Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) (9155 Views)

Poll: Which of the two men is your favorite?

Will Smith: 41% (34 votes)
Denzel Washington: 58% (48 votes)
This poll has ended

Denzel And Huddah First To Be Evicted From Big Brother Africa The Chase / Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington / Chiwetel Ejiofor In Inside Man With Denzel Washington (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 11:20am On Jul 18, 2008
Question - is there an expiration date on threads? How come one thread gets locked up and others don't?

Anyhoo, this is a carry over from the last. . .locked thread.

CH3COO:

only if you explain, in sufficient detail, the motive behind your analogy between monk and avg. joe as relates to the topic. is will really that bad? cry

LMAO! No he's not that bad!

Guess I better explain.

Two guys. . . Let's call them Joey and Monty, decide to take a vow of celibacy. An admirable thing, especially in this day and age, huh?

Monty packs up and moves to a monastry on some moutain top in the west.

Joey stays in the city determined to make his celibacy work despite all the temptations he faces every day. . .

A strip joint on his way to work where the girls stand at the window in their skimpiest outfits (Joey lives by the Red District in Holland wink )

A next door neighbor, who likes to water her plants in the shortest shorts and halter-est top, giving him the come hither look every time he walks by.

A co-worker who parks her behind on his desk every day. . . the neckline of her blouse low enough so Joey won't have to stretch his neck too far.

A friend who calls him to tell him about the major babes he just scored for both of them, the lastest Pamela Anderson look alike twins. "Dude cut that celibacy shite out and get over here. Them girls are primed and ready to go!"

Thanks to the paper thin walls, he can hear his upstairs neighbor having jungle sex.

Turns on the TV to drown the moaning coming from upstairs only to gets HBO after dark (oh la la)

Picks up a magazine to read, it is Victoria Secret (his sister left it the last time she visited) and there is Tyra Banks and Gisele pillow fighting in bra & pant (Angel curves 19.99 without tax)

Every day Joey goes through this (and more, I'm just to tired to think of what else turns guys on. . . yet he remains steadfast in his commitment to celibacy. How can we compare Joey to Monty, who has locked himself away in some tower, where the closests he'll ever get to anything sexual, is two butterflies mistakenly touching as the fly by? No freaking way Jose!

When Monty comes down from the moutain top and we see how well he does in the real world. . . Then and only then should will the two be on equal footing.

And that is the end of my Avarage Joe vs. Monk Analogy.

Starring

Denzel Washington as Average Joe aka Joey (Who puts himself out there ready to face anything because he is sure of himself)

Will Smith as Monty aka Monk (Who is perfectly content in his cocoon because he's not sure how well he'll fare in the real world)

Okay, maybe the analogy was a little to much but you get the picture.

Now TALK!
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 11:28am On Jul 18, 2008
davidif:

@siskil

Quote shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry

oh my my, are you CRAAAAAZY, i don't mean to disrespect you but are you really REALLY high?? its obvious you know nothing about acting, because of someone was in a successful movie doesn't make them a great actor, geez why do you think they have never been nominated for an Academy Awards (The oscars don't lie), none of them have even won a golden globe or even a SAG award. omo, stop am o, acting is aaaaaaaa lot more than appearing in big budget movie anybody can, heck, wasn't transformers a mega hit, but it was an extremely horrible, i mean horrible movie. The plot was pathetic, the casting was just awful but that didn't stop it from being a hit. If you want to know what acting is about, go and watch the movie "malcolm X", or go read it up online, then come talk to me.

Geez, Katherine freakin' Hiegl angry angry

Excuuuuuse me? If thinking Beautiful Regina and Talented Katherine are noteworthy actresses is insane, then I never. . . ever wanna be sane, ever! I mean what are you talking about?

Did you see Regina in her last movie. . . can't remember the name at the moment or what it was about for that matter but she was marvelous!! I cheered. . . I mean I'm sure I did.

And Katherine Hiegl in knocked up. . . Oh my God, they should have called it knocked out coz that's what she did. . . Knocked it out of the ball park! I totally forget she wasn't really pregnant, she was that good. Have you seen her work on ABC's Arrested Anatomy, where she plays a doctor. . . Riveting! You know they gotta remember all those medical jargons, right and she hits every note without missing a beat. My Goodness! She's that freaking talented. I think when the gods were giving out acting skills, they mistakenly gave her triple portion. Honest!

