Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,824 members, 7,798,789 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? (7529 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist / Picture Of A Nairalander Pounding Crayfish In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by adebayo201: 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
Lilimax: Are people still pounding yam when we have poundo yam flour readily available
in the market?. Very easy to prepare?
no wonder your health no..... *mouth sealed *

front page?!
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Coldblooded(m): 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
It's by "SKILFUL-STRENGHT"
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
First you need strenght, before skill on how to pound,that is hitting it at the right place and when you start adding water. You can start pounding gently after the first 3-5minute.
I pound very well but pounded yam is my least favorite food.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by lukaino(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Lilimax: Are people still pounding yam when we have poundo yam flour readily available

if no be pounded yam, e no fit be like pounded yam. The difference is clear grin
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Vock(m): 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2013
84 kg? U weigh na....
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by mencade6: 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2013
to the love of everything and hates to non i venture into a great world
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2013
Both, i'm one of the best pounded yam pounder in our town!
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by solelymade: 3:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
With 12years of exxperience in yam pounding and having encounter different kinds of yam palava when pounding, I will categorically tell you its 25%strength 75%skill. Merely accessing where the yam is from(is it isu abuja, aro,efuru etc) and looking when peeling the yam I can tell if the yam will be great for pounding. Or u want to add a bit of breadfruit to the not so good yam for pounding which is best done by boiling the yam without peeling it. It's best using ones skill to pound than committing to much energy into pounding. No matter the amount of strength committed to pounding some yams, it won't come out good as compared to pounding with skill.

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
If it is not pounded yam,it can never be like pounded yam.
The taste still defers but still a good alternative.

It's both strength and skill.
Strength for pounding and the skill to make sure it comes out smooth not with lumps. But there are some bad yams sha.

But for those that easily get tired,why don't u get the small mortal and pistle and sit on a stool while pounding.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by nenergy(m): 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2013
It takes more skill than strenght. I am the official yam pounder in my family!

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Ugom38(f): 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
thank God we dont eat it in our house if not na suffer be dat with de way my 2 brothers eats,since de blender got spoilt,common crayfish and pepper has been handled by my 2 young cousins dat are so eager to pound. cheesy

i hate pounding,cant forget de day pepper flew into my eyes while pounding,since then i close my eyes,cover up my entire body while at it or better still use dry pepper wink wink
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by felzylix(m): 3:28pm On Nov 20, 2013
If you are here forming posh while the pestle undoubtedly recognises your fingerprint... *ur case dey heaven

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by seangy4konji: 3:31pm On Nov 20, 2013
Fire small alomo for body or sk before u begin pound am...u fit pound 5 hours u nor gor tire...
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 20, 2013
nenergy: It takes more skill than strenght. I am the official yam pounder in my family!

If you say skill,then it will depend on the kind of pistle you are using.
Most pistles are heavy,some are light.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by rman: 3:36pm On Nov 20, 2013
See the lazy and weak generation.

What is so difficult in pounding yam?

If you are a teenager and can't pound yam, you are just weak and probably lazy.

An for those comparing poundo yam to real pounded yam, the difference is clear like night and day.

And this pounding process that everyone is complaining about is less than an hour if you know what you are doing.

Pounded yam is a good meal and the pounding process gives your body a little exercise while you are at it.

When growing up, we are all boys with just one girl (last born) and pounded yam is the standard meal for lunch on Sundays. All of us struggle to take part because we see it as a show of strength.

The moment you see it as work, you definitely won't like it.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 20, 2013
its more of perseverance
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
ours is "pounded yam house" my dad being a typical tiv man n my mum though nt tiv is so fond of it dt she hardly eats oda forms of swallow...u nid d skill,strength n determination...am vry slim bt if I pound yam u go swear say no b me pound am,nt even a trace of tiny pieces of yam...nt difficult,its al abt mind set
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Water9430(m): 4:04pm On Nov 20, 2013
With my experience in pounding, I can categorically say it's more of skills than strength. The hardest yam to pound I think is kokoyam. But if u have the skills, u can pound it without it having any seeds. Most yam requires skills to make it succulent and not strength. No matter how much strength u have, u most know how to place ur yam and how to turn the yam.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
Both cool

#TeamNoPoundedYamNoMarriage

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Danhumprey: 4:47pm On Nov 20, 2013
homesteady: You need the two! But I hate pounding yam! Because I always injure myself when pounding angry
Lazy pikin! tongue
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Danhumprey: 4:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
felzylix: If you are here forming posh while the pestle undoubtedly recognises your fingerprint... *ur case dey heaven
cheesy
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by ujublessing(f): 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2013
Strength first then skill
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by AreaFada2: 5:13pm On Nov 20, 2013
lol
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
I love pounded yam, yum yum yum!!!
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Lilimax(f): 5:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
adebayo201:
no wonder your health no..... *mouth sealed *

front page?!
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Lilimax(f): 5:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
Joavid:
If it is not pounded yam,it can never be like pounded yam.
The taste still defers but still a good alternative.

It's both strength and skill.
Strength for pounding and the skill to make sure it comes out smooth not with lumps. But there are some bad yams sha.

But for those that easily get tired,why don't u get the small mortal and pistle and sit on a stool while pounding.
It is too tiring to pound yam especially some 'stubborn' yams.
If I bent on eating pounded yam, I will prepare the poundo flour
but thank God we are not pounded yam addicts smiley.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by udysweet(f): 5:33pm On Nov 20, 2013
tjskii: My sister,no be only you,once I hit dt pestle 2ce,my body go just dey shake,I'll start sweatin profusely, becom cold and hot at d same time,hian cheesy cheesy,na so I jejely advise myself,started usind d tiny morter used for pounding soup ingredients,for d yam,even dt tiny mortar sef no be beans,so I pound for only my husby,d rest of us na to face eba,I no fit shout grin grin
lool!i no fit shout o!me sef na so e do me o,na my late mum dey pound yam for house then and na dat type we dey put garri as calabar pple na*winks* omo as i say mak i form mummy last december for my oda siblings naim i say na poundy we go eat instead of usual rice on xmas day. conclusion almost passed out,som get more yam,some get more garri and overall na koko finish d life,lmao! its fun tho to do dos tins but me tinks its more of skills,u cld tak it in small bits if the strenght aint der.

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:54pm On Nov 20, 2013
Stånd: Lol...I am grateful that no one eats pounded yam in my house except the Ripe plantain version that we eat with pepper soup and fresh fish....

How on earth do people stomach such heavy meal and some even eat it daily...It beats me.

***How to make Pounded yam( Plantain version).
Boil plantain....peel and pound..you can add little oil while pounding...
Serve hot with a sizzling bowl of Hot pepper soup plus delicious fresh fish....

grin This version is better than pounded yam made with yam...that ish is so heavy. The first time I went to a village and tasted pounded yam...I thought I was going to die...Choiiii....my stomach was so heavy and I called my mum to tell her I was dying....undecided

Temburu?! shocked shocked

Are you riverine?!
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Wislet(f): 5:57pm On Nov 20, 2013
Water9430: With my experience in pounding, I can categorically say it's more of skills than strength. The hardest yam to pound I think is kokoyam. But if u have the skills, u can pound it without it having any seeds. Most yam requires skills to make it succulent and not strength. No matter how much strength u have, u most know how to place ur yam and how to turn the yam.
cocoyam, if not well pounded, will have Lumps not seeds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Date Fruit (dabino) / I Need Recipes For Stew, Spaghetti, Beans, Chicken / Smelly Palm Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.