Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,874 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (61974 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ghostofsparta(m): 1:29am On May 12, 2015
uplawal:
Pls can i have your email.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 12, 2015
Thanks.uthor=ghostofsparta post=33649089[/quote]
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 3:29pm On May 12, 2015
hardbody:
I patiently read this origin of the Yorubas and why they say Ile-Ife is the cradle of Yoruba civilization and can't stop shaking my head. Do Yoruba Christians and traditionalists alike believe in that staff about Olodumare and Obatala and what have you?

It actually makes for a good folklore, the type you say the Tortoise fell from a height and broke its shell or those about the hare running a race and what have you. Any attempt to add more value to this story amounts to nothing but insanity.

A good number seem to take that fairytale seriously.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ghostofsparta(m): 4:29pm On May 12, 2015
uplawal:
Thanks.uthor=ghostofsparta [post=33649089]
modify and remove my email from that quote. Someone attempted my email for an OLX scam.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 5:43pm On May 12, 2015
somegirl1:

A good number seem to take that fairytale seriously.

And how does this affect you? You don't even know a thing about the yoruba

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 5:56pm On May 12, 2015
macof:

And how does this affect you? You don't even know a thing about the yoruba

Where did I state that it affected me? Or that I care to know about "the yoruba"?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Pharoh: 2:35am On May 13, 2015
The yoruba origin story is very deep and like most cultural myths it is only the initiated that has this deep understanding of those stories, not even the common yoruba people talkless of outsiders.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:52am On May 14, 2015
ok
ghostofsparta:

modify and remove my email from that quote. Someone attempted my email for an OLX scam.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by sisiafrika(f): 4:39am On May 14, 2015
duni04:
The OP of this thread should post his address so we can gather at his house and lynch him! Very stupid thread! So ugbo people, or people of the bush, have magically turned into today's Igbo? The mod that forwarded this to the front page without a link or verifiable source should also be lynched!
Bloody îdiots!!!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 12:03pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

Where did I state that it affected me? Or that I care to know about "the yoruba"?

read and understand this before u come talking about people you supposedly don't care about
Pharoh:
The yoruba origin story is very deep and like most cultural myths it is only the initiated that has this deep understanding of those stories, not even the common yoruba people talkless of outsiders.

since u aren't affected or care about yoruba issues stay away then

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 12:19pm On May 14, 2015
macof:

read and understand this before u come talking about people you supposedly don't care about

since u aren't affected or care about yoruba issues stay away then

You should take your own advice i.e read my comment and understand before responding to my comment.
I glossed through the article. I wasn't interested enough to read in detail hence my not commenting on the main article but responded to a comment that caught my interest...which I read and perfectly understood before repreplying.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 12:22pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

You should take your own advice i.e read my comment and understand before responding to my comment.
I glossed through the article. I wasn't interested enough to read in detail hence my not commenting on the main article but responded to a comment that caught my interest...which I read and perfectly understood before repreplying.

I understood your comment but you don't understand what you comment about

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 12:30pm On May 14, 2015
macof:

I understood your comment but you don't understand what you comment about

Perhaps if you'd taken your own advice, you'd have noticed that I simply agreed with the comment below.

hardbody:
Do Yoruba Christians and traditionalists alike believe in that staff about Olodumare and Obatala and what have you?

It actually makes for a good folklore, the type you say the Tortoise fell from a height and broke its shell or those about the hare running a race and what have you. Any attempt to add more value to this story amounts to nothing but insanity.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by absoluteSuccess: 12:31pm On May 14, 2015
Pharoh:

You are on point, only the deep call to the deep.

Albeit, the ancestors has long solved the riddle for us in their own words:

b'omode o ba 'tan, on'lati ba aroba, aroba ni baba itan.

