Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:48 PM

Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! (35743 Views)

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Nigerian English Not Pidgin English A Myth Or Reality A Foreigner's Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I see? and also spices and precious jewels is it.

In my opinion , the Queen of Sheba was not even from Ethiopia, but from Yemen.

Even the Yemenis have a claim over her.

Excerpts:

''The tradition that the Biblical Queen of Sheba was a ruler of Ethiopia who visited King Solomon in Jerusalem, in ancient Israel, is supported by the first century AD. Roman historian Flavius Josephus, who identified Solomon’s visitor as a "Queen of Egypt and Ethiopia".......there are no known traditions of matriarchal rule in Yemen during the early first millennium BC''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Sheba
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Malakh: 6:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Yes they are, they don't like us though, but put in mind that when our people dwelt in the midst of this people,they took on their names
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Oh god...Theres A LOT of @sses that I'm going to have to kick in this thread and it aint going to be good let me tell you that.

*sigh*

I see that some people have adopted the idea that North Africa has always been Caucasian or Eurasian...

Second off...We DO NOT know what race Hanibal was because there are...
1. No depictions of him.
2. No remains
3. No historical quotes about his depiction.

We have NOTHING on him, but we know that the INDIGENOUS inhabitants Carthage were INDIGENOUS AFRICANS! And the African kingdom of Numimbia succeeded from Carthage.

Second get rid of the term negro...It only means a black and Africans are far too diverse.

As for West Asia AKA the Middle East...The ORIGINAL inhabitants were black [/i]and looked [i]black. But were they genetically related to Africans? Most likely not...They were most likely early black Asians like the Andaman Islanders who look black but are NOT related to Africans.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by barcaboi(m): 6:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
shymexx: I'm not disputing this. However, why the name Jebu and Jekri (for Itsekiri's who are mostly Ijebu by the way)? The Jebusites were the original inhabitants of present day Palestine and they were definitely black at that point in history. So what happened to them and where did they go?

We all know Ijebu ancestry has no link with Oduduwa and Obanta's origin is debatable. However, the Ijebu's were already in Ode before the arrival of Obanta from Ife or Waddai in Sudan (depending on which of the two you align with).
U sabi history bros....9ce 1......Ijebu was neva a yoruba tribe....cause Oduduwa visited d Awujale of dat time showing that Ijebu existed b4 yorubas......and this OP shd not prove he knows yoruba lineage......Sea voyager my foot......do we have sea in Ijebu....we hav only in Epe wch is under Lagos
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I see? and also spices and precious jewels is it.

In my opinion , the Queen of Sheba was not even from Ethiopia, but from Yemen.

Even the Yemenis have a claim over her.

Yes, there are conflicting theories, but the most convincing is that Sheba was the same as the kingdom of Saba, in Southern Arabia (now Yemen). Sabeans and Ethiopians had a long history of interaction, and Ethiopians even ruled them for some time...hence the claim. It's not impossible that the Ethiopian ruling family had maternal Sabean ancestry.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by barcaboi(m): 6:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
ladionline: I don't follow 'politico' tradition. Ijebu is of the nexus of Oduduwa. The need to be different is not unconnected to the success of Awo's Egbe omo Oduduwa, which pitch great Ijebu against great Ife by 'lesser' remo (Awo) to Ijebu. The dilema of the time was how these two power blocs will see face to face, after the feud of 19th century, hence the ethical severance you are refering to. Awo differ to Ife in spirit of oneness of all Yoruba.
Awo did not start Ijebu lineage...he was born as 1....we have nothin to do wt ife,google ijebu's history out and see.....yoruba was closest to us so it was easy to adapt our language and way of life
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

As for West Asia AKA the Middle East...The ORIGINAL inhabitants were black [/i]and looked [i]black. But were they genetically related to Africans? Most likely not...They were most likely early black Asians like the Andaman Islanders who look black but are NOT related to Africans.

BIG-TIME BS!

Where did the Arabs drop from?

The SKy?

What about Kindah and Himyar?

