Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,586 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Marriage Proposal Without A Ring - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage Proposal Without A Ring (25484 Views)

This Lady Did All These To Her Man And Still Got A Ring! (photo) / Marriage proposal that Sent A Lady under the table (Photos, Video) / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by pkween(f): 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
Abee79: I proposed marriage to my wife over the phone because of the distance between us. yes, WITHOUT A RING. We've been HAPPILY married for three years.... cool
*Lesson learnt: NO MATTER HOW GLAMOROUS A [WEDDING OR ENGAGEMENT] RING IS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCE(s) IN WHICH IT WAS PRESENTED, IT IS USELESS AND IMPORTENT WHERE LOVE IS NOT SUPPORTED WITH UNCOMPROMISING COMMITMENT TO MAKE THE RELATIONSHIP WORK
Hum,I was also proposed to over the phone with the words of his mouth,we have planned our wedding ceremony.Hum,ladies should think more of what they can put into the marriage to make it work,the ceremony u are anxious about would only last for minutes and the rest wld be story,it seems to be like ceremonial competion thses days.What then should be said about the deeperlife members who do not use rings for wedding ceremony let alone engagement.For christ sake,giving of ring is a borrowed culture.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
Moukafoam:

Please where is it written in the Koran or Bible that a man must propose to a girl with a ring? undecided

After all you will hide the ring if a better suitor comes around tongue
so you only do what's in the bible right? You drive a car? You own a fone? You a member of NL? Are all these written in the bible

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by pkween(f): 1:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
And for how long should the engagement ring be worn?I think that should be a question for another day.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by jaybee3(m): 1:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain: @HisRib
Pls where do u reside Naija or Yankee

She is from the congo

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Eberex(m): 2:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
idrezee: ..........and I tot I v seen dem all #shocked# someone u luv propose wit a ring and u'll keep it under ur bed incase it'll drive oda suitors away, goodness! It means u'll b accommodating oda suitors even after u v said YES 2 his proposal den, dats bad and u know it. Why'll u even collect a ring from somebody u doubt will marry u? "The ring'll chase away other suitors" a grown woman just wrote dat. M not better dan u but pls change, dats 2 bad. God pls help me and my fwendz not 2 fall into wrong hands.

amen o! O boy this na anoda dimension o! Cold just catch me after readind anitank view
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
jay bee:

She is from the congo

No I am not. Why is my idendity so important to you people? I keep getting asked where I'm from on every thread & forced to make something up.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 3:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
pkween: And for how long should the engagement ring be worn?I think that should be a question for another day.

Normally, it should be worn along with the wedding band. So, "forever" will be the answer to that question.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by anitank(f): 5:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
pkween: And for how long should the engagement ring be worn?I think that should be a question for another day.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by swidy33: 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]De Ring or Luv? embarassedDe Ring or Luv?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by swidy33: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
:DWhich is more important?
De-Ring OR Love?
Which is more important?
De-Ring OR Love?
Which is more important?
De-Ring OR Love?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 5:49pm On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

No I am not. Why is my idendity so important to you people? I keep getting asked where I'm from on every thread & forced to make something up.

The reason is not far fetched, ur views are not on point, in this particular thread u sound like someone raised based on the western culture, which by the way is foolishness to us here, with few exceptions though

You're supporting something that is alien to us, & not just supporting it but advising someone to flee just because there is no ring, that is foolishness dearie!!
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain:

The reason is not far fetched, ur views are not on point, in this particular thread u sound like someone raised based on the western culture, which by the way is foolishness to us here, with few exceptions though

You're supporting something that is alien to us, & not just supporting it but advising someone to flee just because there is no ring, that is foolishness dearie!!

If the whole engagement ring was so "alien" to Africans, why would this young lady find it odd that her man proposed ringless? If proposing ringless was a common thing in Africa, this topic would've never been a discussion in the first place.

Stop trying to look for reasons to justify your cheapness. If the girl wants a ring, get her a ring. That simple.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by anitank(f): 7:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
Eberex:

amen o! O boy this na anoda dimension o! Cold just catch me after readind anitank view
Lol! Ndo tongue
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by soladollar(m): 7:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

You see ignorance! Since when is giving your girl an engagement ring a "white man" thing? This has to be the most ignorant thing I've heard all day.

Africans always belittling themselves and giving others credit for things they don't even deserve. Next thing you're gonna say is, wearing a "wedding dress" is a white man thing too. So the woman should just come to her wedding in every day attire.

