Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital (17711 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan At US Presidential Precinct - Photos / PDP's First Executive Committee Meeting After Losing The 2015 Elections (Photos) / President Jonathan At RCCG Camp Today Meets APC VP Prof Osbanjo(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LMAyedun(m): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Shortly after he was discharged from a London hospital President Goodluck Jonathan presided at the 15th meeting of the Honorary International Investors Council (HIIC) In London today.

Below is the president’s full speech at the meeting:

It is with great pleasure that I welcome our distinguished Council Members to the 15th meeting of the Honorary International Investor Council (HIIC) in London, and in particular, His Excellency Mohammed Al Shaibani, the new member who is here with us for the first time. His Excellency Al Shaibani is the Director General of the Ruler’s Court, Government of Dubai, and the CEO and Executive Director of the Investment Corporation of Dubai.

We are glad to have him join us, and look forward to his contributions and insights at Council.Dear Council Members, as we approach the end of 2013, it is only ideal that I begin this address first by thanking you all for your continued commitment to Nigeria.

Our country is indeed honored to have friends and partners like you, with whom we can openly share ideas, and shape our agenda. With every HIIC meeting I attend, I am always encouraged to see the quality of the debate, the frankness of the conversation, and the big things Nigeria can achieve. I am also sure you likewise are inspired by the vast potential and opportunities within our great country. Indeed at the HIIC, I can sincerely say that we are all in very good company.

The investment of your time and effort in driving the HIIC is recognized, and on behalf of the Nigerian people, I say thank you.This 15th meeting builds on the last conversation we had in Abuja and begins to address the fundamental issues constraining competitiveness and investment in Nigeria. Competitiveness ultimately drives profitability, which is what investors are seeking worldwide.

To be competitive, we must address long standing issues, and introduce bold and courageous reforms, regardless of short term political pressures. This is why my government has remained steadfast in making Nigeria the preferred location for investors to do business, because it is our only pathway to create jobs, generate wealth, and guarantee our security.

In building a truly competitive environment for business, we are addressing the fundamental issues such as internal security and power supply head-on. For the first time in Nigeria’s 53 year history, we have successfully privatized the electric power industry. We are bringing capital, technology, and operational excellence into the sector. As a result, 11 distribution companies, and four (4) generation companies have been privatized, realising over US$3 billion for Government.  For Council’s information the assets were finally handed over on 1st November, 2013. I am delighted to inform you that investors are responding positively to the opportunities in the sector and we expect to see significant investments in the sector and across the value chain going forward. Ladies and Gentlemen, resolving the power sector alone, completely changes the paradigm on doing business in Nigeria, and we are satisfied with the progress made.Equally, although challenges remain, we are investing in the requisite security infrastructure and intelligence network that will enable us deal more effectively with the new threats we face which can and do hamper investor confidence in our economy. In ensuring that the environment is suitable for investment, we will also continue to intensify the fight against corruption.

We are indeed happy that the private sector has begun complementing our strong desire to tackle all forms of rent seeking tendencies. The “Clean Business Nigeria Today” initiative coming from the meetings of the Council is a very good example. 

I urge the Council Members and key functionaries of Government to meaningfully participate in the discussions towards our desire to transform the Nigerian economy to one of the world’s largest economies by the year 2020.

I also use this opportunity to inform Council that Nigeria will be hosting the World Economic Forum on Africa, between the 7th and 9th of May 2014. Our hosting this event is yet again a strong sign of Nigeria’s central economic and political role on the continent.

The forthcoming World Economic Forum will be used to shape matters of inclusive growth on the continent, and I invite all members of Council to join us in Abuja in May 2014. Dear Council members, in the year 2013, I can sincerely say that Nigeria has attained significant momentum on the drive to attract new investors into the country, and also to encourage existing investors within the country to expand. In 2014, we must not lose this momentum, but rather broaden our interventions to address other difficult issues like the high cost of financing in the country, and the dearth of adequate skills.

The HIIC’s core mandate of providing advice to attract investments into the country, and making Nigeria more competitive in the global economy is therefore as critical today, as it was almost 10 years ago when it was initially formed. 

Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, I thank you once again for your contributions to the growth and development of our great nation, and I very much look forward to sharing ideas with you all during this event.

http://saharareporters.com/gallery/photonews-president-jonathan-investor’s-council-meeting-after-discharge-london-hospital

http://www.ynaija.com/jonathan-recovers-from-illness-in-london-speaks-at-the-hiic-meeting-see-photos-full-speech/?

