Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH (2870 Views)

Dr. John Hagee: Women Who Call God’s Name During Sex Should Be Jailed / What Special Name Do You Call God? / What Do Arab Christians Call God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2013
That men may know that you, whose name alone is
JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.
Psalm 83 vs 18

JEHOVAH also means LORD!!!
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by uboma(m): 11:52am On Nov 20, 2013
^^^ Why do you say that 'Jehovah also means *Lord*'?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 3:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
Jehovah is an incorrect word

The original is YHWH which people call Yahweh

Jehovah is an error

YHWH means "I am who I am"

Yahweh's original name is El Shaddai- meaning God of mountains

He is not the most high.

The most high in Canaanite spiritually is El Elyon not El Shaddai
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by MightySparrow: 6:39pm On Nov 20, 2013
jehovah witnesses people are confused. The Bible says out of two or three witnesses (not JW) the truth shall be established. I have heard this verse over and over again, the reasonable thing to follow is that you cannot build a doctrine around a verse of the Bible. What happens to the other names God was known with before the Name Jehovah?

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 1:56am On Nov 21, 2013
uboma: ^^^ Why do you say that 'Jehovah also means *Lord*'?

Jehovah and Lord are the same thing
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 1:58am On Nov 21, 2013
macof: Jehovah is an incorrect word

The original is YHWH which people call Yahweh

Jehovah is an error

YHWH means "I am who I am"

Yahweh's original name is El Shaddai- meaning God of mountains

He is not the most high.

The most high in Canaanite spiritually is El Elyon not El Shaddai

So you mean the bible is incorrect? Because JEHOVAH is in the bible. God has so many names..... JEHOVAH is one of his name and Jehovah witnesses prefer calling him JEHOVAH
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 2:04am On Nov 21, 2013
Mighty Sparrow: jehovah witnesses people are confused. The Bible says out of two or three witnesses (not JW) the truth shall be established. I have heard this verse over and over again, the reasonable thing to follow is that you cannot build a doctrine around a verse of the Bible. What happens to the other names God was known with before the Name Jehovah?

Though I am not a Jehovah witness but an Anglican, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't criticize any believers.
Through christianity has so many families with different doctrines, the most important thing is all families in christianity believe in the bible as the word of God, Believe in Jesus Christ as the son of God and messiah.... We are still one.
That's why God says we should judge not because he is Judge and we judge everyone according to his own.
For God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts.
A day in our eyes is like a million years in God's eyes.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by uboma(m): 3:15am On Nov 21, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

Jehovah and Lord are the same thing

If you say they are the same, then what happens when one addresses another as 'my lord' say for instance in the law court or even a wife addressing her beloved husband as *my lord*? *Lord* is not a name but a title just the same as *Mr.*, *Mrs.* and so on.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 8:56am On Nov 21, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

So you mean the bible is incorrect? Because JEHOVAH is in the bible. God has so many names..... JEHOVAH is one of his name and Jehovah witnesses prefer calling him JEHOVAH

Sure God has many names but when u say God we should understand if u mean Bible God or God of the universe
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Lilimax(f): 9:02am On Nov 21, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

Though I am not a Jehovah witness but an Anglican, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't criticize any believers.
Through christianity has so many families with different doctrines, the most important thing is all families in christianity believe in the bible as the word of God, Believe in Jesus Christ as the son of God and messiah.... We are still one.
That's why God says we should judge not because he is Judge and we judge everyone according to his own.
It is true that we should not judge ...But any doctrine or belief that is contrary to the
Word of God (the Holy Bible) is heresy and should be rejected in totality.
I still have my reservations with Jehova Witnesses undecided

The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom (1Corinthians 1:25)

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Lilimax(f): 9:04am On Nov 21, 2013
uboma:

If you say they are the same, then what happens when one addresses another as 'my lord' say for instance in the law court or even a wife addressing her beloved husband as *my lord*? *Lord* is not a name but a title just the same as *Mr.*, *Mrs.* and so on.
Stop analysing the scripture using human wisdom?

Jesus is Lord period and there is no controversy
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 9:22am On Nov 21, 2013
Ijele-igbo:
That men may know that you, whose name alone is
JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.
Psalm 83 vs 18

JEHOVAH also means LORD!!!

Na them sabi,
*why they didn't choose JEALOUS? because it places God as a man.
*why they didn't choose I Am? because Jesus also said I Am

So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah, I Am, Jealous(in provocative prayer) but conscience of biaslism won't allow some people to use other name.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by uboma(m): 9:26am On Nov 21, 2013
Lilimax: Stop analysing the scripture using human wisdom?

