Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers (1659 Views)

I Want A Swap My Note 4 With Note 5 / How To Bypass Android Screen Lock With Just A Call / Unlocking Itel Pattern Lock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
Samsung introduced the controversial Region lock with its Galaxy Note 3 phablet and that caused quite a stir – the idea of being unable to use your unlocked device with some SIM cards sounded most unpleasant.

Samsung quickly clarifiedthat this Region lock has been implemented to stem the grey market imports and that it goes away if the first SIM card you use is from the region you bought the device from. After that you can pop in a SIM card from a different region and it should work as expected.

It turned out this wasn’t quite all there is to it, though. Samsung Germany added the additional clarification that you have to use the SIM card from the correct region to make at least 5 minutes worth of voice calls (it doesn’t matter if it's incoming or outgoing calls).

It doesn’t have to be a SIM from the country where you got your Note 3 either, what's important is that a European Note 3 does 5 minutes of voice calling using a SIM from a European carrier (here "Europe" refers to the EU and the European Economic Area, not the geography term, see below).

If you're still having problems with the Region lock, you can visit the regional Samsung Care center to have it deactivated. You can call the center at €0.60/minute from a cell, €0.20/minute from a landline, but it's not clear if the actual unlocking will cost anything and if yes, how much.

Note that the Region lock is implemented in the Android 4.3 software that many Samsung phones are receiving at the moment, including the Galaxy S4, S4 mini, S III and Note II. So, keep that in mind before you hit Update.

If you already have and for some reason the official unlock method isn't working (and you can't visit a Samsung Care center), you can also go the XDA routeif you have a rooted phone.

Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA):
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania , Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, Switzerland, Croatia

Non-EU/EEA countries:
Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, Serbia, Vatican City

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_on_region_lock_you_need_5_min_of_voice_calls-news-7184.php

1 Like

Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by DidiLove1: 7:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
Please does this affect the Note 10.1 2014 edition?
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
Didi Love: Please does this affect the Note 10.1 2014 edition?

Yes, even previous S4, S3, Note 2, once they u updated these ones to the new Android 4.3, they become locked to the region they were produced for.

To unlock the locked phones, you would have to put in a sim from the region it was locked to and call or receive call for five minutes. For example, if the phone is locked to the US, you'd have to put a Verizon, sprint or AT&T into the phone and call or receive calls for 5minutes to unlock it.

Which means you'd be buying like a Second hand phone, if you are importing.
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
People need to know about this, so as not to get stuck with a locked, unusable Samsung phone/tablet.
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by pickabeau1: 1:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for your info...
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2013
pickabeau1: Thanks for your info...

You welcome
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by otikpoko(m): 10:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
I have a verizon sim card but when inserted into a phone, it does not receive reception.

Is it still possible for me to use it to make a 5mins call?

Can i make it (verizon) receive network in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 16, 2013
otikpoko: I have a verizon sim card but when inserted into a phone, it does not receive reception.

Is it still possible for me to use it to make a 5mins call?

Can i make it (verizon) receive network in Nigeria? undecided

I don't think so, you can go on youtube and search for Samsung region lock, I think some people have made a video on how to unlock it, tho its confirmed cos I have not seen any.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by blayzeen(m): 12:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
Thought it was just on the kitkat update only...damn!
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by seniourman(m): 10:13am On Nov 28, 2013
samsung ubbish give me tecno a2 wet dey dat table
Re: Samsung Begins Region Lock with Note 3 and all its devices. Caution to Importers by mrdrizzy(m): 10:56am On Nov 28, 2013
seniourman: samsung ubbish give me tecno a2 wet dey dat table
oga seniourman!! Wetin u dey find for phone section?? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

M4tel Smartphones UNLOCKING CODES VIA IMEI / Help Root Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Without Pc / Screenshots Of Grand-theft,san Andreas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.