Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,848 members, 7,806,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy (5291 Views)

Commuters On A Long Queue At Ojota BRT Lane (photo) / Delay In Visa / German Embassy And Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 18, 2008
Woman dies in visa queue at German embassy

By Olalekan Adetayo

A middle-aged woman, whose name could not be ascertained as at press time, slumped and later died on Wednesday while attempting to procure a visa at the German Embassy on Victoria Island, Lagos.

A source at the German embassy confided in our correspondent that the woman had intimated the embassy officials that her daughter, who resides in Germany was recently delivered of a baby and her intention was to visit Germany to assist in taking care of her grandchild.

The source said that her visa was already being processed when the officials observed that a particular document was not included in her application.

“Suddenly, the woman slumped. She was later confirmed dead. A man whom I suspected to be her husband, or a close relative was with her when the incident occurred,” the source said.

The death was said to have been reported at the Victoria Island Police Station by the embassy‘s Chief Security Officer identified simply by his nickname, ‘Boom-boom.’

Men of the Lagos State Police Command are currently probing the death which again brought to the fore, the ordeal of Nigerians struggling to procure visas at the various embassies in the country.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200807182231971
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Queenisha: 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2008
This is sad.
Poor woman.Who knows, she may have travelled by night bus from the East, exhausted and hungry, made to stand hours in the hot sun for hours until her body couldn't take the stress any longer.
What a tragedy.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by SeanT21(f): 6:30pm On Jul 18, 2008
God Bless her SOUL!! R.I.P Lady!!
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by omoge(f): 7:15pm On Jul 18, 2008
eyaaaaaaa this is really sad. RIP
i don't know why people invite their aging mom to come take care of their baby. i don't like the idea honestly.
You and your hubby had fun/enjoyed and should be responsible.
If they are in their early 40s okay, your sister in the Uni ok. But using your old mama who is supposed to be chilling after she is done raising her kids, making her pass through this oyinbo people and their scrutiny is a no no.
Why put your mom in a stressful position? Inviting her to come help you so that you could have more sleep right?
Please couples should stop inviting their mom to come help them take care of babies.

You could invite her to come chill out (happiness will full her face) not to come work.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by benincitys(f): 5:26am On Jul 19, 2008
omoge, there is nothing wrong to invite ones mother to come and take care of her grandchild this has be going on since a long time is not stress.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by nazzyon(m): 8:51am On Jul 19, 2008
Now that is something you don't hear see or hear always.

Sudden death due to sadness or what are we going to call that?

Honestly, all these embassy agents need t be a little lenient when it comes go Nigerians.

Every time, I see people come back from embassies with the news that they were denied VISA to where ever they want to go I always find it really unpleasant.

REST IN PEACE
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 19, 2008
this life aint worth nothing! May her soul rest in peace. On the bright side hopefully she got a visa to heaven , i will take that anytime over a visa to Germany.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by BluMalam(m): 10:40am On Jul 19, 2008
Painful. Unfortunate. Food for thought. May her soul rest in eternal peace.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by kadman(m): 10:42am On Jul 19, 2008
@ Omoge

Are you now blaming the death on her poor daughter ? If you had a mother at all you would know that it's every womans joy to  be the one to take care of thier grandchild. It's probably the late woman who even insisted so as to meet her grandchild.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Seun(m): 10:43am On Jul 19, 2008
She was not an old woman. She was middle-aged.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by fotodaddy: 10:46am On Jul 19, 2008
Its a pity!! sad
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Dejosky: 11:32am On Jul 19, 2008
I think Mums even enjoy coming to take care of their grandchildren, My Mum has been urging me to have a child quickly, so she can come over, it's a good oportunity to come to the 'obodo oyinbo',
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by frankilee: 11:40am On Jul 19, 2008
May her soul Rest In Peace, But come to think of this,it is absurd, i mean what is happening presently at the so called embassy(it is becoming an embarrassment to us instead of a place where to secure a common documented papers called VISA.), I beseech our government to do something to curb this ordeal before the scourge consumes us all, I pray we will not be part of it, the christian will say AMEN and Muslims will say AMIN(ishaallah)
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by edmondo(m): 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2008
may her soul in peace.
what a pity!!!
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by edmondo(m): 12:33pm On Jul 19, 2008
may her soul rest in peace.
what a pity!!!
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by sley4life(m): 1:52pm On Jul 19, 2008
May her soull rest in Peace, Embassy pls stop denying us VISA. What the heck is that. An elderly woman wants to go to Germany and the embassy gives excuse. Even if her document wasnt complete u would still give it to her cos she cant spoil ur country. Im tired of this.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by igbogolo: 2:09pm On Jul 19, 2008
this is sad. real sad.
the circumstances of her death has not been made public so I will refrain from making hasty conclusioins. Im sure that the woman must have known she had a medical problem, maybe her heart or high blood pressure. If not, then her death from exhaustion is totally unacceptable.
The embassies operating in Nigeria owe us the duty to provide a comfortable environment for visa applicants. I recal with nostalgia the days of the famous american visa era when people come as early as 1am to queue for visa. This is absurd and must be condemned.
I wish her soul eternal rest while i urge both the government and the embassy to do something about this disgraceful conduct.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by BangBang2(m): 2:14pm On Jul 19, 2008
chei!
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by mohawkchic(f): 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2008
~Heart-rending!! sad
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by vikiviko(m): 5:44pm On Jul 19, 2008
Its really sad.