The ignorance is astounding. Na wa for naija oooo!

wen ur ancestors got married, dem use rings? Its an imported tradition jor

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by mercurie(f): 8:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
Well, my husband asked me 2 marry him last year Dec "without" a ring. February, he finished the traditional requirements and now we are legally married. He told me engagement ring is not promising. And I have a school mate(secondary) that was proposed to and she wore d ring 4 like 2years, now they are nt 2geda again. Also my coursemate was proposed to and after a while she stopped wearing d ring and she got married immediately 2 some1 else. My POINT is that with or without a ring, once ur man is serious and sincere the marriage will be a reality.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
mercurie: Well, my husband asked me 2 marry him last year Dec "without" a ring. February, he finished the traditional requirements and now we are legally married. He told me engagement ring is not promising. And I have a school mate(secondary) that was proposed to and she wore d ring 4 like 2years, now they are nt 2geda again. Also my coursemate was proposed to and after a while she stopped wearing d ring and she got married immediately 2 some1 else. My POINT is that with or without a ring, once ur man is serious and sincere the marriage will be a reality.
so you don't wear any ring now?
PS: no offense, their is a difference between being "asked" and being "proposed to".
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by anitank(f): 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2013
gcfr.com:
so you don't wear any ring now?
PS: no offense, their is a difference between being "asked" and being "proposed to".
Please what is the difference??
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
anitank:
Please what is the difference??
Ask is seen as a recommendation and an order. "I ask you to do this"
Proposal is the most formal. You propose to your
girlfriend that the pair of you get married; it's
unlikely that you would "ask" the same thing.
This is why researchers write proposals for research.
You can also ask google too. cheesy
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by anitank(f): 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
gcfr.com:

Ask is seen as a recommendation and an order. "I ask you to do this"
Proposal is the most formal. You propose to your
girlfriend that the pair of you get married; it's
unlikely that you would "ask" the same thing.
This is why researchers write proposals for research.
You can also ask google too. cheesy
Well IMO...
When a man proposes to a lady, it means he is "asking" her to marry him OR "asking" for her hand in marriage, either way she can choose to accept or decline.

I don't have to google, it's just pure common sense

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Neemcie(f): 12:25am On Nov 20, 2013
DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND,
Pls there shud be a secret photographer that'll capture that beautiful moment....
And @topic.... A ring is important, but mine shuddnt be compulsorily be a wedn band... It can be anything nice, shaped like a circle, and fitted, then he'll slip it into my finger, with the genuine intentions...heheh
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by tolulope407: 6:23am On Nov 20, 2013
HisRib:

I can't believe this man proposed without a ring. Who does that?

Every woman deserves to have an engagement ring. If he can't afford it, he shouldn't be thinking of marriage in the first place.

Sweetheart, my advice to you is, call it off and tell him you want a ring & if he won't give you one, go find another man who will have enough love and respect for you to give you one.

Him not having a ring is NOT a good sign. Just think of all the other things he will disregard once you guys are married. RUN while you can!

I really now see why some of you girls get more broken hearted, because you were thinking so much on ring. HisRib, this love issue streams from the heart, not from ring. If I were you, I would want to deal more with the genuineness of the heart, than a pretentious passionate prostrate proposal!
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 20, 2013
anitank:
Well IMO...
When a man proposes to a lady, it means he is "asking" her to marry him OR "asking" for her hand in marriage, either way she can choose to accept or decline.

I don't have to google, it's just pure common sense
its not common sense,rather ur opinion, which you re entitled to anyways. Enjoy.
undecided
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 8:05am On Nov 20, 2013
HisRib:

If the whole engagement ring was so "alien" to Africans, why would this young lady find it odd that her man proposed ringless? If proposing ringless was a common thing in Africa, this topic would've never been a discussion in the first place.

Stop trying to look for reasons to justify your cheapness. If the girl wants a ring, get her a ring. That simple.

I'm sorry, I never knew that the OP's lifestyle was an epitome of the african culture!!

Truth be told, both of you belong to the same boat, I pasted an excerpt from Wikipedia on the origin of the engagement ring, yet u have refuse to see that it's not an African thing

Pls I'm not cheap, I know what I have done for my partner & what i still plan to do, even if the ring was free or N500, I won't buy it for her

Why should my partner place such importance on something so trivial when there are serious issues to deal with

Funnily, I told her about this thread and ur
Views, her question was will the engagement ring guaranty security or happiness??

bottom line: whatever rocks ur boat dearie
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2013
Do men wear engagement rings?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 9:42am On Nov 20, 2013
ngozievergreen: Do men wear engagement rings?

In Nordic countries, engagement rings are worn by both men and women.

