Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis (5686 Views)

I Criticise Buhari As Most Senior Governor In Nigeria — Fayose / Fayose Vs Buhari; Ekiti State Governor Takes Another Shot At GMB / Possible Outcome;2015 Presidential Election In Yoruba States;an Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by LordVarys: 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is my own personal analysis and opinion on the likely persons who might succeed Gov Emmanuel Uduaghan in 2015,
There appears to be a general consensus among the state's political establishment to transfer power to the Aniomas/Delta Igbos from the Delta North Senatorial District hence the frontrunners all hail from there , Delta is predominantly a PDP state so whosoever emerges the PDP Candidate will almost certainly be the next occupant of the Asaba Government House..the main contenders are:
Senator Arthur Ifeanyi Okowa]
Sen Okowa who currently represents the Delta North Senatorial District in the Senate is widely viewed as the FrontRunner, a medical doctor by profession, Okowa hails from Agbor and is considered the one of the most powerful forces in Delta politics, having served as a 2 time commisioner under James Ibori and SSG under Uduaghan.
He was the runner up to the current governor in the 2007 PDP governorship primaries,His strength lies in his impressive Political Structure but his primary weakness is the fact he is from a non oil producing area.
Victor Onyedikachukwu Ochei]
Current Speaker Of the State House Of Assembly Who Hails From Aniocha South, He is Very Young and a relatively new entrant but he has been gaining a lot of ground lately touring huge parts of the state, said to be immensely rich with a huge campaign war chest,he remains a candidate to watch,
]Omordi George Okwudili Ugbomah
He is widely regarded as a dark horse and could shock the others to pick the ticket, A 3 time Commisioner , Ugbomah hails from Aboh In Ndokwa East and this appears to be his strong point, many of the state's power brokers are not so comfortable with Okowa Or Ochei who are from core Anioma areas and are instead more amenable to a Candidate from the Ndokwa/Ukwuani tribe which is much closer to the Urhobos/Isokos/Ijaws and is also a major oil producing area.
]Godsday Orubebe]
Current Minister Of the Niger Delta who is of the Ijaw personality from Burutu LG, considered one of the closest people to President Jonathan which is the only thing he has going for him at present, a long time player in Delta Politics however,many feel he has little chance since he comes from the same senatorial district as outgoing gov uduaghan, even his mentor Chief Edwin Clark came out strongly against him contesting.
One other person who cannot be ruled out is Chief Great Ogboru who would most likely lead the opposition's charge on the DPP platform, however his fortunes have declined massively with many of his supporters including his brother decamping to the PDP, this was apparent in the last Delta Central Bye Elections(his home district) where his party, the DPP could barely muster 5% of the votes cast while the PDP scored over 90%,
Overall , if I was to place a bet on who the next governor of my darling state would be, Ifeany Okowa would seem the likeliest
NB Purely My Own Opinion as someone who's quite active in the Delta Political Scene,
Fellow Deltans should make their own contributions as they deem fit

1 Like

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Kanwulia: 3:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ochei is my man!!!! cool
Young HANDSOME and loveable!!! cool

3 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by wesley80(m): 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Kanwulia: Ochei is my man!!!! cool
A certified crook nontheless

2 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by chimex38: 4:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
Its obvious now....

Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'adua
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
Where is Monye The political unity in the central zone will change a lot of calculation in the race. Okowa will not gain any support in the central zone. Ochei is too much of a unknown in the state, how is the N27B IPP going. Uduaghan and Clark's will have a lot to say who becomes the next gov. My money is on Monye at this time. No more gangster or money bags.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Kponkwem(m): 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
Any calculation that excludes my own Ndudim Godwin Elumelu in the governorship equation of Delta State in 2015 is a misnomer.

His highpoints: 1) An experience politician with two terms in the House of Reps and on each occasion landing the solid committee chairs for Power and Health.

2) He has been cleared of any fraud allegations by the courts as a result of his inquiries in the power sector. Obasanjo stands indicted for the illegal waivers he granted for the IPPs and the disappearance of $16bn. But who will hold Obasanjo? Poor Ndudi.

