Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group (4787 Views)

Photo News: Report Of Senate Committee On Ethic And Public Pettiton On Amaechi / Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 / Nigeria's Enterprising Five-to-nine Work Ethic- BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by alfredo1(m): 10:22pm On Nov 16, 2013
LIFE OF THE ETHNIC MINORITY IN MY NATION: A QUICK LOOK INTO THE ADARA ETHNIC GROUP.
For some time now, the Hausa, Yoruba and igbo ethnic groups are the names mentioned as far as ethnicity in Nigeria is concern. One tend to wonder why a nation that is said to composed of over 250 distinct ethnic groups is so reduced.
We may tend to consider population, political influence, etc of the individual ethnic groups as the basis for streamlining the diverse ethnicity of the most populous black nation of the world into just three. It is unarguably an established fact that in terms of population, political influence, etc., the three aforementioned ethnic groups far outweighed – each ethnic group considered individually- the so-called minorities. This however does not warrant the streamlining of over 250 ethnic groups to three as doing so is denying the existence of the so called minorities who of course constitute a reasonable percentage of the entire population of this great nation.
As someone who is not from the three aforementioned ethnic groups finds it disturbing when even national television and radio stations keep echoing “Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba”. These are institutions that are expected to know too well about Nigeria. In my opinion such acts depicts their ignorance of what truly Nigeria is.
Considering the fact that there are numerous ethnic groups and the aforementioned advantage of the three aforementioned ethnic groups over others, it will be time (when spoken) and space( when written) consuming to start mentioning all over 250 ethnics groups. I therefore suggest that the phrase “hausa, igbo, Yoruba and others” be adopted henceforth.
A QUICK LOOK INTO THE ADARA ETHNIC GROUP.
I know what has been going through the minds of most readers of this thread is “what the Bleep is this one saying?”, “which fucking ethnic group is this one from?”
To address the second possible question, I wish to take to a ride into the adara ethnic group while being as concise as possible.
Introduction / History
The Kadara (also Azuwa, Ada, Adara, Ajuwa,
Azuah, Ajuah) people make up one of the
largest ethnic groups in southern Kaduna, an
area south of the present state of Kaduna in
Nigeria.
Where are they located?
A great number of this ethnic group is found
in the eastern part of Minna, the capital of
Niger State, with a high concentration of
them in the northern part of Abuja, the
capital of Nigeria, with three different
locations: Imesiwaa, Imesiyo, Imesiyaa.
Kadara land covers an extensive area of
about 8,090 square kilometers. There is an
estimated population of about 3.9 million
people according to the 1973 census
(National archives, Kaduna 1977).
Because of the teeming population of this
ethnic group, the Kaduna state government
recently created two new chiefdoms in
Kadara land with Kachia and Kajuru as their
headquarters.
What are their lives like?
The Kadara people are an ethnic group that
enjoys living together in small villages as
their settlements, with the organization of
administration based on the village settling.
They are great farmers and hunters.
Among the common and most stable food
crops grown are Guinea corn, millet, maize,
rice, cotton, groundnuts, tobacco, sugar cane,
ginger, yams, beans and soy beans as the
main cash crops. Another important aspect
of agriculture engaged in by the Kadara is
animals rearing such as cattle, sheep, goats,
pigs and poultry.
The historical origin of this people (Kadara)
in Nigeria has not yet been fully ascertained
and documented, and until that is done, one
can depend only on oral tradition to
understand how they came to occupy their
present territories.
One tradition traces the origin of the Kadara
to the Dala Hills in Kano State. Another oral
tradition maintains that they (especially the
Kadara of Ankuwa) migrated from the area
around the Plateau Hills, west of Plateau
state Nigeria to their present settlement.
Temple, a historian, maintains that little is
known of their origin and history, beyond the
facts that they have inhabited their present
territories from centuries ago, and the
mention of the Beri-Beri invasion and
conquest of Kajuru. (Temple C. L., Notes on
the tribes of the northern Nigeria, London
1962 .179)
One thing interesting about the two traditions
of the history of the Kadara people is that
both trace their origin to the Hills of Dala
and Plateau. It is little wonder then that
areas presently occupied by them are around
the Hills and mountainous regions.
What are their beliefs?
The Kadara people believed in the existence
of a supreme being, creator of the universe.
He could be reached through much lesser
spirits found in the ancestral world, spirits of
certain animals, stones and a host of
impersonal forces. Also living among the
Kadara are adherents to both Christianity and
Islam.
What are their needs?
The Kadara need to be set free from injustice
and rule of evil, because these two prevail
when good people do nothing.
OYA NA, UR COMMENTS. MY FELLOW MINORS I HOPE U LEAVE ME ALONE ON THIS O.
Source: some facts and figures were culled from Wikipedia.
Godwin Alfred.

