Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? (24550 Views)

Photo:which Would You Pick, The Car Or The Model? / Photos: Would You Drive This Car Or Sell It If It Was Given To You? / Quiz: Which Is Faster On Autox, A Modern Porsche Sports Car Or A Shifter Gokart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by pragmatistm(m): 7:40am On Oct 06, 2015
I recently changed my nissan primera p11 144 car's MAF. Pictures of the MAF attached.

Not quite long also I did rust scrapping off from under the car from both each back wheel to the other and painted the whole rusty portions with black paint after thorough sandpaper work.

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uwemjack(m): 3:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
So I have carried out the following diy on my car - 1998 Toyota Camry, 1mz-fe 3.0l.
1. Replaced rear left hand side ABS sensor - 'Kazeem' spoiled the original one while replacing the rear shock absorber..
2. Replaced both front and rear stabilizer linkage bushing
3. Replaced valve cover gasket and sparkplug seals
4. Replaced front and rear break pads.
5. Drained and replaced engine oil, replaced engine oil filter
5. Replaced air filter
6. Replaced timing belt, alternator belt and Power steering pump belt.
7. Replaced broken traficating light front
8. Installed aftermarket foglights.
9. Replaced spark plugs
10. Replaced ignition coil wires
11. Replaced broken ignition coil connector
12. Replaced ignition coil
13. Replaced stock dashboard lights with red led lights to match radio lights
14. Replaced stock radio and CD player with aftermarket
15. Replaced rear indicator light bulbs
16. Replaced headlight bulbs
17. Installed after market keyless entry system
18. Sanded and washed headlamps
19. Sprayed the front bumber

Outstanding diy
1. Install water pump, camshaft seals, idler pulleys and tensioner. Could not loose the rear camshaft bolt when I changed the timing belt, so am waiting to get the camshaft holding tool.
2. Replace valve seals - my engine smokes at start up.
3. Replace front passenger external door handle

That's about it
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by tunergy(m): 7:05pm On Oct 06, 2015
uwemjack:
So I have carried out the following diy on my car - 1998 Toyota Camry, 1mz-fe 3.0l.
1. Replaced rear left hand side ABS sensor - 'Kazeem' spoiled the original one while replacing the rear shock absorber..
2. Replaced both front and rear stabilizer linkage bushing
3. Replaced valve cover gasket and sparkplug seals
4. Replaced front and rear break pads.
5. Drained and replaced engine oil, replaced engine oil filter
5. Replaced air filter
6. Replaced timing belt, alternator belt and Power steering pump belt.
7. Replaced broken traficating light front
8. Installed aftermarket foglights.
9. Replaced spark plugs
10. Replaced ignition coil wires
11. Replaced broken ignition coil connector
12. Replaced ignition coil
13. Replaced stock dashboard lights with red led lights to match radio lights
14. Replaced stock radio and CD player with aftermarket
15. Replaced rear indicator light bulbs
16. Replaced headlight bulbs
17. Installed after market keyless entry system
18. Sanded and washed headlamps
19. Sprayed the front bumber

Outstanding diy
1. Install water pump, camshaft seals, idler pulleys and tensioner. Could not loose the rear camshaft bolt when I changed the timing belt, so am waiting to get the camshaft holding tool.
2. Replace valve seals - my engine smokes at start up.
3. Replace front passenger external door handle

That's about it

Beam the Interior, lets see hoe the Reds look like.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uwemjack(m): 11:29am On Oct 07, 2015
tunergy:

Beam the Interior, lets see hoe the Reds look like.

Ok! Will take a picture this evening

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2015
uwemjack:

Ok! Will take a picture this evening

Waiting eagerly....
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uwemjack(m): 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2015
Piyke:

Waiting eagerly....

There it is

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2015
uwemjack:

There it is

Really coooool! love it!
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uwemjack(m): 10:29pm On Oct 09, 2015
Piyke:

Really coooool! love it!

cool grin
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 8:53am On Oct 21, 2015
Piyke:
Replaced my driver door actuator yesterday! Should be dishing out the DIY procedure soon. You can catch a lot of my repairs on my blog: www.diyautoworksng.com

In case you need the DIY procedure on the replacement of the driver door lock actuator for the 2003-2007 Accord, I've done the post!
Catch it here http://www.diyautoworksng.com/replacement-of-driver-door-actuator-on-2003-2007-honda-accord/
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2015
Piyke:
Nice, Eriko2k2 for bringing this back. I've done quite a lot since this last post.

All those planned, I have carried out. In addition, I've replaced my valve cover gasket, checked valve clearances, replaced vtc filter assembly, replaced vtec solenoid spool valve filter, changed secondary O2 sensor and a still have a few tasks planned. Will list them in a bit.

