Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi (1544 Views)

An Experience At Pastor Chris Okotie’s Church In Lagos / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by JonahOkpabi: 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2013
In recent times, not much is known about Alode, one of the Ten clans that make up Eleme ethnic nationality. Not Much is said about the people, except that they are people living in past glory for the following reasons; victory in wars and early assess to western education/civilization. The history of Alode has been eclipse by the long period of war and a scene for many great battles fought in the Eleme history, which includes; the sacking of Ajoor in the year 1840 AD, an ancient and most civilize of all Eleme settlements in those days, land disputes with Alesa and Onne over the ownership of Ajoor lands, their prolong years of war with their riverine neighbours "Okrikans," and then internal clashes which has made the place an unstable area (politics and developments). The people of Alode have suffered setbacks in all ramifications and were at a point nearing extinction.
Yet in all, Alode still plays a major role in the development of Eleme.
Not only does War has disadvantages, there are also some outstanding advantages in war. War brings about peace and development. For instance, the introduction of christianity/Education into Eleme in the year 1910 is as a result of the prolong rift between Alode and Alesa over the vast area of lands belonging to Ajoor. Alode people who were responsible for the prosecution of the war spearheaded by their powerful warrior "Akaraolu Siaro" refused to concede to Alesa a reasonable portion of lands vacated by the people of Ajoor after they were conquered and dispersed in 1840. The Alesas argued that their deity "Onura" was a driving force behind the success recorded in that great battle.
During this long period of hostility and ritual battle (1890), Alesa secured the support of chief Daniel Oju Kalio of okrika. The participation of Kalio was seen by the Alode people as a devastating factor against them. One of the indegenes of Alode, Olaka Kate Akaraolu openly challenged Kalio that he was surpressing Alode people and that he should withdraw his support from Alesa since he was not an Eleme man. This annoyed chief Kalio who had great influence at that time. He arrested Olaka kate Akaraolu, charged and convicted by him and then sent to Okrika Native court where he was sentenced to Degema prison. There he came in contact with REV. Sylvanus Macarty from Bonny who often came to Degema prison to preach. He reported his plight to the Reverend who forwarded his report to Arcdeacon Samuel Crowther who was incharge of Degema prison.After three months at Degema prison, he was transfered to Bonny prison where he completed his full sentence of eight months. With the assistance of Rev macarty, olaka Kate was ferried in a canoe through the creeks to Alode by a canoe man.
Olaka kate narrated his story and contact with Rev Macarty as well as his link with Archdeacon Samuel Crowther. Alode people were happy to learn that there were people more civilized than Kalio and the okrikans. Later a delegation led by Olaka Kate Akaraolu was dispatched to Bonny to solicit for their support in their land dispute against Alesa who were enjoying the full support of the okrikans. Alode people had gone to Bonny to ask for arms and amonitions and also for the full support of Bonny people, but they were given the Holy Bible as the greatest weapon inwhich they can use for fighting their enemy. Mr Hezekiah George Pepple, a local preacher from Perekule House in Grand Bonny was appointed to open a church in Alode. He arrived Alode in 1910 and a small church was built by the eager villagers and christened it ST Stephens Anglican Church Alode. The entire community gave the new church a great boost as a means through which they would defeat Alesa in their land dispute. The establishment of the church in Alode in 1910 also led to the establishment of the first school; St Stephens school Alode as well as the court of Alode.
This is the dawn of civilization in Elemeland.

The church held her centenary celebration in the year 2010.

His Grace, Most Rev ICO Kattey,
Dean,church of Nigeria,
ArchBishop, Niger Delta province and
Bishop, Diocese of Niger Delta North of the Anglican communion hails from ALODE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by anibi9674: 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2013
So my pple gave ur pple xtianity. Iz all gud. D pple dat were exporting xtianity 2 other villages r holding fast 2 dia traditiöns thus hindering massive development in d aera. U did nt tell us who wön d war. 4 sure i knw alesa pple 2 b openn eye pple. Eg akudinma

1 Like

Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by JonahOkpabi: 6:51pm On Nov 16, 2013
anibi9674: So my pple gave ur pple xtianity. Iz all gud. D pple dat were exporting xtianity 2 other villages r holding fast 2 dia traditiöns thus hindering massive development in d aera. U did nt tell us who wön d war. 4 sure i knw alesa pple 2 b openn eye pple. Eg akudinma
A rival church was planted at Nchia in the year 1912. That is the Holy Trinity Church. A proper boundary was also made in the colonial era which led to the end of the war. In those days, many communities which first had assess to christianity rejected it. The Alodemites were privilege to accept it becos of the circumstances as at then. Who is the Akudinma that u are refering to? Can u say a bit about her?

1 Like

Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by goldenbrown: 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2013
iv be planning to do a review of christianity and the oldest churches in Niger Delta. I tot first of the church in Bonny, Buguma or okrika, but i think your post about the church in Alode is more literary, historical and backed with dates. I'll seek for your permission Sir. Your ink is thicker than mine
Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by JonahOkpabi: 9:25am On Nov 18, 2013
goldenbrown: iv be planning to do a review of christianity and the oldest churches in Niger Delta. I tot first of the church in Bonny, Buguma or okrika, but i think your post about the church in Alode is more literary, historical and backed with dates. I'll seek for your permission Sir. Your ink is thicker than mine
most Noble Goldenbrown, thanks for d time it took u in reading this piece and for seeking my permission before publishing it elsewhere. Id like u to contact me via facebook (Jonah Okpabi) for easy communication. Gracias sire
Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by dejadinma23: 8:39am On Feb 19, 2015
I wonder why ambi would mention my name here when i was not mentioned in d story or history above......i dnt knw you so why
the name calling?
Re: The First Church In Eleme by Jonah Okpabi by anibi9674: 10:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
dejadinma23:
I wonder why ambi would mention my name here when i was not mentioned in d story or history above......i dnt knw you so why
the name calling?
janet welcome to nairaland . u can only pretend not to me but for sure dia is only one anibi nd only one bonny boy lolz . Hw hv u been ? never knew u would stumble into dis thread oneday.

(1) (Reply)

Kenji Goto's Jesus Tweets Go Viral After His Execution At The Hands Of ISIS / My Experience In One Of The Latter Reign Churches / Eartum Vs Jehovah (who Sounds More Sensible?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.