Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,522 members, 7,801,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (61962 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ICEMAN(m): 3:11pm On May 03, 2015
It is impressive and inspiring to read posts such as these. As Nigeria gets older as a nation as a people ethnic divisions should become a thing of the past. A typical example is that I am an Igbo whose first cousins are Yoruba, Hausa, Calabar and Bonny in Rivers State. We have been brought up to love and assist one another. There are no ethnic divisions between us and we enjoy each other's hometown's and cultures. That also includes the VIP treatment when you go to their hometowns. My closest friend in life is Yoruba and he is my mother's adopted son and as good as my biological brother. We should not limit ourselves. A house divided itself cannot stand. We are Nigeria and may GOD Bless us all!

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 03, 2015
vanbonattel:

ok ooo , but wait, did you believe the lectures where oduduwa dropped from the sky and didn't break his spinal cord grin

Oga I nor know oo...me self nor like the subject...na so so E8 I dey score at the end of every term...I just dey listen for listening sake....

Cheers

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Idrismusty97(m): 3:13pm On May 03, 2015
Ife is no man's land...
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 4chi: 3:13pm On May 03, 2015
The writer of this trash is sick in the head. Prince chima ko, prince china ni! Pray what exactly is this Igbo fixation with Yoruba history? Typical of most primitive people, yeeboos have formed the penchant for FABRICATING their history.they even got some sort of pseudo intellectual fraudulent support from the likes of "prof" catherine acholonu whom the gods recently deleted from existence due to her persistence in fabricating and redecorating the "history" of a clearly primitive African tribe. At a time,the fool was all over the diaspora creating confusion and ascribing some sort of funny relationship between Igbo and Yorubas. The height of it was her linking ijebu Igbo to Igbo land conveniently ignoring the fact that Igbo in Yoruba simply means deep jungle or marihuana in modern lingo.

Try as much as you can, it is settled fact that you guys were and are village dwellers with no monarchy,no empire, no urbanization ,no notable historical personality,no notable war fought(your arse was whooped in the only one you fought in modern times), no developed religion or spirituality like the ifa corpus in yorubaland etc prior to the arrival of the whiteman.

Listen up all you ibo wannabes, the Yorubas have absolutely NOTHING in common with you apart from the useless green passport we are forced to carry..May the thousand Orishas of ife make the ground very slippery for all who engage in latter day "ibo made" history

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ChristyG(f): 3:14pm On May 03, 2015
Funjosh:

I just did, It does make a good point but its a TRASH lipsrsealed
big time thrash.these are ibos are scumbags.one yoruba words means different things.so because they see igbo,they think it must have something to do with their useless tribe

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 03, 2015
ChristyG:
u wish biatch.u useless ibo animals should stop trying to rewrite history.the igbo(ugbo) people are the ilaje people of the present day ondo state who first stayed in ile ife.it has nothing to do with ur pathetic tribe.the dialect differences what make s it different.most yorubas from ondo,ekiti,ilesha will spell it as ugbo while other yorubas will spell it as igbo which mean forest.it has no correlation with that d.u.,m.b story the op wrote.u ibos should pls try and use ur brains.igbo means forest in yoruba.forest people not the demonic rotten ibo tribe
why re u always dropping hot smelling amala cu..m on ur pant everytime u see the word igbo? may God hve pity on ur life useless onye gbegiri

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by klevjey: 3:18pm On May 03, 2015
ChristyG:
u wish biatch.u useless ibo animals should stop trying to rewrite history.the igbo(ugbo) people are the ilaje people of the present day ondo state who first stayed in ile ife.it has nothing to do with ur pathetic tribe.the dialect differences what make s it different.most yorubas from ondo,ekiti,ilesha will spell it as ugbo while other yorubas will spell it as igbo which mean forest.it has no correlation with that d.u.,m.b story the op wrote.u ibos should pls try and use ur brains.igbo means forest in yoruba.forest people not the demonic rotten ibo tribe

Yoruba in Ibo means rat poison...so what igbo means doesnt matter as long as its ur language...but truth be told...THE IBOS CREATED THE YORUBA RACE...GO CHECK HISTORY WELL

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 4chi: 3:18pm On May 03, 2015
cahnellven:
Stop twisting history
The ife Ugbos are now part of the ILAJES in coastal ondo state
(UGBOLAND is the largest kingdom in ILAJE area of ondo state.