If a curious youth miss out on the event (alluded to in a history), he sure must come about the speculations about the said event. It is the speculations that give birth to history.

enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 4:57pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

Perhaps if you'd taken your own advice, you'd have noticed that I simply agreed with the comment below.

exactly why you needed me to call you to order
why agree with the comment if you don't care and aren't affected by Yorubas. . plus you don't even know a thing about the yoruba nation

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 5:34pm On May 14, 2015
macof:

exactly why you needed me to call you to order
why agree with the comment if you don't care and aren't affected by Yorubas. . plus you don't even know a thing about the yoruba nation

Because I was interested in the comment. Surely I don't need to explain to you how it is possible to be interested in a single comment and not the main article.
I'm not really interested in learning about the yoruba nation, I reiterate.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 7:15pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

Because I was interested in the comment. Surely I don't need to explain to you how it is possible to be interested in a single comment and not the main article.
And he doesn't know a thing about the Igbo nation. Girl,you can say whatever you want afterall he is they one jumping around on Igbo threads and topics. Especially when he doesn't know a thing about Igbos. Respect is reciprocal! I expect him to equally stay away from Igbo stuffs as it doesn't concern him. Old habits die hard,they say!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 7:21pm On May 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

And he doesn't know a thing about the Igbo nation. Girl,you can say whatever you want afterall he is they one jumping around on Igbo threads and topics. Especially when he doesn't know a thing about Igbos. Respect is reciprocal! I expect him to equally stay away from Igbo stuffs as it doesn't concern him. Old habits die hard,they say!

Well, until I encounter him on an Igbo thread.
I just find it amusing how some people seem to take certain stories too seriously.
Mythology is great as long as when people know that it is was it it, just myth.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 7:24pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

Well, until I encounter him on an Igbo thread.
I just find it amusing how some people seem to take certain stories too seriously.
Mythology is great as long as when people know that it is was it it, just myth.
Never mind,he is always there,esp when igbo is mentioned along side hebrew or some distant culture.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 7:43pm On May 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Never mind,he is always there,esp when igbo is mentioned along side hebrew or some distant culture.

Lol
Nothing wrong with him expressing disbelief as long as he's not insulting an entire ethnic group.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 8:57pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

Lol
Nothing wrong with him expressing disbelief as long as he's not insulting an entire ethnic group.
No p. Saying you know nothing about his culture is bad enough. Pot calling kettle black.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 9:13pm On May 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

No p. Saying you know nothing about his culture is bad enough. Pot calling kettle black.

Like there's anything especially interesting to know.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 10:08pm On May 14, 2015
somegirl1:

You seem to want to run this around. it's very simple really
you agreed wit a comment exposing the posters ignorance of Yoruba origin that he likens to tortoise tale and describes as insanity

that's why I quoted a beautiful comment by Pharoh
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 10:20pm On May 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Ihuomadinihu:

why don't you face me directly? ever since I asked for proof to ur ridiculous claims you've been hating on me grin is such proof of the name of the geneticis that discovered Euriasian gene in Yoruba so hard to furnish? btw you keep saying I know nothing of the Igbo Apparently I know better than you - who claims Hebrew origin of the Igbo without evidence or any sort of compelling proof just wishful thinking

I love culture and history that includes the Igbo's so this quite different from the case of somegirl1 who doesn't care about the yoruba yet comments on what she knows nothing about calling it insane myth

how can one appreciate what he doesn't understand or wish to understand?

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 14, 2015
Even the most ridiculous-sounding oral tradition often contains a kernel of historical truth. The historian needs only understand that the language of oral traditions could be highly poetic, allegorical and symbolic. Then begins the work of decoding and interpretation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by StarFlux: 11:08pm On May 14, 2015
This whole thread is ridiculous! These random stories seem to be manufactured at a higher and higher rate. They seem interesting at first, but then the posters real intentions are exposed, without objectivity and proof saying otherwise.

A ki i gbe odo jiyan bi ose ho tabi ko ho.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 7:20am On May 15, 2015
macof:

why don't you face me directly? ever since I asked for proof to ur ridiculous claims you've been hating on me grin is such proof of the name of the geneticis that discovered Euriasian gene in Yoruba so hard to furnish? btw you keep saying I know nothing of the Igbo Apparently I know better than you - who claims Hebrew origin of the Igbo without evidence or any sort of compelling proof just wishful thinking

I love culture and history that includes the Igbo's so this quite different from the case of somegirl1 who doesn't care about the yoruba yet comments on what she knows nothing about calling it insane myth

