Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! (40337 Views)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by dragon2(m): 9:33am On Nov 20, 2013
This is what happens when we have a weak police force.If the police had gone in as undercover customers and started arresting dealers and mechanics this malaise will die off quickly,rather they tolerate it,and participate in some cases. angry angry angry A few scape goats is all that is needed.

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Eyop: 9:40am On Nov 20, 2013
drag_on: This is what happens when we have a weak police force.If the police had gone in as undercover customers and started arresting dealers and mechanics this malaise we die off quickly,rather they tolerate it,and participate in some cases. angry angry angry A few scape goats is all that is needed.

Like they say every day for the thief and one day for the owner. One guy is cooling off in jail now because of stolen Catalytic converter. A man bought a brand new car from Elizade and asked the mechanic to deliver the car for him at home but only for him to remove the catalytic converter before delivery. The matter was taken up and it was later traced to him. He has spent so far 8months in jail oh.

9 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by lekanwj(m): 10:12am On Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the info. Please I visited a high profile garage some months back and they removed my car catalyst because it was blocked. I could not get a replacement so some other garage put some foams as replacement but I think fuel,consumption,is,ok,but,I,smell smoke in the car. What can I do?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by eugolanda: 11:22am On Nov 20, 2013
Good morning sir, I was actually impressed by professionally and well researched expose. unfortunately u did not leave ur number or contact. please, I actually will need to speak with or better still come to c u since ur in Abuja. u can contact me through any of the following media... 08098864802/ eugolanda@yahoo.co.uk. ... Thanks.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by awolols(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2013
This is so very true. Happened to my honda accord. Had to replace all catalytic reactors
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by dabossman(m): 1:41pm On Nov 20, 2013
Damn! Now it all adds up. I do believe that I'm a victim of this wickedness. Ha, oga panel, na God go punish you o! Let me go and check with my mechanic if the thing is still there or not. angry
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by clemhova: 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
Nix 1 doctor. So name mechanic for naija develop this post? Very interesting. No doubt you trained in UK. A beg where your workshop dey?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Bsideboi(m): 3:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
sexy glow: wait a minute o..na the "indomie" wey my mechanic tell me say my car no get?? Wonders shall never end!
wetin d guy sef go find for d indomie side grin
sexy glow: wait a minute o..na the "indomie" wey my mechanic tell me say my car no get?? Wonders shall never end!
wetin d guy sef go findcheesy for d indomie side...abi em sef wan chop cheesy
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by JazzyPhizzle: 3:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
On my next car, I will need to check that the Catalyst is still there. Infact, that would be the major determinant for buying from any seller. I hear also that they do not allow you to scan the vehicle? But they will allow a mechanic and panel beater abi? Them dey craze! Infact, this is the reason why I don't want to buy from cotonou because, in whatever shape the car comes, na your own.

Na me and them next year!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 20, 2013
JazzyPhizzle: On my next car, I will need to check that the Catalyst is still there. Infact, that would be the major determinant for buying from any seller. I hear also that they do not allow you to scan the vehicle? But they will allow a mechanic and panel beater abi? Them dey craze! Infact, this is the reason why I don't want to buy from cotonou because, in whatever shape the car comes, na your own.

Na me and them next year!!!!!!

Wanna buy a car from cotonu? Better go there now next year (according to FG ranting,) they will raise import duties on imported cars
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by JazzyPhizzle: 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
@lomomike:
No more Cotonou for me. I will scrutinize at Berger so much that they'd ban me from coming there again!

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Eyop: 4:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
lomomike:

Wanna buy a car from cotonu? Better go there now next year (according to FG ranting,) they will raise import duties on imported cars

Well i just wonder how much will the import duties be by next year. I don't see it working.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by olumide4christ: 5:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Issyman: @op
This issue of catalyst is becoming unbearable. Out of every 10 cars bought either from Lagos ports or cotonou, 9 must have been removed. It's so sad. My dealer friend claimed that my car catalyst is intact while a panel beater said it has been removed. I went for a scan and Catalyst error came up. It's sad. A friend told me that I shouldn't bother cos he has been using his DC like that.
Pls where is your workshop in abuja. Pls u can contact me on 0802849204 to meet. Pls u can send sms.
Thanks

Mr. Issyman, is this the sparkling Toyota Camry you bought through Jelad a few weeks ago
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by jpphilips(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
@ car doctor;

When i bought my ride from an Agent here in Nigeria, the check engine light came on after a few days, so i used the VIN to track the ride to realize the CAT was removed in the States because it has already failed emission test from the carfax report.