3) He is from a solid financial background. His brother was for boss of United Bank for Africa, UBA and now Heirs Holdings, a global omnibus investment organisation.

4) He is connected to the powers that be and is endeared to President Goodluck Jonathan and other PDP leaders in Abuja.

5)He is a true Igbo son with full knowledge of his culture and respect for elders and critical stakeholders.

2 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
Personally I dont care who becomes the governor as long as the person creates development and takes the Delta-beyond-oil farther than what Uduaghan has initiated. If there is anything I will praise Uduaghan for, it will be his foresight.
All these names u guys are mentioning mean nothing to me. As much as I would like the next governor to come from Delta north, I cant vouch for any of these guys' integrity.

2 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by obuksjr(m): 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
@Op,from your untainted and unbiased opinion and analysis,it shows you are a grassroot follower of the political events and drama in Delta state.But if you want to delve further into the political arithmetics in Delta state,it will interest you to know that ethnicity play a major factor in chosing the governor.And for the time being,the ruling party,PDP has been favored because their candidates have always come from the region/regions that has/have the political wherewithal,will and war chest to decide who becomes the governor of the state.The Delta north,the Aniomas are agitating that it is their turn but feelers from the governor's camp shows that their 'anointed son' and favorite,Senator Ifeanyi okowa might be denied the ticket in the eleventh hour because PDP,wouldn't want to start political experiment by staking their victory.The Urhobos,the acclaimed most populated part of the state wouldn't hesitate or blink an eye to throw their weight behind any of their own especially Chief Great Ogboru from the opposition if PDP fails to present a candidate from that region ,and considering their cultural and political affiliations to the Delta south they can easily reach an agreement to vote their son.So a PDP ticket to Delta north would be a true test to determine how popular the party is by leveraging ethnic back ups it has been enjoying,that is 'election magic' apart.Constructive and critical analyses are welcome from Big hearts as events towards 2015 election unfold,cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 7:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
obuksjr: @Op,from your untainted and unbiased opinion and analysis,it shows you are a grassroot follower of the political events and drama in Delta state.But if you want to delve further into the political arithmetics in Delta state,it will interest you to know that ethnicity play a major factor in chosing the governor.And for the time being,the ruling party,PDP has been favored because their candidates have always come from the region/regions that has/have the political wherewithal,will and war chest to decide who becomes the governor of the state.The Delta north,the Aniomas are agitating that it is their turn but feelers from the governor's camp shows that their 'anointed son' and favorite,Senator Ifeanyi okowa might be denied the ticket in the eleventh hour because PDP,wouldn't want to start political experiment by staking their victory.The Urhobos,the acclaimed most populated part of the state wouldn't hesitate or blink an eye to throw their weight behind any of their own especially Chief Great Ogboru from the opposition if PDP fails to present a candidate from that region ,and considering their cultural and political affiliations to the Delta south they can easily reach an agreement to vote their son.So a PDP ticket to Delta north would be a true test to determine how popular the party is by leveraging ethnic back ups it has been enjoying,that is 'election magic' apart.Constructive and critical analyses are welcome from Big hearts as events towards 2015 election unfold,cheers.

Okowa will lose the ticket because of his Ibori baggage. Also the Urhobos will take their pound flesh from him. PDP will not make that mistake. Ogboru is finished in delta, that is pretty much clear to all. DPP is dead and buried.

2 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by obuksjr(m): 7:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
Kanwulia: Ochei is my man!!!! cool
Is that what qualifies one to be a governor?.Please try and eschew this 'it is our own syndrome' that has becloud us from moving forward and put quality first.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Olugbenger(m): 8:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
You guys are not that bright. where is APC in all these political calculations?