Hebrew or eurasian whatever is for another thread. Why would an adult like me be afraid of facing you directly? Lol.
It's absurd how you go running your mouth abi fingers on numerous igbo threads writing what you have no idea about. Yet when an Igbo contributes a word on Yoruba threads,you come out with your long fangs,claiming they know nothing about Yoruba.
Just learn to respect people's thread especially when it's connected to their oral tales. Just like you have dismissed Igbo-ugbo-yoruba tales,it would be better if you stick to your history and solve its mystery. Igbos will equally solve theirs,as technology and genetics advances.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 8:53am On May 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Hebrew or eurasian whatever is for another thread. Why would an adult like me be afraid of facing you directly? Lol.
It's absurd how you go running your mouth abi fingers on numerous igbo threads writing what you have no idea about. Yet when an Igbo contributes a word on Yoruba threads,you come out with your long fangs,claiming they know nothing about Yoruba.
Just learn to respect people's thread especially when it's connected to their oral tales. Just like you have dismissed Igbo-ugbo-yoruba tales,it would be better if you stick to your history and solve its mystery. Igbos will equally solve theirs,as technology and genetics advances.

Oh I have full idea what am writing about, it's very simple really. .you're trying to propagate a claim, I want to learn I ask for proof you have none you flare up you act like your fellow igbos haven't kicked your hebrew claim right out in your face
Oh so now hebrew origin is recorded in Igbo oral tales? this is new

why should anybody say things like Ugbo are igbo or Ijebu-Igbo are Igbo or Egba are igbo and you expect me not to correct such shameful blunder. ..again your comparison doesn't relate with me
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 9:14am On May 15, 2015
macof:

Oh I have full idea what am writing about, it's very simple really. .you're trying to propagate a claim, I want to learn I ask for proof you have none you flare up you act like your fellow igbos haven't kicked your hebrew claim right out in your face
Oh so now hebrew origin is recorded in Igbo oral tales? this is new

why should anybody say things like Ugbo are igbo or Ijebu-Igbo are Igbo or Egba are igbo and you expect me not to correct such shameful blunder. ..again your comparison doesn't relate with me
You are no authority on Igbo history,think twice before jumping all over igbo threads with your baseless judgements and disapproval on what does not concern you or your history. That's all. Like i said,hebrew stuff is for another thread. Nevertheless,hebrew or no hebrew, censor your comments if you have to contribute to stuffs that are not related to you. I have seen you force some ignorant opinions on Igbos,don't understand why you should become defensive when others do the same on your history?
And who are you to dismiss ugbo-igbo oral history so abruptly without academic back ups? There is always a dash of truth in everything,it's left for you to seek for truth without adding your tribal sentiments.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 10:37am On May 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are no authority on Igbo history,think twice before jumping all over igbo threads with your baseless judgements and disapproval on what does not concern you or your history. That's all. Like i said,hebrew stuff is for another thread. Nevertheless,hebrew or no hebrew, censor your comments if you have to contribute to stuffs that are not related to you. I have seen you force some ignorant opinions on Igbos,don't understand why you should become defensive when others do the same on your history?
And who are you to dismiss ugbo-igbo oral history so abruptly without academic back ups? There is always a dash of truth in everything,it's left for you to seek for truth without adding your tribal sentiments.

did I ever tell you anything like igbo came from here or there to suggest me claiming an authority, it's you claiming an authority on Igbo and yoruba. .I asked simply for proof of your claims if you can't then you have nothing to say
Igbo history is part of world History, everybody can ask questions and contribute, if you were not aware be so now
you were the one that brought up hebrews here, the person you were even quoting showed little interest in what you were talking about

grin grin grin pls don't insult yourself with the bold again
I should be asking you to provide academic backup for such claims
but that would be a waste of time, as the very Ugbo people are known today as the Ilaje
I'd like to see you prove that the Ilaje aren't the Ugbos bt the Igbo of SE Nigeria are
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 15, 2015
macof:

I always enjoy your arguments. Are you a lawyer?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't need to be Igbo before i can comment on igbo-related topics; so long i have enough knowlegde about them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Yoruba Brides And Women In Aso Ebi / Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform / Man Who Visited Emir Sanusi’s Library In Kano Is Shocked (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.