So please come here telling me they can't on the same level as Meryl Streep. . . Just because she is critically acclaimed, has awards up the wazoo and. . . whatever else, okay! Thank you very much.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by SeanT21(f): 4:12pm On Jul 18, 2008
Regina, Gabriella, Katherine, Jada Pinkett or whomever can not be compared to heavyweights Like Jane Fonda, Meryl streep, Julia Robert, Sharon Stone or Charlize Theron.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by CH3COO(m): 5:15pm On Jul 18, 2008
Woah sisikill "infinity and beyond" kind of detailed, no kidding.  I won't say more than that since you made me wait over 24 hours to get a response.

Actually, I'll say a little.

[s]They are both well paid and extremely talented. Fresh-Prince-of-Bel-Air reruns can't seem to get old - Carlton also has very much to do with that. He can diversify his acting and can easily adapt to roles extending from comedy, to action, adventure, scifi, and reality. Denzel is the better actor in my opinion, but Willie has also been very successful so far. He has this exceptional ability to connect with fans, which is why he keeps getting called upon to star in so many films.[/s]
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 7:08pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Regina, Gabriella, Katherine, Jada Pinkett or whomever can not be compared to heavyweights Like Jane Fonda, Meryl streep, Julia Robert, Sharon Stone or Charlize Theron.

Hey SeanT21. . . been awhile.

Good to see ya again. smiley

Regina, Gabriella, Katherine & Jada all have movies which grossed a lot, a lot a lot at the box office.

Well, according to someone. . . box office is the measure of heavyweightness.

So I figure why not throw 'em in there with the Fondas and the Roberts and the Streeps.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2008
CH3COO:

Woah sisikill "infinity and beyond" kind of detailed, no kidding. I won't say more than that since you made me wait over 24 hours to get a response.

Actually, I'll say a little.

[s]They are both well paid and extremely talented. Fresh-Prince-of-Bel-Air reruns can't seem to get old - Carlton also has very much to do with that. He can diversify his acting and can easily adapt to roles extending from comedy, to action, adventure, scifi, and reality. Denzel is the better actor in my opinion, but Willie has also been very successful so far. He has this exceptional ability to connect with fans, which is why he keeps getting called upon to star in so many films.[/s]

ROTFLMAO

What? You said details. . . didn't ya?

I'm not disputing Will Smith is a great actor.

Errr. . . I guess that's it. tongue
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by CH3COO(m): 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2008
grin grin OMG she said the "G" word. Round of applause.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by SeanT21(f): 10:05pm On Jul 18, 2008
Sisikill:

Hey SeanT21. . . been awhile.

Good to see ya again. smiley

Regina, Gabriella, Katherine & Jada all have movies which grossed a lot, a lot a lot at the box office.

Well, according to someone. . . box office is the measure of heavyweightness.

So I figure why not throw 'em in there with the Fondas and the Roberts and the Streeps.

I did not say that Box Office tells how good an actress or actor is. I said it tells the person that the world appreciate them.
Lindsay Lohan movies gross big at the box office. It do not mean that she is good. It just means that she have stupid teenagers for her fans.

There is no way you can compare Gabriella Union to Jane Fonda.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Gamine(f): 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2008
We cnt

GU is a beautiful black lady

JF is a shrivelled white Woman, i still like her though tongue
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by SeanT21(f): 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2008
Gamine:

We cnt

Ms G. I am talking about acting abilities.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 12:34am On Jul 19, 2008
CH3COO:

grin  grin OMG she said the "G" word.  Round of applause.

Did I forget to add. . .  DW is Greater?

I did! Oops!

SeanT21:

I did not say that Box Office tells how good an actress or actor is. I said it tells the person that the world appreciate them.
Lindsay Lohan movies gross big at the box office. It do not mean that she is good. It just means that she have stupid teenagers for her fans.

There is no way you can compare Gabriella Union to Jane Fonda.

Oh? Well then I must have misunderstood when you dismissed Don Cheadle as a good actor by asking how much his movie grossed. Mah Bad! I do that sometimes.

Gamine:

We cnt

LMAO!