3 Likes

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by IdomaLikita: 8:57am On Nov 17, 2013
Nice 1 Bro! Too Bad our leaders don't know d Damage of Assimilation! UNESCO is leading Efforts to protect minority ethnic groups from Cultural extermination. But our mumu leaders r busy eating scraps from bigger ethnic groups to bother!

2 Likes

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by Afam4eva(m): 9:00am On Nov 17, 2013
How come i've never heard of an Ethnic group called "Adara" considering the fact that according to you, they make up is over 3 million of the population of Nigeria. Wouldn't that make them to be competing with the likes of Efik/Ibibio and Ijaw? I seriously doubt the population you ascribed to your ethnic group.

That being said, i think you're right as it pertains to the tripod that Nigeria is always qualified with. Never have i heard where a country demotes other ethnic groups no matter how little to the background and highlight the 3 largest ones. I think the whole WAZOBIA moniker should be expunged with immediate effect.
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by kettykin: 9:03am On Nov 17, 2013
At 3.8m they are bigger than TIv! Idoma, efic, margi okirika, calabari, ishan, ikwere, ogoni, but the 3.8m might not be correct, they might not have prominent retired soldiers who fought against igbos and they might not be noise makers but they still have the national conference to
Resolve their issue of invisibility and un recognition

2 Likes

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by Pistolx(m): 11:07am On Nov 17, 2013
Adara abi kadara,those burukutu beer parlour warrios grin,,

1 Like

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by alfredo1(m): 12:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
Pistolx: Adara abi kadara,those burukutu beer parlour warrios grin,,
Pistolx: Adara abi kadara,those burukutu beer parlour warrios grin,,
[quote author=Pistolx]Adara abi kadara,those burukutu beer parlour warrios grin,,[/quote
I want to believe u sip some bkt b4 commenting or probably from the wazobia groups
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by Orjioorji(f): 12:31pm On Nov 17, 2013
Happy to read this on our great nairaland l love kadara people i stay at kateri a kadara town. I enjoy their foods they are great farmers and l love their arashe.

1 Like

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by mensdept: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ok so theres a group of folks called Adara. Now let everyone right something about their group and clap for themselves.

Abeg we need light for this country
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by Almaiga: 7:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
Op, nice article about Adara peaople.

1 Like

Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by JoseRaji(m): 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2015
I just saw this piece, and I must comment, it's an interesting piece. your writeup is nice... my fiancée prompted me to look her people up. and yes, I'm impressed, and very satisfied
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by phiszo(m): 8:32pm On Feb 06, 2015
JoseRaji:
I just saw this piece, and I must comment, it's an interesting piece. your writeup is nice... my fiancée prompted me to look her people up. and yes, I'm impressed, and very satisfied
fiancee? shocked cheesy
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 06, 2015
One things is that while ethnic minority tribes in North are becoming extincts and endangered those in the south are thriving.
Today I was discussing with one woman from Adamawa State she was telling me she aint Hausa or Fulani, that she has her own tribe and she is they are all Christians.

I dnt know shaa
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by JoseRaji(m): 7:59am On Feb 12, 2015
phiszo:

fiancee? shocked cheesy

Philip. yes, fiancée
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by phiszo(m): 5:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
JoseRaji:

Philip. yes, fiancée
okay. cool
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:50pm On Feb 12, 2015
Brb
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by jay89(m): 10:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
Pistolx:
Adara abi kadara,those burukutu beer parlour warrios grin,,
U most b high on sumtin Cheap. Dan Iska
Re: Life Of Ethnic Minority: A Peep Into The Adara Ethic Group by naijaking1: 11:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
Very heart breaking to read about yet another northern minority group struggling to survive Othman Dan Fodio s legacy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

REVEALED:COAS Kenneth Minimah To Declare Interim Military Govt If Buhari Wins / When You Call Nigeria President Dull You Need To Check Your Brain / One Question To All These "Buhari Is Jubrin From Sudan" Fellas!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.