What about Mahra and Harasiis?

What about Nabatea?

Todays Bedu Arabs are not original inhabitants?

I can never believe that.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by barcaboi(m): 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
shymexx:

Not disputing that. However, I'm just alluding to Ijebu history/ancestry and how it has no connection with Oduduwa. I was raised to be Yoruba. But there are tons of Ijebu's out there who don't believe that they're Yoruba. They might be in the minority, however, they also have a right to explore their ancestry. Since everything about the origins of all the ethnic groups in Nigeria is inconclusive. We all know there was no one in present-day Nigeria, during pre-historic times. So where did all these people migrate from?

Also, you and I can't deny the fact that the Ijebu's are the most hated group among Yoruba's by other Yoruba subgroups. Despite being at the forefront of the Yoruba identity in post-colonial Nigeria. So if certain people feel the need to get a different identity - why can't you let them do that? Heck, even Awolowo said he was Ijebu before he became Yoruba because of the hate.
Well spoken;I'm ijebu 1st b4 Yoruba
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by barcaboi(m): 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
GoodlukJonathan: Ijebus are yorubad people and by implication, dunderheads!

They are not Jebusites
U are a fool 4 calling pple stupid names......tribalistic buffoon......GTFOH

2 Likes

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: As for West Asia AKA the Middle East...The ORIGINAL inhabitants were black [/i]and looked [i]black. But were they genetically related to Africans? Most likely not...They were most likely early black Asians like the Andaman Islanders who look black but are NOT related to Africans.

Show us your DNA evidence showing black people ''not related to Africa''.

My investigations show that the 'early black Asians' you refer to have AFRICAN ANCESTRY:

''Haplogroup C-M130 in particular appears to be one of the Y-DNA clades which dispersed especially early towards the east; its phylogeographic distribution supports a single coastal Out-of-Africa route by way of the Indian subcontinent, which eventually led to the early settlement of modern humans in mainland Southeast Asia''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_C-M130_(Y-DNA)
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

BIG-TIME BS!

The SKy?

What about Nabatea?

Um...actually there were Australoids in Arabia before the current Caucasians got there. Traces of these earlier population still survive in Yemen. They were black-skinned, with straight/wavy hair. Needless to say, they were genetically unrelated to Negroid Africans. They are genetically closer to some Indian and Sri Lankan peoples , and the Australian aborigines.

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Radoillo:

Needless to say, they were genetically unrelated to Negroid Africans.

Your claim is contradicted by the evidence.

Those groups above are of DNA Haplogroup C-M130 which

''in particular appears to be one of the Y-DNA clades which dispersed especially early towards the east; its phylogeographic distribution supports a single coastal Out-of-Africa route by way of the Indian subcontinent, which eventually led to the early settlement of modern humans in mainland Southeast Asia.''

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sorry...Radoillo, you're cool and everything but you have indirectly been influenced by Eurocentrcism.

Radoillo:

That's my position too. Being born and raised n African soil, though I would say he was African. There are probably still some North Africans in Algeria and Tunisia who share his Punic genes. grin

Anyway, these other North Africans lived within two hundred years of each other (same as Hannibal), and they weren't portrayed in their time as 'Negroid'. Juba I and Juba II, Kings of a North African KIngdom...and Septimius Severus (part-Phoenician, part-Berber) who became the Emperor of Rome

First off...Negroid is an outdated term which is just the result of eye balling anthropology. There are West Africans who are non Negroid By saying that you're basically sounding like our resident Somali troll Ajuran. The original inhabitants of North Africa were in no shape or form Caucasian, there is no proof of that whatsoever.

Even though Negroid is an outdated term, here is what historians have to day about the native population of Carthage.

