Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match (25614 Views)

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. / Rev.fr Mbaka- Mikel Obi Should No Longer Be In The Nigeria Team / Nigeria Vs Italy - International Friendly: (2 - 2) On 18th November 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Ceorhemz(m): 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
Tolexander: I don't really support your 4th point on the article above. How many nigerian strikers are presently on the score sheets in the top leagues in europe?
maybe you should check out Emenike, musa, Ideye, Peter Utaka, I.k uche's stats from last season
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Laughing: 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
bionicdude: one thing you failed to spot out is dat ideye is not a footballer.
Spot on bro, totally in support of U... He seems more lik 'Adiye'#yoruba lang# to me. I stil don't understand y Keshi is stil kipin faith wen we stil av beta strikers lik Sone Aluko, Ameobi(jnr),Uche brothers, Anichebe even Iheneacho is far beta dan him
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Ozonna(m): 11:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
mikeansy: Attack

Can I just add that Brown Ideye and Ahmed Musa are not as useless as folks like to suggest. Some people have to play what Arsene Wenger calls the dark role for others to flourish. Pundits and fans may not appreciate their effort but the coach does.

There will be times in world cup when we may come up against Italy with Pirlo, Spain with Alonso, Germany with Bastian schwenie or England with Gerrard . . . .the best way to attempt to alter the rhythm of the opposite teams with such world class deep lying playmakers is to put one of your strikers on them so that defenders are forced to play long balls. The best person with the presence of mind and humility to do such a dirty job without committing silly fouls is Brown Ideye. He is also very useful if we try to press the ball high up the pitch. Ideye unfortunately misses a lot of goals but his work rate for the rest of the team is one only the coach can sometimes appreciate. For this reason alone I think Ideye is already on the plane to Brazil.

Ahmed Musa . . . .ignore his pace at your own peril. I like him and I think he is a good player. When technique and tactics fail and a football match gets very cagy . . . .it takes youthful exuberance and the silly pace of players like Ahmed Musa to unlock defense. Yes he needs to work on his crosses and judgment but the ability to get behind the defense line of the opponent can sometimes be priceless. So for this reason I also think Ahmed Musa is on the way to world cup.

Apart from that the rest of the strike force is good. That's on the understanding that Oduamadi never gets an invite again. The lad is no use to super eagles.

Midfield

Nigeria must always play a 3 man midfield. Keshi must monitor Mikels mood. If he starts playing offensive midfield, let the other 2 shield the back four, if he plays deep lying playmaker let one of the other 2 midfielders move upfield and support attack. if Mikel starts getting unpredictable and attempts to gaurd the ball in the midfield against 3 opponents like he does sometimes, Keshi should kindly sub him. A midfield 3 of either Mikel-Onazi-Ogu or Mikel-Onazi-Igiebor or Onazi-Igiebor-Ogu can do the business anyday.

Defence
Time to call back Joseph Yobo. He may be old and slow but he will at least trap the ball and pass it into one of the midfielders. Egwuekwe's tendency to balloom the ball to the opponents simply returns the pressure on our defense. I recognize Egwuekwe's efforts and may be he should still go to world cup, but sure James Okwuosa and Solomon Kwambe should be sent packing. If we have no other right back in the world we can invite who can pass the ball then lets convert a midfielder or winger to play the full backs for us. Ability for the defenders to knock the ball around with the midfielders and build attack from the back is very very important. Omeruo and Oboabona do this superbly and that's why their combo is irreplaceable.

Where did you get your coaching badge? Your analysis are spot on especially as regards Ideye and musa.

If we have no other right back, I suggest we invite Captain of Golden eaglet. Solomon kwambe embarrased us. Let's bring back yobo and Apam (if he's fit), egwuekwe is not yet ready @ all.

It'll be unfair on the part of keshi if he goes to world cup with Oduamadi and Mba. In place of this 2, lukman, joel obi and Aluko should be invited and tried.

For those clamouring for Ik Uche, I don't think he fits into keshi's plan. Keshi prefers big, strong strikers. Keshi may even prefer Anichebe to Uche because Uche is not big and may not track back to chase balls if eagles loose possesion. Dike, Ameobi,Emenike,Ideye,etc all track back to chase d ball whenever we loose possession
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by class0247: 12:15am On Nov 20, 2013
Oduamadi is not a footballer at all,i watch this guy closely and i dont really know why Keshi is still keeping that guy.
Come on menhhh!!there are other players to replace that guy..
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by ChildofChukwu(m): 12:52am On Nov 20, 2013
***Clears throat***
Nigeria will win the World Cup after beating Brazil 2:1 in the final.
So help us God!

