Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear (5681 Views)

How To Drive A Car In Reverse Gear 5 Steps (with Pictures) / Pls Help: My Golf 3 Auto Gearbox Won't Select Anymore / Problem: My Reverse Gear Gives A Scary Jerk With A Sound. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 12:37pm On Nov 18, 2013
I refilled my gearbox oil. There is also something wrong with my radioter it mixed with oil. Can you please help me.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by kuntash: 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
vague .....

are you relating your comment with the subject of your post? or they are supposed to be together?
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 1:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
They are going together, just fixed my radioter oil cooling system as well.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
kuntash: vague .....

are you relating your comment with the subject of your post? or they are supposed to be together?
Hi kuntash
I am still waiting for you to come back to me please. Can you help me . It all goes together with my subject. The radiater was fixed and know the bmw only select park neutral and reverse but won't go into drive etc.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by kuntash: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2013
where is thy location? are you in Lagos?
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 11:45am On Nov 19, 2013
No, I'm from south africa lol, was googling on the web, grin just looking for advise cause mechanics here are not so wise on bmw.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 2:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
lollyhay: No, I'm from south africa lol, was googling on the web, grin just looking for advise cause mechanics here are not so wise on bmw.
thought they have a lot of BMW clubs over there...with good Mechanics to attend to them...
what year is this BMW?
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 3:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
smiley1993 model is the bmw
No I'm staying in a small country uitenhage and here are not so much of those guys.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
lollyhay: smiley1993 model is the bmw
No I'm staying in a small country uitenhage and here are not so much of those guys.
okay.
Sorry let me take you back a little. How did it start, I didn't understand what you stated earlier...thats exactly my model...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 5:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
It starts like this, firstly the radioter mixed with oil and we noticed that, but drive the car like that and then the gears begin to engage when we drive the car when it cool down it will select gears again, then we took it to refill atf and after that we drive the car and then the gear went into reverse gear only, then we fixed the radiater because we found out it mixed with transmission oil after that we try to drive the car it only select neutral, park and reverse gears.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
lollyhay: It starts like this, firstly the radioter mixed with oil and we noticed that, but drive the car like that and then the gears begin to engage when we drive the car when it cool down it will select gears again, then we took it to refill atf and after that we drive the car and then the gear went into reverse gear only, then we fixed the radiater because we found out it mixed with transmission oil after that we try to drive the car it only select neutral, park and reverse gears.
hey sorry for coming back late,
I am not an expert, hoping Mr. Siena would see this.
but transmission fluid mixing with coolant is suprising to me, sure your top gasket is still intact (if your sure it's your trans fluid)?
if I were you, I'd take out the radiator and thoroughly clean it out...i think the transmission has a cooling system linked with the radiator...check this out if it is in tact too. I discussed with my Mechanic about this...i think there's a breakdown between your transmission cooler and your radiator...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 7:20am On Nov 20, 2013
Hi
The radioter is fixed and it was transmission oil that mixed with it. Its not top gasket because the engine is not heating up, only problem I have now is that my gears don't select only reverse, neutral, park. ( I wonder if it is not the cable link with my gearbox).
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 8:38am On Nov 20, 2013
In the e36, and in most cars, there's the transmission cooling system...it located near the radiator
see this picture below, can you find it in your engine?

Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2013
One of those pipes functions to return gear oil from the transmission to the radiator,where the water cools it, and goes back to the transmission. So the problem would possibly stem from the radiator,or the cooling ducts...i don't know...this will cause water to be mixed with your transmission fluid and affect the functioning of your car's gearbox.
what you'd possibly do is to find out the place where the oil and water mix up in these areas, thereafter flush completely your transmission fluid...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 9:18am On Nov 20, 2013
Thanx I probley must do that but I see this gear cable of my gearbox is strip(broken) of I took other bmw cable and connect it and you no what it go into drive and the other gears, but it is not the same (gear selecter cable). I have to fixed my cable now.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 9:33am On Nov 20, 2013
lollyhay: Thanx I probley must do that but I see this gear cable of my gearbox is strip(broken) of I took other bmw cable and connect it and you no what it go into drive and the other gears, but it is not the same (gear selecter cable). I have to fixed my cable now.
ok,that's good.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 10:11am On Nov 20, 2013
smileyThanx boss I must say I'm very impressed with you guys, ill let them put that cable back now and see what my bmw does. Really thankyou for your services.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 10:38am On Nov 20, 2013
lollyhay: smileyThanx boss I must say I'm very impressed with you guys, ill let them put that cable back now and see what my bmw does. Really thankyou for your services.
okay, lets know if the cable reconnection resolves the issues...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 11:17am On Nov 20, 2013
Okay... The gears are working perfect, but as soon as it reach temp... The gears are getting strum, but just glad is not gearbox problems... Going to take it to service centre now to flush the transmision oil in gearbox... Hopefuly it will be perfect after that cause will let it be filled with atf.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 11:29am On Nov 20, 2013
lollyhay: Okay... The gears are working perfect, but as soon as it reach temp... The gears are getting strum, but just glad is not gearbox problems... Going to take it to service centre now to flush the transmision oil in gearbox... Hopefuly it will be perfect after that cause will let it be filled with atf.
that's right.