To what extent Carthaginians employed Negro slaves is doubtful. Punic cemeteries have yielded numerous skulls of a negroid character, and there were some very dark-skinned Africans, perhaps negroes, in the Carthaginian army which invaded Sicily early in the fifth century B.C. Frontinus tells us that as prisoners they were paraded naked before the Greeks soldiery in order to bring the Carthaginians into contempt. On the other hand, as the Carthaginians customarily enslved prisoners of war and the victims of their piracy, two sources of supply which they must have found very fruiful, they were far from being dependent on Africa for slave labour. It is unlikely that they hesitated to enslaved as many Berbers as they required, nor were so brutal a people likely to have drawn the line at doing the same to their own peasantry. The evidence of negro blood, is, however, significant and it seems probable that they imported slaves from the Fezzan. It was a likely source, for the Garamantes cannot have hunted the Troglodyte Ethiopians except to enslave them. The slave trade with the Fezzan may have been important tot he Carthaginians, but there are no grounds for assuming that it was.

The golden trade of the Moors: West African kingdoms in the fourteenth century
By E. W. Bovill, Robin Hallet
pp. 21-22

In the Punic burial grounds, negroid remains were not rare and there were black auxiliaries in the Carthaginian army who were certainly not Nilotics. Furthermore, if we are to believe Diodorus(XX, 57.5), a lieutenant of Agathocles in northern Tuninisa at the close of the fourth century before our era overcame a people who skin was similar to the Ethiopian'. There is much evidence of the presence of 'Ethiopians' on the southern borders of Africa Minor. Throughout the classical period, mention is also made of peoples belonging to intermediate races, the Melano-Getules, or Leuco-Ethiopians in particular in Ptolemy.

General History of Africa: Ancient civilizations of Africa By G. Mokhtar, Unesco. International Scientific Committee for the Drafting of a General History of Africa
p. 427

But to put toppings of the ice cream here is how the Romans depicted the native North Africans at the time.

^^^I don't see no Caucasians.

As for Septimius Severus...Here is where you(and PAGAN) make your mistakes. You think of Berbers as synonymous with Caucasian or just as a race, when it is just a language group and nothing else and Berbers have MANY ethnicity, like the Siwa Berbers(who btw actually live in Northeast Africa where the original Berbers are from).

The early Berbers were described as very brown to black and with woolly hair. I'll even post some sources if you want me to.

Anyways back to Severus...Posting non painted statues of him wont help much.
[img]http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources/images/1556311/[/img]

Severus was a mulatto and all the Romans knew that and Severus. There are many historic records that describe Severus as darker than the average Roman and his wife.

When it comes to Severus, its no Afrocentrics who are claiming this man as Rome's first black Emperor, Anyone who studies him in depth knows this man was seen as "Dark Skinned" despite his Italian Blood.
[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg35/scaled.php?server=35&filename=screenshot20120221at122.png&res=medium[/img]

Snowden (1970) cites an ancient source, the Historia Augusta, showing that Severus was troubled by dark skin, so much so, he wanted a dark skinned African removed from his sight:

"22. On another occasion, when he was returning to his nearest quarters from an inspection of the wall at Luguvallum in Britain, at a time when he had not only proved victorious but had concluded a perpetual peace, just as he was wondering what omen would present itself, an Ethiopian soldier, who was famous among buffoons and always a notable jester, met him with a garland of cypress-boughs. And when Severus in a rage ordered that the man be removed from his sight, troubled as he was by the man's ominous colour and the ominous nature of the garland, the Ethiopian by way of jest cried, it is said, "You have been all things, you have conquered all things, now, O conqueror, be a god."

Severus was like the Obama of Rome. He was Rome's first MIXED emperor and all sources state such.

Anyways I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
Radoillo:

Um...actually there were Australoids in Arabia before the current Caucasians got there. Traces of these earlier population still survive in Yemen. They were black-skinned, with straight/wavy hair. Needless to say, they were genetically unrelated to Negroid Africans. They are genetically closer to some Indian and Sri Lankan peoples , and the Australian aborigines.

oh yes i know what you mean.

I saw a documentary on those people.

some say they are descendants of slaves, some say they are descendants of the Ethiopians who came into Yemen while others talk about your theory.

Either ways, you cannot consider this small Yemeni population to speak for the entire Middle-East.