The paramount ruler of the kingdom is the richest monarch in Nigeria and the second richest in Africa.
The Igbo's have never been locals of any part of YORUBA land.

Dont distort history....... It will do you no GOOD

It's funny how yeeboos wants to be everybody but NOBODY wants to be Igbo! Sucks to be Igbo really.

15 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by vanbonattel: 3:19pm On May 03, 2015
ChristyG:
big time thrash.these are ibos are scumbags.one yoruba words means different things.so because they see igbo,they think it must have something to do with their useless tribe
stop twisting and lying, ijebu igbo is a village in Igboland. Fact.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Funjosh(m): 3:20pm On May 03, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Ife is no man's land...
Becareful, Ife is not Lagos that you guys can just talk about any how.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by vanbonattel: 3:20pm On May 03, 2015
klevjey:

Yoruba in Ibo means rat poison...so what igbo means doesnt matter as long as its ur language...but truth be told...THE IBOS CREATED THE YORUBA RACE...GO CHECK HISTORY WELL

heheheheheh falls into pit laterine grin

4 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 03, 2015
klevjey:

nowonder awolowo drank otapiapia

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by vanbonattel: 3:23pm On May 03, 2015
ANAMBRA11:
why re u always dropping hot smelling amala cu..m on ur pant everytime u see the word igbo? may God hve pity on ur life useless onye gbegiri

gets me laughing every time I see yoruba defending their territory, one Nigeria!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ujupsy: 3:23pm On May 03, 2015
This thread is interesting,wait ,Do you mean to say some Yoruba are distance relation to a part of igbo

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 03, 2015
4chi:

It's funny how yeeboos wants to be everybody but NOBODY wants to be Igbo! Sucks to be Igbo really.
shatap mumu yorubas want to be igbo more than vice versa, in lagos most good looking yoruba girls re being called omo ibo

5 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by riddler4real(m): 3:25pm On May 03, 2015
ladionline:
[b]After the dispersal, the aborigines, the Igbo, became difficult, and constituted a serious threat to the survival of Ife. Thought to be survivors of the old occupants of the land before the arrival of Oduduwa, these people now turned themselves into marauders. They would come to town in costumes made of raffia with terrible and fearsome appearances, and the Ife people would flee. Then the Igbo would burn down houses and loot the markets. Then came Moremi on the scene - like Deborah of the Old Testament. When no man could dare the Igbos, Moremi asked the Esinminrin river for help and promised to give offerings if she could save her people. The orisa told her to allow herself to be captured and to understudy the Igbo people. She did, and discovered that these were not spirits; only people with raffia for dress. She escaped, and taught her people the trick. The next time that Igbo people came to sack the town, the townspeople set fire on their raffia costumes, and they were roundly defeated. Moremi then had to go back to Esinminrin to thank the gods. Every offering she offered was refused. On divination, she was told that she had to give Oluorogbo, her only son. She did. The lesson of Moremi is the lesson of patriotism and selflessness. The reward may not be reaped in one’s life time. Moremi passed on and became a member of the Yoruba pantheon . The Edi festival celebrates the defeat of the Igbo and the sacrifice of Oluorogbo till today.[/b]

Bro, you are more magnanimous than the writers of that epic. If it were to be "Yoruba" that is given in the post in place of "Igbo", they will tear that write-up into shreds and glorify the hate, but in spite of this, you still control your temper till now. Well I am not from Ile-Ife, but the post is written with today "Igbo" in mind, they could not be writing about the Igbo in Ile Ife traditions this way. The writer may be unaware that the Igbo in Ife tradition is the same as Igbo in Ile Ife today, hence the sensationalizing. why must it end the post? O jo gate kojo gate...