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by iterator25: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
The ogogoro has been successfully flushed

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LMAyedun(m): 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
More...

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by yunglykmine(m): 12:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
ThankGod for you Mr. President.

20 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
But why is the fisher man always purging?
Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Ngwakwe: 1:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
I think say a supposed credible media site was accusing Ogogoro of sabotaging Mr Presido's London mission?

You mean the Ogogoro was actually adulterated, no hangover?

Naa waaoooo.
Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LMAyedun(m): 1:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
He looks Healthy and I must confess.. Great speech, Mr president.

11 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by theoctopus: 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: I think say a supposed credible media site was accusing Ogogoro of sabotaging Mr Presido's London mission?

You mean the Ogogoro was actually adulterated, no hangover?

Naa waaoooo.

Is it wrong for Sahara Reporters to keep churning out lies after lies just to try and discredit the president. That is not journalism. Sahara reporters is an anti-Nigeria news media. In the long run, it isnt GEJ they are messing up. It is Nigeria and Nigerians. When you travel tomorrow and you are treated like a criminal, remember it is because the likes of Sahara Reporters paint you and your generation in bad light. The opposition and their paid media are doing almost irreparable damage to Nigeria's Image.

35 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LordVarys: 1:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
I thought SR said he was suffering from hangover..I.diots, they also said Uduaghan couldn't enter the UK yet I can see him clearly in one of the pictures,their hate has blinded their sense of reasoning,only f,ools would believe the gibberish that discredited wannabe gossip site spews

22 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by yunglykmine(m): 2:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
Lord Varys: I thought SR said he was suffering from hangover..I.diots, they also said Uduaghan couldn't enter the UK yet I can see him clearly in one of the pictures,their hate has blinded their sense of reasoning,only f,ools would believe the gibberish that discredited wannabe gossip site spews
Saharareporters - African Wikileaks. LOL!!!
Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by ballabriggs: 2:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
Another empty junket in the name of searching for investors. MNCs are not daft. They have a risk profile which they seek to match with host country risk. Nigeria remains a high risk country that does not match the profile of most of these MNCs.

Granted you may see one or two with less than significant impact on growth. However, what we know is that MNCs have a 'herding' behaviour such that they move en masse to host countries as can be seen in the experience of South East Asia.

Solution is genuine reforms and not these empty trips in the name of searching for investors.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by agbameta: 2:08pm On Nov 22, 2013

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1429001_london_jpge3ffad0ecf8313440f121b34089b5e11

Fashola with the same people weeks ago and it was a fine and victorious affair instead of the ogogoro drunkard disgracing Nigeria...

lmao...

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Lilimax(f): 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Good to know smiley
Thank God GEJ is alive and okay.

Only If men were God....?
Those wishing him death Ntoo sad!!

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by ortodox: 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thank God u r ok now.kiss kiss
LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT, LONG LIVE NIGERIA!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by awodman: 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2013

Dressed in a black stripped traditional South-South attire
and bowler hat to match, president Jonathan did not
display any sign of weakness
as he shook hands with
members of the council and he Coordinator, Baroness
Lynda Chalker before he took his seat after the national
anthem.
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/jonathan-says-strong-makes-surprise-appearance-london-conference/

Sahara reporters and others can go to hell with their lies..

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by MomohLawal: 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thank God my president is sound and healthy. May God continue to protect u. God will put your enemy to shame ooooo plus the G7.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by AdviserGeneral: 2:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
I thought Sahara Reporters said that Delta State Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan was in Poland, that he was scared of entering the UK for fear of being pulled aside for interogation. Am just wondering what these folks are upto, using journalism as their blanket. JUNK!

5 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by homesteady(m): 2:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
agbameta:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1429001_london_jpge3ffad0ecf8313440f121b34089b5e11

Fashola with the same people weeks ago and it was a fine and victorious affair instead of the ogogoro drunkard disgracing Nigeria...

lmao...
So what's your point? undecided

24 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LordVarys: 2:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
ballabriggs: Another empty junket in the name of searching for investors. MNCs are not daft. They have a risk profile which they seek to match with host country risk. Nigeria remains a high risk country that does not match the profile of most of these MNCs.

