Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? (44160 Views)

What Can I Use To Remove Or Reduce The Scar On My Face?(photo) / How Can I Detect My Blood Level? / Attention Guys! The Poisonus/bleaching Content In La Casera Drink... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2013
Few days ago i visited a friendly medical attendant to carry out a test concerning sugar content in my blood 'cause diabetes is now killing peeps more than AIDS, when the result came out, it shows that i have a high sugar content in my blood. Apart from reducing the way i consume carbohydrate and sugar, how can i reduce the sugar content in my blood? Thank you.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by davuvid(m): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2013
Exercise.......

Still thinking of others

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by anitaaliu: 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
tony ayo: Few days ago i visited a friendly medical attendant to carry out a test concerning sugar content in my blood 'cause diabetes is now killing peeps more than AIDS, when the result came out, it shows that i have a high sugar content in my blood. Apart from reducing the way i consume carbohydrate and sugar, how can i reduce the sugar content in my blood? Thank you.

You shld avoid sugar completely & use stevia or splendar, these are sweetners dt dnt increase ur glycemic index. Exercise is gud too but if you can't do dt, get supplements dt reduce blood sugar like cinnamon, chromium, apple cider vinegar, etc

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 21, 2013
anitaaliu:

You shld avoid sugar completely & use stevia or splendar, these are sweetners dt dnt increase ur glycemic index. Exercise is gud too but if you can't do dt, get supplements dt reduce blood sugar like cinnamon, chromium, apple cider vinegar, etc
Thanks a million dearie.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by figur: 6:24am On Nov 22, 2013
Bitter leaf juice does it,just drink as much as you can and avoid sugar.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by toaspromo(m): 4:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
EAT PLENTY OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES REDUCE SUGAR AND CARBONHYDRATE INTAKES
U CAN ALSO GO HERBAL
CALL ME
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by emilyone(f): 4:38pm On Nov 22, 2013
figur: Bitter leaf juice does it,just drink as much as you can and avoid sugar.
seriously??

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Lilimax(f): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
I am not a medical doctor but these will help:
Eat the Right Foods
Drink more water.
Excercise regularly?

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by IykeChukz(m): 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Am just silent over this since there are numerous Doctors here. Just feel like booking space.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by freestuffsonnet(m): 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
over to doctors in the house. or you use google
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by bisi16(m): 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2013

Very true, works like magic. And 20 to 30mins exercise on d daily..
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by eluquenson(m): 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
Reduce carbohydrate intake, increase fiber food intake, its a gradual process though

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Sammiejokes(m): 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
take fresh aloe vera fluid regularly.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by bluehorizo(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
Eat moringa. It does the magic. I am a living witness!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by polokor60(m): 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
[quote author=emilyone]
seriously??

Yes.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
when it comes to diabetes management, blood sugar control is often the central theme. After all, keeping your blood sugar level within your target range can help you live a long and healthy life. But do you know what makes your blood sugar level rise and fall? The list is sometimes surprising.
Food
Healthy eating is a cornerstone of any diabetes management plan. But it's not just what you eat that affects your bloodsugar level. How much you eat and when you eat matters, too.
What to do:
Keep to a schedule. Your blood sugar level is highest an hour or two after you eat, and then begins to fall. But this predictable pattern can work to your advantage. You can help lessen the amount of change in your blood sugar levels if you eat at the same time every day, eat several small meals a day or eat healthy snacks at regular times between meals.
Make every meal well-balanced. As much as possible, plan for every meal to have the right mix of starches, fruits and vegetables, proteins, and fats. It's especially important to eat about the same amount of carbohydrates at each meal and snack because they have a big effect on blood sugar levels. Talk to your doctor, nurse or dietitian about the best food choices and appropriate balance.
Eat the right amount of foods. Learn what portion size is appropriate for each type of food. Simplify your meal planning by writing down portions for the foods you eat often. Use measuring cups or a scale to ensure proper portion size.
Coordinate your meals and medication. Too little food in comparison to your diabetes medications — especially insulin — may result in dangerously low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Too much food may cause your blood sugar level to climb too high (hyperglycemia). Talk to your diabetes health care team about how to best coordinate meal and medication schedules.

Exercise

Physical activity is another important part of your diabetes management plan. When you exercise, your muscles use sugar (glucose) for energy. Regular physical activity also improves your body's response to insulin. These factors work together to lower your blood sugar level. The more strenuous your workout, the longer the effect lasts. But even light activities — such as housework, gardening or being on your feet for extended periods — can lower your blood sugar level.

What to do:

Talk to your doctor about an exercise plan. Ask your doctor about what type of exercise is appropriate for you. If you've been inactive for a long time, your doctor may want to check the condition of your heart and feet before advising you. He or she can recommend the right balance of aerobic and muscle-strengthening exercise.
Keep an exercise schedule. Talk to your doctor about the best time of day for you to exercise so that your workout routine is coordinated with your meal and medication schedules.
Know your numbers. Talk to your doctor about what blood sugar levels are appropriate for you before you begin exercise.
Check your blood sugar level. Check your blood sugar level before, during and after exercise, especially if you take insulin or medications that lower blood sugar. Be aware of warning signs of low blood sugar, such as feeling shaky, weak, confused, lightheaded, irritable, anxious, tired or hungry.
Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water while exercising because dehydration can affect blood sugar levels.
Be prepared. Always have a small snack or glucose pill with you during exercise in case your blood sugar drops too low. Wear a medical identification bracelet when you're exercising.
Adjust your diabetes treatment plan as needed. If you take insulin, you may need to adjust your insulin dose before exercising or wait a few hours to exercise after injecting insulin. Your doctor can advise you on appropriate changes in your medication. You may need to adjust treatment if you've increased your exercise routine.

