Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,806 members, 7,806,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research (6167 Views)

FUTA 500 level Student Wins Tony Elemelu’s $10,000 Grant (Photo) / Buhari Receives Ufot Ekong, Nigerian Student That Solved 30yr Old Math Puzzle / UNIJOS Admission List Released! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Fynestboi: 7:27pm On Nov 22, 2013

Unijos -The University of Jos has received an eight million dollar grant from the World Bank to establish of an African Centre of Excellence to research on the production of drugs from plants (phytomedicine).

The Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof Hayward Mafuyai, made the fact known in Jos on Friday when he briefed newsmen on the research activities of the institution.

He said that the award was given based on the university’s entry in the call by the bank for research initiatives from African universities.

“We competed with about 52 universities in Africa and we were lucky to win the grant.

“The grant was given to the university to conduct researches to produce modern drugs from plants in Africa

“The grant will be used to conduct researches on different leaves, roots and plants so as to extract their medicinal contents for the use of human beings.

“The team of researchers from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science will carry out the research

“The money will be released to the researchers in phases so as to complete the work without hitches, “ he said

The vice-chancellor also said that the university emerged as the best in the category of universities in the country during the second Education Innovation Exhibition announced in Abuja on Wednesday, Nov. 13.

He said that “the Federal Ministry of Education in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Science and Technology organised the exhibition.

“The team of researchers from the university has produced some drugs for the use of Nigerians.

“Our researchers have produced anti-hypertension, anti-diabetes, anti-malaria drugs and anti snake venom.

“We have sent the newly developed drugs to some overseas universities for further verification on their potency,“ he said

Mafuyai said that the institution had also signed a Memorandum (MoU) of Understanding with the university of Cape- Coast in Ghana to train its staff.

“The MOU is signed for initial three year duration for the purpose of omithology: to develop and carry out conservation based training,“ he said.

The vice-chancellor appealed to philanthropists to come to the aid of the university so that it could become the best in the country. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/unijos-wins-8m-dollars-world-bank-grant-research/

2 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by theplanmaker: 7:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
embezzlement things
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Tolexander: 7:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
When i saw this thread, i remembered pharmacognosy!

2 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by laketop(m): 10:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Hmmmmmm yeeeeeeeee dis is money 1st page tinz
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 10:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
waxup niggaz. Notin concern me
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by pjosh1(m): 10:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
I just hope they spend the money wisely because giving grants and financial aids to Nigeria is like giving a dog bone to keep.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Wisdytech(m): 10:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Welcome devment! Congrat.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by firstolalekan(m): 10:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
my foolish school with wicked and selfish management. angry
smh!

they don't deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Zikdik(m): 10:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
Tolexander: When i saw this thread, i remembered pharmacognosy!
Are you a fellow man of honour?
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by ednut1(m): 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
Free money, all dis aids and grants self, ole ji ole gba
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by brownlord: 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
If i guess right, the sharin formular wld be, vc, 3mil, registra, dvc, dean, and other top cult members, 3 mil, faulty dean and sub dean 1.5 m. Then some lecturers share 500k.

EOD end of discussion. Even jedi no go come out from this research

Wait world bank no knw say ASUU dey on strike?

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Bardic: 10:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
Final year students of physiology and pharmaclogy under science lab tech were used to acomplish this research it was given to them as their project work, i no almost all the students dat worked on dat project especially anti venom dat stucked the students dried, still the school will nt send them for service and nw the same school is taken their glory. Dat is wickedness

2 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by taharqa: 10:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
Very important Research interest- producing drugs from African plants
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by firstolalekan(m): 10:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
Bardi.c:
Final year students of physiology and pharmaclogy under science lab tech were used to acomplish this research it was given to them as their project work, i no almost all the students dat worked on dat project especially anti venom dat stucked the students dried, still the school will nt send them for service and nw the same school is taken their glory. Dat is wickedness

Na una no know the right thing to do Na....

take it PERSONAL© with them.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by locust01(m): 10:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nka dikwa outrageous.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by tiamiyukunle69(m): 10:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sounds great. I hope the grant will be maximally utilized!!!
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by solomon111(m): 10:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
brownlord: If i guess right, the sharin formular wld be, vc, 3mil, registra, dvc, dean, and other top cult members, 3 mil, faulty dean and sub dean 1.5 m. Then some lecturers share 500k.

