you Aunty,Brother,Bros,Egbon and showing some respect, Is it not the same mouth with which U called somebody by their firstname u called them by those tags !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

While I work amongst Westerners, they all call themselves by their firstname, I also Joined in calling them by their firstname even the one as old as my Granpa but I dare not call the Nigerians who are older than me by their firstname ............ Since, our culture and socialization(societal norms) already tagged it Offensive !!!

This is not Ritual killing,Attaching Importance to stone,cannibalism or holding some false believes ........ This is simply about Value and Norms which makes our society works !!!

Do in Rome as the Romans do and U won't have any Problem , U are the one that should get emancipated from Ill-Mentality here !!!

The Issue of Ph.d,Professor,Councillor,Chairman,Governor,President is that of Arrogance, Average Nigeria is arrogant and when such has a slight Opportunity over some of his mates/colleagues, U would know via his Loudness ......does that now have anything to do with calling your dad, ''dad'' or your dad senior brother as ''Uncle'' or Your Mum ''Mummy'' ......

Na same Oyinbo tell us say make we dey call them with those tags, abi e no dey dcitionary ?, we dey do am, yellow pawpaw still say na stone age we dey ahahaha ,I wonder whose mentality is dull here !!!

14 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by True2myself24(f): 2:09am On Nov 15, 2013
It's not disrespectful if the father and mother have no problem with it. And plus these children are little. They're probably mimicking their mom. I have an aunt who calls her husband Darling K as a pet name, and for the longest time her three year old daughter kept calling her dad by that name. She didn't mean any disrespect by it. As a child she was just mimicking the mom and now that she's older she's grown out of it.

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by blank(f): 4:49am On Nov 15, 2013
Can you speak only when you're spoken to?
donroxy: Sharrap there, stay there and form civilised when tis just a barbaric attitude !!!

Nobody is blaming the Dad nor the Kids but In Africa and Most especially in Yorubaland, it is quite frown @ !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

All Those Little-Little things when Not checked begets adverse disrespect !!!

If Those kids should call their friend's father by his firstname then, Hot slap is what they got from their friend !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ur Children should be trained to fit into the Moral Situations in the society not to be @ odds with them in the name of advancement/civilisation !!!

4 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Acidosis(m): 7:10am On Nov 15, 2013
I will never allow that...

God forbid.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Tobiegal(f): 9:52am On Nov 15, 2013
Scared to contribute, but still would.

I dont see anything wrong, for as long as the Parents are okay with it.

My 2years old son calls me by name whenever he feels like, and must say, he has done that a lot in public places...and i most certainly dont frown at it... calls his Dad by his nick-name, which is what i also call him.

I even think its cute sometimes, it means a lot to me that my child can identify me by name...my very own name... there is alot to mummy and daddy out there... that their names are so lost to their kids.

Just thinking, why the hurry to be called mummy n daddy when thats all you wld soon be known as.

Its just a phase @op... the kids would fall into the pattern when the tyme comes..

12 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:07pm On Nov 15, 2013
With tym,de will stop calling their dad by his name.@times kids by dat age tend to address their parents lyk dat.

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
As long as their father see nothing wrong with it then it's ok. Respect is not when you call people Dad, Mum, Aunty, Uncle. It is when your actions show that you respect them.

7 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Jerryjat(m): 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
blank: How is it your business? The father is comfortable with it and you are here fuming and ranting about it.

Does it make you less of a person to hear your neighbour's kids calling their father's name?

Hey wat's ur Ish... Why are you taking dis personal?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by QMark: 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
Tobiegal:

My 2years old son calls me by name whenever he feels like, and must say, he has done that a lot in public places...and i most certainly dont frown at it... calls his Dad by his nick-name, which is what i also call him.

Are you sure my wife is not Tobiegal on nl?

My 2 yr old calls my wife by name and calls me by my nick name which my wife also calls me.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by fxx2: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
Children call their father what their mother calls him. My wife calls me sweetheart and that is what our children call me anywhere. I call her "mummy" and that's what they call her.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by greall1: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
Na them sabi

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Gwekzy: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
Abeg we shld nt dump our beautiful african culture...let our kids not imitate those disrespectful white kids..

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by complete1(m): 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
U hardly see dat happen in nigeria but in obvious situations of such it occurs based on d relationship between father n son,a child that hasn't see his dad for a very long time find it hard to call him dad and prefer calling him by name,arrogance is also a factor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Urgent Advice / Parents, Always Pay Attention To Your Children's Talents / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.