Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,130 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 (36320 Views)

UPGRADING: 2007 Camry To 2010 / Top 10 Most Expensive Suvs On The Market In 2014 / 2008 Toyota Camry, leather, alloys. camry to bad, i can't shout. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by thegame(m): 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
everyone has a point. i just hope this damn policy came at a good time. lest, the people with brand new cars get stoned to death and the roads aren't safe for them all, including the bbasttards that roll with 50 policemen while the whole yaba has about 15 1-cartridge-per-ak47 wielding policemen.
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Stylaay(m): 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
Our leaders are just plain stupid. Coscharis while introducing the jaguar F150 made mention of a 30% increase in import duty come february hence the need for people to purchase the car before then. I ask should manufacturing vehicles be the priority of this country now given the fact we import almost everything. The textile industry is still in a state of comatose, our steel smelting and rolling mills, our refineries are not functioning at optimal capacity, the power sector is like one step forward 3 step backwards. If the government wants to stimulate industrial revolution in nigeria there are so many areas they should confront headlong before dabbling into manufacturing of vehicles. These same hypocrites will be driving around in brand new mercedes benz, bmws, toyotas etc. They will loot our collective wealth and comfortably buy new cars while the ordinary man the government has refused to pay a realistic living wage will not be able to afford a car. Let them go ahead and implement it. The aganga's of today will leave office someday. If they like they can run to UK after their stint in office. Someday they will come back to nigeria and God help them if they are not felled by bullets of angry men who can't afford the flashy cars they will be flaunting. How many innoson vehicles do they have packed in thier garages. Our leaders just are not in touch with the realities we have to face daily to survive in nigeria. Can't we start from car batteries, tyres, fan belts etc. We just don't like taking the pains of perfecting our knowledge bit by bit and step by step dats why we'll fail. We r indeed a funny pipo

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by soversatile: 12:14am On Nov 22, 2013
May thunder fire dem undecided i knw one tin; dey can only do dat but cant collect my legs. So FOOT-wagen rooooocks grin
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by enm(m): 1:31am On Nov 22, 2013
hardbody:

It is very possible. I will start by buying tyres, then the front compartments and the booth and bumper thereafter i send for th engine, take all to Ladipo and they will couple it for me. I trust my igbo brothers. The assembled car might even be cheaper than than the current ones priced at N9m. Where there is a will, there will always be a way

And before you know it, small scale car assembly plant will start springing up here and there and from there big scale car assembly or manufacturing plant.

I smell opportunities here for those who are willing to take the risk.
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by thegame(m): 1:43am On Nov 22, 2013
so-versatile:
May thunder fire dem undecided i knw one tin; dey can only do dat but cant collect my legs. So FOOT-wagen rooooocks grin
We really should stop saying this. How many places will your legs take you to?
And also, cost of transportation will increase. The regular vanagon may hike fees, transport workers, insurance, everything that's related to the value of a car. This thing could lead to a fcukin anarchy if care is not taken. Just widening the gap more between the rich and poor. And worse, no alternative yet.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by lastpage: 7:00am On Nov 22, 2013
^^^^ RELAX my Brother,

Like l've often heard said, "THOSE WHOM THE GOD'S ARE ABOUT TO DESTORY, THEY FIRST MAKE THEM DEAF AND DUMB SO THAT THEY WILL BE IMPERVIOUS TO WISDOM!" undecided undecided

That is surely the case of Nigerian rulers and Politicians.

Like the Yorubas will say, "Maa'domi niso, ibikan l'oma ja'asi"! grin grin (dey phuck me dey go, na something go result from am now!)

Lastpage!
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 22, 2013
enm:

And before you know it, small scale car assembly plant will start springing up here and there and from there big scale car assembly or manufacturing plant.

I smell opportunities here for those who are willing to take the risk.

Generators are assembled in nigeria, and the sound proofed ones are always problematic. We also have generator sellers passing off refurbs as new. For a country like nigeria, with our lazy indifferent artisans, dead SON, and crooked businessmen, that is just asking for trouble. The same nigeria where kia/hyundai once had a 'no airbag' spec?
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by revolt(m): 8:29am On Nov 22, 2013
waterhouse071: Then lets start producing cars locally instead of taking loans to buy junks. with GOD all things are possible.
bros Google ivm perhaps ull
realise he uninformed you are
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by dollydolly(f): 8:40am On Nov 22, 2013
Okija_juju: The government is increasing Duty on cars so that Nigerians would buy that crap that Innoson, PAN and all those Chinese assembly companies are building abi?! grin

No hating o!! I think Innoson is doing a good job, but I dont think that this is the way to encourage him..

All that will end up happening is that People will resort to going into Cotonou to buy cars and drive it across the boarder. It would be cheaper to buy a Car in Cotonou, register it, drive it across the border under the Ecowas treaty and change the plates once its in..

N to think that I have given up on you.
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by dollydolly(f): 8:48am On Nov 22, 2013
a.emmey:
to be candid, the FG thinking is one sided,
do u notice that we can only assemble car,we don't have the resources that will can use to manufacture car.the best option is for Nige ria to follow d Ricardian theory of international trade or hecksher ohlin theory.
. Omo u go fear Economist nah! Oga abeg enlighten us on this said theory.
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:51am On Nov 22, 2013
This is a very very STOOOOPID policy
Where is the electricity for the plants to work?