But i think the poster of the article said the Igbos in the Ife Epic is unrelated to the present Ibo people
. What do you think?

You are funny, so you think you can distort history with your fairy tale. I am a student of history and from what I was taught. Oduduwa came from the ancient Benin kingdom. Not the east. He was the royal heir to the throne. After the death of His father the King of Benin and the plot against his life by his half brothers, brothers and step mother, he left benin with his entourage and settled in a town within present day Edo state. That town shared a border with Present day Ondo state and yoruba was widely spoken there as their traditional language even as at today.

Oduduwa was gifted in magic and black arts, part of which gave him popularity everywhere he went. From there he gathered many loyalist whom he enjoined as his entourage wandering from one town to the other until he settled in Ife and became useful to them with his black arts and magic. He was made King over ife town, for helping them overcome in their time of urgent need.

After the death of the subsequent King in Benin, by an unknown cause, the chiefs requested that Oduduwa should return back as King, which he refused. So he sent his son instead, Hence the title Oba being used till this very day.

The word Oduduwa in Benin has several meanings. E.g The road to wealth and Great god....

Do you think Oduduwa is a yoruba word? or Eastern?

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RolePlay(m): 3:28pm On May 03, 2015
Funjosh:
Digging deep. I love this cool
Their is difference between IGBO = Forest and IGBO = IBO people. lipsrsealed

and IGBÒ = Weed
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ozoigbondu: 3:29pm On May 03, 2015
l thought oduduwa fell from the sky
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by fairheven: 3:30pm On May 03, 2015
Have. Always aSk My self..if Ibo aNd yOruba FInnish fighting and killing themselves and then Reach 'the under worlD' and found ouT they are two children fRom thE sAme father? yeepaa! embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Aregs(m): 3:33pm On May 03, 2015
vanbonattel:

and change your surname to aregs chukwudi grin
Omo yoruba lemi o, my name is Aregbesola Damilola from Osun state, Ilesha to be specific... I don't wanna be a shookwoodee [chukwudi]

7 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by illiad: 3:34pm On May 03, 2015
I hope the Yorubas can now stop their daily e-attack on Igbos, having now learn that IFE actually belong to Ndigbo but was stolen from them by these vicious yorubas!

But then again, they will not like this news, now that they have all discovered how they usurped the place of the Igbos in the heart of IFE. Now to cover up their shameful act, they would even increase their e-attack on innocent Igbos.

Bad people, this yorubas, claiming people's places since Obatala.

God don catch them today. Abeg make una give Igbos back their land for IFE and go take back your kwara from the HausaFulanis

7 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 03, 2015
4chi:
The writer of this trash is sick in the head. Prince chima ko, prince china ni! Pray what exactly is this Igbo fixation with Yoruba history? Typical of most primitive people, yeeboos have formed the penchant for FABRICATING their history.they even got some sort of pseudo intellectual fraudulent support from the likes of "prof" catherine acholonu whom the gods recently deleted from existence due to her persistence in fabricating and redecorating the "history" of a clearly primitive African tribe. At a time,the fool was all over the diaspora creating confusion and ascribing some sort of funny relationship between Igbo and Yorubas. The height of it was her linking ijebu Igbo to Igbo land conveniently ignoring the fact that Igbo in Yoruba simply means deep jungle or marihuana in modern lingo.

Try as much as you can, it is settled fact that you guys were and are village dwellers with no monarchy,no empire, no urbanization ,no notable historical personality,no notable war fought(your arse was whooped in the only one you fought in modern times), no developed religion or spirituality like the ifa corpus in yorubaland etc prior to the arrival of the whiteman.