Last weekend I revisited my valves clearance. Although I had done this before as highlighted, I clearly remember that the hot sun came up on me by the time I started checking the valve clearances. In fact the valves and other metal components of the engine were very hot to touch. I was sweating. It was that hot. The instruction requires that the engine temp be under 38oC for you to do a valve adjustment on Hondas. When I started the engine was stone-cold. I didn't get any valves out of range anyway but It wasn't until recently that I thought the direct sun on the valve train could have affected the observed clearances.

This time I was parked under a shade cool and had to tighten my intake valves on cylinder 1 and 3 and loosen exhaust valves on cylinder 3. Took loads of pics so should be posting the DIY procedure as well. (NB: 2003 Accord 4cyl is the car in question)
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by blackfm: 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
05 corolla LE DIY so far.
I) drained and replaced engine oil with milemaster 5w30 and Denso oil filter
2) removed and repaired dash clock, soldiered the capacitors( greatest achievement grin)
3) changed serpentine belt
4) replaced broken driver side rear light

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by earthrealm(m): 8:37am On Nov 12, 2015
replaced the 6 plugs on my 4runner,
cleaned the maf
cleaned the throttle body
replaced engine and ac air filter
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 6:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
Piyke:

Last weekend I revisited my valves clearance. Although I had done this before as highlighted, I clearly remember that the hot sun came up on me by the time I started checking the valve clearances. In fact the valves and other metal components of the engine were very hot to touch. I was sweating. It was that hot. The instruction requires that the engine temp be under 38oC for you to do a valve adjustment on Hondas. When I started the engine was stone-cold. I didn't get any valves out of range anyway but It wasn't until recently that I thought the direct sun on the valve train could have affected the observed clearances.

This time I was parked under a shade cool and had to tighten my intake valves on cylinder 1 and 3 and loosen exhaust valves on cylinder 3. Took loads of pics so should be posting the DIY procedure as well. (NB: 2003 Accord 4cyl is the car in question)
Nice one, Last DIY I did for my Bima was the changing of the brake pads ad upgrading to 17", however I have loads of DIY to do to my Jeep liberty when I get to Nigeria circa 2nd week of December. List of DIY IM doing to the Jeep
1 Change of Air filter
2 Change of MAF sensor
3 Change of all 4 O2 sensors
4 Change of front Swing bar Bushings(there are 2)
5 Change of front swing bar Linking rods(2 of them)
6 change of rear upper control arm plus bushing
7 Change of oil and Oil filter
8 Change of Engine thermostat
9 change of Auto belt tensioner
10 Change of all 6 spark plugs
11 change of #4 Ignition coil
12 Pass side window mechanism
13 Ignition Switch
14 Ignition key actuator
15 Engine temperature sensor.
Phew I got a big Job on my hand I have bought all parts and tools needed, but I know it will be fun, there is always going to be cold bottle of origin by the side curtsey of the Mrs.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 1:28pm On Nov 13, 2015
erico2k2:

Nice one, Last DIY I did for my Bima was the changing of the brake pads ad upgrading to 17", however I have loads of DIY to do to my Jeep liberty when I get to Nigeria circa 2nd week of December. List of DIY IM doing to the Jeep
1 Change of Air filter
2 Change of MAF sensor
3 Change of all 4 O2 sensors
4 Change of front Swing bar Bushings(there are 2)
5 Change of front swing bar Linking rods(2 of them)
6 change of rear upper control arm plus bushing
7 Change of oil and Oil filter
8 Change of Engine thermostat
9 change of Auto belt tensioner
10 Change of all 6 spark plugs
11 change of #4 Ignition coil
12 Pass side window mechanism
13 Ignition Switch
14 Ignition key actuator
15 Engine temperature sensor.
Phew I got a big Job on my hand I have bought all parts and tools needed, but I know it will be fun, there is always going to be cold bottle of origin by the side curtsey of the Mrs.

Seems like you'll have your hands full. Only one scheduled for me for Xmas is changing my PS bearing.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Denn(m): 3:46pm On Nov 13, 2015
Cherokee XJ 4.0l 1990 model:
Installed recommended serpentine belt. Previous kazeem had used a shorter belt with the water pump going the wrong direction.

Installed new ground wires on broken spots.

Deleted cruise control module. The vehicle has no cruise control functionality but the module was installed from factory. It was under the dash and was dangling on the brake pedal.

Checked all fuses using a multimeter. Replaced cut ones.

Brand new battery

Volkswagen Beetle:
Engine oil change
Points and condenser replacement
Radio fuse replacement
Fuel filler cap replacement as previous one was stolen at the panel beater's
Carb cleaning and adjustment

Mercedes Benz w123
Fuel pump replacement
Oil change
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 9:50pm On Nov 13, 2015
Denn:
Cherokee XJ 4.0l 1990 model:
Installed recommended serpentine belt. Previous kazeem had used a shorter belt with the water pump going the wrong direction.