THe Arabs had to come from somewhere.

and all Qahtanite tribes trace their descent to Yemen.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Malakh: 7:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
Jebusite are Ham's seed, they are called Africans today, i would have love to break it down but Im not wasting my energy on nairalanders lol grin, now my people are lost because they dont have know their identity because scriptures says He will make their remembrance to cease from men,He also said they shall be called bywords and proverbs hence the multitude of ethnic and tribal names

1 Like

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

BIG-TIME BS!

The SKy?

What about Nabatea?

Hey dingleberry. Why don't you read my post CLEARLY. No one said Arabs came out of nowhere...Heck the Arab ethnic were not even around during Ancient Egypt and Arab is not a race how some of you people think it is...Anyways back to the main point.

Read my post again, I said they LOOKED like black people but were not related to them. Here what modern anthropology has to state.

quote:
"Distance analysis and factor analysis,
based on Q-mode correlation
coefficients, were applied to 23
craniofacial measurements in 1,802
recent and prehistoric crania from major
geographical areas of the Old World. The
major findings are as follows: 1)
Australians show closer similarities to
African populations than to Melanesians.
2) Recent Europeans align with East
Asians, and early West Asians resemble
Africans.
3) The Asian population
complex with regional difference
between northern and southern members
is manifest. 4) Clinal variations of
craniofacial features can be detected in
the Afro-European region on the one
hand, and Australasian and East Asian
region on the other hand. 5) The
craniofacial variations of major
geographical groups are not necessarily
consistent with their geographical
distribution pattern. This may be a sign
that the evolutionary divergence in
craniofacial shape among recent
populations of different geographical
areas is of a highly limited degree.
Taking all of these into account, a single
origin for anatomically modern humans is
the most parsimonious interpretation of
the craniofacial variations presented in
this study."

(Hanihara T. Comparison of craniofacial
features of major human groups. Am J
Phys Anthropol. 1996
Mar;99(3):389-412.)
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by macof(m): 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
TerraCotta: Jebusites are to Ijebu as Edomites are to Edo, or Orissa in India is to Orisha in Nigeria. There is no cultural, ethnic or religious relationship beyond the coincidence of terms that sound alike. This is not an unusual situation around the world; the human mouth can only produce so many sounds and some of them are bound to be similar.

Carry on.

Very correct bro
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Show us your DNA evidence showing black people ''not related to Africa''.

My investigations show that the 'early black Asians' you refer to have AFRICAN ANCESTRY:

''Haplogroup C-M130 in particular appears to be one of the Y-DNA clades which dispersed especially early towards the east; its phylogeographic distribution supports a single coastal Out-of-Africa route by way of the Indian subcontinent, which eventually led to the early settlement of modern humans in mainland Southeast Asia''

You d*mb dingleberry...Stop talking about subjects you know nothing about. Haplogroup C-M130 is not repeat not found in Africans. The only thing your sources state is that they are descendants of those OOA migrates...Well so is EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET! Including Europeans who look like this.

Doofus...Eurasian Haplogroup N and M which all Eurasians descend from is descendant of African L3. Why? Because well...Africa is the brith place of modern humans and Haplogroup L3 represents African Eve who migrated out of Africa. All you did was posted stuff we already know.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by RKVINTLTD: 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
Hello Nairalanders This interest me because I am an IJEBU.
MY FAMILY NAME IS OSHOKOYA.
The prominent names among Ijebus take the following forms;
Oshokoya
Osunkoya
Odunaike
Odulaja
Adekoya
Onabanjo
Onafowokan
Onabanro
Osibanjo
Osinbajo
Osikoya
Awonuga
Awosika
Awolowo

Remember in those days Transportation use luxurious buses call Osikoya Transport Service In Lagos, Ijebu & Western Region.

