Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,167 members, 7,807,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? (24554 Views)

Photo:which Would You Pick, The Car Or The Model? / Photos: Would You Drive This Car Or Sell It If It Was Given To You? / Quiz: Which Is Faster On Autox, A Modern Porsche Sports Car Or A Shifter Gokart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sammywemmy: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2017
Hi Piyke,

i got a p1399 on my honda pilot 2003. routine valve clearance adjustment was suggested as the solution. Can you guide me on where I can get the feeler gauges required for the job. How many hours is it? ...
Piyke:

Last weekend I revisited my valves clearance. Although I had done this before as highlighted, I clearly remember that the hot sun came up on me by the time I started checking the valve clearances. In fact the valves and other metal components of the engine were very hot to touch. I was sweating. It was that hot. The instruction requires that the engine temp be under 38oC for you to do a valve adjustment on Hondas. When I started the engine was stone-cold. I didn't get any valves out of range anyway but It wasn't until recently that I thought the direct sun on the valve train could have affected the observed clearances.

This time I was parked under a shade cool and had to tighten my intake valves on cylinder 1 and 3 and loosen exhaust valves on cylinder 3. Took loads of pics so should be posting the DIY procedure as well. (NB: 2003 Accord 4cyl is the car in question)
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 4:06pm On Jan 05, 2017
sammywemmy:
Hi Piyke,

i got a p1399 on my honda pilot 2003. routine valve clearance adjustment was suggested as the solution. Can you guide me on where I can get the feeler gauges required for the job. How many hours is it? ...

I believe Pilots are V6 so 24 valves (12 intake and 12 exhaust). Duration of the job depends, if its your first time, I would say budget 4hrs. I would advise you get the curved feeler gauges because of the orientation of the valve latches (Adanny01 how difficult is it to use straight feeler gauges?). Got mine on Amazon, will try to get you the link. If you do consider getting from Amazon you can pick up the jamnut tool as well makes it easier but not compulsory.
You may find this my post on the procedure useful;
http://www.diyautoworksng.com/valve-clearance-check-adjustment-on-2003-2007-accord/

The principles in the post are the same, differences include the fact that the firing order for your engine is different.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by adanny01(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2017
Piyke:

I believe Pilots are V6 so 24 valves (12 intake and 12 exhaust). Duration of the job depends, if its your first time, I would say budget 4hrs. I would advise you get the curved feeler gauges because of the orientation of the valve latches (Adanny01 how difficult is it to use straight feeler gauges?). Got mine on Amazon, will try to get you the link. If you do consider getting from Amazon you can pick up the jamnut tool as well makes it easier but not compulsory.
http://www.diyautoworksng.com/valve-clearance-check-adjustment-on-2003-2007-accord/

The principles in the post are the same, differences include the fact that the firing order for your engine is different.

I think difficulty levels depends on the type of car and how recessed the valve lash are or how exposed they are. On our car (03 accord I4) the engine is slightly tilted back wards into the firewall but has a lot of space there. With the flat feeler gauge, the cylinders closer to the my standing position were easier while the farthest (no 4 cylinder was most difficult). Also, because of the tilt and the fact that the lash are a little bit recessed, to accurately feel the drag on the gauge is tricky. I had to bend my feeler gauge to get the correct tilt level before feeling the drag. The gauge is stainless steel so easy to bend without breakage. I did mine 3 times before i got it quite.

For a V6, i guess the difficulty level will be higher because of the increased tilt of both banks and the fact that a pilot will be high so accessing bank 2 especially while standing on the ground or on a stool will be more difficult.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by adanny01(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2017
sammywemmy:
Hi Piyke,

I once saw feeler gauge in Shoprite Jabi lake, you may be lucky if they have constant supply and you are in Abj.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sammywemmy: 7:07am On Jan 06, 2017
I am based in ph. Thanks though, I will search Amazon for d feeler gauges if no reliable option here in nigeria.
adanny01:

I once saw feeler gauge in Shoprite Jabi lake, you may be lucky if they have constant supply and you are in Abj.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sammywemmy: 7:08am On Jan 06, 2017
Thanks man. I will wait for d Amazon links from you.
Piyke:

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2017
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by shotuns: 4:56pm On Jan 07, 2017
Piyke:
As I prep for my next DIY(As listed in the 1st post) here are some of the parts which I got from the states:
1. Automatic tensioner
a. Front view

b. Rear view

2. Power steering repair kit

3. Serpentine belt

Bro, can you please share the web link you got those parts from. Would be appreciated. I'd like to compare with eBay if it's a different website.
Thanks.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by shotuns: 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2017
erico2k2:
More here
5 Ignition Switch( I heard I need an Anti/theft Tox to lose and fix this)
6 Engine Thermostat
7 Serpentine Belt Automatic Tensioner
8 Front sway bar linkage

@erico2k2. Do you have a work shop?
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sammywemmy: 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2017
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 1:51am On Jan 09, 2017
shotuns:

Bro, can you please share the web link you got those parts from. Would be appreciated. I'd like to compare with eBay if it's a different website.
Thanks.

I think they were from Amazon. At least I'm sure of the PS rebuild kit and the serpentine belt. The tensioner I guess was from RockAuto.com or Amazon as well
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 09, 2017
Recently did a lot of stuff with more to go.

You can follow my thread at http://naijadrives.com/forums/topic/2007-mini-cooper-s/

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by shotuns: 4:45pm On Jan 09, 2017
@piyke, I check on Rockauto.com , their stock is pretty cool and well documented based on every parts you can think of on any car. My questions is have you ever bought anything from them and how reliable is their services including payment options?

Piyke:

I think they were from Amazon. At least I'm sure of the PS rebuild kit and the serpentine belt. The tensioner I guess was from RockAuto.com or Amazon as well
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
shotuns:
@piyke, I check on Rockauto.com , their stock is pretty cool and well documented based on every parts you can think of on any car. My questions is have you ever bought anything from them and how reliable is their services including payment options?

I have dealt with them on multiple occassions; very reliable and generally cheaper than Amazon prices. You will have to pay by paypal except you have a US based bank account as I do not think they accept cards from banks outside the US.

However, their system does not have reviews, I usually copy the part number to Amazon to see if the product is listed there with user reviews.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by shotuns: 12:58am On Jan 15, 2017
Thanks.
I made my first purchace using Paypal funded with a GTB naira master card and a Union pay card. it went smoothly. As you have said , there are no reviews so what I did was I bought 2 different things $20 worth to test the system and was shipped in less than 4 hours after payment .Waiting for it to be delivered.

Piyke:

I have dealt with them on multiple occassions; very reliable and generally cheaper than Amazon prices. You will have to pay by paypal except you have a US based bank account as I do not think they accept cards from banks outside the US.

However, their system does not have reviews, I usually copy the part number to Amazon to see if the product is listed there with user reviews.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 12:10am On Jan 31, 2017
DIYs loading...

1. Replacement of radiator: Current one leaks sad. Wanted to stick with single panel (single cell), so got this Denso aftermarket (after-all Denso makes the OEM version).

2. Upgrade to Ceramic brakes: The rotors I resurfaced last year have started their dance again angry. Will get the rotors locally. Peeps in the house best locally available rotor for 03 Accord 4cyl The last one I used was that one that comes in orange waterproof wrapping. Came across Asimco once but haven't sighted it again. Its best to replace pads with rotors.

3. Replacing my transmission 2nd & 3rd pressure switches: Just preventive

Parts just came in wink
Car just clocked 220k miles BTW

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 12:01pm On Jan 31, 2017
shotuns:

@erico2k2. Do you have a work shop?
no bro, I dont
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 12:02pm On Jan 31, 2017
Piyke:
DIYs loading...

1. Replacement of radiator: Current one leaks sad. Wanted to stick with single panel (single cell), so got this Denso aftermarket (after-all Denso makes the OEM version).

2. Upgrade to Ceramic brakes: The rotors I resurfaced last year have started their dance again angry. Will get the rotors locally. Peeps in the house best locally available rotor for 03 Accord 4cyl The last one I used was that one that comes in orange waterproof wrapping. Came across Asimco once but haven't sighted it again. Its best to replace pads with rotors.

Parts just came in wink
Nice one, I just replaced two front shock, but cos of sroing compression device, I had to take it to the workshop
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 01, 2017
Piyke:
DIYs loading...