1 Like

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Afam4eva(m): 1:09am On Nov 20, 2013
I think we should still give Egwueke a chance. He's not as bad as people make him to be. I watched the match and he did well save for a few occasions. He also has the height advantage that we shouldn't just give up. He's a unique player. As for Oduamadi, i'm neither here nor there but i think he should remain and maybe his position should be changed. He's not the kind of striker that does a lot of work. Keshi is playing him out of position.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by DisGuy: 1:33am On Nov 20, 2013
Afam4eva: I think we should still give Egwueke a chance. He's not as bad as people make him to be. I watched the match and he did well save for a few occasions. He also has the height advantage that we shouldn't just give up. He's a unique player. As for Oduamadi, i'm neither here nor there but i think he should remain and maybe his position should be changed. He's not the kind of striker that does a lot of work. Keshi is playing him out of position.

What's his position in the second team of Serie B Club? Bench grin

I think he should be allowed to grown in the wilderness just like Nsofor, Lukman and co

Egwueke and Kwame should continue gaining experience with the home team
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by hunter21(m): 1:42am On Nov 20, 2013
i think a talent such as iheanacho should be given a trial. If successfull, he would complement mikel and give him a run for the no.10 shirt.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by marutimon: 1:50am On Nov 20, 2013
hunter2,1:
i think a talent such as iheanacho should be given a trial. If successfull, he would complement mikel and give him a run for the no.10 shirt.

I think talent like Success Isaac and Kelechi Iheanacho should be drafted into the side just to groom them and expose them. They are definitely not a waste of space compared to several other players, while gifting them national team exposure will only improve them.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by DisGuy: 1:59am On Nov 20, 2013
They should give them trails at the under 20 team, don't forget these young guys don't even have a club they play for in a 'regulated' league
they are mainly academy players, if they are really under 17 i don't see the point rushing them

1 Like

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 3:05am On Nov 20, 2013
No wonder we kept winning under 17 cup, and changes coaches all the time. We really have coaches, Good ones. hahaha!
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Tolexander: 3:24am On Nov 20, 2013
Ceorhemz: maybe you should check out Emenike, musa, Ideye, Peter Utaka, I.k uche's stats from last season
peter utaka was in darlian aerbin, a chinese club last season!
Jarus said nigeria is endowed with strikers. And you've only mentioned 4 strikers in europe that are almost inconsistent except emenike.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by bumdish: 4:07am On Nov 20, 2013
Just saw the full match again http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/world/friendlies/italy-vs-nigeria

I must admit that the SE performance is highly commendable given the context of the match. I give super kudos to the back four. These are home tutored, Sand field playing, Nigeria road traveling, PHCN frustrating, Bribery and corruption embarrassed Nigerians (Oboabona inclusive, 'cos he just changed base recently). Expecting them to match a Barloteli, De Rossi, Parolo, Diamanti, Alessio Cerci, Giuseppe Rossi or Pirlo shoulder to shoulder is like scolding a Unilag 2nd year mechanical student for coming the same position with an MIT PhD student. Abegi, the 4 guys were wonderful and should both be commended and encouraged. Keshi should be praised for doing wonders with our local players, middle to low level European league based players and some players like Shola and Nsofor who most people had already written off.

Having said that, I believe Keshi now has two options:

1. Stick with these guys, continue to give them opportunities they could only have dreamt of and see what could be made out of them whether in 2014 or in the future
2. Tinker with the team, ask in more players to prove themselves. . . who knows

Whichever way keshi goes, I believe in him and his style. The opinion of a man who converted an almost disbanded squad into a trophy wining team should be respected

Benjamin Francis (Heartland), Solomon Kwambe {This bros should work on his recovery}(Sunshine Stars), Godfrey Oboabona (Rizespor/TUR), Azubuike Egwuekwe (Warri Wolves) - I salute you guys

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Jyde81: 4:27am On Nov 20, 2013
abdulslutsky: Rythm or no rythm

#Musa Must Go!!!#

Like if u support this ..team MMG
I concur...
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Jyde81: 4:33am On Nov 20, 2013
bionicdude: one thing you failed to spot out is dat ideye is not a footballer.
Walahi, spot on. The O.p was even suggesting he should be on the bench for the mundial. I totally disagree as I feel the lad has no business being in the National team...
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by ceeceeco: 5:20am On Nov 20, 2013
mr.drizzy:
oga i believed u skipped d part where onazi failed us a last goal..instead to pass to obu..he wants to dribble his elder.PATHETIC.

