Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music (1416 Views)

Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up / M.i And Jesse Jagz Fooling Around In The Studio (video) / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by ijero: 12:57am On Jul 19, 2008
Am I the only one who believes that Nigeria music is in freefall and has lost the very thing which makes our music distinctively different to other music.
I have just finished watching MTN top 10 Nigerian Videos, I would argue that 7 of the videos showed no Nigerian influence other that the artist might be Nigerian. Number one video was from P-square, wonderful artist, brilliant choreography, but where was the Nigerianism (if there's such a word). Video was not shot in Nigeria, words and dance did not reflect our country.This seems to be the trend in the Nigerian music.

Why is it we want to do what the American are doing?

there's nothing wrong with being original and true to your heritage. My partner is here looking at me, thinking am taking it too far.
The Ghanaians are producing much better music than us, which is sad for our industry.

My mum often says to me in Yoruba to always remember who and where I originate from, this is my advice to all budding musician, as the current crop in my opinion are just short of useless.

we are Nigerian, be proud to be Nigerian.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Gamine(f): 12:59am On Jul 19, 2008
undecided
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by javalove(m): 12:22pm On Jul 19, 2008
ijero abi wat do u call urself,

i agree with u to an extent. What of those doing FUJI or APALA. Do they do that in yankee too? Those doing hiphop are also trying to co they still inject our cultures into it a bit

Ruggedman tries wella in dis regard
Modenine too does
Terry tha rap man
freestyle
and the best of dem all in rapping nigerian 2Shots!!!!
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by lalaboi(m): 10:01pm On Jul 20, 2008
@poster

wich ppl in america do that music that they copy? black

wer did them black ppl come from? i knw u knw!

abi was it oyinbo that started hip hop? tell me
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Bamsyle(m): 9:31am On Jul 21, 2008
@poster

I understand what you're trying to say. A lot of these artistes *like the group you mentioned* don't make sensible music. Then they cover it up with some so-called expensive video, and which has to be shot outside the shores of Nigeria. A lot of artistes still remember our roots anyway. I like Rugged's video for Ruggedy Baba for example. And that's why I like 9ice in general. Anyone who listens to that guy's lyrics would know that his videos would definitely reflect his deep thots, culture, proverbs and wisecracks. Your video is a true reflection of your music, your lyrics, your ingenuity.

Bottom line is - Be real, be original.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by javalove(m): 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2008
Bottom line is - Be real, be original.

Mode 10 minus 1 is real and original
Musiliu Haruna Ishola is real and original cheesy
Style plus is real and orifinal
javalove is real and original
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by ijero: 2:38am On Jul 24, 2008
If a video or music is being be potray as Nigerian, then it should have Nigerian influences. Watching this I felt like I was watching an Usher video, even the dance, look and feel were identical to Usher.
I appreciate that a lot Nigerian are producing good music, my argument is for it to be billed or branded as Nigerian then it must show Nigerian life or have a Nigerian feel.
To me it sad to watch Nigerian #1 video and not been able to see anything Nigerian in it.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by UKBoy1(m): 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2008
Ijero , You make a very good point. A lot of the Nigerian Artist do not potray our culture in their songs or videos. There are some new artists artist that showcase Nigeria well.

There is a video on Nigezie and Soundcity by a guy called Keeno called My Mama , Very good video and very Nigerian. I found the link to the video on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upuP9Oe88A4
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by mrjuwon: 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2008
I cosign the poster to a certain extent. i believe its all about pride. We need to be proud of our language and country regardless of how messed up it is. I get really upset when people describe traditional Nigerian musicians as rass. I really hate that word. A lot of people used to describe 9ice as rass but now everyone is jumping on his dick especially after he performed at the Mandela concert. Artistes like Fela, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Lagbaja, 2face Idibia to mention but a few have reached or are reaching worldwide popularity that the likes of P Square can only pray and aspire to reach by being genuine and real. Be it singing in Yoruba or broken English. There is nothing bad in listening to Obesere (albeit he is a bit dirty with what he says), Ayuba, 9ice, Nigga Raw. These guys are representing. Our so called rap and rnb stars would only get home and national exposure at his rate because when they get to the international level, you would never be able to put P Square against Pretty Ricky to say the least. I say Nigerian musicians should stay repping our proud roots and culture. Last Lagbaja and Sunny Ade show I went to had literally the same amount of white people as black people. Obviously the two of them are doing something right and thats being genuine. The latest hype is a greek guy singing Gongo Aso. At this point, we must admit there is a pattern developing in the kind of Nigerian music that blows up beyond our Nigerian borders.

