Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election (14643 Views)

Anambra Poll Results: Ekwunife Sacks Ngige From Senate, Humbles Victor Umeh / 4 killed, 7 injured in renewed clash over oil on Anambra/Kogi border / LIVE UPDATES On Anambra Supplementary Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by DonColz1(m): 6:46am On Nov 19, 2013
The Independent National Electoral Commission on Monday said only the courts could order total cancellation of any election conducted by it.

The commission was reacting to the calls by the All Progressives Congress, Labour Party and their candidates for a total cancellation of the controversial governorship election in Anambra State on Saturday.

It said since the Chief Returning Officer, Prof. James Epoke, had announced most of the results, INEC had no power to do anything contrary.

“By law, those results are now beyond the purview of INEC to invalidate. Only the courts have that power now to do so,” Mr. Kayode Idowu, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, told The PUNCH in Abuja.

Idowu added that with the inclusive nature of the election as declared by Onukogu, all that “the commission can do is to conduct a supplementary election so that the CRO can make a return.”

He explained that INEC was “ awaiting the return of field officers, who went for the election so that every report obtained , especially concerning logistical issues, could be painstakingly scrutinised.”

It is after this, he said, that Jega and his national commissioners would meet to fix a date for the supplementary election.

The APC candidate, Chris Ngige; his PDP and LP counterparts, Tony Nwoye and Mr. Ifeanyi Uba, had on Sunday jointly called for a total cancellation of the poll.

They told INEC to conduct a fresh election before the March, 2014 handover date by the incumbent Governor, Peter Obi.

Epoke had in Awka on Monday morning that the election was declared inconclusive because it did not meet certain requirements of the Electoral Act.

He said that the Act required that for a winner to be declared in an election, the difference in the total voting population of the areas where the exercise was cancelled should be less than the difference between the votes scored by the candidate with the highest votes and the votes of the candidate with the second highest votes.

He said in the case of Anambra State, the total voting population of the areas in which election was cancelled was 113,113.

The figure, according to him, is higher than the 79,754 difference between the leading candidate’s votes and the second highest candidate’s votes.

With this, the CRO said, INEC had no choice but to declare the election inconclusive.

Epoke added, “The rule guiding this election is that for a winner to emerge, he must have majority of votes cast and the required spread of 25 per cent of votes in two-thirds of the local government areas.

“We observed that due to many reasons, there were a lot of cancelled votes that made it difficult for a winner to emerge.”

The CRO said the winner of the election would be only be declared after election had been conducted in the areas where the exercise was cancelled.

He also explained that election was cancelled in some polling units because of snatching of ballot materials; delivering of coded ballot materials to wrong collation centres and the non-arrival of election materials at polling units.

In the election result received and released by INEC, Chief Willie Obiano of the All Progressives Grand Alliance led with 174,710 votes.

The Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Mr. Tony Nwoye, was second with 94,956 votes while the All Progressives Congress candidate, Dr. Chris Ngige, was third with 92,300 votes.

The Labour Party candidate, Ifeanyi Ubah, came fourth with 37,446 votes and the Progressives Peoples Alliance candidate, Mr. Godwin Ezeemo, was fifth with 5,056 votes.

The total valid votes cast in the election were 413,005.

INEC announced that the supplementary election would take place in 15 local government areas, where 113,113 voters were denied the right to vote because election was cancelled in their polling units.

Most of the cancelled polling units(160) are in Idemilli North LGA where 89,997 voters were disenfranchised.

Also affected are Idemili South with one polling unit and 636 voters ; Ekwusigo, three polling units with 884 voters; Ayamelum, three polling units with 1,247 voters; Anambra East, one polling unit with 250 voters; Anambra West, six polling units with 2,000 voters; Anaocha, one polling unit with 276 voters ; and Awka North, two polling units with 1,366 voters.

The rest are Awka South, one polling unit with 249 voters; Nnewi South, two polling units with 376 voters ; Onitsha North, one polling unit with 484 voters; Onitsha South, 17 polling units with 12,279 voters ; Orumba North, four polling units with 588 voters; and Oyi four polling units with 1,202 voters.

The failure of INEC to fix a date for the supplementary election created some confusion especially among the poll monitors and journalists.

Many waited till Monday afternoon before moving out of their hotel rooms when it became obvious to them that INEC had not decided on a date for the supplementary poll.