Now, i wanted to replace it, then I connected my OBD2 scanner and drove a full tank twice, did same for my friends car, same model, same year and my fuel consumption was lower than his, till date i still drive around with the MLT light on.

Can you explain this unprecedented phenomenon?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by JazzyPhizzle: 5:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
FG just wants to rake in more money since we are so into importation. There's no iota of genuineness to grow the economy by this move.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by jpphilips(m): 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2013
BoomBoom101: I have the same problem wit my 2002 European Honda accord that I just bought. I noticed d car consumes a lot of fuel which is so unfair from a 1.8L engine. I visited my Mechanic and after scanning we got d P0420 code. We discovered d catalyst had been stolen and stuffed wit some rubbish. My Car is very clean but its fuel consumption is so annoying. Pls I need help on where I can get it replaced and won't be cheated. Whoever that stole my catalyst converter will never experience happiness in his/her life. Amen.

your car is not a 1.8l, its either a 2.2l or 3.0 if its V6, what is causing the problem might be the rubbish they stuffed the exhaust with, a mechanic has suggested that to me in the past but i declined because the car actually saves more petrol with the CAT removed.
i really don't know why.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by komek(m): 8:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
So romoving the CAT is just for that cheap money? 12k, 18k etc. Its bad na, the hunger in this country is making pple to look so cheap. How wud one think of such thing and still think of prospering? Its bad.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by fullblast(m): 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
My 2001 audi A4 had difficulties climbing hilly roads n responding †φ sharp accelarations. So ​​​​ was advised †φ remove d CAT cos its blocked. After d removal(similar †φ d picture), it bounced back †φ life but with embarrasing smoke dat lasted for 2weeKs. The throaty sound still persists n a little change in fuel consmpt. I am planning †φ get a replacement which is about 25k
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by ziccoit: 9:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
jp philips:

your car is not a 1.8l, its either a 2.2l or 3.0 if its V6, what is causing the problem might be the rubbish they stuffed the exhaust with, a mechanic has suggested that to me in the past but i declined because the car actually saves more petrol with the CAT removed.
i really don't know why.

The guy said "European Honda Accord". Which is available in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 I4 engines. I'm yet to see an European Honda Accord specs of 3.0 V6 engine.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
ziccoit:

The guy said "European Honda Accord". Which is available in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 I4 engines. I'm yet to see an European Honda Accord specs of 3.0 V6 engine.

Yes my car is a 1.8L I4 engine. D engine looks so much like DAT of babyboy( 2000 Honda accord) u can hardly differentiate them. But d 1.8 is boldly written on d trunk. About d removed catalyst, I also notice d wire of d oxygen censor has been cut off. Could DAT be d reason for d high fuel consumption? Pls help
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by komek(m): 10:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for this mature topic fp of NL... @OP, u do well. I have learnt so much
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 2:50am On Nov 21, 2013
THIS IS AN EYE OPENER TO ME. THANKS TO THE POST
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:32am On Nov 21, 2013
nwa.anambra:
the mechanic i took my car to stole mine! the sound of the car changed drastically from being silent to being very noisy! he denied it till date even when its obvious he stole it! the annoying part is that i bought the car in march this year and the car was so clean when i bought it that people think i bought it brand new!

Since then, the car is so noisy, consumes a lot of fuel and gives me various engine problems like overheat!

They called it INDOMIE!

TO REPLACE ANOTHER ONE, THE DEALER THEY DIRECTED ME TO IN APO SAID ITS N28K!