Installed new ground wires on broken spots.

Deleted cruise control module. The vehicle has no cruise control functionality but the module was installed from factory. It was under the dash and was dangling on the brake pedal.

Checked all fuses using a multimeter. Replaced cut ones.

Brand new battery

Volkswagen Beetle:
Engine oil change
Points and condenser replacement
Radio fuse replacement
Fuel filler cap replacement as previous one was stolen at the panel beater's
Carb cleaning and adjustment

Mercedes Benz w123
Fuel pump replacement
Oil change

Im a big fan of anything Jeep as I got the Jeep liberty,Jeeps are powerful vehicles if well looked after.Al those jobs listed by me are for my Liberty.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 9:53pm On Nov 13, 2015
Piyke:

Seems like you'll have your hands full. Only one scheduled for me for Xmas is changing my PS bearing.
yeh Bro i do, I don't know if you remember a year ago when we where talking about same stuff,I managed to change the entire rear axle assy, bought and shipped one from the US.Jan this year, I replaced all teh front suspensions except the bushing on the swing bar and the linkage bars which I'm going to do now,also I'm replacing the exhaust but that got to be welded hence I did not include it as it would be done by a panel beater
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Denn(m): 10:45pm On Nov 13, 2015
erico2k2:

Im a big fan of anything Jeep as I got the Jeep liberty,Jeeps are powerful vehicles if well looked after.Al those jobs listed by me are for my Liberty.

This is my first Jeep and I can assure you it won't be my last.

Vehicle is easy to work on if you can patiently follow online forums dedicated to it.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 6:11pm On Nov 14, 2015
Denn:

This is my first Jeep and I can assure you it won't be my last.

Vehicle is easy to work on if you can patiently follow online forums dedicated to it.
Cool
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
OK,I'm almost done with buying of all the parts I need to change on my Jeep liberty
1 Air Filter
2 O2 Sensors
3 Water Temperature Sensor
4 Tale Glass Gas lifters.

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
More here
5 Ignition Switch( I heard I need an Anti/theft Tox to lose and fix this)
6 Engine Thermostat
7 Serpentine Belt Automatic Tensioner
8 Front sway bar linkage

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2015
And of cos the front swing bar Bushings and Ignition Actuator Pin

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 5:54pm On Dec 06, 2015

I've updated the procedure for my valve clearance adjustment which I did recently.

Find it here: [url] http://www.diyautoworksng.com/valve-clearance-check-adjustment-on-2003-2007-accord/[/url]
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 9:22pm On Dec 06, 2015
Piyke:

I've updated the procedure for my valve clearance adjustment which I did recently.

Find it here: [url] http://www.diyautoworksng.com/valve-clearance-check-adjustment-on-2003-2007-accord/[/url]
cool shall have a look.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nyceguy92: 4:56am On Dec 08, 2015
[quote author=Piyke post=19646692]

I am mechanical minded.
Although not a mechanic, I have been around them and their workshops a lot.

Done the following repairs on my 1996 Camry:

1. Thermostat replacement.
2. Changed air intake hose
3. Changed air filter
4. Replaced radiator.
5. Changed front brake pads.
6. Replaced ignition lock cylinder ( 1998 Camry).
7. Replaced inner door handle trim.
8. Replaced driver side door lock.
9. Brake fluid flush.
10. Power window regulator replacement.
11. Replaced bulbs, etc.
12. Replaced windshield wipers

Planned work:
Need to change my sway bar links and bushings.
Tried recently but the 14mm nut was tough to loosen.
Oil and transmission fluid change have not caught my fancy yet.

If one develops the interest and consults relevant resources, these repairs are easy to do, especially if your car is not complex.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nyceguy92: 5:11am On Dec 08, 2015
[quote author=ZIMDRILL post=19680890]

Thumbs up!
Looks like you have had some training before.
Or is it just pure interest in doing things yourself?
DIYs do better job and pay more attention to detail.
Saves money, too.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by RazaqMB(m): 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
uwemjack:

There it is
got inspired and changed mine to.. from green to white

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uwemjack(m): 11:31pm On Jan 06, 2016
RazaqMB:

Nice
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 9:12pm On Jan 07, 2016
RazaqMB:

Nice, has a fresh feeling to it.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 9:14pm On Jan 07, 2016
@erico2k2 Howfar?
We need a report on all those dem DIY scheduled for the Christmas period smiley
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
I finally found the cause of my front end rattle at low speeds over uneven roads...a broken right engine mount

As usual I DIY'ed the replacement. Details here: http://www.diyautoworksng.com/replacing-the-right-engine-mount-on-the-2003-2007-accord-or-2004-2008-acura-tltsx/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Dumps BF After Discovering His Porsche Cayenne Is Actually China-made / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.