Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,900 members, 7,806,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? (5420 Views)

Three Arguments For God's Existence / Theists And Atheists What Do U Think Of Pascal's Wager. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2013
I am an atheist, I dont believe in God because there is no proof and I don't care if you believe in Him.

There is a common perception that there must be “something more” to atheism than simply disbelief in gods because atheists so often debate theists. What’s the point of debating if not to convert someone to some other philosophy or religion? It is, then, fair to ask why atheists get involved in such debates and what they hope to achieve. Does this show that atheism is some sort of philosophy or even a religion?

Let's discuss please!!!
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by onetrack(m): 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
Many atheists have no desire to discuss or debate with theists. Those are the ones you'll never see on the religion section.

However, some atheists are former believers and have some desire to justify their change of positions, even of just to satisfy themselves.

And some atheists, seeing logic and reason as the center of belief, enjoy trying to reason with others just because they enjoy doing so (a hobby, you might say)

And some atheists want to sow the seeds of doubt in the minds of theists so that they will be more tolerant of other religious beliefs and non-beliefs. Like trying to head off extremism before it starts.

And some atheists are actively trying to convert others, like missionaries.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
onetrack: Many atheists have no desire to discuss or debate with theists. Those are the ones you'll never see on the religion section.

However, some atheists are former believers and have some desire to justify their change of positions, even of just to satisfy themselves.

And some atheists, seeing logic and reason as the center of belief, enjoy trying to reason with others just because they enjoy doing so (a hobby, you might say)

And some atheists want to sow the seeds of doubt in the minds of theists so that they will be more tolerant of other religious beliefs and non-beliefs. Like trying to head off extremism before it starts.

Hahaha the missionary part got me cracking
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Redoil: 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
GOD is calling them
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
Redoil: GOD is calling them

You want to start a God-debate abi? God forbid!!! He doesn't exist grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by MonsieurCoder: 9:15pm On Nov 21, 2013
onetrack: Many atheists have no desire to discuss or debate with theists. Those are the ones you'll never see on the religion section.

Splendid post, And believe me, it is working, i can't count how many atheist i have met that got converted through Nairaland, A whole lot of them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

Splendid post, And believe me, it is working, i can't count how many atheist i have met that got converted through Nairaland, A whole lot of them.

Borrowing my christian brethren's parlance:you are proud to be at war with religion... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 9:37pm On Nov 21, 2013
Some went abroad to the UK and such and got "enlightened" and now make it their mission to convert their "backward" brothers. After all, Africa won't progress until we espouse western thoughts and ideals.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by plaetton: 9:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
GeneralShepherd: I am an atheist, I dont believe in God because there is no proof and I don't care if you believe in Him.

There is a common perception that there must be “something more” to atheism than simply disbelief in gods because atheists so often debate theists. What’s the point of debating if not to convert someone to some other philosophy or religion? It is, then, fair to ask why atheists get involved in such debates and what they hope to achieve. Does this show that atheism is some sort of philosophy or even a religion?

Let's discuss please!!!

Bros,
I do a lot of introspection, and ask myself that same question everyday.
Am I a bigot, an opinionated hater?

When abroad, I lived with, schooled with, worked and befriended people from every corner of the Earth, with different histories, different cultures and different religions.
At no time, did the beliefs or religions of the people I came into contact with ever become a contentious issue. It never ever mattered and was hardly ever discussed. Religion was only sparingly discussed when my ever curious self would ask people questions about their religion for the purpose of learning.

In an ideal society, the religion of your friend or neighbor should never be a problem or concern to you.

However, when I cam back to Nigeria, I was shell-shocked at the level of havoc religion was causing in Nigeria.
I felt( and I am not kidding) as if there had been some kind of mass surgery where critical portions of the brain had been removed, mass lobotomy of sorts.
Even my grandparents and great grand parents did not match the level of superstition that had engulfed the whole land.

At that time, big churches had taken over closed factories and warehouses, and everyone was shouting Halleluyah!.
As someone who had very solid understanding of the principles of economics, I thought everyone, including the leadership , had gone crazy. Where will the prosperity being preached come from?