I TOLD THE MECHANIC THAT IT WILL NEVER BE WELL WITH HIM! and so shall it be!

This is the reason why majority of the unscrupulous mechanics are sooooo pooor! believe me, majority of the mechanics are worst than the police!

1. Don't buy a car from a dealer who won't let you scan it. If you can't inspect it thoroughly, then it is not worth it. Electrical nightmares take time, patience and lots of money to fix. Run two scans one before a drive and another after a short test drive and compare the results. I would rather pay an extra 500,000 to 1,000,000 for a car that i will have peace of mind than pay 500,000.00 to 1,000,000 less only to start a long and winding affair with a mechanic or mechanics. Its your money for God's sake and you don't owe any dealer your money, you owe yourself a duty to spend your money in a way that gives you the maximum satisfaction. After all money is time in a different form, if you waste the money, you have wasted all the time you spent making the money.

2. Don't ever leave your vehicle unattended whether at a workshop or other secluded area. If you must leave it unattended, you might consider taking out the catalytic converter as an extreme measure. But it is that bad, then you are doing business with the wrong mechanic. It might not be the same again when you come back to get it. I hear they also steal catalytic converters overseas but its not as rampant as here in Nigeria

3. Tire wires or metal mosquito nets which our mechanics love to stuff into the catalytic converter to serve as a local catalytic converter can never be as effective as ceramic or metallic catalytic converters and have been known to result in exhaust restrictions which are not known to be good to engines to put it rather mildly. Don't be fooled. The manufacturer choose the catalytic converter for your application scientifically, i wonder what science our mechanics use to determine the right amount of tire wires, metal mosquito nets or muffler material to stuck. Don't be fooled

4. Catalytic converters go bad by being clogged or poisoned. By buying a used catalytic converter can you guarantee that either has not happened? There is no catalytic converter remanufacture certification or accreditation program here. You might end up buying junk, and if there were emission testing conducted here, your car would fail it.

5. If you have ever needed to change your cat more than once, then beware there is a condition that needs to be addressed. Cats are not supposed to be changed as if they were a service item like plugs!

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-troubleshoot-catalytic-converters.html

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by fleetcarz: 8:33am On Nov 21, 2013
This is most likely what happened to my friends car though he cannot prove it since he never checked his was there even though his car got worse weeks after a ten day stay at a mechanic shop in Lagos waiting for parts he ordered from USA to arrive.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by watchful(m): 9:01am On Nov 21, 2013
car doctor ur information is very educative thank u so much for greatin d awarenes to d pple dat hav nt heard of such,but I also wana remind u dat dis catalist tin sometimes become a treat to d car if it has been expired I mean It would block d exose totally & nd wen dis hapens dat means d engine in a great risk of knockin down unles it was removed or replaced, This has been my business 4 years now, nd I can tel u It brings food 2 my table,but let me make it clear I am nt doing any ilegal tin ,such lik .1.buying it off d knowlage of d owner 2. I hav customers who sales dis to me for years now without any problem,I tink if they ar into any malpratice d story could ve changed
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:24am On Nov 21, 2013
watchful: car doctor ur information is very educative thank u so much for greatin d awarenes to d pple dat hav nt heard of such,but I also wana remind u dat dis catalist tin sometimes become a treat to d car if it has been expired I mean It would block d exose totally & nd wen dis hapens dat means d engine in a great risk of knockin down unles it was removed or replaced, This has been my business 4 years now, nd I can tel u It brings food 2 my table,but let me make it clear I am nt doing any ilegal tin ,such lik .1.buying it off d knowlage of d owner 2. I hav customers who sales dis to me for years now without any problem,I tink if they ar into any malpratice d story could ve changed

i guess you mean the cat got plugged. then it should be replaced, preferably with new not used, and before replacing a thorough check should be made of the car air intake, fuel/air/spark and exhaust sub-systems so it works as was manufactured
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Issyman(m): 9:45am On Nov 21, 2013
olumide4christ:

Mr. Issyman, is this the sparkling Toyota Camry you bought through Jelad a few weeks ago
yes it is. I think the major problem here is that its either the catalyst is removed or expired. what is the average life span of the catalyst? a mechanic first checked and told me its there while the panel beater told its not. I don't trust both judgement until I have time to have it checked maybe it was there or not or expired.
I think another issue we also have to bear in mind is that we are all buying fairly used cars (tokunbo). to me its a matter of luck. this cars have been used for average ten years depending on the model, so we don't expect it to be performing or be intact like a brand new.
sincerely speaking, jelad ventures by my own experience with him is sincere enough for an average Nigerian biz guy.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by malipalina: 10:01am On Nov 21, 2013
@ ops(car Doctor) where is your workshop in Abuja ? how do we contact u pls? your post is very useful.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Mystery11(m): 12:13pm On Nov 21, 2013
Very informative,

How about directly imported cars from USA and cleared from Lagos ports.Is the catalyst safe at the Lagos ports
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by kuntash: 2:15pm On Nov 21, 2013
jp philips: @ car doctor;

When i bought my ride from an Agent here in Nigeria, the check engine light came on after a few days, so i used the VIN to track the ride to realize the CAT was removed in the States because it has already failed emission test from the carfax report.

Now, i wanted to replace it, then I connected my OBD2 scanner and drove a full tank twice, did same for my friends car, same model, same year and my fuel consumption was lower than his, till date i still drive around with the MLT light on.

Can you explain this unprecedented phenomenon?

in my little learning and research about catalytic converters, aside emission control, there seem practically nothing else ESPECIALLY FOR CARS WITH NO OXYGEN SENSOR AFTER the catalyst... however, for cars with sensors after the converter, there seem to be a correlation between the ECU, and the sensor before it that tells on the amount of oxygen in the fumes.. thus regulating fuel supply by the ECU.

the catalyst on its on is a restriction on the outbust of exhaust on the engine, so in your case its possible you had no oxygen sensor after the catalyst, moreso, your friends car could be having other hidden issues which you never can tell even with a scanner, for example the Mass air flow meter of your car could be cleaner than that in your friend's car and that's a major issue... check the exhaust pipe end of both cars for soot...

Catalytic converters seem more related to Laws governing emission controls especially in the US.. , I think i have read somewhere where they say some people do remove theirs in Europe, for better flow.. grin

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by specco(m): 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
specco: I am posting this with a heavy heart. I just came back from my mechanic where after inspection it was confirmed that the 'catalyst' in my exhaust pipe has been removed! Just acquired this toyota car some days back from a car dealer somewhere in Maryland area of Lagos and had been wondering at the rate at which it guzzles fuel, even much more than the old mercedes I used to have. Then off to the mechanic I went this afternoon only to be told the bitter truth(catalyst converter stolen) and to replace it will deplete my account by N18,000. This is very sad indeed.

Yea guys, I have finally replaced the stolen catalyst and my car is now rocking. I used half as much fuel to and fro work today in the same car that used to 'drink' fuel! The fuel economy is now performing excellently. I went to Ladipo with my mechanic and got it for N15,000 and paid N4,500 for labour. There should have been no need for all these stress if people were honest and less crooked in their deeds. Nevertheless, I am happy.
But pls car gurus, the check light on my dashboard is still on. Do you think there's any more problem and what can make this light to go off?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Eyop: 7:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
specco:

Yea guys, I have finally replaced the stolen catalyst and my car is now rocking. I used half as much fuel to and fro work today in the same car that used to 'drink' fuel! The fuel economy is now performing excellently. I went to Ladipo with my mechanic and got it for N15,000 and paid N4,500 for labour. There should have been no need for all these stress if people were honest and less crooked in their deeds. Nevertheless, I am happy.
But pls car gurus, the check light on my dashboard is still on. Do you think there's any more problem and what can make this light to go off?

Congratulations Specco. Yeah it will be on until you clear it off with the scanner. Just look out for any workshop that has a good scanner and have it cleared.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Any Policeman Checking Vehicle Particulars Is On Illegal Duty – AIG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.