On Monday evening, the riot policemen deployed in INEC office in Awka were also seen moving out after some ceremonies.

http://www.punchng.com/news/only-courts-can-cancel-entire-election-inec/
Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by gramci: 6:59am On Nov 19, 2013
Tell them grin
Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Kingsley1000(m): 7:02am On Nov 19, 2013
Am a die hard fan of ngige,in this situation.i advice him to concede defeat...he really no doubt has served exceedingly for ndi-anambra

3 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by asha80(m): 7:09am On Nov 19, 2013
Kingsley1000: Am a die hard fan of ngige,in this situation.i advice him to concede defeat...he really no doubt has served exceedingly for ndi-anambra
wow coming from you....so no more onwa ga eti ozo?

9 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 7:20am On Nov 19, 2013
Kingsley1000: Am a die hard fan of ngige,in this situation.i advice him to concede defeat...he really no doubt has served exceedingly for ndi-anambra
even if he should concede a defeat, definitely not now. He should go to court first and challenge the outcome of the election and if there is going to be a fresh election,so be it. His name is still written on gold as a one time best governor of Anambra State.

8 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by warrior01: 7:36am On Nov 19, 2013
Lol.....reality is gradually dawning on Ngige myopic e-warriors. Waiting for 2015 to put the final nail on APC.

7 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by OgologoDimkpa: 8:51am On Nov 19, 2013
berem: even if he should concede a defeat, definitely not now. He should go to court first and challenge the outcome of the election and if there is going to be a fresh election,so be it. His name is still written on gold as a one time best governor of Anambra State.
Best Governor my foot angry.
A position he occupied through massive rigging?
Thank God cos he was finally disgraced out of office for Peter Obi to come in smiley.

15 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by hardywaltz(m): 9:00am On Nov 19, 2013
A repentant election rigger has no moral justification to cry foul when out rigged.

1 Like

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by bashydemy(m): 9:36am On Nov 19, 2013
ogologodimkpa: Best Governor my foot angry.
A position he occupied thruogh massive rigging?
Thank God cos he was finally disgraced out of office for Peter Obi to come in smiley.
You are complete eediot for saying that, Even if he occupy the post with rigging and he performed then what, He never want to sell state to Godfather's and accept they rigged so is that not enough to name him an honest Governor? What as your so call Governors that occupy the post with genuine election did? I would rather rig Fashola into Aso rock and perform than vote for Gbenga Daniel to be President and loot the treasury

12 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 19, 2013
I hope the we accept the result

7 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by AtlanticBreeze: 10:06am On Nov 19, 2013
Are you not giving up too soon, I guess you are allowing the opinions/statements of Peter obi e urchins (far different from what's on ground) sway you. How do you tell him to concede defeat when he was not defeated, why didn't you ask Peter obi to concede defeat during his time? This election is juicy of court cases. The flaws are of kindergarten nature. The double registration will even work against Obiano that's why they gave PDP second place.

1 Like

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by AtlanticBreeze: 10:08am On Nov 19, 2013
ogologodimkpa: Best Governor my foot angry.
A position he occupied thruogh massive rigging?
Peter obi the kindergarten rigger who couldn't cover his tracks. We all Know Ngige remains the best governor Anambra has produced. urchins like you need to get a life.

6 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by alexchiny: 10:32am On Nov 19, 2013
AtlanticBreeze:
Peter obi the kindergarten rigger who couldn't cover his tracks. We all Know Ngige remains the best governor Anambra has produced. urchins like you need to get a life.

In your wet dreams son! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Please list his 4 achievements while in office for 3 years! Am waiting!

3 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by busterr(m): 10:37am On Nov 19, 2013
Ngige should just grow up and accept defeat

1 Like

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 19, 2013
dazey: One down rochas is the next to kick out
For your mind! APC has come to stay in Imo state. You better get used to it or you change your state of origin.

2 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by bushwailo: 10:44am On Nov 19, 2013
I was a bit disappointed in the election results and how poorly APC performed.
The reality is that these BIAFRA and Catholic bigots are still strong and make a majority of Anambra electorate.
Anambra is still mainly conservative and not ready for change.

If the election is conducted again, I don't see Ngige winning.
Ngige should accept the results and let Anambra have Obiano.
They deserve what they voted for.

I only hope Obiano will break away from Obis policies for the betterment of the state.
As per Igbo presidency..... as an Igbo man who followed the last election in Anambra with the level of religious and tribal bigotry,
I don't think we deserve a shot for the next 50 years.

9 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by alexchiny: 10:51am On Nov 19, 2013
bushwailo: I was a bit disappointed in the election results and how poorly APC performed.
The reality is that these BIAFRA and Catholic bigots are still strong and make a majority of Anambra electorate.