1 Like

Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hi
You know what the talkconvertor in the gearbox is full of water...so I have to flush it over and over until that is gone. Isint their a other option...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2013
lollyhay: Hi
You know what the talkconvertor in the gearbox is full of water...so I have to flush it over and over until that is gone. Isint their a other option...
torque converter...
the issue is that it may likely occur if you do not ensure water does not go back to the transmission...i think flushing it properly may help, i.e,bleeding. Hasn't it been properly bled?
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
cryWhere do you bled the convertor, other thing is this there again oil in my radiater, feeling so hopeless now, cause that people didint fixed the radiater proparly. Can you send my a pic where the torque convertor should be bled, cause this mechanic wants to drop the gearbox to flush it. Is it neccesary?
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by Gluck4cars: 12:29am On Nov 21, 2013
Pls do not drop the gearbox because you will develop other complications.
Perform this procedure; It is for AUTOMATIC TRANS ONLY, but it is very delicate:
1. Remove one of those pipe in pics provided by Yungboss. The one that takes Trans fluid from Transmission to radiator. Observe the colour of fluid that comes out from this point, if it is mixed with water, Then below is the procedure...
yungboss: In the e36, and in most cars, there's the transmission cooling system...it located near the radiator
see this picture below, can you find it in your engine?
Note: you have to replace/fix the radiator which is mixing water at the point Trans fluid enters for cooling befor you proceed
2. Open the Transmission refill plug (does your model have a Trans Dipstick? then use that channel to refill) and have at least 9 litres of recommended Trans fluid. Also have someone standby on driver seat to start and switch off the car as you instruct.
3.Then start the car, you will observe the Trans fluid gushing out of the pipe in step 1.
4.Immediately commence pouring in Trans fluid as you start the car.
5.When the colour clears and is same as the fresh Trans fluid you are pouring, then ask that the car is switched off.
6. Secure/lock back the pipe in step1.
7. Gauge trans fluid level with dip stick as usual.

This is the way to remove the quantity of fluid in the Converter that is not expelled when you remove the drain plug on the tranny pan.

All the best with you repairs.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 5:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Gluck4cars: Pls do not drop the gearbox because you will develop other complications.
Perform this procedure; It is for AUTOMATIC TRANS ONLY, but it is very delicate:
1. Remove one of those pipe in pics provided by Yungboss. The one that takes Trans fluid from Transmission to radiator. Observe the colour of fluid that comes out from this point, if it is mixed with water, Then below is the procedure...
Note: you have to replace/fix the radiator which is mixing water at the point Trans fluid enters for cooling befor you proceed
2. Open the Transmission refill plug (does your model have a Trans Dipstick? then use that channel to refill) and have at least 9 litres of recommended Trans fluid. Also have someone standby on driver seat to start and switch off the car as you instruct.
3.Then start the car, you will observe the Trans fluid gushing out of the pipe in step 1.
4.Immediately commence pouring in Trans fluid as you start the car.
5.When the colour clears and is same as the fresh Trans fluid you are pouring, then ask that the car is switched off.
6. Secure/lock back the pipe in step1.
7. Gauge trans fluid level with dip stick as usual.

This is the way to remove the quantity of fluid in the Converter that is not expelled when you remove the drain plug on the tranny pan.

All the best with you repairs.
the e36 (I think most BMWs) do not have transmission dipstick, so you cannot top transmission fluid directly from the engine,or guage the level on a dipstick...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 8:33am On Nov 21, 2013
Good Day
Guys you have to take the car to a service centre if you want to put atf in I think they use a hydraulic .. To put in atf cause as boss said there is no dipstic. I took in the radiater again, I just need to know how can I take all of that oil mixed with water out of the torque convertor. I am a women so please help me, cause this mech... Here is not so brigth with bmw. I wish I stayed in your place lol.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 9:16am On Nov 21, 2013
lollyhay: Good Day
Guys you have to take the car to a service centre if you want to put atf in I think they use a hydraulic .. To put in atf cause as boss said there is no dipstic. I took in the radiater again, I just need to know how can I take all of that oil mixed with water out of the torque convertor. I am a women so please help me, cause this mech... Here is not so brigth with bmw. I wish I stayed in your place lol.
it is unfortunate that you do not have good-enough Mechanics there. What you should address first is the issue of oil getting into the radiator and mixing with the coolant,
then removing the water from your torque converter- two major issues. If you were in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria, this wouldn't have been a problem.
on the other hand, I do not know how good the converter would still be at this stage, if it is possible for the Mechanic to remove the water from it, let him do so. I'd advice that you call up a competent Mechanic...regardless of how long it takes to fix it. It is better to get it right at once, than make the mistake of employing one who would add to the problems you are already faced with...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 9:32am On Nov 21, 2013
sadOkay boss, but what is an alternative way to remove the water out of the torque convertor, cause that's the only big problem now if they can't fix my radiater I'm going to buy a new one boss. I don't want these guys to drop my gearbox, cause truly I don't trust them rather take advice from you guys then them.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 9:58am On Nov 21, 2013
lollyhay: sadOkay boss, but what is an alternative way to remove the water out of the torque convertor, cause that's the only big problem now if they can't fix my radiater I'm going to buy a new one boss. I don't want these guys to drop my gearbox, cause truly I don't trust them rather take advice from you guys then them.
I haven't had a reason to actually work on my gearbox, but to have access to the torque converter the gearbox would have to be dropped...torque converter removed and cleaned properly
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 10:07am On Nov 21, 2013
Is their no way a person can bled the convertor boss, I'm just scared this also would cause other problems by dropping the box.
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by yungboss(m): 10:37am On Nov 21, 2013
lollyhay: Is their no way a person can bled the convertor boss, I'm just scared this also would cause other problems by dropping the box.
the transmission would first be removed then the torque converter, I think it holds onto the flywheel.
its a task for the mechanic...
Re: Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear by lollyhay: 6:51pm On Nov 21, 2013
Boss
I feel like burning my bmw out realy I bougth a new radiater, but it still mixed with oil. I don't know anymore. Can it be topgasket, cause the bmw runs smooth no jerk in it. cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mercedes-benz Recalls 492,290 Cars For Accidental Deployment Of Airbag / Shipping Furniture To Nigeria. HELP!! / My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.