I said to myself and everyone else cared to listen that Nigeria was in deep deep trouble.
With minds actively involved with the "New magical thinking" in the form of pentecostal revival, the future looked terribly bleak .
I was in my late twenties and this was about 15 years ago.

So, bros, I have predicted, cried and mourned my beloved country as I have sat and watched the wide scale destruction of our national IQ, the widescale descent of reason, the dearth of intelligence and the epidemic of s.t.u.p.idity turn a once promising people into unthinking zombies.

How can anyone ignore religion in Nigeria, especially when a new breed of scoundrels and parasites advertise our gross national lunacy on television every single hour?

I truly wish I can ignore my neighbors turning their houses from one night fellowships to daily fellowships, and finally into full blown churches?
How can I ignore every shade of clowns walking into my office on a busy weekday to preach the word of a god that just conveniently happens to be invisible?

How can I ignore religion while when people meet me, instead asking sensible things about me, they first ask "which Church do you belong to?" .
I beg your pardon sir?
I don't belong, I am a free man.

How can I ignore the irrationality of religion religion when business associates insist on prayer before a business deal is consumated?

Sometimes it takes a trip abroad just to assure me that I am not the insane one.

Do you want to talk about Boko-Haram and their holy blood lusts?

Anyone who is not religious cannot simply look aside and let things be.

I often ask myself whether I am fighting people because of their religious beliefs, or because of the irrationality that they bring to bear on everyone who interacts with them.

I, and I can speak for most Nl atheists fight the irrationality and what it portends for the future if left unchallenged.

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:45pm On Nov 21, 2013
plaetton:

Bros,

When abroad, I lived with, schooled with, worked and befriended people from every corner of the Earth, with different histories, different cultures and different religions.
At no time, did the beliefs or religions of the people I came into contact with ever become a contentious issue. It never ever mattered and was hardly ever discussed. Religion was only sparingly discussed when my ever curious self would ask people questions about their religion for the purpose of learning.

In an ideal society, the religion of your friend or neighbor should never a problem or concern to you.

However, when I cam back to Nigeria, I was shell-shocked at the level of havoc religion was causing in Nigeria.
I felt( and I am not kidding) as if there had been some kind of mass surgery where portion of the brain had been removed.
Even my grandparents and great grand parents did not match the level of superstition that had engulfed the whole land.

At that time, big churches had taken over closed factories and warehouses, and everyone was shouting Halleluyah!.
As someone who had very solid understanding of economics, I thought everyone, including the leadership , had gone crazy. Where will the prosperity being preached come from?

I said to myself and everyone else cared to listen that Nigeria was in deep deep trouble.
With minds actively involved with the "New magical thinking" in the form of pentecostal revival, the future looked terribly bleak .

So, bros, I have predicted, cried and mourned my beloved country as I have sat and watched the wide scale destruction of our national IQ, the widescale descent of reason, the dearth of intelligence and the epidemic of s.t.u.p.idity turns a once promising people into unthinking zombies.

How can anyone ignore religion in Nigeria, especially when a new breed of scoundrels and parasites advertise our gross national lunacy on television every single hour?

I truly wish I can ignore my neighbors turning their houses from one night fellowships to daily fellowships, and finally into full blown churches?
How can I ignore every shade of clowns walking into my office on a busy weekday to preach the word of a god that just conveniently happens to be invisible?

How can I ignore religion while when people meet me, instead asking sensible things about me, they first ask "which Church do you belong to?" .
I beg your pardon sir?

How can I ignore the irrationality of religion religion when business associates insist on prayer before a business deal is consumated?

Sometimes it takes a trip abroad just to assure me that I am not the insane one.

I often ask myself whether I am fighting people because of their religious beliefs, or because of the irrationality that they bring to bear on everyone who interacts with them.

I, and I can speak for most Nl atheists fight the irrationality and what it portends for the future if left unchallenged.

I get your points just like I am reasoning with my mum to let me go to the UK to get an MSC and she is telling to instead to call on Yahweh to help me get a job. I did that one year by the wayy without results. Nigeria is heading nowhere if we continue on this religious lunacy
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I get your points just like I am reasoning with my mum to let me go to the UK to get an MSC and she is telling to instead to call on Yahweh to help me get a job. I did that one year by the wayy without results. Nigeria is heading nowhere if we continue on this religious lunacy

Oh wow. I actually find myself agreeing with atheists. I thought you guys were pure evil. Just joking. The points you and plaetton have raised are very valid. But allow me to say that religion is not the issue. In Nigeria, many have turned it into a business and what many "men of God" teach is a total dependency to the extreme that is actually unscriptural.