Jesus is Lord period and there is no controversy

Are u okay? Did u read through my comments very well? Did I ever dispute the fact that Jesus isn't Lord? I only pointed to the op that Jehovah and Lord aren't the same.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Lilimax(f): 9:31am On Nov 21, 2013
uboma:

Are u okay? Did u read through my comments very well? Did I ever dispute the fact that Jesus isn't Lord? I only pointed to the op that Jehovah and Lord aren't the same.

Can't you make your arguement without being insultive?

However, Jehova means the same thing as Lord.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 9:37am On Nov 21, 2013
macof:

Sure God has many names but when u say God we should understand if u mean Bible God or God of the universe

We are talking about the God of all flesh whom the whole universe originated from!

The I Am that I Am
Jehovah~nisi
Jehovah~jareh
the God of the mountain above mountains
the Eledumare
Oyigiyigi
Alagbara to so ile-aye ro
Ogbagba ti n gba a lia lara
Okan lana, okan loni, okan lojo gbogbo
omnipotent, omniscient, & omnipresent God
the unshakeable changer
the Jealous God who Orunmila, Ogun, Sango e.t.c can't be compared/equated with.
the Saviour of the world.

Kabi ó osi

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Acidosis(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

Educate yourself, bro..
Stop fighting to bind us together even while we are totally different..

The Mormons preach Jesus is the brother of Lucifer and was a man who became God.

The Jehovah Witnesses preach Jesus was not God but claim he was Michael the arch angel.

Roman Catholicism preaches a Jesus that was unable to purge all sin or pay the complete penalty for sin.

Besides, Jehovah's witnesses do not believe in the HELL FIRE your Jesus warned you about.

If I want to live my life based on Jehovah's witness understanding, I'll just go about killing people.. (afterall there is no hell).
The good and the bad people would end up enjoying life after death..
wow..! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:21am On Nov 21, 2013
uboma:

God Almighty is Lord.... Every other lords including human is below him.
HE IS THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:24am On Nov 21, 2013
Emusan:

Na them sabi,
*why they didn't choose JEALOUS? because it places God as a man.
*why they didn't choose I Am? because Jesus also said I Am

So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah, I Am, Jealous(in provocative prayer) but conscience of biaslism won't allow some people to use other name.

Its their doctrine and if they are satisfied referring to God as JEHOVAH only no problem.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:27am On Nov 21, 2013
macof:

What is the difference? The Bible God is the God of this universe. The creator of humans, animals, plants, seas, mountains, Heavens and the Earth.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:30am On Nov 21, 2013
Acidosis:

Educate yourself, bro..

The Mormons preach Jesus is the brother of Lucifer and was a man who became God.

The Jehovah Witnesses preach Jesus was not God but claim he was Michael the arch angel.

Roman Catholicism preaches a Jesus that was unable to purge all sin or pay the complete penalty for sin.

Besides, Jehovah's witnesses do not believe in the HELL FIRE your Jesus warned you about.

If I want to live my life based on Jehovah's witness understanding, I'll just go about killing people.. (afterall there is no hell).
wow..! cheesy

In spite of different doctrines you hear from different churches, what should be your map and guide?
How can you know the truth??
THE BIBLE.... The word of God is truth.... Study it and let the Holy spirit reveal all the answers you need to know
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by nairaman66(m): 11:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Lilimax:
It is true that we should not judge ...But any doctrine or belief that is contrary to the
Word of God (the Holy Bible) is heresy and should be rejected in totality.
I still have my reservations with Jehova Witnesses undecided

The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom (1Corinthians 1:25)

God almighty has different names and attributes! JEHOVAH, YAHWEH etc..

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 3:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
Emusan:

We are talking about the God of all flesh whom the whole universe originated from!

[s]The I Am that I Am
Jehovah~nisi
Jehovah~jareh[/s]
the God of the mountain above mountains
Eledumare
Oyigiyigi
Alagbara to so ile-aye ro
Ogbagba ti n gba a lia lara
Okan lana, okan loni, okan lojo gbogbo
omnipotent, omniscient, & omnipresent God
the unshakeable changer
the Jealous God who Orunmila, Ogun, Sango e.t.c can't be compared/equated with.
the Saviour of the world.

Kabi ó osi

Ok lemme add more and remove some

The God whom all the universe originates from

Eledua
Olodumare
Olofin Aye
Oba Orun
Baba Awon Orisha
Olorun
El
El Elyon
Uranus
Ubangiji
Chineke
Chukwu
Osanobua
Brahma

He is not jealous, he has no emotion(spirits don't have emotions) and No one ever equated him with any Orisha

They are God's firstborns and can't defile their father
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 3:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

What is the difference? The Bible God is the God of this universe. The creator of humans, animals, plants, seas, mountains, Heavens and the Earth.