Medication

Insulin and other diabetes medications are designed to lower your blood sugar level when diet and exercise alone aren't sufficient for managing diabetes. But the effectiveness of these medications depends on the timing and size of the dose. And any medications you take for conditions other than diabetes can affect your blood sugar level, too.

7 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by canalily(m): 5:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
undecided wah abt alomo bitter, yoyo bitter, ginger, garlic nd bitter leaf? Unripe plantain, wal nut, etc. Buh remember the effects of all these bitter things to your B.P nd sperm cells. angry ar u astonished?

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by itsabdul(m): 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
Reducing your blood sugar level is quite easy as long as you are willing to adopt a new diet plan. The foods you eat determine the sugar content in your blood.
There are certain foods that reduce blood sugar level, they include:
Beans, cinnamon, sweet potato, oats, vegetables, and nuts. I will recommend you peanuts and walnuts, try to eat unsalted ones and always eat in moderation. Check peanut and walnut
http://foodsanddiseases.com/peanut-nourishes-and-fortifies-the-skinand-also-treats-cardiac-conditions/
http://foodsanddiseases.com/walnut-health-benefits-medicinal-uses-and-properties/
http://foodsanddiseases.com/oats-properties-health-benefits-medicinal-uses/

Moreover, you should try to always engage yourself in exercise regularly. Exercise really helps in reducing your blood sugar level as it helps burn down excess glucose in your blood. My dad was being troubled with diabetes about 5years ago, but after maintaining a proper diet and engaged himself in exercise (i do drop him at the stadium everyday for jogging, and mind you, he's about 56years), his blood sugar has never risen again.

Talking about diabetes in general, the following diet plan will help.

Increase the intake of : vegetables, legumes, fruits, onions, avocado, celery, nuts, whole grains, artichoke, mushroom, potato, wheat germ.

Reduce / eliminate the intake of: sugar, shellfish, meat, salt, milk, refined baked goods, saturated fat, chocolate, alcoholic beverages, soda drinks, etc
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by itsabdul(m): 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
Diet is the most important factor in reducing your blood sugar level, if you eat whatever you like no matter how you exercise, your sugar level will rise, so know what to eat.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by viexcey(f): 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
Drink lemon water first thing in the morning, exercise regularly, replace any drink with water, avoid junks,and rest always.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Harbiurlah(f): 5:14pm On Nov 22, 2013
Avoid sugar completely n take pure honey instead.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by omicron(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
tony ayo: Few days ago i visited a friendly medical attendant to carry out a test concerning sugar content in my blood 'cause diabetes is now killing peeps more than AIDS, when the result came out, it shows that i have a high sugar content in my blood. Apart from reducing the way i consume carbohydrate and sugar, how can i reduce the sugar content in my blood? Thank you.
You have not provided enough history for a professional to be able to help you.

Are you diabetic?

What was your blood sugar level when it was measured?

If by your blood sugar being high you mean you were diagnosed diabtic, then best advice is to see your doctor and keep up with check ups.

Generally though, exercise, weight reduction and healthy dieting will help your body utilise its sugars better.

Drinking bitter leaf water and alomo bitters, etc has not been shown to improve glycaemic control, and can potentially damage your kidneys.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
@OP.. just like me.. discovered I got too much sugar in my blood (Type2 diabetes) and i remember all the warnings of sweet stuff and sugar growing up..

I have a new regime of exercise..
Drink lots of water
Part Veggie diet
Insulin shots and Hope
Lose weight (which already happens automatically when you have type 2d)

So stick with the advice.. see a doctor to get the best advice
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by everyday: 5:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice post
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by lekkie073(m): 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
smoking cannabis reduces d blood sugar level......
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
A low carbohydrate diet is now the evidence-based recommendation for controlling blood sugar levels. Concentrate on eating proteins, fruit/veg and 'healthy' fats.

Learn about the Glycaemic Index of foods. Stay away from foods with a high GI. This is of most importance for diabetics! smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Dannylux: 5:41pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is very helpful!!
At least, I know what to minimize its intake for now.
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by GentleMimi: 5:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
Get original honey to take along wif ur beverage every morning.
Avoid foods like yam,garri,fufu.Instead,take wheat or semolina.
Take more of fish and chicken....avoid red meat.
Avoid late and heavy night meals (at most 8pm)
make sure u do not skip breakfast.....have ur breakfast b4 8am,if possible,with a cup of green tea and honey.Breakfast must be balanced,rich and moderate.
Finally,eat a lot of fruits during the day.Garden eggs and walnuts do a beautiful work in blood sugar reduction.Avoid sedentry work,try exercises.
Goodluck!

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by 617aircav: 5:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
As a diabetic I will advise you the following

1. Loose weight
2. Do lots of cardio, running, football etc
3. Avoid carbs like rice, bread, pasta etc
4. Eat smaller portions at a time, you can eat more times a day to compensate
5. Eat peanuts as it helps lower blood sugar
6. Avoid meat, eat boiled chicken instead
7. stop drinking

When I was diagnosed my A1C test showed my blood sugar level to be 11 (below 6 is normal). In 9 months i took it down to a 5. I dont use medication.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
Drink ginger and garlic juice regularly
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Very simple! Drink the water from bitter leaf. 1st wash o
Re: What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? by funtanherb(m): 6:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
the dude who recommended bitter leave qualify as an herbalist however add bitter guord

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Movement Of Objects All Over My Body / 400level Student Commits Suicide Over Girlfriend, Misery while parent are rich / How To Do A Home Pregnancy Test All By Your Self Before Your Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.