Ijebu omo alare
Ijebu ode ajalura
Omo afidipote mole
Omo alagemo merindilogun

Ijebus migrated from the Benin Kingdom and settled at Ijebu ode, that is where we have Ijebu water side.
Also the Yorubas came from the Benin Kingdom and settled in Ile-ife.
Therefore Ijebu is part and parcel of Ile-ife, The origin of Yorubas.
That was why all the Yoruba race could not resist any Person sent to rule them from Alaafin of Oyo (the Eldest of Oduduwa) all of them came from Ile-ife, and Ooni was made King in Ile-ife since no one among the decendant of Oduduwa was ready to hold the title.

Today, Since Ile-ife is the ancestral home of Yorubas that hold the Biggest Title of the Yorubas, The Ooni is the Most Highest ruller of the Yorubas. The first King of Ijebu-Ode was Crowned on the consent of The Oba of Ile-Ife.

You can now see the relationship, Yoruba came from Ile-Ife through Oduduwa, after Oduduwa died the 14 Children left Ile-Ife to head the extended Yoruba towns as Kings e.g. Alaafin of Oyo, Orangun of Ila-orangun, Shoun of Ogbomoso, Afonja of Ilorin, e.t.c.
Ijebus who migrated from the Benin Kingdom where His eminence King Omonoba Ereduwa, Iku Okpolo kpolo of Benin Kindom reigns came through the Niger Delta water ways and settle at Ijebu water side before extending to Ijebu-Ode, that is leaving the waterside to a plane and prominent town, also those who do not want to come to Ijebu ode decided to settle at different locations every where and that is why they call another one Ijebu Igbo because some Ijebu willing settled at the Farm location and not to come back to Ijebu-Ode again and were given King call The Akarigbo of Ijebu-Igbo. The Ijebu-ode Kingdom is the head of all Kingdom and was Headed by The Awujale of Ijebu-ode Crown by the Alaafin of Oyo of those days.

Ijebu as part of Ile-ife can not have any link with Jebusites in the Bible because Ile-ife or Oduduwa or Ooni, or Alaafin of Oyo do not have anything to do with Jebusite in Bible.

Oba Ereduwa recognized all the Oba of the Yorubas as the decendants of Oduduwa, since he new that they migrated from Benin Kindgom and settled at Ile-ife to form there own race. There is this understanding between Bendel and Yoruba.

In Yoruba Kingdom today, The Oba of Benin Kingdom, The Ooni of Ife and the Oba of Lagos are Three pillars of the Yoruba Kingdom.

That is why there is always cordial relationship with these Three Rulers, Go and make your research. Oba of Lagos always visit Oba of Benin from time to time, The Ooni of Ife too do pay homage to Oba of Benin and vice vasa.

You can see that This Obas knows The History of their ancestors, their origin, their race and Royal interrelationship.

There is know Oba that will reign in Yoruba Land that The Ooni will not know about as well as The Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos.
They know how they do there Search for Oba, through the Ifa Olokun Asorodayo which they belief.

That is why you can see that, there is a mixed up among the Ijebus and Lagos as well as Ijos, Itshekiri, Ondo, Bendel as well as Ilorin, Oyo, Osun, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Yewa, Awori, Republic of Benin outside Nigeria formerly call Dahomey, they speak Original Yoruba fluently.

In all these tribes, you will find one common relation in there thong or speech, when they pronounce certain things, you begin to wander how they are similar to the order even have the same interpretation.

Ijebus are from Ile-Ife in Nigeria and not from any other place call Jebusites. We have some words that are the same but have different meaning, We have some Countries bearing almost similar Names.

Can we say Nigeria is Derived from Niger Republic ? Nigeria is simply ' River Niger Area' or Niger-Area or Nigeria. The wife of Lord Lugard Name Nigeria during British empire.

What of Algeria and We have similar Colours of Green and White, which always cause confusion during Football clashes to know which Jessy to wear.

So, Ijebu remains Ijebu.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
No apologies necessary. grin

The word 'Negro' isn't one I love using. But I think it sometimes becomes necessary when one needs to make a difference between dark/tawny populations and , well, West African forest peoples (like the Ijebus whose origins we are discussing.)