anyway d boy try sha
Guy, hate it or luv it, onazi is gud. He's only human, & he's bound 2 make mistakes..d@ guy plays with full determination, d@ is y i like him. Emenike, onazi, Enyeama & Oboabona are my best super eagles players. They play with real determination. Always serious, & i luv serious footballers.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by ceeceeco: 5:25am On Nov 20, 2013
beethoven: I think John Ogu should be replaced with Nosa Igeibor. I follow him a lot in La Liga and he is a very technical player. Anyone remember the first leg of the match against Ethiopia? it was when this guy was introduced into the midfield in the last quarter of the game that we became stable and began creating more scoring chances. John Ogu is not a bad player at all, it is just that he drifts away from position too often. Also Haruna Lukman has come of age now, it would not be a bad idea trying him out too.
yeah, u're right. I think John Ogochukwu Ogu shuld b givin a chance. D@ guy is loaded with shots.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by emiye(m): 7:05am On Nov 20, 2013
I believe the eagles now has a regular starting 10
Enyeama, omeruo, ambrose, oboabona, echiejille, onazi, mikel, moses, emenike, musa.

I believe in Musa for a starting shirt, he has the right pace for needed counter attacks and buildups., this makes up for his other shortcomings, the only reason ideye is still in that team is because of his height and athletic build. he can come off from the bench

however, I do not subscribe to keshi using 2 midfielders (mikel and onazi) to execute matches in the worldcup, except we are playing a highly watered down side. i am a bit sceptical of john ogu, who is liable to cards due to his seemingly aggressive form of play. Nosa Igiebor, sone aluko ,haruna lukman, isaac promise needs to be tried out for the role of the needed 3rd man in the midfield.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by lcoq: 7:11am On Nov 20, 2013
Judging by current form,My worldCup squad would be:

Enyema
Ejide
Dele

Nedum Onuoha*
Efe
Adeleye
Obuabuna
Omerua
Echejile
Shittu

Mikel
Ogu
Joel
Onazi
Haruna
Nosa

Moses
Musa
Nsofor
Ik. Uche
Ideye/Dike

Emenike
Anichebe
Ameobi
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Waspy(m): 7:29am On Nov 20, 2013
What Keshi needs right now is more friendly with top guns. This will avail him the oppourtunities to try out different players and different combinations.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by shurlar50(m): 8:10am On Nov 20, 2013
All we need now z powerful strikes from Taiye taiwo & Nsofor#. Make keshi do d remaining
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Lalaska(m): 8:29am On Nov 20, 2013
ifetoyosi: a lil bit spot on
follow on twitter @ifetoyosiazeez nd ama ff bck

See advertisement of twitter handle. Na wa ohh
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by opiscoal(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2013
Leemak: Nigerian Super Eagles still not above average, truth be told.......Nigeria was only lucky that Pirlo and Diamanti did not start that match....Again Nigeria has a record of playing draw with Top teams in preparation for the world cup which to you is a good performance going by the display but @ the World Cup they always fumble except that of '94.So fellow football lovers dont be deluded by this, we are warning you now so that you will not go and use property that belongs to the whole family to take bet in favour of Super Eagles against any team in the world cup in Brazil, if it does happen to you we will not hesitate to mock you, enough for the wise.
,............... pliz d last tym i checked, nigeria has neva drawn a grade A match, dem dey flog our yanch, go nd du ur research wella oo,we only won against france, 1.0, so im hapi cos we din loss again,
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by sucess001(m): 9:53am On Nov 20, 2013
nice analysis.

however, this is my take.

1. i dont know where everyone got the impressiononazi had a spectacular game. admitedly, he was comfortable on the ball and seem a nice back up for Mikel but dont forget, he was caught in posession countless times and was at fault for italy's equaliser. he also seemed selfish and willing to hug the limelight when he could have passed the ball to better placed teamates to score in the closing stages of the game. In summary he is a decent midfieder but needs to be more disciplined tactically.

2.Ideye should be moved to the midfield or wings. his finishing is too poor for a striker but his powerplay can unsettle defenses hence he ll have more presence in the midfield or wings. we actually need one more winger as a back up to moses and musa.

3. our central defenders are too sticff and lack football intelligence @ times.

4.we we need defensive midfielders with a defensive midset. mikel; and onazi dont fit this and exposes the diffence all too often.

5. the Eagles need to work a lot on their ball control.