I will like to know if the German embassy is showing any interest in her death.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by xheggs(m): 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2008
eyaa.,.,.
R. I. P.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by texazzpete(m): 7:04pm On Jul 19, 2008
igbogolo:

The embassies operating in Nigeria owe us the duty to provide a comfortable environment for visa applicants. I recal with nostalgia the days of the famous american visa era when people come as early as 1am to queue for visa. This is absurd and must be condemned.
I wish her soul eternal rest while i urge both the government and the embassy to do something about this disgraceful conduct.

I'm sorry, but they owe you nothing. The long queues are a testament to the numbers of Nigerians applying at any given time. If they do not call you people for interviews now, you will complain.

What has the embassy got to do with when people start queuing? If interviews start at 8am and people start queuing at 1am, how is that 'disgraceful conduct' on the part of the embassy officials?
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by dominictj(m): 7:27pm On Jul 19, 2008
Queenisha, who told u the woman is from the east? may her soul rest in peace.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2008
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by igbogolo: 8:16pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ texazzpete
The embassies are mandated to provide a good reception area for visitors. Go and check well. Maybe the space allcated for visa seekers might be insufficievnt to accommodate the large numbers of nigerians who troop everyday. There is always a reception area for peple seeking for visas.
Have u applied for visas outside the country before? do u notice the ambience when u enter the reception?? The reason its not replicated here is because we are too frustrated hussling for visa to notice they have reneged on the agreement with the nigerian people. Do u see the ugly trucks julius berger uses to ferry its workers?? In Europre you cannot try that. Dont come here telling me that julius berger is not supposed to provide a dignifying mode of tansport for her workers afterall they owe us nothing.

Please and please
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by nasuite: 8:26pm On Jul 19, 2008
so pathetic! may GOD help us in the unhealthy trauma the whites make the blacks face in the name of issuing visa
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by hayprof(m): 8:36pm On Jul 19, 2008
That's really sad, terrible thing to happen.

@Siena, na here you been dey? shocked
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by skeebanj: 11:01pm On Jul 19, 2008
why do we have to queue for visa?
Why don't the world at large respect Africa?
Why do they have to maltreat africans even at work?
The only help ever rendered to africans is virtually to gain access to our natural resources.
I'm not a racist but fine: they are experiencing greater level of development, is this what the next generation of Africans going to face??
It is so bad!
Only if all africans can come together and define a way out for a more rapid development if is only to create job and at least reduce poverty to some extent. The yoprubas will say"when food is out of poverty , life goes on".
Let africans come together. we are only doing everything directly or indirectly to develop the western world. Let's do something for Africa!!!!!!
Africa can produce all that is being transported to it.
I'm sick of all these. If all these can be eradicated rome was not built in a day!!!!!!!
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by A40(m): 1:04am On Jul 20, 2008
This is not the first time this sort of thing is happening one would probably need to find out the autopsy reports before pointing accusing fingers at anyone
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by PurestBoy(m): 3:05am On Jul 20, 2008
sley4life:

May her soull rest in Peace, Embassy please stop denying us VISA. What the heck is that. An elderly woman wants to go to Germany and the embassy gives excuse. Even if her document wasnt complete u would still give it to her because she can't spoil your country. I'm tired of this.

Abi o
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by alex406(m): 3:18pm On Jul 20, 2008
What a Mess in Nigeria.To secure a visa is now hell visitation.
Re: Woman Dies In Visa Queue At German Embassy by zerocool(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2008
Sad Shame!

Well she would have been better off staying in Naija and asking the daughter to bring the grandchild down here.

sad sad sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Word 4 Mr Justwise!: / Passport Office At Ikeja / Can Someone Explain Transit Visa To Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.