I know North African littoral people didn't live in isolation and ranged in skin and hair colour from very dark to even blond, and I knew about Carthage having a strong 'Negro' (there, I used that word again) presence.

But nicely made points, especially about Septimius.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

HANNIBAL WAS A BERBER!

NOT A NEGRO!

Dude stop talking about Berbers because your clearly know nothing about them or their history.

First off Hannibal was most likely not a Berber, since Carthage was founded by Phoenicians(though they adapted African culture from the Egyptians) who were from the Near East. And like I said there are no historic depictions, remains or records of his looks.

Second off...Again you know nothing about Berbers at all. You think of them as just one group who is Caucasian. I hope you know that Berber is just a language group which originated in East Africa(like the Afro-Asiatic language did).
[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg444/scaled.php?server=444&filename=cartevu8.jpg&res=landing[/img]

Berbers during ancient times were described as Ethiopian, meaning having dark skin like a negro. There were no white looking prior to the 15/16th century. I'll get into sources that describe the early Berbers when I find the sources. Berbers are related to other Africans such the males especially have high frequencies of E-M81 going around 90%.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
barcaboi:
Well spoken;I'm ijebu 1st b4 Yoruba

I see you're one of the Ijebu's who have very strong views about their Ijebu ancestry and I can't blame you for that due to the hate. Some of these people will never outgrow the primordial hate. Heck, some of these goons took the hate from the real world and created threads about it on here. grin

Anyway, if that's how you feel, do your thing, brother. wink
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: Oh god...Theres A LOT of @sses that I'm going to have to kick in this thread and it aint going to be good let me tell you that.

*sigh*

I see that some people have adopted the idea that North Africa has always been Caucasian or Eurasian...

Second off...We DO NOT know what race Hanibal was because there are...
1. No depictions of him.
2. No remains
3. No historical quotes about his depiction.

We have NOTHING on him, but we know that the INDIGENOUS inhabitants Carthage were INDIGENOUS AFRICANS! And the African kingdom of Numimbia succeeded from Carthage.

Second get rid of the term negro...It only means a black and Africans are far too diverse.

How are they not genetically related to Africans? Care to explain?

How many races of people exist on the planet?
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by tpia5: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
I wonder why shymexx is always trying to cause divisions among yoruba.

Anytime he pops up in a yoruba discussion, he makes sure he drops the word "hate" and sprinkles it around liberally.

But check his references to igbos, the only word he uses there is "love" or "affinity", unless he feels attacked by the males.

Very sneaky.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Radoillo: No apologies necessary. grin

The word 'Negro' isn't one I love using. But I think it sometimes becomes necessary when one needs to make a difference between dark/tawny populations and , well, West African forest peoples (like the Ijebus whose origins we are discussing.)

I know North African littoral people didn't live in isolation and ranged in skin and hair colour from very dark to even blond, and I knew about Carthage having a strong 'Negro' (there, I used that word again) presence.

But nicely made points, especially about Septimius.

Sorry I went a little hard, its just that many people(Eurocentrics) try to historically separate North Africa from Sub Africa. Yes North Africa was not isolated, yes Carthage was differently mixed and was found by non Africans. But my point was is that indignous population was African. There are still black natives in North Africa especially in Morocco and Libya, so the term Sub Sahara is moot and also when there was at one time never a Sahara desert. All my knowledge of North Africa is actually from North Africans, especially this person fo North African descent. He says the average Moroccan looks like this.

[img]http://pics.bnn.nl/data/media/db_images/original/102601_e596b1.jpg?439[/img]

^^^A mulatto type looked he said. He also said the white looking blond Moroccans and the Negroid looking ones are a minority. Also you must understand that the bulk of North Africans are descendant of expelled Muslims from Europe, including Europeans, Arabs and Africans(Berbers) and mixed Muslims. That's the result of the modern North African population AFTER the 15/16th century. Which is why you won't find any white looking Berbers prior to the 15/16th century...Most modern North Africans are confined to the coast though.