Parts just came in wink
Oga edakun Pls post pics so we ur students can learn from your interesting practical class.
With your mileage would you do the general servicing of oil change and oil filter change as well?
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by krisrock(m): 8:16am On Feb 01, 2017
RazaqMB:
got inspired and changed mine to.. from green to white
I need these white bulbs for mine as well. Please where can i Buy dem. Post link if possible. Thanks
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by krisrock(m): 1:56pm On Feb 01, 2017
uwemjack:
So I have carried out the following diy on my car - 1998 Toyota Camry, 1mz-fe 3.0l.
1. Replaced rear left hand side ABS sensor - 'Kazeem' spoiled the original one while replacing the rear shock absorber..
2. Replaced both front and rear stabilizer linkage bushing
3. Replaced valve cover gasket and sparkplug seals
4. Replaced front and rear break pads.
5. Drained and replaced engine oil, replaced engine oil filter
5. Replaced air filter
6. Replaced timing belt, alternator belt and Power steering pump belt.
7. Replaced broken traficating light front
8. Installed aftermarket foglights.
9. Replaced spark plugs
10. Replaced ignition coil wires
11. Replaced broken ignition coil connector
12. Replaced ignition coil
13. Replaced stock dashboard lights with red led lights to match radio lights
14. Replaced stock radio and CD player with aftermarket
15. Replaced rear indicator light bulbs
16. Replaced headlight bulbs
17. Installed after market keyless entry system
18. Sanded and washed headlamps
19. Sprayed the front bumber

Outstanding diy
1. Install water pump, camshaft seals, idler pulleys and tensioner. Could not loose the rear camshaft bolt when I changed the timing belt, so am waiting to get the camshaft holding tool.
2. Replace valve seals - my engine smokes at start up.
3. Replace front passenger external door handle

That's about it
Please I need to get the white of the bulb you used. Can you point me in the right direction. Thanks
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by RazaqMB(m): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2017
krisrock:

I need these white bulbs for mine as well. Please where can i Buy dem. Post link if possible. Thanks
got mine from aliexpress. Just go to the site and search for T10 led bulbs
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by krisrock(m): 7:03pm On Feb 01, 2017
RazaqMB:
got mine from aliexpress. Just go to the site and search for T10 led bulbs
I can see alot of them but not sure exactly which one would work. Please if you can be more specific. Thanks
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by RazaqMB(m): 6:22am On Feb 02, 2017
krisrock:

I can see alot of them but not sure exactly which one would work. Please if you can be more specific. Thanks
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32592860012.html
Try this. I most times read reviews before picking items
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by chukel(m): 9:50am On Feb 03, 2017
Piyke:

they accept our cards. I buy from them too.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by chukel(m): 9:53am On Feb 03, 2017
Piyke:
DIYs loading...

Parts just came in wink
are u not looking for trouble with those transmission pressure switches. Those things are not part of preventive maintenance.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:07pm On Feb 03, 2017
chukel:
are u not looking for trouble with those transmission pressure switches. Those things are not part of preventive maintenance.

Just like Honda does not list replacement of the transmission filter as part of preventive maintenance. I had an experience that totally convinced me that the replacement of the transmission filter should be part of routine maintenance. Other authorities online also agree on this.

If you Google the replacement of transmission pressure switches you will find that they deteriorate over time, besides nothing bad in putting in a new part wink.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:09pm On Feb 03, 2017
chukel:
they accept our cards. I buy from them too.

Accept our cards directly? That's cool. Thank God Paypal doesn't charge any commission
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2017
dumo1:

Oga edakun Pls post pics so we ur students can learn from your interesting practical class.
With your mileage would you do the general servicing of oil change and oil filter change as well?

Sure. Will post the video on my blog (diyautoworksng.com). I do my oil and filter change regularly without fail.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by epidi(m): 11:36am On Feb 05, 2017
blackfm:
05 corolla LE DIY so far.
I) drained and replaced engine oil with milemaster 5w30 and Denso oil filter
2) removed and repaired dash clock, soldiered the capacitors( greatest achievement grin)
3) changed serpentine belt
4) replaced broken driver side rear light

can you give me a step by step rundown on how you achieved your number 2?
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by shotuns: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2017
Sienna is here in style....I am very sure of that. I can see him around in style. Haha
cc Sienna

dumo1:

Yeah I know right. That guy is the DaVinci of automobile repairs. I follow his thread bumper to bumper and the man just inspired me to pursue my hidden dreams in automobile engineering.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by blackfm: 7:26am On Feb 08, 2017
epidi:

can you give me a step by step rundown on how you achieved your number 2?
Just google 2005 corolla clock repair and watch the video on YouTube

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Dumps BF After Discovering His Porsche Cayenne Is Actually China-made / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.