Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan (2005 Views)

Photos From The Burial Of The Olubadan, Samuel Odulana, In Oyo State / The Burial Arrangement For The Olubadan Oba Samuel Odulana Odugade 1 / Saliu Adetunji Is The New Olubadan Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
Can anyone list all the cheiftancy titles one must be conferred with before he becomes the Olubadan?
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by MetaPhysical: 2:20am On Nov 19, 2013
Lol. grin grin

This is funny.
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 12:25pm On Nov 19, 2013
Do you have answers?
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 12:25pm On Nov 19, 2013
MetaPhysical: Lol. grin grin

This is funny.

Do you have answers?

1 Like

Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by MetaPhysical: 7:00am On Nov 20, 2013
No, im sorry, I do not.
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by belltwelve(m): 10:28am On Nov 20, 2013
To become Olubadan, you first have to be to be elected by your extended family compound to represent them in the council of Ibadan High Chiefs.

There are two groups in the Council of High Chiefs: either you join the Balogun group or you join the Otun group. Each group has about 10 chiefs. From there you begin to climb the ladder.

With luck it may one day be your turn to become Olubadan smiley. But the first step is to win the respect of your family compound in order to be elected by them, and to do that you have to be of high moral, economic, etc., standards. Hope this helps.
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 10:40am On Nov 20, 2013
[quote author=belltwelve]

There are two groups in the Council of High Chiefs: either you join the Balogun group or you join the Otun group. Each group has about 10 chiefs. From there you begin to climb the ladder.

Yes, this does help! But I'm more interested in the steps -- I'd like to know the exact titles that lead to becoming Olubadan. Can you list all of the steps?
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by belltwelve(m): 12:15pm On Nov 20, 2013
Gimmie sometime. I have a book on the issue. Will find it and give you the titles, but it may not contain too much detail on the steps. Will see if I can find an Ibadan person to consult.
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 12:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
belltwelve: Gimmie sometime. I have a book on the issue. Will find it and give you the titles, but it may not contain too much detail on the steps. Will see if I can find an Ibadan person to consult.

Thank you, sir!
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by belltwelve(m): 1:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
Synopsis: Ok. The first thing as I said earlier is to be elected Mogajji of your compound. Then you enter the most junior post/title or step called Jagun.

The steps to take are simply to wait as higher chiefs join there ancestors, which is akin to a crown prince waiting for his dad mum to pass on, so that he can become monarch undecided.

As that happens you climb the higher steps. Averagely it takes about 35 years to complete the 23 steps (not 10(my bad).

For instance, it took the present Olubadan, Oba Odunalan 35 years to rise from the 'humble' step-title of Jagun to the eminent position of Olubadan smiley. The 23rd and last step before you become Olubadan is Balogun, who is the Olubadan in waiting. This is after step 22 (Otun Olubadan or Otun Balogun).

Advice: politics is a very short route to becoming Olubadan: former governors Rashid Ladoja is currently Ashipa , which means he is in step 20 (wow), just 3 steps to the royal crown. Former strongman of Ibadan politics, Lamidi Adedibu died as Akerun or Ekarun- step 18.

For more details read this article click http://okebadan..com/2007/08/olubadan-oba-samuel-odulana-dr-his.html. It contains the 23 steps or titles on table 1.
Re: Who Knows What It Takes To Become The Olubadan by yorubaamerican(m): 4:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
belltwelve: Synopsis: Ok. The first thing as I said earlier is to be elected Mogajji of your compound. Then you enter the most junior post/title or step called Jagun.

The steps to take are simply to wait as higher chiefs join there ancestors, which is akin to a crown prince waiting for his dad mum to pass on, so that he can become monarch undecided.

As that happens you climb the higher steps. Averagely it takes about 35 years to complete the 23 steps (not 10(my bad).

For instance, it took the present Olubadan, Oba Odunalan 35 years to rise from the 'humble' step-title of Jagun to the eminent position of Olubadan smiley. The 23rd and last step before you become Olubadan is Balogun, who is the Olubadan in waiting. This is after step 22 (Otun Olubadan or Otun Balogun).

Advice: politics is a very short route to becoming Olubadan: former governors Rashid Ladoja is currently Ashipa , which means he is in step 20 (wow), just 3 steps to the royal crown. Former strongman of Ibadan politics, Lamidi Adedibu died as Akerun or Ekarun- step 18.

For more details read this article click http://okebadan..com/2007/08/olubadan-oba-samuel-odulana-dr-his.html. It contains the 23 steps or titles on table 1.

Thanks again for your help!

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Or Ibo: Which One Is Correct / Ndi Igbo Flag / It Was A Taboo For An Ibo Man To Take His Own Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.