Religion is not the issue. But when you combine it with a people whose situation is so desperate and who cannot see a way out of the difficulty of their lives, then you end up with a nation of people without motive to build themselves and therefore translate their hope in God to mean that God will descend from heaven to fix the country's ills. God has given us brains for that purpose. We are the ones that must build the society that we want.

But God has blessed Nigeria in resources and in intellect. My people are some of the most brilliant in the world.

God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by plaetton: 10:10pm On Nov 21, 2013
NativeBoy:

Oh wow. I actually find myself agreeing with atheists. I thought you guys were pure evil. Just joking. The points you and plaetton have raised are very valid. But allow me to say that religion is not the issue. In Nigeria, many have turned it into a business and what many "men of God" teach is a total dependency to the extreme that is actually unscriptural.

Religion is not the issue. But when you combine it with a people whose situation is so desperate and who cannot see a way out of the difficulty of their lives, then you end up with a nation of people without motive to build themselves and therefore translate their hope in God to mean that God will descend from heaven to fix the country's ills. God has given us brains for that purpose. We are the ones that must build the society that we want.

But God has blessed Nigeria in resources and in intellect. My people are some of the most brilliant in the world.

God Bless Nigeria.

HHHmmm.
For a religious apologist you dissappoint me.
You are actually smart. lol cheesy

I agree 75% with everything you have said. ( The ubiquity of religion cannot, however, be ignored in the context of our many national ills)
God/evolution has endowed us with a brain and so we have an obligation to use it to build our world.

Therefore, man is the supreme master of his destiny, for good or for bad.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by UyiIredia(m): 11:33pm On Nov 21, 2013
As Russell Glazer of The Atheist Experience says 'to get you to think.' Outside the circle of religious thought you are immersed in. In fact, you don't need atheists in particular, read some famed philosophers said to be Christians eg Kant and Kierkegaard. Many of them showed doubts on certain aspects of religion. And rightly so, demand evidence your faith the way you would another, and you may find your faith is not as special as you'd like to think.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:54am On Nov 22, 2013
Simple, religion is bad for humanity.

By undermining and weakening people's faith; we are reducing the influence of religion on mankind and making the world a better place, one deconversion at a time.

We don't even need to deconvert people. Just making the public more sceptical of religion and the charlatans that promote it goes a long way.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by MrTroll(m): 2:28am On Nov 22, 2013
Plaetton don end the thread grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:11am On Nov 22, 2013
NativeBoy:

God Bless Nigeria.

I have just one quote to help summarise your post; the hands that help are better than the lips that pray-Ingersol

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 5:20am On Nov 22, 2013
plaetton:

HHHmmm.
For a religious apologist you dissappoint me.
You are actually smart. lol cheesy

I agree 75% with everything you have said. ( The ubiquity of religion cannot, however, be ignored in the context of our many national ills)
God/evolution has endowed us with a brain and so we have an obligation to use it to build our world.

Therefore, man is the supreme master of his destiny, for good or for bad.

And This is where I diverge from you. This is a scary proposition. When man is accountable to no one, what you will find is utter destruction.

You might think religion is evil. I pray you do not see a world where man makes himself a god. What you find is death. One needs to look at the regime of Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. And more so than all others, we Africans will pay the deepest price.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 5:24am On Nov 22, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I have just one quote to help summarise your post; the hands that help are better than the lips that pray-Ingersol

I do not believe its either-or. It's both. It is the principle of faith and works the bible teaches. One without the other is death. Unfortunately many of the business men masquerading as pastors in Nigeria don't teach that. Either because they don't know or because it fills their pockets, I cannot say. Both faith and works are needed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 5:31am On Nov 22, 2013
Evil Brain: Simple, religion is bad for humanity.

By undermining and weakening people's faith; we are reducing the influence of religion on mankind and making the world a better place, one deconversion at a time.

