Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers (14424 Views)

QUIZ for Graduate Engineers - Test yourself / My Secret Tips For A Career Success. Also Suitable For Jobseekers. / Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by esere826: 7:04am On Nov 21, 2013
I saw this in Segun Adeniyi's column of thisday, and copied it diretly from the source. I dedicate it to fresh Nigerian graduates in Nigeria and the UK

Written by Todd Hircsh
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/new-graduates-have-skills-not-fields/article14558219/

Dear Applicant: Thank you for your letter inquiring about positions in our economics department. At this time, we have no openings. However, I will keep your letter on file should an appropriate job become available.

At least, that’s what I am required to tell you. But here’s what I’d really like to say to you – and to every recent economics graduate who sends me the same letter.

First, I know it’s lousy for bachelor of arts grads looking for a job “in their field.” Twenty years ago, it was lousy for me too. It’s almost always lousy. In a way, it’s kind of supposed to be – a small rite of passage to welcome you into the working world. It’s sort of like being froshed.

But if I may, I would like to offer some advice.

Don’t be too fixated on landing a job “in your field.” The truth is, you don’t yet have a field. In university, you majored in economics, but that may or may not be your eventual field of professional work. The world is full of possibilities; limiting your search to an economist job is a terribly narrow way to start out.

You chose to study economics, which doesn’t necessarily imply that you’ll be an economist. Rather, it implies you have an aptitude for problem solving. You’re probably good at analyzing data. You can see different sides of an argument. And I’ll bet you’re excellent at finding solutions to problems. These are essential skills required in hundreds of rewarding (and lucrative) fields of professional employment.

Your ultimate field may actually be in sales for a biotech firm. It may be analyzing crime statistics for the city police. It may even be a rock star (just ask Mick Jagger). The world is full of “fields.”

What you’re facing is a common problem: BA graduates confuse their major area of study with what they expect to be their eventual careers. It doesn’t matter if it’s a degree in history, film studies, sociology, or comparative feminist literature.

5 Likes

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by esere826: 7:06am On Nov 21, 2013
....continued

You’ve successfully navigated your way through a four-year degree. Congratulations! That is no small accomplishment. But now you’re embarking on a totally different program of learning – one that will last the rest of your life. It’s called “What am I here for?”

That may sound all spiritual and existential, but don’t let it throw you off. It just means that your challenge from here on is to find what you’re good at, and keep getting better and better at it.

An apology, by the way, on behalf of society. We are sorry if we led you to believe that attending university would land you a good job. That’s not actually true. A polytechnic college will do this – and the job opportunities available right now are fantastic. A good option for you might be to continue post-university studies at a polytechnic.

But your university education, at least at the bachelor of arts level, was never intended to land you a job. It was intended to make you a more complete thinker. It was intended to teach you how to absorb complex information and make reasoned arguments. It was, quite simply, intended to teach you how to learn. Those are skills that you’ll use in any field of work.

Open your mind to all sorts of job possibilities. Don’t be too proud to start out in the service industry, or where you might get your fingernails dirty. Talk to as many people as you can about their career paths. Go live overseas for a year or two. But never, ever, allow yourself to think you’ve wasted your time in university if you don’t land a job as an economist.

Meanwhile, be encouraged and stay positive. And yes, I will keep your letter on file. But my guess is that when a position in my economics group eventually opens up, you’ll no longer be available.

9 Likes

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by jaybee3(m): 7:07am On Nov 21, 2013
Brilliant piece
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by esere826: 7:11am On Nov 21, 2013
^^ it is truely brilliant
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by koolJ1(f): 7:38am On Nov 21, 2013
Excellent! Coincidentally, I was told same by my super to 'keep my options open'. This is front page material
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Xtaceeey: 8:47am On Nov 21, 2013
Lovely...

I knew der was smfn abt ds post.. Its gonna make FP.

Oh yes it did it did !!!

Am on FP!!!
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 21, 2013
Nice write up
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by AjanleKoko: 11:44am On Nov 21, 2013
Good words.
Though one does wonder how it is that the fresh graduates are not able to figure this out for themselves already undecided

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by esere826: 11:53am On Nov 21, 2013
AjanleKoko: Good words.
Though one does wonder how it is that the fresh graduates are not able to figure this out for themselves already undecided

because daddy said we should study Engineering so that we will work in oyel company
,consequently, we spent 2 yrs trying to outsmart JAMB, then 5yrs atually studying, plus 3 yrs ASUU strike plus 2 yrs spill over in the university studying engineering. A good 12 yrs

So we must work in oyel company oooooo angry

10 Likes

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by AjanleKoko: 1:25pm On Nov 21, 2013
esere826:

because daddy said we should study Engineering so that we will work in oyel company
,consequently, we spent 2 yrs trying to outsmart JAMB, then 5yrs atually studying, plus 3 yrs ASUU strike plus 2 yrs spill over in the university studying engineering. A good 12 yrs

So we must work in oyel company oooooo angry

LOL at bolded.
But it's interesting sha. Nigeria is also being forced to face up to global realities.
The next generation will be very different, even in Naija.
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by demmy55(m): 4:54pm On Nov 21, 2013
Just want to comment before reading.