1 Like

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by LordVarys: 8:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
obuksjr: @Op,from your untainted and unbiased opinion and analysis,it shows you are a grassroot follower of the political events and drama in Delta state.But if you want to delve further into the political arithmetics in Delta state,it will interest you to know that ethnicity play a major factor in chosing the governor.And for the time being,the ruling party,PDP has been favored because their candidates have always come from the region/regions that has/have the political wherewithal,will and war chest to decide who becomes the governor of the state.The Delta north,the Aniomas are agitating that it is their turn but feelers from the governor's camp shows that their 'anointed son' and favorite,Senator Ifeanyi okowa might be denied the ticket in the eleventh hour because PDP,wouldn't want to start political experiment by staking their victory.The Urhobos,the acclaimed most populated part of the state wouldn't hesitate or blink an eye to throw their weight behind any of their own especially Chief Great Ogboru from the opposition if PDP fails to present a candidate from that region ,and considering their cultural and political affiliations to the Delta south they can easily reach an agreement to vote their son.So a PDP ticket to Delta north would be a true test to determine how popular the party is by leveraging ethnic back ups it has been enjoying,that is 'election magic' apart.Constructive and critical analyses are welcome from Big hearts as events towards 2015 election unfold,cheers.
I understand the points you're making bro but I tell you, the PDP will field an anioma candidate just that it might not be Okowa,the only potent Urhobo force was Sen Pius Ewherido who sadly passed on and no one seems ready to fill in his shoes, as a compensation for the Delta Central victory, jonathan will likely make one of kenneth gbagi or ovie omo agege a minister when he recomposes his cabinet,this means there will be hardly any viable Urhobo challenger even though urhobos have the largest political bloc, I make bold to say however that Ogboru is dead in delta politics, the last delta polls ws very clear, he even lost in abraka his hometown and since the PDP will likely pick a Delta South person, either Ovuosorie Macauley Or Funkekeme Solomon both of isoko and ijaw ethnic nationality as running mate to whoever emerges as the anioma candidate, this will surely secure the delta south support coupled with uduaghan also coming from there, 2015 will be full of intrigues but I still place my bet on okowa emerging,tnks for ur contribution bro
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by LordVarys: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Olugbenger: You guys are not that bright. where is APC in all this political calculations?
APC is virtually non existent in delta, if Ewherido was alive they myt have had a shot, Delta is PDP
In the last Delta Central polls, PDP polled 260k votes while APC and DPP had 20k each and Delta Central is normally where the opposition is strongest talkless of Delta North and Delta South where PDP will sweep at least 95%

2 Likes

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by obuksjr(m): 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
atlwireles:

Okowa will lose the ticket because of his Ibori baggage. Also the Urhobos will take their pound flesh from him. PDP will not make that mistake. Ogboru is finished in delta, that is pretty much clear to all. DPP is dead and buried.
As regards to Ogboru being finished,are you speaking as an opposition or just personal prejudice against his political aspiration?,what if PDP chose to pitch a tent with Delta north,will you still be skeptical about his landslide victory if the calculation above stands without manipulation ?.Just wait,the last has not been heard about 2015.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
I'LL GIVE IT TO SENATOR IFEANYI OKOWA
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by obuksjr(m): 8:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
AKUNWATA1: I'LL GIVE IT TO SENATOR IFEANYI OKOWA
That is a wish bro,you have the right.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Sidomi: 3:55am On Nov 23, 2013
Mr Fidelis Tilije of APC will rule Delta come 2015. He is a sound accountant and philanthropist in Delta State. Watch out for Apc
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by obuksjr(m): 8:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
Sidomi: Mr Fidelis Tilije of APC will rule Delta come 2015. He is a sound accountant and philanthropist in Delta State. Watch out for Apc
Has he decamped from DPP?.The last time I checked he was still Ogboru's deputy.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
obuksjr: Has he decamped from DPP?.The last time I checked he was still Ogboru's deputy.

Nobody from APC will ever be elected to anything in delta. APC and DPP are dead in delta.

1 Like

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 9:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
obuksjr: As regards to Ogboru being finished,are you speaking as an opposition or just personal prejudice against his political aspiration?,what if PDP chose to pitch a tent with Delta north,will you still be skeptical about his landslide victory if the calculation above stands without manipulation ?.Just wait,the last has not been heard about 2015.