Granted you may see one or two with less than significant impact on growth. However, what we know is that MNCs have a 'herding' behaviour such that they move en masse to host countries as can be seen in the experience of South East Asia.

Solution is genuine reforms and not these empty trips in the name of searching for investors.
You obviously are misinformed, nigeria had the highest FDI inflow in sub- saharan africa in the last year ahead of SA , with the gradual slowdown of growth in the asian tigers and brazil, MNCs are begin to face newer frontier emerging markets and Nigeria,Kenya,Indonesia,Malaysia And Mexico are increasingly the targets with their burgeoning middle class and reformist govts....and these are not empty trips, the HICC is a body established by OBJ during the mid 2000s which solicits for investment in nigeria, it is chaired by Baroness Lynda Chalker and a host of other top global business leaders and every year they meet either in Abuja Or London with mandatory attendance from the nigerian president and his economic team, its an opportunity for them to appraise the investment gains of the last year and look ahead, don't let your hate blind your objective judgment

16 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
Shame to the haters! Gej, till 2019

12 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by primusmaximus: 2:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
homesteady:
Bro don't waste your time on Agbameta

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Lilimax(f): 2:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
agbameta:

lmao...
Why are you troubled uneccesarily undecided?

8 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by LordVarys: 2:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
primus_maximus:
Bro don't waste your time on Agbameta
Exactly,that dude lives to bash GEJ or looks for any opportunity to exhibit his blatant foolery

12 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by priscaoge(f): 2:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
Are they also gonna discuss ASUU/ASUP Strike?? #JustAsking oooo cos students don 4get der Reg.No finish*Exits*
Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by simdam500(m): 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
agbameta:

lmao...

Comparing GEJ's pix to Mr. Fash.... d gov. look very much like a President.... while d Pres. looks............ smh

all the same get more well GEJ

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by ballabriggs: 2:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
Lord Varys:
You obviously are misinformed, nigeria had the highest FDI inflow in sub- saharan africa in the last year ahead of SA , with the gradual slowdown of growth in the asian tigers and brazil, MNCs are begin to face newer frontier emerging markets and Nigeria,Kenya,Indonesia,Malaysia And Mexico are increasingly the targets with their burgeoning middle class and reformist govts....and these are not empty trips, the HICC is a body established by OBJ in 2003 which solicits for investment in nigeria, it is chaired by Baroness Lynda Chalker and a host of other top global business leaders and every year they meet either in Abuja Or London with mandatory attendance from the nigerian president and his economic team, its an opportunity for them to appraise the investment gains of the last year and look ahead

Bla bla Nigeria had the highest amount of FDI in sub-saharan Africa. What level of significance is the issue. A good percentage of the FDIs to Nigeria last year were actually PFIs and not FDIs.

FDI inflows and outflows to Nigerian have not had much significance on growth and there are studies to support this. These studies have also made recommendations on reforms to attract growth FDIs. These leaders only need to implement these recommendations rather than these empty trips that lead to no where.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice
Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by agbameta: 2:38pm On Nov 22, 2013
homesteady:

1. The same woman in the picture welcomed Fashola weeks ago and going by the picture, the woman greated the Aso Rock dullard with the kind of hand shake you give to a school kid while in the Fashola pic, she looked up with joy, excitement, vigor and respect like she was welcoming a world leader.

2. Fashola didn't get drunk on duty, he did not keep people waiting or embarrass Nigeria, it was a dignified visit and he represented Nigeria honorably.

3. Fashola did not waste taxpayers money flying presidential jet with tons of useless pose of redundant public officials, incompetent governors and all end up getting drunk on duty.

I hope you do know how to read and comprehend..

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by Shine1177: 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Good speech Mr. President.
Can SaharaReporter be sane for once? They reported that Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan did not travel with the President but went to Poland instead because he feared the Met Police may pull him aside on former Gov. Ibori issue but there I see Gov. Uduaghan seated comfortably. I will stop taking SaharaReporter for their word henceforth.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital by 50calibre(m): 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Why is there always a look of cluelessness on this militant's face? He never seems to understand anything that goes on around him.

From these pics, he seems to be saying to himself " what the hell is going on here, can we concluded this ASAP so I can return to my fish & Ogogoro "

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The List Of Top 20 Most Corrupt Nigerians (dead/alive) According To CNN / A Policeman, Eight Shi'ites Killed In Kano Clash (Photos) / Fire Outbreak In Governor Aregbesola’s Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.