6. we shd start pairing emenike and ameobi more often to get them to gell in time. they shouldnt be used exclusively. ameobi can lead d line but never runs after 50-50 balls. emenike could complement him on this.

then after watching south africa play a disciplined game to beat spain...i tink its about time the eagles inculcate more tactical discipline in their game.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Beaf1: 10:29am On Nov 20, 2013
Abbey2sam:

What are you saying

Go as in "brazil". Or

Go as in leave super Eagle

Musa is goooooooooooooD

^ Do you mind them?

Musa has pace and Keshi knows this. A Striker that can pull 2 or more defenders on him, keeping them busy for some seconds has surely created space and convenience for his colleague upfront to strike whenever he manages to release the ball to them.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Gpattern(m): 10:53am On Nov 20, 2013
nobody is talking about the inclusion of this real betis kid, osaze and joel obi, i stil think this are our most intellegent players we have.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by mystikal(m): 11:43am On Nov 20, 2013
spot on with d mikel analysis. We will never be a quick counter attacking side with d way he hugs d ball. It can be effective at times but he needs to know when to release the ball quicker. Quick transition from defence to attack essential at times
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Abdoolhafeez: 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
uhm, sentimental Nigeria, igbo super Eagle or Nigerian super Eagle?
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by naijanoni(m): 2:02pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tolexander: peter utaka was in darlian aerbin, a chinese club last season!
Jarus said nigeria is endowed with strikers. And you've only mentioned 4 strikers in europe that are almost inconsistent except emenike.
Nigerian Forwards report.

Our Forwards were prolific in europe going by last season's records.

Brown Ideye(Dynamo Kiev)=17 goals
Imoh ezekiel(Standard liege)=17 goals
I.K Uche(Villarreal)=14 goals

Ahmed Musa(CSKA Moscow)=12 goals
Victor Moses(Chelsea)=10 goals

Emmanuel Emenike(Spartak Moscow)=8 goals

Very Prolific record.

All scored double figures except emenike.
Emenike was injured for more than half of last season and still he scored 8 goals.

But coming to dis season,most of our forwards in europe have struggled at d start of dis season,which is normal.Ideye,Uche were struggling to get regular starting shirts in their teams.Emenike had a 6 game frustrating goal drought.Musa's CSKA moscow had a poor run of form,and that also affected musa.
But most of these players are getting back to form,going by d recent weeks.That was how it was last season.The season is still very long,not gon judge them by d little part of dis season.Even messi and a lot of top players are strugglin dis season.It happens in football.Hardly any striker in d world is consistent,they experience drop of form.

Nigerian Forwards goal record this season :-
Emmanuel Emenike=7 goals(3 for spartak,4 for fenerbahce).
Ahmed Musa=6 goals.
Imoh Ezekiel=6 goals.
Ik Uche=4 goals
Brown Ideye=3 goals
Victor Moses=1 goal.

Fairly Okay so far(except for moses),given dat d season is still looooong.And d likes of moses/musa are wingers/Attacking mids.You wont expect them to score lyk top 9s.

There are still some unknown nigerian strikers banging goals in obscure leagues like sweden,norway and 2nd division sides of top leagues.Goal records of The ones i know:-
Kennedy Igboananike(AIK)=14 goals
Christantus Macauley(Las Palmas)=5 goals
John Chibuike(Molde)=8 goals.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by naijanoni(m): 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
My worldcup team based on current form

Goal Keepers:-Agbim,Enyeama,Ejide

Defenders:-B.Francis,Echiejile,Omeruo,Oboabona,Egwueke(onuoha),Otigba,Ambrose.

Midfielders:-Mikel,Onazi,Igiebor,Ramon Azeez,Lukman Haruna,John Ogu(Ogude)

Forwards:-Emenike,Moses,Musa,Aluko,Ameobi,Imoh Ezekiel,Ideye(Dike)
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by DisGuy: 2:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
where's oduamadis record-last season and dis season, in fact all seasons!!! cheesy
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by francafrank(f): 2:35pm On Nov 20, 2013
l'coq:
Judging by current form,My worldCup squad would be:

Enyema
Ejide
Dele

Nedum Onuoha*
Efe
Adeleye
Obuabuna
Omerua
Echejile
Shittu

Mikel
Ogu
Joel
Onazi
Haruna
Nosa

Moses
Musa
Nsofor
Ik. Uche
Ideye/Dike

Emenike
Anichebe
Ameobi

what about Iheancho michael owen of england played in the world cup at 16

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chidi Ofor Okenwa Is Dead / Nigeria Football League Match In 1978. Throwback Photo / Juventus Appoints Maurizio Sarri As New Manager After Chelsea Exit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.