We don't even need to deconvert people. Just making the public more sceptical of religion and the charlatans that promote it goes a long way.

I will take the point on this thread that believers should examine their faiths. I would ask you to do the same with your atheistic position. I advice you to read Frederick Nietzsche's "The Parable of the Madman."

Nietzsche saw clearly the world that would result when God is dead.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 22, 2013
NativeBoy:

I do not believe its either-or. It's both. It is the principle of faith and works the bible teaches. One without the other is death. Unfortunately many of the business men masquerading as pastors in Nigeria don't teach that. Either because they don't know or because it fills their pockets, I cannot say. Both faith and works are needed.
Sorry, your BIble says faith, without works, is dead. Not the other way round. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:27am On Nov 22, 2013
aManFromMars:
Sorry, your BIble says faith, without works, is dead. Not the other way round. smiley

I thought he meant the same thing
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Ajibam: 10:18am On Nov 22, 2013
they are bored and lonely without theist.. they cant survive alone.. just like tapeworm and human being,
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:38am On Nov 22, 2013
Ajibam: they are bored and lonely without theist.. they cant survive alone.. just like tapeworm and human being,

If only they will leave little innocent children alone, don't knock at my door to preach their dead jew, then I won't bother with them. But like cancer, they need to spread.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Ajibam: 10:44am On Nov 22, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

If only they will leave little innocent children alone, don't knock at my door to preach their dead jew, then I won't bother with them. But like cancer, they need to spread.

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ajibam: they are bored and lonely without theist.. they cant survive alone.. just like tapeworm and human being,

Is that so?
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Emusan(m): 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
GeneralShepherd: I am an atheist, I dont believe in God because there is no proof and I don't care if you believe in Him.

Let's discuss please!!!

What a million question....
Atheist have been helping Jesus to separate the tears from the wheat (those who didn't know their stand in Christianity) and helping those who are weak to be strong.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:36pm On Nov 22, 2013
Emusan:

What a million question....
Atheist have been helping Jesus to separate the tears from the wheat (those who didn't know their stand in Christianity) and helping those who are weak to be strong.

Are you familiar with the 'No true scotsman fallacy'?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by NativeBoy: 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
aManFromMars:

You are correct sir. Yet without faith and only works, man cannot enter into God's rest. I suppose though that only matters if you believe in God.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
From my understanding of this whole atheism stuff, Your environment has a role to play in your level of atheism. I believe that many non-nigerian atheists living abroad especially in highly secular nations do not see the need for these debates i.e atheists with experiences in secular nations mostly feel the need.
Its the contrasting experience that is a big driving force to many of these debates.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by samsard(m): 12:20am On Dec 17, 2013
Hahaha, personally I debate cause I see lunacy in the way people practice Religion here in Nigeria; plus, they are trying to convert me and I can't fold my hands and watch myself go back into that backward cycle again. No, so I evangelise in a free-thinkers way.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by scarred9jan(m): 9:18am On Dec 21, 2013
plaetton:

Bros,

In an ideal society, the religion of your friend or neighbor should never be a problem or concern to you.

I felt( and I am not kidding) as if there had been some kind of mass surgery where critical portions of the brain had been removed, mass lobotomy of sorts.

As someone who had very solid understanding of the principles of economics, I thought everyone, including the leadership , had gone crazy. Where will the prosperity being preached come from?

So, bros, I have predicted, cried and mourned my beloved country as I have sat and watched the wide scale destruction of our national IQ, the widescale descent of reason, the dearth of intelligence and the epidemic of s.t.u.p.idity turn a once promising people into unthinking zombies.

I beg your pardon sir?

Word, bro, word.. Am exactly on the same boat with you.. The irrationality (coined) and havoc religion is causing in these climes is mindblowing.
Re: Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
scarred9jan:

Word, bro, word.. Am exactly on the same boat with you.. The irrationality (coined) and havoc religion is causing in these climes is mindblowing.

But on the other we can't deny the benefits! With the level of illiteracy and poverty in Nigeria atheism will cos panic attacks for a lot of people

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

As A Christian Do You Still Do Quality Quiet Time? / Today Sermon In Your Church And The Lessons You Learnt From It / Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.