No! The Bible God is Yahweh/El Shaddai= God of mountains
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 3:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
nairaman66:

God almighty has different names and attributes! JEHOVAH, YAHWEH etc..

Jehovah and Yahweh are not one of the names of God almighty/the most high God

El Elyon is
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by lacum: 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2013
In Hebrew the name of God is spelled YHWH.
Since ancient Hebrew had no written vowels, it
is uncertain how the name was pronounced
originally, but there are records of the name
in Greek, which did have written vowels. These
records indicate that in all likelihood the name
should be pronounced "Yahweh."
Shortly before the first century A.D., it
became common for Jews to avoid saying the
divine name for fear of misusing it and
breaking the second commandment ("You shall
not take the name of the Lord, your God, in
vain," Dt 5:11). Whenever they read Scripture
aloud and encountered the divine name, they
substituted another Hebrew word,
"Adonai" (which means "Lord" or "my Lord"wink,
in its place.
Eventually Hebrew developed written vowels,
which appeared as small marks called vowel
points and were placed above and below the
consonants of a word. In the sixth or seventh
century some Jews began to place the vowel
points for "Adonai" over the consonants for
"Yahweh" to remind the reader of Scripture to
say "Adonai" whenever he read "Yahweh."
About the 13th century the term "Jehovah"
appeared when Christian scholars took the
consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it
with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in
the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized
spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of
this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican
monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.
Interestingly, this fact is admitted in much
Jehovah's Witness literature, such as their Aid
to Bible Understanding (p. 885). This is
surprising because Jehovah's Witnesses loathe
the Catholic Church and have done everything
in their power to strip their church of traces
of Catholicism. Despite this, their group's very
name contains a Catholic "invention," the
name "Jehovah."
Jehovah's Witnesses blast orthodox
Christendom for "hiding the name of God" by
replacing "Jehovah" with "the Lord" whenever
"Jehovah" appears in Scripture. They charge
this is a Jewish "superstition" that dishonors
God (which it does not). Yet their own
organization has a name that was invented as a
result of the same thinking that produced use
of "the Lord."
www.catholic.com
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by MightySparrow: 1:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

WHY THEN ARE THE JW WILL NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO REST CLAIMING THAT JEHOVAH IS THE ONLY NAME RECOGNIZED BY GOD?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
Mighty Sparrow:

WHY THEN ARE THE JW WILL NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO REST CLAIMING THAT JEHOVAH IS THE ONLY NAME RECOGNIZED BY GOD?

Because they are brainwashed, can't u see how they live
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by tayooluwole: 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2013
Acidosis:

Educate yourself, bro..

wow..! cheesy
ooooh my GOD!!!! Why do people based their contributns on incohate knowlege. Its nt as if Jehovah witness nvre beleive in hell, bt they beleive dat hell fire is nt forever as some oda doctrines claim... Whnever they(jehovah witness) approach u again, try to listen meticulously to every of their analysis so dat u dont go outside nd start fumbling again...ok
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 6:01pm On Nov 24, 2013
Mighty Sparrow:

Because according to their own doctrine and tradition, they believe JEHOVAH only is God and as far as JEHOVAH is another name for God which is mentioned in the bible, I have no problem with that.
I don't believe in doctrines........
I don't believe in churches.......
I don't believe in Servants of God......
I believe in God Himself.........
I believe in Jesus Christ as his son........
I believe in the Bible as the Word of God......
This is what I believe.....
I don't know your own belief
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
macof:

Because they are brainwashed, can't u see how they live

Judge no one.... Only God is Judge
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2013
tayooluwole:
ooooh my GOD!!!! Why do people based their contributns on incohate knowlege. Its nt as if Jehovah witness nvre beleive in hell, bt they beleive dat hell fire is nt forever as some oda doctrines claim... Whnever they(jehovah witness) approach u again, try to listen meticulously to every of their analysis so dat u dont go outside nd start fumbling again...ok

The bible recorded the existence of Hell Fire.... But no one knows if it will last forever.... No doctrine or church no the actual truth of Hell Fire
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 10:44am On Nov 25, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

The bible recorded the existence of Hell Fire.... But no one knows if it will last forever.... No doctrine or church no the actual truth of Hell Fire
how come only Christianity and Islam talks about hell? islam probably copied the concept from christianity because I have'nt seen anything hell in pre-islam arabia

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Questions For Theists / JW For Dummies / See A New Church In Tz,pastor Must Not Touch Ground Until End Of Service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.