EOD end of discussion. Even jedi no go come out from this research

Wait world bank no knw say ASUU dey on strike?
Shut up and stop trying to ridicule the name and hardworking staffs of a prestigious university.
How much is $8million that you think will make a federal university lose its credibity?
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Francishez(m): 10:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
P. D . P....share d money!!
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by K0ala7(m): 10:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
The only efficient way to get anything done in Nigeria these days is by coming down, setting up, and running the operation yourself. Otherwise indiscipline will overcome our people and they'll just move on with your money with no results.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by picoba(m): 10:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok o

Na today then de receive that

They will Squander the money before January 2014

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by firstolalekan(m): 10:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
solomon111: Shut up and stop trying to ridicule the name and hardworking staffs of a prestigious university.
How much is $8million that you think will make a federal university lose its credibity?

u shut up.
dat was my school.
he his right.
Dats the way it could be.

prestigious staff my arss.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Jman06(m): 10:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Proudly a Josite! I doff my hat to the greatest citadel of learning. Great Unijos!

2 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by naijathings(m): 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
$8M*155 = 1.2Billion
research..
they will spend every penny on the research..
NA SO

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by enemaly: 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
i believe my schl die, greatest josites una 2 much bt make una use d money well share ooo

2 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
Lazy lecturers part of that money will be embezzled, most of this work have already been done. oloshi

ooo Nigeria recieves aid from U.S.A, Canada, Britain, European union............where are all the money? In someone's bank account.
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by brownlord: 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
solomon111: Shut up and stop trying to ridicule the name and hardworking staffs of a prestigious university.

Who d hell is dis idiot, can you prove otherwise? Pls tell me such money hv not bn invested into that same uni. Before, you must be stupid to ask me hw mch is $8 million united state dollars and what it will do to the lives of those foolish old corrupt professors, now pick up your calculator and get to work. 8000,000 X 150 tell me ur figure and explain hw such money is used in one school and the bastards still complain abt lack of facilities in same uni

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by brosdoncome(m): 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
aLOOTer continua for the VC and other top management inclusive. See as school entrance b like say d school na wild-life reserve.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by 9jahubcom(m): 11:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
good
Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Jussi(m): 11:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
Bardi.c:

My brother, I can imagine that students must have performed preliminary tests on the subject. But it would be unfair to allege that those academics are taking all the glory when the actual work hasn't even began. For your info, the proposed study will run for several years judging from the subject area and budget. I can bet that the actual experiments will be conducted by postgraduate/doctoral students, with most of the final sample processing/analytics performed in foreign laboratories. The depth of this particular scientific work is beyond what can be left to undergraduate students.

As a word of advice, you and your colleagues should try to publish your research findings as journal articles, to be able to lay claims to your work.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by sholatech(m): 11:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Also proud to read this..Greatest of the Greatest Josites!!!

3 Likes

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by Pattey(m): 12:18am On Nov 23, 2013
UNIJOS does not deserve this money. This is a seriously dysfunctional institution with staff that should be choked!

This same University was queried about 2months ago by House of Reps members who on oversight function visit to the school learnt that over 100Million naira was returned to the FG because they failed to spend it.

A school that fails to spend its allocations for 'much needed' development also happened to be one of those schools that voted against calling off the strike (if its true they voted against tho).

Irony; fighting for increased funding when they are returning several millions in unspent allocation.
How ridiculous some Nigerians can be!

Its just a dysfunctional school and God should start choking peeps whose thinking negates progress. The less of them we have, the better for us!

World Bank must have been high on something when awarding this to a senseless institution.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research by atlwireles: 2:18am On Nov 23, 2013
After reading through some comments here, the abysmal morals in this country makes more sense to me. Good luck to Unijos. There are hundreds of billions available around the world from different groups seeking solutions to problems. I hope Unijos makes a habit of this. Stop waiting for government.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Refurbished Unilag Rugged Shodeinde Hall(pics) / Fut Minna 2007/2008 Admission List Is Out / 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.