I only hope Obiano will break away from Obis policies for the betterment of the state.
As per Igbo presidency..... as an Igbo man who followed the last election in Anambra with the level of religious and tribal bigotry,

ODirom ka ibu nwa afor Igbo! Anyway, FYI son, we Igbos are not desperate for the presidency, it will come when it's time for it. We rejected APC because we are not yet convinced of their sincerity and what they could offer us. They should use the next 4 years and build a better relationship with us and then present a formidable candidate. They just might get it then but for now, we in Anambra are more comfortable with our APGA!

8 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by AtlanticBreeze: 11:07am On Nov 19, 2013
People who are quick to ask Ngige to concede defeat are foolish, Despite all the rigging and flawed voters register, Ngige still got over 90k votes outside his stronghold, with APGA struggling with 170k out of 1.7m registered voters. Anambra people didn't vote APGA, and Ngige will always win in a credible poll. Its a pity most of you have been weighed down by the propaganda of Peter obi urchins on the internet, why not ask them why they failed to take the votes in one fell swoop since they claim Anambra will not vote APC. why must APGA rig APC to 'win marginally' in alaigbo. Reminds me of Awo and Zik in SW.

7 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by alexchiny: 11:18am On Nov 19, 2013
AtlanticBreeze: People who are quick to ask Ngige to concede defeat are foolish, Despite all the rigging and flawed voters register, Ngige still got over 90k votes outside his stronghold, with APGA struggling with 170k out of 1.7m registered voters. Anambra people didn't vote APGA, and Ngige will always win in a credible poll. Its a pity most of you have been weighed down by the propaganda of Peter obi urchins on the internet, why not ask them why they failed to take the votes in one fell swoop since they claim Anambra will not vote APC. why must APGA rig APC to 'win marginally' in alaigbo. Reminds me of Awo and Zik in SW.

Freeglobe, stop lamenting! APC cannot defeat APGA in a Gubernatorial election in Anambra State! They even came 3rd because of Ngige's partial popularity in his senatorial zone. Stop giving your fellow APC e-warriors hope! Thank You!

4 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by israel007: 11:21am On Nov 19, 2013
[size=38pt]DEAR NGIGE, YOU LOST IT WHEN YOU JOINED THE LOSERS.

YOU ARE NOW A LOSER AND A LOSER YOU WILL REMAIN UNTIL YOU OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE GREEDY PEOPLE THAT YOU CHOSE TO HOBNOB WITH
[/size]

15 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by bushwailo: 11:22am On Nov 19, 2013
alexchiny:

ODirom ka ibu nwa afor Igbo! Anyway, FYI son, we Igbos are not desperate for the presidency, it will come when it's time for it. We rejected APC because we are not yet convinced of their sincerity and what they could offer us. They should use the next 4 years and build a better relationship with us and then present a formidable candidate. They just might get it then but for now, we in Anambra are more comfortable with our APGA!
You need to compare your voting pattern to that of the Yorubas to see how unsophisticated you are.
The Yoruba's voted against Obasanjo, a bona fide son, he lost in his own village.
They voted PDPs GEJ even while voting en masse for ACN on the governoship level.
The voted out all underperforming AD governors leaving only Tinubu.
The list goes on and on .....

Nwanne ka anyi kwu ezi okwu. We have a long way to go.
Do you know the way we look when politicians are campaigning in Catholic Churches.
With reverend fathers openly woed in the media.
With stories of pastors being slapped swaying voters in Enugu and Imo state.

And what has APGA done to convince you apart from claiming that they are Igbo party.
Igbo party with no presence outside Anambra state.

8 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 19, 2013
AtlanticBreeze: People who are quick to ask Ngige to concede defeat are foolish, Despite all the rigging and flawed voters register, Ngige still got over 90k votes outside his stronghold, with APGA struggling with 170k out of 1.7m registered voters. Anambra people didn't vote APGA, and Ngige will always win in a credible poll. Its a pity most of you have been weighed down by the propaganda of Peter obi urchins on the internet, why not ask them why they failed to take the votes in one fell swoop since they claim Anambra will not vote APC. why must APGA rig APC to 'win marginally' in alaigbo. Reminds me of Awo and Zik in SW.
I agree totally with you. If Anambra people love APGA that much, APC would have had similar votes with PPA and other parties who had little votes. Even after the Anti- Ngige programmes aired on the electronic media in Anambra, people still voted massively for him. Rigging aside, Ngige will win Obiano hands down with a landslide.

7 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by asha80(m): 11:27am On Nov 19, 2013
all these lamentations self.
Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 19, 2013
An Igbo party that has its strong base only in Anambra is not an Igbo party but a party filled with sentimental bigots. They have nothing to offer only to brain wash its gullible people and loot the state treasury. They have absolutely nothing to offer to their people. Too bad!