Also you have to understand that Africans are diverse and are related because(like Europe) there was constant gene flow around the continent.

And yep...All sources state Severus was mixed and known for his dark skin.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
tpia@:
I wonder why shymexx is always trying to cause divisions among yoruba.

Anytime he pops up in a yoruba discussion, he makes sure he drops the word "hate" and sprinkles it around liberally.

But check his references to igbos, the only word he uses there is "love" or "affinity", unless he feels attacked by the males.

Very sneaky.

You're not even Yoruba. You already said you're from Taraba. So why do you always post on every topic about Yoruba's, since it has nothing to do with you?

How am I causing divisions among Yoruba's? Last I checked, I've never created any hate threads about other Yoruba's. However, there are tons of hate threads by some Yoruba people about the Ijebu's. Also, I do get the same animosity sometimes in the real world. And a lot of other Ijebu's definitely do go through the same thing. So what's your point?

Anyway, I don't see any division here. I just said people (who're in the minority) should be allowed to explore the different links to their ancestry since Ijebu history didn't start with Oduduwa like most of the other Yoruba subgroups. The Ijebu's existed before Oduduwa and there's a legend that Oduduwa did visit Obanta, the Awujale of Ijebu at that period.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Sike(m): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ijebu remains Ijebu. No Diff.
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by macof(m): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
scribble: Queen of Sheeba is buried in Ijebu and it is a UNESCO heritage site.

Just FYI

I find it hard to believe it's the same Queen Sheba of the Bible.

Tho Arabs call her bilqis and Ijebu call her their high chief bilikisu

Wat if that's a title?
And when did Ijebu migrate from Sudan?

Isn't Queen Sheba from Ethiopia/Yemen?
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
shymexx:

How are they not genetically related to Africans? Care to explain?

How many races of people exist on the planet?

On a biologically point if view. Race does not exist and science can not define it. To put it in simple words so everyone can understand, different physical features are based off adaption to ones environment. For example Europeans got pale skin because their environment didn't need darker skin. Those black Asians like the Adaman Islanders kept their black features, because their environment needed it, but genetically they are distant from Africans due to being isolated from Africans. What you have to do is get rid of physically features and look at things from an genetic and adaptations level and then you'll see things clearly.

Does race exist? Yes socially...Since we humans are social people. Just check out this thread it may interest you.
https://www.nairaland.com/1527017/color-black-original-african-context
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

On a biologically point if view. Race does not exist and science can not define it. To put it in simple words so everyone can understand, different physical features are based off adaption to ones environment. For example Europeans got pale skin because their environment didn't need darker skin. Those black Asians like the Adaman Islanders kept their black features, because their environment needed it, but genetically they are distant from Africans due to being isolated from Africans. What you have to do is get rid of physically features and look at things from an genetic and adaptations level and then you'll see things clearly.

Does race exist? Yes socially...Since we humans are social people. Just check out this thread it may interest you.
https://www.nairaland.com/1527017/color-black-original-african-context

That's just pure nonsense. That's like saying the Germanic and Slavic people aren't related. If it were adaption, then the eskimo's should be the whitest people in the world by now.

The whole middle east was part of Africa and all the original inhabitants have the same ancestry with black Africans. It has nothing to do with Asia.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by lxgx1: 7:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
MAN Joblessness is a disease
Re: Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
shymexx:

That's just pure nonsense. That's like saying the Germanic and Slavic people aren't related. If it were adaption, then the eskimo's should be the whitest people in the world by now.

The whole middle east was part of Africa and all the original inhabitants have the same ancestry with black Africans. It has nothing to do with Asia.

Hmmmm....It seems you forgot to mention another word I said. Genetically.

Europeans are obviously related to each other due to constant gene flow. Heck you even have news like this!
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2013/05/09/2003561851

Also Europe is not really a continent but an extension of Asia. Hence Eurasia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Photos From Princess Adesola's 45th Birthday Celebration / Emir Sanusi Celebrates His Daughter, Maryam On Her Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.