Please do not get me started on the South African shot videos. Dj Tee shot Banky W's Ebute Metta video entirely in Nigeria and that video is one of the realest videos you would see on TV without needing to go to South Africa. It added to the essence of the video rather than take away from it.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Bamsyle(m): 4:38pm On Jul 24, 2008
mrjuwon:

I cosign the poster to a certain extent. i believe its all about pride. We need to be proud of our language and country regardless of how messed up it is. I get really upset when people describe traditional Nigerian musicians as rass. I really hate that word. A lot of people used to describe 9ice as rass but now everyone is jumping on his privates especially after he performed at the Mandela concert. Artistes like Fela, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Lagbaja, 2face Idibia to mention but a few have reached or are reaching worldwide popularity that the likes of P Square can only pray and aspire to reach by being genuine and real. Be it singing in Yoruba or broken English. There is nothing bad in listening to Obesere (albeit he is a bit dirty with what he says), Ayuba, 9ice, Nigga Raw. These guys are representing. Our so called rap and rnb stars would only get home and national exposure at his rate because when they get to the international level, you would never be able to put P Square against Pretty Ricky to say the least. I say Nigerian musicians should stay repping our proud roots and culture. Last Lagbaja and Sunny Ade show I went to had literally the same amount of white people as black people. Obviously the two of them are doing something right and thats being genuine. The latest hype is a greek guy singing Gongo Aso. At this point, we must admit there is a pattern developing in the kind of Nigerian music that blows up beyond our Nigerian borders.

Please do not get me started on the South African shot videos. Dj Tee shot Banky W's Ebute Metta video entirely in Nigeria and that video is one of the realest videos you would see on TV without needing to go to South Africa. It added to the essence of the video rather than take away from it.

You have just spoken like an oracle.
@poster

You too.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by tjay007: 5:58pm On Jul 24, 2008
i quite agree with u dat our artiste shud impose our culture in their songs and videos but 1 thing i wud say i dnt quite agree with is d fact dat Ghanians produce beta musik dan we do. Yes, they used 2 but not any more ijero. 4-6yrs back foriegn musik dominated our radios as if we had no musik of our own but now if u listen 2 d radio very well there's a balance although it myt not b even as it shud, i believe in time it will,  9c thread,
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by YourFather: 6:37pm On Jul 24, 2008
Ok guys I have to weigh in on this.

First of, I can bet my bottom pound on it that everyone on this tread was wearing something that was influenced by non Nigerians, be it a Rocawear t-shirt, a TM shirt or a pair of Tom Wolfe jeans, typing on a non Nigerian computer.

So you then have to ask, what is being Nigerian, it can't definately be the cars we drive (German, Japaness), or the TV we watch, or the fridge we chill our drinks with.

Being Nigerian would have to be our hearts, our pride, the way we sing, most of, our mentality.

A nice house in Nigeria has more foreign influence than a Dollar bill, really, when you enter someone's house in Nigeria that you think is impressive, it is not uncommon to say, "oh this could easily be in jand".

We need to get real. Nigerians grow up watching block buster film, watch MTV, dress MTV, so what do you think sets the standards for their videos?

So far they ask you where you are from, and you say I am Nigerian, the land of kings, home of history, where river B and river Niger meets, you are Nigerian, repping! And it doesn't matter what you wear, drink or have in your videos.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 10:42pm On Jul 24, 2008
Cosign with the above post! True talk.

