Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,773 members, 7,802,375 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? (8830 Views)

Am I Wrong In Asking My Husband "How Are You"? / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:48am On Dec 10, 2013
^ the definition was for a careerist. It applies to men and women. In fact, it applies more to men since men are more guilty of it.

careerist (plural careerists)
A person who pursues the advancement of his career at the expense of other values.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/careerist

careerist - a professional who is intent on furthering his or her career by any possible means and often at the expense of their own integrity
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/career+man

There are value oriented men and women who balance work and home life. and there are the careerist men (and women) who probably are those who neglect their children, spouse, family, friends and even their own health and happiness or values to pursue career goals. Again, by sheer number, men are more guilty of this than women. Just that society makes it ok for men to be absent from their family and condemns women more harshly for the same thing. an absent mother is no worse than an absent father.

so I don't understand why you choose to apply your stupid definition just to women. I call it stupid because you assume that anyone who is not a careerist must be jobless man or stay-at-home woman. You misinterpreted the FT "definition." Use your critical thinking skills next time. Even if you find a definition on one website, check other sites (including the dictionary) to verify what you see and to understand the meaning.

anyway, if you don't want to marry a careerist, no one is putting a gun to your head. Who cares. many of them (men AND women) probably don't even care for marriage for the time being.
However, you are disingenuous when you promote the idea that any woman who is not a stay at home mom is a bad mother, bad wife and other 18th century nonsense you are spouting.
majority of women with careers are also good mothers and wives. same goes for majority of men with careers.

reminds me of the story of this guy. certainly a careerist.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398415/Moritz-Erhardt-dies-High-flying-bank-intern-died-working-crazy-hours-written-huge-pressure-succeed.html
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 12:15pm On Dec 11, 2013
lynk106: ^ the definition was for a careerist. It applies to men and women. In fact, it applies more to men since men are more guilty of it.

careerist (plural careerists)
A person who pursues the advancement of his career at the expense of other values.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/careerist

careerist - a professional who is intent on furthering his or her career by any possible means and often at the expense of their own integrity
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/career+man

you don't have enough wisdom....refer back to the first page. i said career women are to be avoided by family oriented men. no one is talking about careerist here. the focus is on career women!

There are value oriented men and women who balance work and home life. and there are the careerist men (and women) who probably are those who neglect their children, spouse, family, friends and even their own health and happiness or values to pursue career goals. Again, by sheer number, men are more guilty of this than women. Just that society makes it ok for men to be absent from their family and condemns women more harshly for the same thing. an absent mother is no worse than an absent father.

the society did not make anything ok for the men. even hardline feminists want their husbands to be the breadwinner. men prefer to be the breadwinner. for him to be the breadwinner, he must work to take care of his family. he cannot get pregnant & he doesn't brëastfeed.

so I don't understand why you choose to apply your stupid definition just to women. I call it stupid because you assume that anyone who is not a careerist must be jobless man or stay-at-home woman. You misinterpreted the FT "definition." Use your critical thinking skills next time. Even if you find a definition on one website, check other sites (including the dictionary) to verify what you see and to understand the meaning.

your IQ must be in a single digit. financial times described her as a woman who believes that her career is more important than finding a husband or having children.

collins & cambridge dictionaries also had their say on the matter. your own dictionary defined careerist, not a career woman. my posts were about career women so what's with you & distorting facts?

seriously, where's the misinterpretation. it's clearly written there. from the word go, my submission has been family oriented men should avoid career women. stop twisting the argument to careerists. you can tell your fellow women that are family-oriented as well to avoid career men. grin grin

anyway, if you don't want to marry a careerist, no one is putting a gun to your head. Who cares. many of them (men AND women) probably don't even care for marriage for the time being.

i don't want a career woman. the type that will do anything at the expense of her integrity. the type that is not really interested in having children & she's unhappy with her kids.

However, you are disingenuous when you promote the idea that any woman who is not a stay at home mom is a bad mother, bad wife and other 18th century nonsense you are spouting. majority of women with careers are also good mothers and wives. same goes for majority of men with careers.

of course, some people can cope with both roles but that doesn't make it ideal. that i can cope walking 5 miles to office does not make it thriving. this is one thing you "liberated" women cannot understand. you are just a capitalist slave. mothers who abandon their newborns for hired hands because of their career are bad mothers.

reminds me of the story of this guy. certainly a careerist. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398415/Moritz-Erhardt-dies-High-flying-bank-intern-died-working-crazy-hours-written-huge-pressure-succeed.html

rubbish!
he's not a family man(no wife & no kids). in case you have lost focus on what the argument is about - we are talking about career & family. what's it gotta do with a student? this was how you tried to veer off tangent by producing a statistics that had nothing to do with career women to score a point. if you don't have enough knowledge about this issue - stop replying!!!

5 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by bilms(m): 10:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Opinion From Mothers Pls / Which Wife Can Accept This? / What To Pack In Hospital Bag For Birthing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.