Ogboru is politically finished in delta. As an urhoboman, the victory of PDP at the last senatorial election brought so much joy to my soul. Because the urhobos have finally defeated the enemy within, which was the DPP.The Next Gov. of the State will only emerge with the blessings of the delta central zone, as long, as we remain united in the PDP. We cannot enter 2015 with a house divided again. Urhobos must learn from the disaster of 2007 and 2011
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by LordVarys: 7:45am On Jan 04, 2014
After seeing the thread on fp about patrick utomi I realize so many are misinformed and have no idea about delta politics, utomi is obviously a fabulous candidate but he stands no chance whatsoever, delta is PDP and PDP is delta...fellow deltans,let's reinvigorate this thread and brainstorm on the future of our state

1 Like

Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by LordVarys: 3:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
7 months more
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
Sen Ifeanyi Okowa will be the next governor of delta state
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 3:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
There were rumours of Utomi decamping to PDP, however he came on twitter to deny it. The politics of the gov's race, looks too cloudy for now. Just a wait and see situation.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 3:13pm On Jul 22, 2014
SenseiX: Sen Ifeanyi Okowa will be the next governor of delta state

That's one name you can take off the list. After engineering the removal of ochei, he has further isolated himself.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
atlwireles: There were rumours of Utomi decamping to PDP, however he came on twitter to deny it. The politics of the gov's race, looks too cloud for now. Just a wait and see situation.
Even if Utomi decamps, he is too much of a political featherweight to make an impact, the field is strangely quiet, the big three, Okowa,Ochei and Orubebe seem to be watching from the background and making consultations, I guess they all learnt from Ochei's fall,
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
atlwireles:

That's one name you can take off the list. After engineering the removal of ochei, he has further isolated himself.
I doubt that, Sen Okowa still remains in my opinion the strongest of the pack and he showed his deftness in the way he removed Ochei, however Orubebe is no pushover and I fancy Uduaghan supporting a dark horse, also one can't rule out the Villa's influence in the equation.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by fairheven: 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
Other zones shu join hands to bring it to Asaba zone.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 3:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
emk4lif:
I doubt that, Sen Okowa still remains in my opinion the strongest of the pack and he showed his deftness in the way he removed Ochei, however Orubebe is no pushover and I fancy Uduaghan supporting a dark horse, also one can't rule out the Villa's influence in the equation.

I don't know, if I will call the removal of Ochei smart politics. Victor is popular and the man made his political name with a very small party, before decamping to PDP. He has a strong base of supporters, true believers.. Okowa just has too many political enemies, if I may use that word. They are all waiting to stick their knives in him.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 3:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
emk4lif:
Even if Utomi decamps, he is too much of a political featherweight to make an impact, the field is strangely quiet, the big three, Okowa,Ochei and Orubebe seem to be watching from the background and making consultations, I guess they all learnt from Ochei's fall,

Is pretty much a wait and see game. The gov seeking the senatorial seat from delta south has made lots of things complicated.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
atlwireles:

I don't know, if I will call the removal of Ochei smart politics. Victor is popular and the man made his political name with a very small party, before decamping to PDP. He has a strong base of supporters, true believers.. Okowa just has too many political enemies, if I may use that word. They are all waiting to stick their knives in him.
It would have been political naive of him to have allowed Ochei continue gaining momentum , he just had to take the Speakership from him. While indeed he has a lot of foes, he still has the most solid base of any politician aside Ibori's in Delta and I think Gov Uduaghan would prefer Okowa to Ochei anyday.
Like you said we can only but wait and see.
Re: Who Would Be The Next Delta State Governor In 2015- An Analysis by atlwireles: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2014
emk4lif:
It would have been political naive of him to have allowed Ochei continue gaining momentum , he just had to take the Speakership from him. While indeed he has a lot of foes, he still has the most solid base of any politician aside Ibori's in Delta and I think Gov Uduaghan would prefer Okowa to Ochei anyday.

Uduaghan will definitely prefer Okowa. By here's the big problem, why did Okowa and his political advisers allow Uduaghan to get into a senatorial race in Delta south? The last time I checked the incumbent is still seeking reelection. Ochei popularity is real, not just in Northern zone, but across the state. I don't see how Okowa is going to stop that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Shocking Atrocities Committed By General Muhammad Buhari / Now That Wike Has Won.... First Set of Actions / Photos Of People Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Nimbo, Uzo-uwani LGA Of Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.