@topic, if y'all tell me exactly what the Nigerian culture is, maybe I'd get the topic more. Culture is something that changes. The culture of yesterday is not the culture of today.

If you think that artists who do not sing in their native tongues are not being 'Nigerian', then I dunno what to tell you. Last time I checked, english was the official language in Nigeria.

That yahooze song(I dunno who sang it) had some yoruba in it but is that a song that reflects ur 'culture'? According to the song, it encourages fraud. Correct me if am wrong. African queen by Tuface is like the only Nigerian song that I've heard Americans here say they like. Nothing in it says that the song was made in Nigeria, Nigeria was not written on their foreheads. As for their outfits, I know y'all are goin to say that they dressed african but how does a foreigner know they're specifically Nigerians?

Besides, you could see non-africans wearing those outfits, nothing new. Now, don't get me wrong @poster, I get ur point but u don't have to speak a Nigerian tongue or scream 'nigeria' in ur video to show ur Nigerian-ness. The p-square you talked about actually got a video with an igbo name 'ifunanya' and actually spoke igbo if that's what u wanna hear. There was nothing usher about their dance steps in that video, it was totally 'nigerian'.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by skingo(m): 10:45pm On Jul 24, 2008
bunch of bored people always putting up topic s like this everywhere.
nigerianism ko. its a fukkin global community these days.
step out of the fukkin box. una no dey tire
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Bamsyle(m): 9:45am On Jul 25, 2008
I have the impression some peops here are not getting Ijero's point, hence their criticism of his post.

My understanding of what he's saying is simple: Put quality into your video production. In fact, make it at par with international standards. But be real, be original. For me, you look impish when you fake things tongue

@Yourfather

As I write, I'm wearing all-imported clothings. And my computer ain't Nigerian-made. But you summed up what we're saying here when you said the following:

Being Nigerian would have to be our hearts, our pride, the way we sing, most of, our mentality.

Very apt. Very accurate.

But you missed the point when you said:

And it doesn't matter what you , have in your videos.

Videos connote something higher than you think. Look, I enjoy watching MTV. I love a whole lotta foreign stuff. I love Americans. But the difference is knowing how to keep a balance. If you're natural, your mentality, pride and heart would reflect in your music and videos. Nothing stops you from using foreign technology in your videos but when your video becomes so artificial that nothing is real in it, you need to take a break *you probably need to meditate on this to understand*

We would all be lying if we say most imported stuff are not better than our local stuff. They are way way better. But when it comes to singing/videos, acting and some other activities in this category, better be yourself man. It really pays off in the long run. And nobody said you shouldn't speak English.

And that takes me to Chiogo.

Sing in English language. Rap likewise. But when an African and an Englishman stand side to side, quote me you would and should still know the difference. That's how it should be. English language is our lingua franca but when you speak English, it sounds good when you do it naturally. If you were born and bred in London and as such, you can speak through your nose, fine. It sounds good. But if not, don't just fake it. It sounds horrible. When a West African man speaks his natural English, you easily identify him as such. Same for East Africans, etc. The overall test here is being natural. It's the message you're passing across that matters in the long run *although that doesn't mean you should sound razz* grin

And for the two videos you mentioned, I don't quite agree with you. "African Queen" was performed completely in English language. But the video was uniquely African. And it doesn't matter whether those foreign peops know it was Nigerian so long as they know it's African. You would be shocked to hear me say I've never for once liked that song. But the video? 'Twas great. That's what we're talking 'bout here.

I agree whole-heartedly that u don't have to speak a Nigerian tongue or scream 'nigeria' in your video to show your Nigerian-ness. But we should still be able to identify where you're coming from (if truly as I said earlier you were born and bred here; as such, the likes of Sade, Seal, Tunde Lighthouse are not to blame here as they were not).

These P-Queer boys you mentioned is even the high point of this thread. Those boys have never ever impressed me in the history of their musical career. Music and video wise. They suck. Gosh! I puke. They nauseate me. Haba Chiogo shocked Everyone who is truthful to himself or herself knows those boys are Usher-wannabes. They always appear like a bunch of confused folks to me. I just can't pin-point a style, a theme, a head or tail of their "music". Funny thing is they're making money *maybe off gullible peops* But some fools make money. And some sages don't. So before you quickly jump on that one, money ain't the yardstick here.

