Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,236 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals (9935 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Cohabitation: A Recipe For Successful Marriage - Live Debate - Group B / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by RoyalRoy(m): 1:57am On Nov 24, 2013
Well done TV and Obinoscopy.

You have both argued well for and against.

Well done guys.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 24, 2013
Tgal and debators, u all are amazing.

I observed one thing.
Pls can we leave the bible out of this debate?
The bible makes no sense to a muslim debator or an etheist.
(On d other hand, Tgal, we should look for a muslim and an atheist to complete the equation, what do u think)

Wonderful presentation from both sides.
Very well articulated too.
I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 7:07am On Nov 24, 2013
Good debate but for Christians only( much emphasis on monogamy,Bible)

Welldone @ contestants.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 7:09am On Nov 24, 2013
Thanks Yellowpawpaw.

The debaters were volunteers. There is really no way to know the religion of some of them at the early stage.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Obinoscopy(m): 7:32am On Nov 24, 2013
TV01:

Please read again, it's there. Here is an additional one where it's "in one' face".

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2004/03/marriage-still-the-safest-place-for-women-and-children

TV
Thanks for this reference. This was exactly what I was looking for. The other references you provided were not in correlation with the topic of discuss but this one is. Weldone!
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by TV01(m): 3:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Tgal and debators, u all are amazing.

I observed one thing.
Pls can we leave the bible out of this debate?
The bible makes no sense to a muslim debator or an etheist.

(On d other hand, Tgal, we should look for a muslim and an atheist to complete the equation, what do u think)

Wonderful presentation from both sides.
Very well articulated too.
I enjoyed it.

ifyalways: Good debate but for Christians only( much emphasis on monogamy,Bible)

Welldone @ contestants.

Tgirl4real: Thanks Yellowpawpaw.

The debaters were volunteers. There is really no way to know the religion of some of them at the early stage.

Thanks Guys,

In the first round, my submission did not mention scripture except in reference to the topic - from whence it derived - and footnotes. In the second round, I mentioned religion and culture in passing and made it clear they were not the mainstays of my position, my respondent chose to focus on nothing else. Choosing to focus on denigrating religion and totally ignoring the valid practical posers I made.

In this round, my submission did not contain a single reference to God, the divine, faith, religion or any scripture. The debate flowed the way it did. I could have simply ignored references to the Bible, but that would have seemed like I was failing to rebut.

Having made both of those points, why should religion be left out of public discourse? Everyone subscribes to a particular worldview - even if it's not a well articulated or codified one - what makes or who deems religious persuasions any less valid?

Marxism, feminism, atheism and every other ideology one could mention has it's voice. No one denies them the right to postulate and promulgate their viewpoints

I am not insisting that faith is to be the sole determinant of social policy or laws, but it is wrong to want to stifle the voice of those who speak out of a deeply held faith. In many instances they are in fact the majority.

Faith as I experience it translates into tried and trusted practical principles. Indeed, I was perhaps remiss in not touching on it in my submission, as it seems I will be judged on bias against my faith even where I don't refer to it? I am more convinced than ever, that the truth of faith discomforts and convicts and that's why there is such a clamour against it.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by TV01(m): 3:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
Obinoscopy: Thanks for this reference. This was exactly what I was looking for. The other references you provided were not in correlation with the topic of discuss but this one is. Weldone!

No problemo.

Have a pleasant Sunday.

TV
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
TV, how do u want me to answer ur kweshion naw?
Me, I no sabi grammer too much.
Let me consult my dickitionary.
It will take time o.
Just wait, I dey come.

Me think that since we hv diverse religiou beliefs, when used in context like this, mostly d aim is defeated since all side will start defending their faith(w'out knowing it) instead of focusing on the topic of discussion.
Also, other major points which would hv surfaced and treated equally will automatically die natural death.
Let us not forget that the debate has to be neutral.

Then again, we can pair and learn from both sides(if actually that's the aim) without throwing stones but can that be obtainable here.

Two christians quoting the bible is meaningless to a muslim reading the post or a free thinker. Think about it.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Obinoscopy(m): 3:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
TV01: In the first round, my submission did not mention scripture except in reference to the topic - from whence it derived - and footnotes. In the second round, I mentioned religion and culture in passing and made it clear they were not the mainstays of my position, my respondent chose to focus on nothing else. Choosing to focus on denigrating religion and totally ignoring the valid practical posers I made.
Tut tut. You're very wrong @ the bolded. I addressed the topic from different angles. This is enough evidence that you did not read my presentation and did not address my rebuttals effectively.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by TV01(m): 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
Obinoscopy: Tut tut. You're very wrong @ the bolded. I addressed the topic from different angles. This is enough evidence that you did not read my presentation and did not address my rebuttals effectively.

We debated in the current - third round (i.e. this round) - not the second.

TV
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Obinoscopy(m): 3:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
TV01:

We debated in the current - third round - not the second.

TV
Okay, I thought you were referring to me. Apologies
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by TV01(m): 3:54pm On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: TV, how do u want me to answer ur kweshion naw?
Me, I no sabi grammer too much.
Let me consult my dickitionary.
It will take time o.
Just wait, I dey come.