This is a very very STOOOOPID policy
If that yeye minister knows he can attract foreign investment he should create the environment for it and not force artificial hardship on people.
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by IykeNipoga(m): 9:14am On Nov 22, 2013
I ordered 4 2015 model
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Dynast(m): 9:55am On Nov 22, 2013
It is a nice policy aimed at forcing most Car manufacturers to co to Nigeria and set up their plant, hence create job opportunities.This will help bring down exchange rate
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Santuses: 10:43am On Nov 22, 2013
May they ripe what they sow,
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by ericomon: 10:59am On Nov 22, 2013
BizBooks: I’m not making this up. This happens to be the informed opinion of a Toyota
Salesman in Lagos regarding the ban on importation of tokunbo cars. Here’s
the exact quote:

“…our Camry is about N9 Million now. But I can assure you that when
we reflect the new 70% duty and levy…Camry will be about N20 Million”

This represents an increase of more than 100%. We can expect all other car prices
to go up by that much in 2014. Unfortunately, Nigeria is like a nation on a barber's
chair. We move whichever direction our leaders push us, good or bad with little or
no resistance.

It is not too late to put a stop to this ill-advised policy. Contact every elected
and government official you know by email, phone, twitter, facebook etc. Make
your opinion known to them. If enough people complain, this policy might be
reversed.

Note: The Toyota Salesman was referring to a brand new Toyota Camry.

Disclosure: The writer is an importer of tokunbo cars and will profit from a
reversal of this policy.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/car-prices-rise-250/
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by debosky(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
I don't see how increase of duty from 20% to 70% will cause a camry to go from 9m to 20m (over 100% increase). Or maybe I'm missing something?

Import restrictions can work/be valuable IF it is coupled with developing a viable local manufacturing base. I don't think the latter will happen here, neither will it stop capital flight.

The engines, panels, etc will still be produced abroad and shipped in, with minimal assembly performed here. All that will happen is that profits currently dispersed to the numerous car importers will be concentrated in the hands of a few manufacturers.
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Femoje(m): 12:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
This post is rubbish, please moderator make sure you check post with fact before putting it on front page, for your information the federal government did not ban car importation, charges on car importations where only increased to reduce the high rate of used car importation. You can checkout this link to confirm, www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aganga-no-ban-on-importation-of-second-hand-vehicles/160654/
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by romityl: 1:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
DIZ NAIJA NA VERY BAD PLACE WER CORUPTN WON CHOP OUR LIFE FINISH I WONDER Y PPLE WH DO NT BUY FROM DE COMMON MAN MARKET OKONJO WILL COME WIT HER WHITE POLICIES TO DECIV GOVMNT .......MUST DAT WOMAN B DER FOR OUR NAIJA TO MOVE 4WRD MK UNA ANS ME I BEG............
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by BizBooks(m): 1:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
Femoje: ...for your information the federal government did not ban car importation, charges on car importations where only increased to reduce the high rate of used car importation. You can checkout this link to confirm, www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aganga-no-ban-on-importation-of-second-hand-vehicles/160654/

A ban by any other name is still a ban. While the government did not say
they are banning the importation of tokunbo cars, they have done so by
their actions. Below is quote from the article you linked to:

"The minister explained that what government had done was to raise tariff
on importation with a view to discouraging the influx of used vehicles into
the country, while also encouraging local manufacturing."

As you can see from the minister's statement, the word "discourage" is simply
a clever way of saying "ban".

The minister being referred to is Minister of Industry, Trade, and Investment,
Olusegun Aganga
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by gidson12(m): 11:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
that aganga man must be stooooopid
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by ibrahim55(m): 12:50am On Nov 23, 2013
felzylix: @least road traffic n accident go reduce..
obviously oshi Ndamu clan yin seriously pple like dis shudnt have access 2 D internet

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by ibrahim55(m): 12:56am On Nov 23, 2013
mckorode: Tying to take steps that India took without putting the right things in place.
The transport system in the country is poor and it very inconvenient. That is why cars are a necessity.
You will establish factories for who to work in? With lack of skilled labor, Even new cars from industrial countries like japan have issues...you now expect Nigerians to use their money to buy made in Nigeria so that chassis go leave engine for highway abi!!!
The factories will be full of expats and will be running on generator abii...

The advisers to the govt are not very smart individuals though.
not very smart? Dey are dumbs jare
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by Nobody: 4:01am On Nov 23, 2013
Whats the name of the movie?
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by faghoshe(m): 11:33am On Nov 23, 2013
the mata na be say we go pack leave the big men from this country make them buy all the cars for themselves and when we come back we go bomb them all like gbogbo and ram
Re: Toyota Camry To Cost N20 Million In 2014 by PAQ(m): 2:32pm On Mar 13
10yrs later Brand new Camry is now N80million! Where una?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Caught Trying To Buy A New Car With Fake Transfer In Lagos (Video) / **'99 VW Golf 3 Station Wagon** For Sale: / 2006 Honda Accord SE Pre-Ordered By Ojix85 Of NL From Fhemmmy -**DELIVEREDDDD**

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.