Listen up all you ibo wannabes, the Yorubas have absolutely NOTHING in common with you apart from the useless green passport we are forced to carry..May the thousand Orishas of ife make the ground very slippery for all who engage in latter day "ibo made" history

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA grin...Not cool!!! Hey, Hey.. i am Igbo, not cool!!!! grin

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by fairheven: 3:35pm On May 03, 2015
ThAt awkward moment wen ibo and yoruba folks arE done fighting and killing themselves,then get to the 'under world' To realise thEy are of two children from the same fAther?yeepaa!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Eluwilussit(m): 3:36pm On May 03, 2015
Aregs:
Na Ibos get Ife, Lagos is a no man's land, Ibos are jews, na wetin we no go hear finish, tomorrow we go hear say na dem get China

So you never hear that one yet? Hmmm, you don board late o! grin

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by meforyou1(m): 3:39pm On May 03, 2015
Op, your Article said the igbo of Ife is unrelated to the igbos of present. Take note
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RolePlay(m): 3:39pm On May 03, 2015
Funjosh:
Digging deep. I love this cool
Their is difference between IGBO = Forest and IGBO = IBO people. lipsrsealed

and IGBÒ = Weed

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 03, 2015
Do they have tribal marks? grin
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by angelo82: 3:45pm On May 03, 2015
Don't mind that stupid analysis or should I call it magomago mathematical ways of laying claim to something that is not yours...........Something tells me those winrinwinrins might be asylum seekers in the ancient times judging from Yoruba hospitalities of peaceful coexistence............

macof:
Lol So ibos are the true inhabitants of Ile-Ife

U guys just like disturbing Yoruba people, wat concerns Igbo in Moremi's story to the lost Hebrews? aren't they Hebrews again? They now Ifes

This claim can't be taken seriously
It's totally false
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 03, 2015
ozoigbondu:
l thought oduduwa fell from the sky

Me too
I thought he fell gbigidim and landed on his two feet at ile ife

4 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 03, 2015
kevinberry:

Dafuck I said it,you guys own the whole of nigeria

Next is NIGER then CHAD..

Now it OGUN STATE...how do you expect me to know when am not a yoruba person..the little I was taught about the yoruba's during yoruba language @ ondo state..they never mention anything concerning the igbos when we were studying about ile-ife...all I was taught about is the likes of oduduwa,sango,orumila and the rest,plus their culture,lifestyle and food....

Oga if you like claim ekiti as an igbo land not my biz...

Wetin concern omo Edo with an igbo man....
They may claim edo too oooooo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 03, 2015
belltwelve:

Unknown to many, not all the Igbo aborigines of Ife followed Prince Chima, later Eze Chima out to their Anioma/Benin axis/ was sold into slavery to make up today’s Lucumi of the Americas/ assimilated into the culture of the Yorubas.

Some remain today in Ife, and are known as Iwinrin, Oluyare or Igare.

Kudos to the Yorubas who have encouraged peaceful coexistence with the Oluyare Igbos.

These Igbos live around Iwinrin, which has been described by Yoruba elders as Igbo town, and their chief is called Obawinrin.

They still play a very important role in Ife culture today, including in the famous Itapa Festival.

The Obawinrin is appointed by the Ooni of Ife.

Remember we have told you a lot about the Olukumis who followed Prince Chima, and we have also told you about the ones that were sold by their conquerors into slavery. We have told you that some of them remained and assimilated into the Yoruba race. These Oluyares are the ones that still maintain a presense in Ife till today.

All these fairy tales
Where is the source of these "tales by moonlight"
Our history is more of myths and handed down stories that are told differently by different people with salt and pepper added
Not much documented evidence of anything
No body in Nigeria can trace their ancestry and origin properly
It wasn't written anywhere and oral stories are not valid

Many nigerian parents aren't even sure of their proper date of birth

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Yoruba Brides And Women In Aso Ebi / Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform / Man Who Visited Emir Sanusi’s Library In Kano Is Shocked (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.