Me think that since we hv diverse religiou beliefs, when used in context like this, mostly d aim is defeated since all side will start defending their faith(w'out knowing it) instead of focusing on the topic of discussion.
Also, other major points which would hv surfaced and treated equally will automatically die natural death.
Let us not forget that the debate has to be neutral.

Then again, we can pair and learn from both sides(if actually that's the aim) without throwing stones but can that be obtainable here.

Two christians quoting the bible is meaningless to a muslim reading the post or a free thinker. Think about it.

I take your point, but this debate did not centre around or focus on religion. Like I said, I did not mention it in any way shape or form in my submission.

Are the claims made by the religious necessarily exclusive to them? Or exactly the same for all religions? The practical outworkings of religious positions can be challenged or discussed, just like any other, whatever its origins.

A Christian and a Muslim could well argue monogamy vs. polygamy, does their faith invalidate their views? Many non-religionists now arguing for poly-marriages, is it fine because theirs is not a faith-derived position when they argue for it?

The thread is now open for general debate. I'd love to hear - and would be more than happy to discuss - points that do not touch on - or without touching on - religion in the slightest.

TV
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 4:38pm On Nov 24, 2013
@TV, I personally felt the debate was more of a Christian's POV(you can't be faulted though) because right from your opening line, you(and even Obino) defined marriage as a monogamous union.

Like I said earlier,neither you nor Obino can be faulted. If I were to debate too, I will be inclined to draw up my points from my own personal,religious beliefs.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 8:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lerrie John, this is not the debate thread pls.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Fynestboi: 8:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
Abeg na who win mami tgirl
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 8:29pm On Nov 24, 2013
Fynestboi: Abeg na who win mami tgirl

Result newa come out. We are holding group B semi finals now. Results will be released afterwards.

Mean while, help us publicise the life debate.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 8:32pm On Nov 24, 2013
Interesting so far. Both contestants are on fire
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Fynestboi: 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ok mami to sure prettiest mum in the e-world.. Am waiting sha
Tgirl4real:

Result newa come out. We are holding group B semi finals now. Results will be released afterwards.

Mean while, help us publicise the life debate.
trust me for that am doing that already.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
ifyalways: Interesting so far. Both contestants are on fire

Thanks jare our no 1 audience
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lerrie,lol but most couple on do kpekus and loving up during weekends and vacations. Infact, how many young couples living in Naija ever do couple's vacation?

A moment of silence for Nlder Vivian Chinasa- may God comfort her loved ones.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 9:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
ifyalways: Lerrie,lol but most couple on do kpekus and loving up during weekends and vacations. Infact, how many young couples living in Naija ever do couple's vacation?

A moment of silence for Nlder Vivian Chinasa- may God comfort her loved ones.

Yesso...just seeing the thread. Sorry to hear about her demise
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Tgal, I tot we should hv shifted this debate bc of vivian's death. Though I would hv suggested earlier but I was in shock. She was part of of the family and I think it will be good to accord her that deserved respect. Most pple won't be able to follow this debate like me cos of shock.
But its too late naw, abi? They hv already started.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Tgal, I tot we should hv shifted this debate bc of vivian's death. Though I would hv suggested earlier but I was in shock. She was part of of the family and I think it will be good to accord her that deserved respect. Most pple won't be able to follow this debate like me cos of shock.
But its too late naw, abi? They hv already started.

Yes, it crossed my mind, but it is already too late.

You posted the info after we had started.

It is well o my sister.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 9:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
YPP, too late. Participation will reduce for sure.

Efe and Lerie, na same ogogoro una shack? Fierce rebuttals, less of religious dogmas,more of practical points. Lovely
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 10:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
See agreement.

Will that agreement hold water in Naija? I personally think that greater percent of people who co-habit in Naija do it for 2 reasons:
Desperate for marriage
Financial gains.(No or less rent,food)
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by ifyalways(f): 10:25pm On Nov 24, 2013
I'm curious. Who is Lerie?

Where dem nld resident cohabiters-in-sin, Dayo,Coogar and co? Lerie has "spokes", y'all should stay still,listen and amend your lives.
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by coogar: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2013
ifyalways: I'm curious. Who is Lerie?

Where dem nld resident cohabiters-in-sin, Dayo,Coogar and co? Lerie has "spokes", y'all should stay still,listen and amend your lives.

nothing can make me change my cohabiting habits. think about it - cooked food, sleeping on fresh sheets, well-ironed clothes, clean apartment & quality sex every evening. lerrie is only preaching to the penguins. grin cheesy
Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by jaybee3(m): 11:56am On Nov 25, 2013
Well done guys.

You guys are all winners IMO

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Tgirl4real(f): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is very tight.

Wow!

Kudos to you guys.

And congrats Scopy, winner just by 0.5pts. That was pretty tight. tough argument. smiley

Una well done judges!

I wish we had a tie so that the battle can continue. cry tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals by Fynestboi: 12:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
Jubilating ope ooooooo congrat bossman obinoscopy.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Family Budget That Works - updated with spread sheet. / I Just Don't Understand My Marriage Anymore... Please Help.. / How To Mend A Marriage After An Affair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.