GU is beautiful. . . for awhile there, I had high hopes that she'd go mainstream.

Then it happened! I saw Daddy's Little Girls. . . scratch that, I was the preview to Daddy's Little Girl.

I almost wept as I had a moment of silence for a career cut short by Tyler Perry Gah! can't stand him.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by KarmaMod(f): 12:39am On Jul 19, 2008
Cant stand Tyler Perry and his movies either, SiSi

It's a shame that GU put herself in his crap but she makes it up by being in less mainstream movies at times eg Running With Scissors tongue

and lol Sisi, your sarcasm might be too much for some people hence davidif's freakout. *sighs* that's how I was when I first got here as TOH but whenm everyone got all confused and retarded, I had to moderate it sad
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by CH3COO(m): 12:51am On Jul 19, 2008
sisikill you keep appearing and disappearing like bubbles. sp over dw
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 12:53am On Jul 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

Cant stand Tyler Perry and his movies either, SiSi

It's a shame that GU put herself in his crap but she makes it up by being in less mainstream movies at times eg Running With Scissors  tongue

and lol Sisi, your sarcasm might be too much for some people hence davidif's freakout. *sighs* that's how I was when I first got here as TOH but whenm everyone got all confused and retarded, I had to moderate it  sad

JEEBUS! NO WAY!!!!!

I swear to God, I am so FREAKING SLOW!!!

How did I not know it was you??

You have to tell me. . . what do you do? LOL

I'll try to cut the sacarsm down but sometimes. . . it's hard not to take a shot, some people make it so easy!!
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 12:55am On Jul 19, 2008
CH3COO:

sisikill you keep appearing and disappearing like bubbles. sp over dw

grin grin grin grin
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by davidif: 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2008
Geez, let me see Denzel Washington has won an Oscar award (the baba of all acting awards) for best supporting actor in "Glory" was nominated two other times for "Hurricane", "Malcolm X", "Philadelphia" and won again for best actor in "Training day". We are not even talking about his performance in Malcolm X which is regarded by many critics as probably the greatest acting performance of all time in a movie.

Then you have the audacity to compare him to Will Smith.  angry angry angry
Agreed he was nominated for "Ali" which was an awesome performance, but if you want to know what acting his, go and watch Helen Mirren's performance in "the queen", Jamie Foxx performance in "Ray" or go and watch Russell Crowe in a "Beautiful Mind". That's what acting is all about, not who sells the most at the box office or those stupid mindless blockbusters that come out every now and then (Transformers), anybody can blow stuff up, the question is can everybody act? if acting was easy, then we would all be in hollywood, heck Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jackie Chan would have won several Academy Awards by now.  grin  grin  grin

For those of you who want to know what acting is about, go and watch Merryl Streep, Jack Nicholson and the great Sean Penn, those guys are by far the greatest cinematic actors of our day, and not Regina King.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by ziga: 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2008
In my opinion, it will be very hard to compare will smith and Denzel washinton. Will smith is a young dynamic and superb actor who has not yet reached his peak while denzel has probably already "been there, done that". Right now, Denzel might have many feathers to his cap, but with the potentials will has been showing so far, i think he still has so much room to fly.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by KarmaMod(f): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2008
Lol @ superb.

Anyway, I dont think Jamie Fox even deserved that Oscar. davidif. He was ok in Ray but not Oscar worthy
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by davidif: 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2008
@karmamod
Anyway, I don't think Jamie Fox even deserved that Oscar. davidif. He was ok in Ray but not Oscar worthy