In some countries it is common for both men and women wear engagement rings. In many Lutheran sects often the man wears an engagement ring. Sometimes, the engagement ring eventually serves as the wedding ring for the man. In Brazil, for example, the groom and bride-to-be usually wear a plain wedding band on the right hand during the course of their engagement. After the wedding, the band is moved to the left hand.

In Argentina, it is also known for the groom and bride-to-be to wear a plain silver band on the left hand while engaged. Then, after the wedding a silver band is either replaced with the wedding ring or moved to the right hand.

Source:wikipedia
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 10:09am On Nov 20, 2013
therealMcCain:

I'm sorry, I never knew that the OP's lifestyle was an epitome of the african culture!!

Truth be told, both of you belong to the same boat, I pasted an excerpt from Wikipedia on the origin of the engagement ring, yet u have refuse to see that it's not an African thing

Pls I'm not cheap, I know what I have done for my partner & what i still plan to do, even if the ring was free or N500, I won't buy it for her

Why should my partner place such importance on something so trivial when there are serious issues to deal with

Funnily, I told her about this thread and ur
Views, her question was will the engagement ring guaranty security or happiness??

bottom line: whatever rocks ur boat dearie

It doesn't guarantee anything. Just like ringless doesn't guarantee anything either.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Tinkybabe(f): 10:53am On Nov 20, 2013
Just like many have said,an engagement ring is significant.It is the evidence or proof of a proposal..We know how signicant proofs are these days to establish or confirm a worded agreement or claim.It has to be physical,something that can be seen.

Now why a ring?A ring is a round object having no start or end point and this symbolises life eternal.When a man extends a ring to the woman he purposes to spend the rest of his life with,he's assuring her of his eternal love for..a love that has no end(whether he stays true to this is subjective)

Why it is given by the man and not exchanged by both parties?proposal is the prelim stage,an introductory stage.He is the one doing the proposal-all he requires from the woman is a positive reply,her acceptance.He brought up the deal,he has to prove the seriousness or sincerity of his proposal with something physical ,a ring.

The deal is then completely sealed by both parties when they exchange wedding rings

But really,this was started by someone and has been practised over generations so it's a tradition..if you ask me though,I think it's logical.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by raficki87(m): 11:37am On Nov 20, 2013
HisRib:

A car? If I were her, I would've asked you to take it back & use the money to get me a ring instead.
why didnt anybody quote this a ring and a car? and choose a ring. so after the approx. one month giddy feeling of having a ring and having a car that brings comfort and ends the hassle of flying molue everyday. i hope u know wat oppurtunity cost is ring(shorttime joy) and car (joy maybe nt as mush as the ring and also comfort,less stress,ac in holdup etc),, well if i'm the husband i'll get the ring for you organize boiz to steal it when yoi are trekking back on the street home pet you , buy a 1k ring(since i now know its important to u)for you to manage and in the next month buy the car for you. cuz this clearly is one of the instances that a spouse knows beta
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 12:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
raficki87: why didnt anybody quote this a ring and a car? and choose a ring. so after the approx. one month giddy feeling of having a ring and having a car that brings comfort and ends the hassle of flying molue everyday. i hope u know wat oppurtunity cost is ring(shorttime joy) and car (joy maybe nt as mush as the ring and also comfort,less stress,ac in holdup etc),, well if i'm the husband i'll get the ring for you organize boiz to steal it when yoi are trekking back on the street home pet you , buy a 1k ring(since i now know its important to u)for you to manage and in the next month buy the car for you. cuz this clearly is one of the instances that a spouse knows beta

1K ring? I would never wear a 1K ring. I deserve a lot more than that. If my supposed future husband shows up with a ring less than 10K, I don't think he knows me well, therefore us getting engaged is probably not a great option.

I have all the qualities required to be an exceptional wife. I'm worth every penny.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
HisRib:

1K ring? I would never wear a 1K ring. I deserve a lot more than that. If my supposed future husband shows up with a ring less than 10K, I don't think he knows me well, therefore us getting engaged is probably not a great option.

I have all the qualities required to be an exceptional wife. I'm worth every penny.

Wow, i'm intrigued by your thinking pattern, I'll like to know you, just on an intellectual level
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 2:21pm On Nov 23, 2013
therealMcCain:

Wow, i'm intrigued by your thinking pattern, I'll like to know you, just on an intellectual level

Lol
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Eberex(m): 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
therealMcCain:

yeah right!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Guys Its High Time You Stopped Making Bad Generalization About Women. / My Girlfriend Of 3 Months Is Cheating. / Wofai Fada Hot In "Wonder Woman" Themed Bikini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.