Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday (2351 Views)

ASUU/NEC Meeting Postponed Till SATURDAY / ASUU Strike Latest News: ASUU Demands N1.5tr To End Strike / Aasu Call Off Strike Latest News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by macdanpets(m): 7:22am On Nov 18, 2013
SOURCE: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=132407

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) may hold its postponed National Executive Council (NEC) meeting on Friday to decide whether or not to suspend the indefinite strike it began since July 2.

A top official of ASUU, who preferred anonymity, disclosed this to Daily Independent in a telephone interview on Sunday.

He was, however, not certain if the NEC will still be held at the Bayero University, Kano where it was initially proposed to hold.

The leadership of the union postponed the scheduled Kano NEC meeting following the demise of one its key members, Festus Iyayi, who died last Tuesday in a ghastly motor accident on his way to Kano for the postponed NEC meeting.

The source noted that the union members are still grieved and are pre-occupied with the burial arrangement of the late Professor of Business Administration, who died along the Abuja-Lokoja highway in an accident caused by the convoy of Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada.

The source debunked speculations in the social media that ASUU has jettisoned its NEC indefinitely, saying the union postponed the NEC meeting as a mark of honour and respect for the late Iyayi.

According to him, all ASUU officials that were supposed to participate in the NEC meeting last week Wednesday had actually gathered at the Bayero University, Kano, but for the unfortunate accident which claimed the life of Iyayi and disrupted the agenda already set for the meeting.

Meanwhile, Supervisory Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, also at the weekend led a delegation of government on a condolence visit to the residence of the late academician in Benin City.

Wike assured that the Federal Government would diligently implement all the agreements it reached with ASUU in the course of the negotiations with President Goodluck Jonathan.

Those in the delegation of the minister include Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Julius Okojie, and some top officials of Federal Ministry of Education.

They also visited the injured ASUU National Welfare Officer, Ngozi Iloh, who is said to be responding to treatment at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin.

In a statement in Abuja on Sunday, the Minister’s Special Assistant (Media), Simeon Nwakaudu, said Wike solicited the permission of the family to allow the Federal Government participate in the burial ceremony of the former ASUU president.

“President Goodluck Jonathan and the entire administration are deeply pained by the sudden death of the former ASUU National President who played a key part in the negotiations between ASUU and the Federal Government.

“We recall the significant contributions of Professor Iyayi during the 13-hour negotiations between President Jonathan and ASUU, which led to a headway in the discussions.

“I want to assure the family that the ideals that the late scholar fought and died for will never be forgotten. The Federal Government will diligently implement the decisions reached in the course of negotiations with ASUU.

“The Federal Ministry of Education wishes to be a part of the burial of this erudite scholar and we seek the permission of the family to participate in the burial. I pray God to grant the family the strength to bear this unfortunate loss,” Wike was quoted to have said.

Oriabure Iyayi, son of the late ASUU president, was said to have thanked President Jonathan, the Minister of Education and all Nigerians for commiserating with the family at their moment of grief.

A relative of the deceased, Prof. Robert Ebiwele, informed the minister that the burial will hold between December 5 and 9.

He assured that the family would inform the Federal Ministry of Education on the burial arrangements.

Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by buoye1(m): 7:38am On Nov 18, 2013
Top official dt has no name......Mtcheeew
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by abdulaz: 7:44am On Nov 18, 2013
i don't give a damn anymore.
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 18, 2013
before i would have been excited, but right now i dont care anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Eracee: 8:03am On Nov 18, 2013
who do u tink u can deceive anymore?to hell wit u and ASUU.I dn't care about school anymore.mtweeeeeeeeeew
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Sodiq3(m): 8:03am On Nov 18, 2013
dis osundefender no dy tire?huun
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by spunkyuch(m): 8:07am On Nov 18, 2013
abeg mak una allow us to recover from the effect of d past rumours before bringin up anoda 1. fingers crossed as dix poeple de joke wit persin future
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by abfan(m): 8:08am On Nov 18, 2013
another lie again..na wa oOoo
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by teemama20(f): 8:08am On Nov 18, 2013
I don't trust Osundefender bcus dey wia d one dat gave us sat fake news
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Donpoker9(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2013
Mtcheeeeew!Mtcheeeeew!Mtcheeeeew!
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Vladm(m): 8:15am On Nov 18, 2013
I C
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by emekakelvin(m): 8:19am On Nov 18, 2013
I would only call this news false,fake or a cause to raise public indignation when it turns out to make no end!
Nevertheless, i gladly embrace the news just like a mother would do with her child towards the bosom.
The strike is over in sight!
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Bakare19: 8:24am On Nov 18, 2013
Another one pleading anonymity again.This people no dey tire. .
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by kennethokey(m): 8:29am On Nov 18, 2013
D news is true, i heard it dis morning on newspaper headlines on Capital Fm-Abuja(Radio Nigeria). It is on d National dailies.
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by fabby26(m): 8:33am On Nov 18, 2013
OK, nau..........We hear!!
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Sodiq3(m): 8:36am On Nov 18, 2013
when them go do throat meeting nw?