You are joking right please tell me that you're joking. Did you ever see the real Ray Charles? i had been watching the real ray charles and his performances loooooong before the movie came out or before Ray died and i cannot begin to tell you how extremely impressed i was by Jamie Fox despite the fact that i just caught like 30 minutes of the movie when my friends were watching it, that's how good the performance was. Jamie Foxx couldn't get have gotten closer to the real Ray Charles in that performance, it was soooooo sublime.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by ibobabe(f): 5:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
Denzel, anytime,anyday
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by kevd2: 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2008
There is a big difference between an action movie star and great character actor,the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger,Sylvester Stallone,Jackie Chan,Vin diesel give great box office returns but are not character actors, the great actors include Robert Deniro,Al Pacino ,Denzel Washington ,Anthony Hopkins,Jack Nicholson,Daniel Day Lewis,Sean Penn and Rusell Crowe may not have sold out Theatres but are regarded as the best in the business due to their intense performances in dramatic roles.
Now as for Will Smith he is mainly an action star but has shown capacity for great dramatic roles like in ALI and The Pursuit of Happyness but to compare him with Denzel as an actor is ridiculous, Performances in Malcolm X , Glory ,The Hurricane,Siege,Training Day, Remember the Titans,American Gangster,Crimson tide cannot be matched.
If your the type of person that goesto the movies for sheer entertainment you will defintely love Will smith more, but if you love movies for their artistic content and ability to make you think and for challenging character portrayals i'd say Denzel is way on top.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by CH3COO(m): 5:32pm On Jul 19, 2008
I concur .
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by jay8ers: 5:48pm On Jul 19, 2008
kev-d:

There is a big difference between an action movie star and great character actor,the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger,Sylvester Stallone,Jackie Chan,Vin diesel give great box office returns but are not character actors, the great actors include Robert Deniro,Al Pacino ,Denzel Washington ,Anthony Hopkins,Jack Nicholson,Daniel Day Lewis,Sean Penn and Rusell Crowe may not have sold out Theatres but are regarded as the best in the business due to their intense performances in dramatic roles.
Now as for Will Smith he is mainly an action star but has shown capacity for great dramatic roles like in ALI and The Pursuit of Happyness but to compare him with Denzel as an actor is ridiculous, Performances in Malcolm X , Glory ,The Hurricane,Siege,Training Day, Remember the Titans,American Gangster,Crimson tide cannot be matched.
If your the type of person that goesto the movies for sheer entertainment you will defintely love Will smith more, but if you love movies for their artistic content and ability to make you think and for challenging character portrayals i'd say Denzel is way on top.

exactly
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by chiogo(f): 6:46pm On Jul 19, 2008
@Sisikill, you tried with your "Joey and monty" analogy but your conclusion isn't convincing enough. I would personally admire Monty
who moved to where there'd be no temptation. Let's be honest here, from ur analysis, Joey wouldn't make it in the real world. How many men(philanderous ones) go through such temptations and resist for a long period of time??

I don't wanna bring religion into this Cuz I'm not all that religious myself. I rarely read the bible but i remember some verse in the bible which says
that "If one of your eyes is going to hinder you from entering the kingdom, then pluck it off". Just like Monty, he knew the real world would continue to tempt him to have sex so he decided to move. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Anywayz, we all agree Denzel is the better actor but i don't understand what you meant by him sticking it out in the real world because he was sure of himself. What makes you think Will didn't stick it out in the real world or does he live in a fake world??
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by CH3COO(m): 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2008
chiogo:

@Sisikill, you tried with your "Joey and monty" analogy but your conclusion isn't convincing enough. I would personally admire Monty
who moved to where there'd be no temptation. Let's be honest here, from your analysis, Joey wouldn't make it in the real world. How many men(philanderous ones) go through such temptations and resist for a long period of time??

I don't want to bring religion into this Cuz I'm not all that religious myself. I rarely read the bible but i remember some verse in the bible which says
that "If one of your eyes is going to hinder you from entering the kingdom, then pluck it off". Just like Monty, he knew the real world would continue to tempt him to have sex so he decided to move. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Anywayz, we all agree Denzel is the better actor but i don't understand what you meant by him sticking it out in the real world because he was sure of himself. What makes you think Will didn't stick it out in the real world or does he live in a fake world??
wow! another good point by a 16-year-old. too bad you don't spend more time away from the rap section undecided
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by chiogo(f): 6:54pm On Jul 19, 2008
CH3COO:

wow! another good point by a 16-year-old. too bad you don't spend more time away from the rap section undecided
Ummm, is that a compliment or what?? anywayz, thanks. I rarely visit the rap section these days, dunno what you're talking about.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by BlackMamba(m): 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2008
Not to knock Fresh Prince but you compare Denzel to Morgan Freeman and Sydney Poitier.