Bottom line, I keep saying, is - Be real. Be original.

When you are, people will feel it. When you're not, they also will.

A word is enuff for the wise *I've spoken a thousand* Nuff said.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Gamine(f): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2008
P-Queer

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Man! i have never liked them and i will never

the only two nigerian musicians im feeling these days are;

ASA

and

9ice

Every other dont try.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2008
Pheww, see how they changed the topic. Nobody asked if you like 'em or not. Shoot!

@Bamsyle, give urself a break. You wrote a friggin college essay, I dunno where 2 start from. They copy usher, they copy usher, is usher the first to start dancing? So, I can also say usher copied Mj and James Brown. Give these dudes a break. It's just like the feud between soulja boy and ice-t. I think it's stupid. Soulja boy never said he's d best just like p-square never said they are. They're just tryin 2 make their money. And if u don't like it, I don't think they care. If not, they wlda changed since people have been criticizing them.

I personally don't listen 2 Nigerian music much. 98% of naija artistes suck(my opinion) but I can manage few songs by few people like 'p-queer', 2face, and u kno d few other gud ones. My point is, all artistes get their inspiration from somewhere, it doesn't have to be where you're from. And if usher inspires them p-square, let 'em be!
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by YourFather: 2:53pm On Jul 25, 2008
@Bamsyle

Let me start by saying, you are someone I have come to appreciate his point of view. On this issue however, we have a gap here, be it little, I do understand where the poster is coming from, maybe labeling it culture was the mistake, because what is the Nigerian culture that would appeal to the record buying and show going 9ja people of today?

If we are talking about music acts living a lie through their vids, by representing something they are not, then that is not going to stop soon, as we live in a Culture that finds it ok, I for one don't.

There can be no substitude for being real.

But the fact is, if the public accepts it and build people up on that, the trend will go on.

In another place and another time, Psquare will not exsit, they will be told to go and find who they are and then come back, they are now one of the biggest stars in 9ja.

When we all start loving Nigeria the way we should, things will change including vids, at the moment it is what it is.

Actually, it does matter what you put in your video, come to think of it, all this idiots that don't know their history, putting this white girl and that white girl, because they feel its make them look better, are nothing but fools, but having a garget driven vid, or one that looks like it was shot in an American studio, doesn't take away from our culture.

Even the TV stations choose what to show love to. When I saw the Durella video, In the Zanga, i thought nice, this would be loved, but no, people seem to want the bling, the cars, what they see on the American vids.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by icezik1(m): 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2008
@GAmine

You're a racist against your own people! How can you only like Asa and 9ice? Infact, I'm sure you only like 9ice because everyone else does. What about Lagbaja, Styl Plus or Mode9? 2face, Faze and Terry tha Rapman? Roof Top Mcs? You mean you don't even like ROOF TOP MCS?!?!?!?!?!?! How na? I'm very sure you ain't listened to these peoples albums. They are all very Nigerian.

@YourFather

You're absolutely wrong. I'm wearing buba and shokoto and I'm using an Omatek laptop (Nigerian).

@chiogo

You should turn on a radio some day and just listen to Nigerian music. You'll realise your mistake.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by adim(m): 3:11pm On Jul 25, 2008
Honestly, as someone previously said Hip Hop is American Culture and Nigerians trying to emulate it are gonna be more American than Nigerian. Speaking Pidgin or a Nigerian Language in a song, even referring to Nigerian themes in a song is Nigerian enough for me in a Nigerian R&B or Hip Hop artist. if your looking for real Nigerian Music MTN top Ten is not the place (They are catering to a mainstream audience).