8 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by OgologoDimkpa: 11:29am On Nov 19, 2013
bashy_demy: You are complete eediot for saying that, Even if he occupy the post with rigging and he performed then what, He never want to sell state to Godfather's and accept they rigged so is that not enough to name him an honest Governor? What as your so call Governors that occupy the post with genuine election did? I would rather rig Fashola into Aso rock and perform than vote for Gbenga Daniel to be President and loot the treasury
Your abuse is uncalled for just for you to make this crappy comments sad?

Ngige will still lose even if the election is re-contested.

He associated himself with Tinubu and buhari (APC) and that was the beginning of his failure.
We don't want our state to be mortgaged the way Tinubu did in some state?
Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by OgologoDimkpa: 11:32am On Nov 19, 2013
AtlanticBreeze:
Best Governor indeed when he stole the people's mandate to get to the Gov't house Awka angry?
Was he not disgraced out of the office at the end grin?

1 Like

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by AtlanticBreeze: 11:34am On Nov 19, 2013
alexchiny:

Freeglobe, stop lamenting! APC cannot defeat APGA in a Gubernatorial election in Anambra State! They even came 3rd because of Ngige's partial popularity in his senatorial zone. Stop giving your fellow APC e-warriors hope! Thank You!
you people can't just deal with your insecurity. You expect me to argue with you I'm not freeglobe? lol. That Ngige got over 90k votes to APGA's 170k outside his stronghold despite massive rigging and inducements as confirmed by Inec tells me Ngige will win APC's Ngige will win a landslide in a free and fair poll in Anambra. Peter obi has no clout.

3 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by OgologoDimkpa: 11:34am On Nov 19, 2013
bushwailo: I was a bit disappointed in the election results and how poorly APC performed.

@ bolded- Likes!

1 Like

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by AtlanticBreeze: 11:39am On Nov 19, 2013
ogologodimkpa:
Best Governor indeed when he stole the people's mandate to get to the Gov't house Awka angry?
The same way Peter obi stole the mandate in his second tenure and about stealing another one? You people should pray this election is not rerun when obi leaves office

3 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 19, 2013
ogologodimkpa:
so he was disgraced out of office because he stole the people's mandate and not because of godfathers who wouldn't allow him work. Unfortunately,Obiano will suffer the same thing if he becomes governor. He will disappoint Obi and his APGA cohorts so much that Obi will regret making him a godson.

2 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by Lilimax(f): 11:50am On Nov 19, 2013
asha 80: all these lamentations self.
I tell the whole thing it's becoming nauseating angry

Lamentation everywhere smiley

3 Likes

Re: INEC On Anambra Poll: Only Courts Can Cancel Entire Election by alexchiny: 11:50am On Nov 19, 2013
bushwailo:
You need to compare your voting pattern to that of the Yorubas to see how unsophisticated you are.
The Yoruba's voted against Obasanjo, a bona fide son, he lost in his own village.
They voted PDPs GEJ even while voting en masse for ACN on the governoship level.
The voted out all underperforming AD governors leaving only Tinubu.
The list goes on and on .....

Nwanne ka anyi kwu ezi okwu. We have a long way to go.
Do you know the way we look when politicians are campaigning in Catholic Churches.
With reverend fathers openly woed in the media.
With stories of pastors being slapped swaying voters in Enugu and Imo state.

And what has APGA done to convince you apart from claiming that they are Igbo party.
Igbo party with no presence outside Anambra state.

First of all, amam na iburo onye Igbo! Secondly, we Anambrarians are quite satisfied with Obi's government because he practically started from the scratch! I am sure you dont know that history. Obi met nothing on ground when he came on board because Mbadinuju did nothing and your saintly Ngige had helped destroy the little structures we had on ground. Obi has done very well in areas of good Administration,Rural road networks,Education and Industrialization! Any true and unbiased Anambrarian will tell you this. Most of us including myself attack the man for being too stingy. grin
Thirdly,We Igbos need to make APGA our own and make sure we control at least 4 SE states come 2015 for our own sake. That will help us to always bargain from a position of strength in this shithole called Nigeria!
We Igbos have stopped being more Nigerian than other tribes/regions because we have realized its all about regional interest.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Member Of PDP New Media Team Attacked On Sick Bed In Benue (Photos) / Osun 2018 Inconclusive Election - Leave Mahmood Yakubu Alone - Dr. Chima Mathew / N2.5bn Fraud Uncovered In Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.