Lol @ superb.
Anyway, I don't think Jamie Fox even deserved that Oscar. davidif. He was ok in Ray but not Oscar worthy

I'm not sure how you define "Oscar worthy", but your movie choices will not sniff an Oscar nomination anytime soon.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Gamine(f): 8:02pm On Jul 19, 2008
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Jeezy: 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2008
common now,y'all know Will Smith has nothing on DW.Still a great actor, loved his performance in In Pursuit of Happyness, but Training Day was amazing!
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by A40(m): 8:56pm On Jul 19, 2008
Lol i see they have closed my thread what for? undecided

Oscar or no Oscar i can name a lot of great actors who never won an Oscar that award is over-rated those guys that give awards according to how boring you can make your film

Let me give yall a quote from Jadakiss

Why Halle let a whiteman pop her to get an Oscar?
Why Denzel had to be crooked before he took it?

Will Smith is better anytime anyday
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by Sisikill: 9:08pm On Jul 19, 2008
chiogo:

who moved to where there'd be no temptation. Let's be honest here, from your analysis, Joey wouldn't make it in the real world. How many men(philanderous ones) go through such temptations and resist for a long period of time??

I don't want to bring religion into this Cuz I'm not all that religious myself. I rarely read the bible but i remember some verse in the bible which says

Okay, I'd suggest you read my post again because there seems to be a misunderstanding. No mention of real or fake world with regards to Will Smith and Denzel Washington, only in my analogy with Monty and Joey. I said DW puts himself out there. . . and by that, I meant he takes risks with his movie choices. Will Smith has admitted that he is afraid to be that bold with his choices. He knows action movies work for him and he would rather stick with it. If that doesn't say how unsure he is about himself, I don't know what does.

Secondly, My analogy has nothing to do with the bible or religion, so reading it in that context takes us to another level. I'd rather you look at it in the context of. . . Taking up a challenge, instead of running scared. It's easy for Monty to remain celibate because there's no challenge but how does he know what he is capable of doing or being? Everytime Joey overcomes an obstacle, it makes him stronger, It builds something in him.

I also would like to add. . . again that I like Will Smith, I think he is a good actor. I just don't think he should becompared to Denzel Washington. Compare Will Smith to Jamie Fox, they both have similar background career wise.

I'll end this by quoting Mohammed Ali. . . "It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself." I find it rather ironic, that one of the few times Will Smith ventured out of his safe cocoon, he played a guy who never backed down from challenges.
Re: Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) by chiogo(f): 9:46pm On Jul 19, 2008
Sisikill:

Secondly, My analogy has nothing to do with the bible or religion, so reading it in that context takes us to another level. I'd rather you look at it in the context of. . . Taking up a challenge, instead of running scared. It's easy for Monty to remain celibate because there's no challenge but how does he know what he is capable of doing or being? Everytime Joey overcomes an obstacle, it makes him stronger, It builds something in him.

I also would like to add. . . again that I like Will Smith, I think he is a good actor. I just don't think he should becompared to Denzel Washington. Compare Will Smith to Jamie Fox, they both have similar background career wise.

I'll end this by quoting Mohammed Ali. . . "It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself." I find it rather ironic, that one of the few times Will Smith ventured out of his safe cocoon, he played a guy who never backed down from challenges.
Right, and like i mentioned earlier, i didn't want to bring religion into it either but either way you look at it, the words apply. Ok, in real life, if one has a friend or someone in their life that stops them from achieving their goals, what do you do?? Say bye to the friend and move on with your life. Same theory as the one i took from the bible.

It's not really easy for Monty to remain celibate just because he moved to the mountains or whatever. For one who is a philanderer, it is a hard decision to make to move to a zone where you know you won't be able to get sex anymore. That itself, is a challenge - the decision to move from one's comfort zone.

I don't really get what you mean by their movie choices. Last time i checked, all these actors have their movies written for 'em. so, what movie choices are we talkin about here?? I def. agree that Denzel is a better actor but by a very thin line. For one, he's older and therefore, he is given mature roles and he's been playing that role since forever. I'm sure either of them would do well in other roles but it'd be less interesting to watch because the audience won't be used to their new characters. Will smith does not play those roles because he's immature and Denzel doesn't play those roles because he's so smart - They're used to their roles, point blank.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jagaban Ft Selina Tested Episode 22 (the Return) / Where Can I Download "Husbands Of Lagos" Series / How Much Does It Cost To Air Your Programme On Dstv.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.