Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named (3137 Views)

Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe / Complete List Of Nigerian States, Lga And Towns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by bilms(m): 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
HOW ANCIENT TOWNS/CITIES WERE NAMED.

Today, i see people fighting over town,ethnic or regional affiliation.

Going by what we see on social media, often, we hear things like, i am biafran,lagosian,hausa, igbo etc. Some times, it comes like, i am from ilorin, Benin, Oyo and so on.

Today, i was tagged in a page and i saw a link which i tried to checkout.

Upon getting to the site, there was the history of how an ancient town (Oyan) came into being. After reading the history, it occurred to me that, most of the sources of tribal crisis are meaningless. These towns or tribe we clinch to so hard are merely a none existing entity at a point. It was different people from different areas that came together to form that town or ethnic group which with time came to give them one united identity. If they didn't come together, that ethnic or town wouldn't have been born.

kindly read below..

THE BRIEF HISTORY OF OYAN

Aladepe was the founder of Oyan, who migrated from Ile-Ife as far back as 1210. A descendant of Aregbajo of Igbajo from Akeran quarters Ile-Ife, a war like Prince and a farmer.

Aladepe was noted to be a glutton (Oyannu) his attitude towards food whenever he was hungry always brought a remarkable conclusion. It happened one day when Aladepe was returning form farm/hunting expedition, Aladepe demanded for his food but the food was not provided immediately by his wives, this made him to peel up the sweet potato, eat them raw without waiting for the food on fire. The astonished people for this action nicknamed him as (Oyannu) a glutton. The passerby and neighbourhoods whenever they want to make a stopover at Aladepe’s camp usually stressed ---------- I would make a stop-over at “Oyannu’s camp” a glutton’s camp. Later Oyannu was shortened to Oyan up till today.

There are only four ruling houses in Oyan, namely:-

1. Olomooba’s compound
2. Elemo Oluyeye/Aresinkeye’s compound
3. Daodu’s compound
4. Lajojo’s compound

1 Like

Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by ladionline: 8:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
bilms: HOW ANCIENT TOWNS/CITIES WERE NAMED.

Going by what we see on social media, often, we hear things like, i am biafran,lagosian,hausa, igbo etc. Some times, it comes like, i am from ilorin, Benin, Oyo and so on.

Upon getting to the site, there was the history of how an ancient town (Oyan) came into being. After reading the history, it occurred to me that, most of the sources of tribal crisis are meaningless. These towns or tribe we clinch to so hard are merely a none existing entity at a point. It was different people from different areas that came together to form that town or ethnic group which with time came to give them one united identity. If they didn't come together, that ethnic or town wouldn't have been born.

kindly read below..

Aladepe was the founder of Oyan, who migrated from Ile-Ife as far back as 1210. A descendant of Aregbajo of Igbajo from Akeran quarters Ile-Ife, a war like Prince and a farmer.

Aladepe was noted to be a glutton (Oyannu) his attitude towards food whenever he was hungry always brought a remarkable conclusion. It happened one day when Aladepe was returning form farm/hunting expedition, Aladepe demanded for his food but the food was not provided immediately by his wives, this made him to peel up the sweet potato, eat them raw without waiting for the food on fire. The astonished people for this action nicknamed him as (Oyannu) a glutton. The passerby and neighbourhoods whenever they want to make a stopover at Aladepe’s camp usually stressed ---------- I would make a stop-over at “Oyannu’s camp” a glutton’s camp. Later Oyannu was shortened to Oyan up till today.

1. Olomooba’s compound
3. Daodu’s compound
4. Lajojo’s compound

as much as I love ethnography, some of us often make a 'wild goose chase' in coming to conclusions. The fact that this was the story given does not make it right. It is just the definition of a given word "Oyan" from some influential persons, period. Their lexical-historiography is based on faulty premises. the question is as to the name, what fixed oral tradition butress this, perhaps in people's cognomen or ideals?.

Was that the only spectacular thing that happened in that place for good centuries of history? The traditionalist may not be right. why not see it from the angle that Oyan is one who was roasting the game? Yoruba history is deeper in meaning than what those interpreters normally gives as historiography. thanks anyway, it starts when it starts.

1 Like

Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by bilms(m): 9:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
Kindly expantiate
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by macof(m): 12:53am On Nov 17, 2013
I don't understand the OP

Is he trying to say Oyo is made up of different ethnic groups?
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by bilms(m): 6:11am On Nov 17, 2013
Read well pls
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by Luckybelt: 9:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
nice
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by Danladi7: 2:55pm On Nov 27, 2017
bilms:
HOW ANCIENT TOWNS/CITIES WERE NAMED.

kindly read below..

1. Olomooba’s compound
3. Daodu’s compound
4. Lajojo’s compound

Are you from Oyan?
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by bilms(m): 8:58pm On Jun 09, 2018
Yes
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by Dayoto: 12:58am On Jun 10, 2018
hnn
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by Pearlyakin(m): 11:39am On Jun 10, 2018
Ibadan was coined from the word eba odan that is along the grasslands, While Oyo means Ile ti Oyo meaning slippery land, ogbomosho is coined from ogbori elemosho that is a man that cuts off elemosho head, ilorin is from ilo irin that is a place where they sharpen Iron, Oshogbo is from the word Osho inu igbo meaning wizards in the forest, let me stop here and continue later.
Re: How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named by bilms(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
grin

(1) (Reply)

Nupe Families In Lagos / Absolute Knowledge Of Ritual Performances Using, Kolanut, Nzu, And Oseoji / Unpacking The Bayajidda Myth: Crisis And Legitimacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.