1 Like

Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 18, 2013
E be like say them wan to tell us, another story again oo.,e be like say them want to do,another decieving again ooo
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by lymelyte(m): 9:11am On Nov 18, 2013
Dis osun defenders should be scrapped by nans with immediate effect.They are always fond of displaying false news..
Na dem always be d first to update fake news.. mk dem change dier name to osun offenders now!
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by lymelyte(m): 9:11am On Nov 18, 2013
T
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 18, 2013
ASUU please naa?

Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Mannylex(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2013
LOL @ the link provided. Osun defender. Fake! Students should just go and relax ok, get a good job and have peace of mind.
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by drhammed: 9:54am On Nov 18, 2013
ASUU pls dnt resum by Decemba ooo ,its already a Festive preriod ,cal off by Dec 23 so dat stdt wl resum by Jan6 2014
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by Femistico(m): 11:11am On Nov 18, 2013
kennethokey: D news is true, i heard it dis morning on newspaper headlines on Capital Fm-Abuja(Radio Nigeria). It is on d National dailies.
I knew u will said u heard it on radio...a lot of pple are saying dey heard it on 91.5 fm of ph, 82.5fm of abuja etc on sat dat d meeting is already holding meanwhile its fake...mtchewee
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by odizeey(m): 11:15am On Nov 18, 2013
Femistico:
I knew u will said u heard it on radio...a lot of pple are saying dey heard it on 91.5 fm of ph, 82.5fm of abuja etc on sat dat d meeting is already holding meanwhile its fake...mtchewee
channels still talk dat Saturday own.
Until I hear he(fagee isaa) said 'We have agreed to call off d strike',anything else is false
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by dayo23(f): 11:29am On Nov 18, 2013
odizeey: channels still talk dat Saturday own.
Until I hear he(fagee isaa) said 'We have agreed to call off d strike',anything else is false
Channels tv only said ASUU "May" hold it NEC Meeting on saturday and not "Will" the difference here is "may and will" One is uncertain and the other is certain, it was a conditional statement. well jst my opinion sha oo
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by ignis: 11:31am On Nov 18, 2013
buoye1: Top official dt has no name......Mtcheeew
As Usual
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by PrinceJustice(m): 11:52am On Nov 18, 2013
Osun defenders and their Top Officials (always pleading abi na begging Anonimity)
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by walad4yhu(m): 11:56am On Nov 18, 2013
IDGAF!
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by odizeey(m): 12:10pm On Nov 18, 2013
dayo23: Channels tv only said ASUU "May" hold it NEC Meeting on saturday and not "Will" the difference here is "may and will" One is uncertain and the other is certain, it was a conditional statement. well jst my opinion sha oo
whr did u see wiLl here,if dem tlk nw u go say ppl no mature,channel should hv nt said anything if dey were nt certain,in dis ASUU case will and may is d same tyn o,
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by eddiegate(m): 12:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
Wetin happen to mr impeccable?
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by odizeey(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
Like play like play dem go do may hold may hold enta new year,even reach easther sef
Re: Strike Latest: ASUU Nec Meeting Now To Hold On Friday by U235weapongrade: 12:39pm On Nov 18, 2013
Osun Defenders coming up against ASUU strikers..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rare Photo Of The First Man In Space Posing With Two Nigerians / Is 2018 NECO Registration Form Out ? - Easy Guidelines To Score A's In Neco 2018 / What Do You Know About The Secretive Cobra Pearl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.