Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Play “Afrotalez” A Game By Elizabeth ; Nigeria’s First Female App Developer - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Play “Afrotalez” A Game By Elizabeth ; Nigeria’s First Female App Developer (1155 Views)

You Know You're A Game Addict When / Titi Tilapia: Nigeria's First Computer Game: Gameplay Video / Buy The Godfather Game By Mario Puzo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Play “Afrotalez” A Game By Elizabeth ; Nigeria’s First Female App Developer by digidamage: 7:28pm On Nov 20, 2013

We here at GameNaija are always excited about all new things gaming and you can imagine our joy when we got an email this week about a Nigerian App/Game.. Created by a babe … Yup … You heard us right… It’s a story-telling Android app aptly named AfroTalez that tells African Folktales mostly centred around the Tortoise who is a crafty intelligent fellow. It’s designed for young kids between the ages of 2 to 10 . It promises lots of fun and has education aspects too to build kids “object recognition” and “Counting”. The First Episode has just been released and the story is titled “The Tortoise,The Elephant and The Hippopotamus”

I have given it a go and on first glance, the illustration are amazing… Voicing is excellent too. We will do a proper review by next week

You can keep reading for the rest of the Interview and links to download the app free…

Her name is Elizabeth Kperrun and she’s a quite the entrepreneur…

Who are You?

My name is Elizabeth Kperrun and I am a degree student of Business and Entrepreneurial Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria. I am also an entrepreneur (I buy and sell children’s clothing), and I also dabble into occasional photography.

I have always had a passion for the betterment of women and children, to this end; I began contributing articles to a website dedicated to women development i.e. www.everywomanmag.com

How did AfroTalez come about?

A few months ago, I had an idea for creating an app that would tell African Folktales (especially about the Legendary Tortoise) to our young kids (From ages 3-9). In this age of Smartphones, Internet access and co, there is the possibility that some of these folktales may gradually die and not be passed on orally as our generation and that of our forebears got to hear them. We grew up on these stories and the morals they taught. The fun and imagination they inspired are what lead us through our childhood, so it would be really sad if they were lost. That’s another aspect of the Nigerian/African culture gradually dying out in the face of rapid westernization. I feel we should combat this as much as we can. This is my little way of contributing.

In addition to the Folktales, I thought it will be good to add a few educational elements like object recognition and counting. So, I did a lot of research, which included visiting my mom, my grandmamma and aunts for a refresher course in some of these folktales. Lol. And thus “The Tortoise, The Elephant and The Hippopotamus” was birthed as the pilot episode of the Afrotalez series. I rewrote the story to suit modern day language and designed the entire game including the interactive parts on paper.

Where there any challenges?

Yes, Sadly I had no art or programming skills but I was determined to see this app come to life, so I got online and contacted Idamiebi Ilamina-Eremie , the head of the team behind Titi Tilapia(Nigeria’s First PC Game www.tititilapia.com ) and shared my idea with him, he was very interested in the idea and we sat down to work on it, I also contacted another longtime friend and music producer Christoper ‘Cikk0’ Ogbuehi to help create the music for the game. And that was basically it. A few months later, we had AfroTalez . It’s an awesome interactive android app that’s tells African Folktales while improving the mental capabilities of young children. We expect to create more stories every few months but would really love to see people’s response to this first one.

Is AfroTalez available Now?

It’s available for free and can be downloaded here. www.nexva.com/32127

For now though, with limited funding, I could only develop an android version. With subsequent episodes, we intend to make it available on other platforms including PC, Web, Blackberry, Iphone and more.

Any other words for our Readers?

It hasn’t been easy being a female app developer especially here in Nigeria but my passion has kept me going. I believe this will encourage other young women to go for their goals, even if you don’t have all the skills required, the important thing is having the idea and finding the right people to collaborate with.

I have attached some pictures of the app and one of myself should you need it for the article. The official website is www.afrotalez.com

So that’s it people, we will be keeping our eyes on this project, to see how it goes. You can also follow the project on Facebook

www.facebook.com/afrotalez

Source: http://gamenaija.com/play-afrotalez-a-game-by-elizabeth-nigerias-first-female-app-developer/

(1) (Reply)

Whats Your Favourite Game On Ps3 / How To Download Modern Combat 4 On Android Without Purchasing / Spot The Difference Between Both Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.