It is a shame that modern day Nigerians prefer Hip Hop and R&B to our conventional, drum beating and masquerade dancing but this is a reality and to compete in the global market the most Nigerian they can go is lyrically or add a tinge of Nigerian sounding beats in their music.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Gamine(f): 3:12pm On Jul 25, 2008
Ice, just keep quiet abeg.

i like who i like, must i spell it out for you.

ifunanya
i kinda like that song.lololol
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by icezik1(m): 3:20pm On Jul 25, 2008
@YourFather

Judging from your philosophy, to be Nigerian is to show something Nigerian in your video? Hmmm , okay, the only P-queer song I liked was ifunaya and that was very Nigerian (don't know if you've seen the video). However, for rappers, like mode9 or Terry tha rapman. It's not easy being "Nigerian" because you can't be a good rapper and act Nigerian at the same time. Just look at Lord of Ajasa! 2shot tries but in the end, he's still quite "foreign". And no matter what Ruggedman says, He still raps like an American but uses Nigerian slang's. Gino, M.I, Ikechukwu, Naeto C, Sasha etc can't rap any other way than "foreign".

R&B, on the other hand, has no excuse for not being Nigerian, because it's much easier to sing Nigerian than rap Nigerian. That's why people like P-queer vex me at times. Styl-plus are actually trying, have you heard their album? Faze, 2face, and 9ice are fiercely Nigerian. My point is, before you jump to conclusions about any particular artist first listen to their album, then come back and analyze.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by icezik1(m): 3:23pm On Jul 25, 2008
@gAMINE

i'M JUST TRYING TO KEEP IT REAL! yOU KNOW ME, NOW.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Mustay(m): 4:19pm On Jul 25, 2008
NA wa o!

Asa is the ONLY ONE I like.

I can dance to the others but they simply make no sense sad
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Bamsyle(m): 5:49pm On Jul 25, 2008
@YourFather
Let me start by saying, you are someone I have come to appreciate his point of view.

Feeling's mutual my brother.

. . . maybe labeling it culture was the mistake

I can't agree more. I think labelling the issue here "culture" is somewhat ambiguous. It connotes several contradictory meanings. The main issue here is; as much as possible, be natural at what you do - don't fake it. Culture is a silent ingredient of originality.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by arianne(f): 5:51pm On Jul 25, 2008
i don't listen to alot of nigerian artistes as well as their songs for the obvious reason stated in the thread! these days, every tom, dick and ali baba wants to churn out a single, wear fly gear and glasses in videos, but content and depth- zero!

asa is still my favourite for now. am also digging that nayo chick. very original and talented.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by LASIEFAIRE(m): 5:58pm On Jul 25, 2008
Asa
Age Beeka
Fela

Sound Sultan.
9ice
Faze (my favorite plantashuz)
nomoreloss
Sunny Ade
Yinka Ayefele
Modenine
Terry the Rapman
Six foot Plus

Bold: Cant beat those guys, their music is inspiring and lovely.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 7:02pm On Jul 25, 2008
@ice_zik, I don't stay in Nigeria. So what radio are you talking about?

Who's Asa anywayz??
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 25, 2008
Did it ever occur to you that some people are feeling the so called non-Nigerian artistes? I enjoy P-Square for one, and I think the issue most people have with them (I don't understand this) is their dressiness and danciness (permit me to use those words). They don't have the foreign accent in the singing, they use pidgin and Ibo and Yoruba, and what more.

What do you expect? Foreign stuff has gotten to us so much, from our language to technology to dressing to food to almost everything else. And you want to isolate the music? Come on, let's get real.
Re: Who Are We Fooling? Nigerian Music by icezik1(m): 2:54pm On Jul 28, 2008
@Chiogo

I know what I'm about to do is bad and I'm very sorry. However, I also want to say that I buy the album's of anyone I like eg. Mode9, 9ice, DJ Jimmy Jatt, Terry Tha Rapman.

Just go to http://www.fusiongreen.com and "listen" to Nigerian songs.

(1) (Reply)

Your Album/promo Copy Cover Design Is Very Important / Alaba Marketers. Curse Or Blessing. / Link To Watch Nigerian Presidential Debate Live Today 2.30pm Est. 7.30pm Gmt (ni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.