Thank you for posting it here.
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by priscaoge(f): 4:55pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nice Piece @Op..........Pls help me and tell ASUU to allow mi write my final exam. Even ASUP sef tire mi,person no de hear der voice abi dem matter don die?

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Big4wig(m): 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2013
Cool write up See Chat oo

Charmer:::: Hello Sweet Girl
Sweetgirl:::: Hi Lover Boy!
Charmer:::: Can I know you more please?
Sweetgirl:::: 17, female, sweet lips, bootylicious n’ delicious, live in Avondale and you?
Charmer:::: Mmmmmh, I am in love already.
I’m 52, male, 6 pack, big Chest, live in Avondale.
Sweetgirl:::: You’re 52? OMG! Serious. Same age as my dad?
Charmer:::: I’m just so into fresh young beautiful girls.
Sweetgirl:::: Do you have a wife?
Charmer:::: Yes, but not as sexy as you, I have a daughter, she is in her bedroom with her friend doing homework.
Sweetgirl:::: Then why do you like young girls?
Charmer:::: I love them because they are
beautiful not to mention sexy n’ wit fresh boobs n’ booty
Sweetgirl:::: I am also into older men with iPhones, ipads, cash and driving expensive cars.
Charmer:::: I can offer all of that and even more.
Sweetgirl:::: I think we shud meet because
you are in Avondale and I am also here.
Charmer:::: That would be nice, where do I pick you up tomorrow with my new BMW X6 sexy girl?
Sweetgirl:::: Tomorrow I am going to school it won’t be possible.
Charmer:::: Or maybe over the weekend,
going to school is very important. Sweetgirl:::: While still chatting letme continue with my homework I don’t want my dad to know that i have a BlackBerry, he will be mad at me.
Charmer:::: Which homework is that? may be I can assist you. Sweetgirl:::: It’s a Biology assignment and my friend Lucy is assisting me.
Charmer:::: Hey, your friend’s name is Lucy?
Sweetgirl:::: Yes.
Charmer:::: Exactly where in Avondale are
you? Sweetgirl:::: House number 5 and you?
Charmer:::: Mercy!!! is that you
Sweetgirl:::: Dad, is that you
Wahalaaaaaaaaaaa!!.

13 Likes

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by OCcool: 4:58pm On Nov 21, 2013
Gbam!!! Now this is one helluva of a write up. Tres bien!!!
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Pokemon43(f): 4:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
nice one
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Evablazze(m): 5:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
Must read http:///18avlHQ
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by tellwisdom: 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
Will this put work on their table??
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Pokemon43(f): 5:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
Big4wig: .

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by ogedanny: 5:10pm On Nov 21, 2013
hmmm.....Nice Post and great advice for Job Seekers
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by freshprincex49(m): 5:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
As if the alternative choices are there to be taken.... Staying positive...YES!
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
Amen
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by ifyalways(f): 5:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
On point!

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by barthchuks(m): 5:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nice one if and only if ASUU will allow we the propective graduates
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
barthchuks: Nice one if and only if ASUU will allow we the propective graduates
amen
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by ICHIEMAN: 5:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
u spent 99% of ur brain thinking abt ASUU and BOKO. D remaining one percent-food,money,education,fun,family,failures etc. Tell me hw can thinking abt several job opportunities or working in oye! Company b possible. Nice country.
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by creativemusic: 5:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
good grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by shejane: 5:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
Belv in God dats 1st den work hard go out nd look 4 vacancies, visit diff offices nd lyk I said belv in God nd he wil do it bt uav 2 put effort
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by mcdokwe(m): 5:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
Don't wait to be employed, get something doing no matter how petite, in the long run you could get double whatever someone is willing to pay you and even more flexible work hours for leisure and meeting up with other obligation
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Basic(m): 5:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Great write-up!
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
Only in Naija cry

See nonsense. All this talk is just yarns. The fact of the matter is there are no jobs in Nigeria.

Face the reality. Instead of dancing skelewu and pinging on bbm, you Nigerian youths should arise and take back your country from your oppressive govt.

But i have a feeling i am just blowing hot air cry

3 Likes

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by shejane: 5:32pm On Nov 21, 2013
Wot we nigerians shd kw is dat d course we read in university dot alwys determine d kind of job we gt aft skul

Try diff places, u wil b surprise dat u wil find ursef in anoda field nd stil do well

Anoda tin is dat we are in a hurry 2 make it big so all eyes are on oil companies
Is nt suppose 2b so
Try oda small ministries wt small salary nd stil b looking 4 d big ones

Most rich men 2day started small nd der made it 2day
D impotant tin is 2 work nd b useful
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by shejane: 5:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
Is nt abt starting somtin bt sustaining it
Is very diiffcult 2 run a buss in dis co3
A co3 wt no steady light, where u use half ur buzz moni 4 fuel or diesel
A co3 where u wil pay more dan u are making 2 different govt officials wt dif names

Hw much wil remain 2 run dat buzz, pple are nt lazy bt jjus dat ground no level atall

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Warning Signs That You Won’t Get The Job – And How You Can Fix It / 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company / Should Workers Who Use "My Oga At The Top" Joke During Office Hours Be Punished?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.